• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Which car/Suv should I buy

C_J

Question

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out which Japanese  car has the most comfortable seats. I like to have a sofa like sitting experience, which Premio offer as most of you already mentioned.

Is there any better alternative?

Edited by C_J
Thread went on a different direction, hence changed the title

4 hours ago, Gummybr said:

That rust needs to be addressed quickly. Was it used close to the sea?

In Panadura about 2-3km away from the sea for about 3 years now. Bought it around Atthidiya. 

Moral of this thread- OP is indecisive without telling me he is indecisive!

I usually just go see a few cars and just buy what I fall in love with. Usually it’s thirsty, unreliable and something nobody would dare buy. See if that works for you. 

• Haha 1

On 10/14/2023 at 4:33 AM, fiat fan said:

I usually just go see a few cars and just buy what I fall in love with. Usually it’s thirsty, unreliable and something nobody would dare buy. See if that works for you. 

Sadly true and can relate. The Mark X I bought out of pity for the car as it needed help. This was a time before your average SL car enthusiast started lusting for one.

• Like 1

On 10/15/2023 at 6:28 PM, iRage said:

Sadly true and can relate. The Mark X I bought out of pity for the car as it needed help. This was a time before your average SL car enthusiast started lusting for one.

Every JDM fanboy now- 2JZ karan nadda. Even if its a liteace!

• Haha 2

On 10/10/2023 at 12:16 AM, C_J said:

And now I see a lot of low-mileage civics on the market, I can't help it but think that the owners might be fed up with something to give up so quickly

The 10th Gen civics when they started coming in around 2018 were around 6Mill. Attractive at that price point - was bought en-masse by many people. 5 years later, the price of octane 95 is closing in on 500 :D it's a bit expensive to maintain for some people. Even I bought the same model to use for 5 years and then upgrade. But really I don't see any upgrade options

On 10/21/2023 at 12:38 AM, fiat fan said:

Every JDM fanboy now- 2JZ karan nadda. Even if its a liteace!

True that. Even the price of a 1JZ engine/gearbox combo has jacked up in recent times :D  "KE70 ekata 2JZ ekak tiyamu bro" 

On 10/14/2023 at 8:03 AM, fiat fan said:

Moral of this thread- OP is indecisive without telling me he is indecisive!

I took your advice and bought a Kia Sorento a few days after this post. My son loved the panoramic sunroof and wife wanted a SUV 😁 (women). Had a test drive and I fell in love with it 😍

Was reluctant to update here as I went against all other options I was considering and you guys spent time advising me, but finally made up my mind to announce it. 

It had only 58K on the meter, company maintained. I went to the company and got the mileage verified. Went to CarChecks and got a score of 96%. 

Love the torque it gives. I was worried about handling and turning back around narrow lanes as it's longer than the Swift I was driving, but remarkably I find handling easier than the Swift. Got it serviced at Kia Lanka, replaced the brake pads, bushes and the radiator as well. 

Need to replace tires soon, checking my options.

Thank you all for all your advice, learned a lot during that time. 

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, C_J said:

I took your advice and bought a Kia Sorento a few days after this post. My son loved the panoramic sunroof and wife wanted a SUV 😁 (women). Had a test drive and I fell in love with it 😍

Was reluctant to update here as I went against all other options I was considering and you guys spent time advising me, but finally made up my mind to announce it. 

It had only 58K on the meter, company maintained. I went to the company and got the mileage verified. Went to CarChecks and got a score of 96%. 

Love the torque it gives. I was worried about handling and turning back around narrow lanes as it's longer than the Swift I was driving, but remarkably I find handling easier than the Swift. Got it serviced at Kia Lanka, replaced the brake pads, bushes and the radiator as well. 

Need to replace tires soon, checking my options.

Thank you all for all your advice, learned a lot during that time. 

Congratulations 🎊🍾 
See bro! That wasn’t too hard was it? Facelift model?

In my experience, most of the times I think of something and do the opposite when it comes to cars and even life.

I research on buying an ecobox thats easy to live with, goes and buys an Alfa Romeo 156.

Pictures or as @iRage says, it never happened.

Also wait what!? You replaced the radiator? Why? 58k is too early for a radiator change unless used by a dumbass.

Tires, just buy a good korean or jap brand. ALL THE Korean cars in the US come with Kumho or Hankook. They are good tires. Don't listen to the dumbasses who say get Michelin/Continental, Too expensive and too much tire for a Sorento.

3 hours ago, fiat fan said:

Also wait what!? You replaced the radiator? Why? 58k is too early for a radiator change unless used by a dumbass.

Well...seen this happen even in new Premios and Axios as well. The issue is more od a dumb@@@ user. Apparently they use cheap coolant and dilute it too much. So the internals start developing surface rust because of the higher water content and cheap coolant (which by itself is higly diluted...apparenlty).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fiat fan said:

I also thought the same. Company mechanics suggested showing few issues, I just thought it's better to replace it while it was there than get into trouble while on a long trip. They didn't say it's an immediate job but recommended to get it replaced soon. So I got it done at the same time.

WhatsApp Image 2023-12-04 at 10.43.22 AM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-12-04 at 10.43.50 AM.jpeg

On 12/3/2023 at 6:28 PM, iRage said:

Well...seen this happen even in new Premios and Axios as well. The issue is more od a dumb@@@ user. Apparently they use cheap coolant and dilute it too much. So the internals start developing surface rust because of the higher water content and cheap coolant (which by itself is higly diluted...apparenlty).

Ok now that IS concerning. I know personally that the STR brand coolant is pure dyed water. My mech had a Caltex dealer and he proved this to me.

On 12/3/2023 at 9:15 PM, C_J said:

WhatsApp Image 2023-12-04 at 10.39.09 AM.jpeg

Very nice. Not many Facelifts in the Island. Too early for a facelift (delivery took 9 months in 2011 bnew) and a tax hike kept it rare.

On 12/3/2023 at 9:21 PM, C_J said:

I also thought the same. Company mechanics suggested showing few issues, I just thought it's better to replace it while it was there than get into trouble while on a long trip. They didn't say it's an immediate job but recommended to get it replaced soon. So I got it done at the same time.

WhatsApp Image 2023-12-04 at 10.43.22 AM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-12-04 at 10.43.50 AM.jpeg

Hmm why is it bent like that? Bumper dent? Anyway good you got it fixed.

On 12/5/2023 at 10:46 PM, C_J said:

😁

WhatsApp Image 2023-12-06 at 12.05.12 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-12-06 at 12.07.37 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-12-06 at 12.07.29 PM.jpeg

Love the chestnut interior. Tints done too. A nice detail with a sealant coating wax(not a full coating) should keep it shiny.

OT- See how nicer life is when you stop worrying about petty sh💩t like resale, fuel economy and other bs.

To think op was going to buy a onlyne busynes ontapernr Civic FK. No offense to @matroska or the others. They were very worth at under 7 mil bnew. But 125 for a yakada heena tiktok special with 90k? Hell nah!

Anyone decided to stay in Lanka with a 20 mil  cash flow for a new car is not thinking rationally. So go right ahead and live wild. 

Edited by fiat fan
These love juice threads are worse than a new gen lankan rapper. Satha pada satta padi 😅
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, fiat fan said:

OT- See how nicer life is when you stop worrying about petty sh💩t like resale, fuel economy and other bs.

Exactly 😁

• Like 1

I need all your help with something.

Sorento originally has the following tyre size: 235/60R18
That's what was mentioned on registration (book).

But now it has 245/65R17 tyres. 

The previous owner had changed the alloy wheels to 17 rim size and used 245/65R17 tyre size.

When I check on tiresize.com I can see that it's 0.4 inches taller. Is that an issue?

I know it affects the speedo matter slightly. Can this cause bigger issues?

image.thumb.png.8074607c79e2e88e8feff6bbf80f85bc.png

If I go for 235/65R17 size, difference becomes less but it becomes 0.1 inches shorter. 

image.thumb.png.0ebc259e6c2bc86935c07ede13fa4408.png

I'm going to change the tyres soon. 

Should I go with the same tyre size as it has now, 245/65R17

or should I change it to something else?

Your valuable advice is highly appreciated.

Edited by C_J
Typo

21 hours ago, C_J said:

I need all your help with something.

Sorento originally has the following tyre size: 235/60R18
That's what was mentioned on registration (book).

But now it has 245/65R17 tyres. 

The previous owner had changed the alloy wheels to 17 rim size and used 245/65R17 tyre size.

When I check on tiresize.com I can see that it's 0.4 inches taller. Is that an issue?

I know it affects the speedo matter slightly. Can this cause bigger issues?

image.thumb.png.8074607c79e2e88e8feff6bbf80f85bc.png

If I go for 235/65R17 size, difference becomes less but it becomes 0.1 inches shorter. 

image.thumb.png.0ebc259e6c2bc86935c07ede13fa4408.png

I'm going to change the tyres soon. 

Should I go with the same tyre size as it has now, 245/65R17

or should I change it to something else?

Your valuable advice is highly appreciated.

Speedo might be off abit. Other than that the suspension might be affected. But Dont quote me on that. @iRage is the best guy for these questions. 

Well...height increases with tire size has lesser negative complications/issues than lifting the car with the suspension (e.g. lowering springs, height increasing bumper stops, etc...). With the wheels getting larger the entire car with the suspension components get raised as opposed to with a suspension height change the body and suspension components change height/position whilst the wheels remain at the same point. This messes up the telemetry...

Wheel size tire increases are mostly with things like change in speedometer, turning radius differences, clearence issues (i.e. wheel rubbing fender liners, suspension struts, etc...). Also, depending on how drastic the wheel size change is you wheel feel a slight difference in how the car pulls as it can change how much torque is required to rotate the wheel. A larger rim size requires more torque to turn thus works quite well when the car is running in its top end (higher revs for high torque). But it will feel like the car is slow to move when the engine is working at the low end (there is a reason why race cars actually have large rim sizes...well...maybe not rally cars...rally cars have small rim sizes but chubby tires). A small wheel size would be the opposite. This is also the reason why you might see a drop in fuel efficiency (most of our baases claim it is because the wheel is heavy when in fact a good set of large allow wheels will weight less than the stock alloy rims)

Being an AWD what is important in your case is making sure all four wheels are the same, i.e. same size, same type of tire.

• Like 1

On 12/8/2023 at 12:35 PM, fiat fan said:

No offense to @matroska or the others. They were very worth at under 7 mil bnew. But 125 for a yakada heena tiktok special with 90k? Hell nah!

mcn...collange yacada hin wlta hina wenn epa mcn...ubl meh malasian car peda peda irisy crnn epa ... ubl mna kiwwth api ape gman yanawa mcn...civik wthrk nem mcn depndr ecacuth bassnwa harida... thada thada 

• Haha 3

24 minutes ago, matroska said:

mcn...collange yacada hin wlta hina wenn epa mcn...ubl meh malasian car peda peda irisy crnn epa ... ubl mna kiwwth api ape gman yanawa mcn...civik wthrk nem mcn depndr ecacuth bassnwa harida... thada thada 

Thada thada jathi. i8 thama machan ontapenrr yakada heena. #3කලා ftw

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, fiat fan said:

Thada thada jathi. i8 thama machan ontapenrr yakada heena.

(Likes a video of an i8 with a sinhala-rap song (they all sound the same?) in the background on tiktok on iPon 15 pro max bought from idealz (and got photo posted on their fb page) while waiting for the pickme food guy to deliver the cheese kottu from mr kottu...plan to give the pick me guy 100 rs and write an essay on facebook about it)

Edited by matroska
  • Haha 1

Hi all,

I'm planning to go with the same tyre size as it currently has, 245/65R17

But I could only find this size in 2 brads. Fedaral and Nankang. Only 2 Fedaral tyres are available in stocks. DOT XX22. Nankang DOT XX23

I was trying to find a better brand but this size is not available. 

What should be the best,

* Go with 2 available Fedaral tyres and 2 Nankang tyres

* Go with all 4 Nankang tyres

Edited by C_J

6 hours ago, C_J said:

I was trying to find a better brand but this size is not available.

What sizes are there ? Anything that is compatible with the car ?

6 hours ago, C_J said:

What should be the best,

* Go with 2 available Fedaral tyres and 2 Nankang tyres

* Go with all 4 Nankang tyres

Tricky....ideally you need to have the same tire size and tire type, especially for an AWD. This also means ideally you need to have the same brand and model as well because differences in characteristics such as materials used, slight differences in grooves, etc...can affect the grip level (among other things such as road noise levels, absorption of tarmac vibration, rate of wear, etc..). 

So..ideally go for 4 of the same brand, model and type. But then...considering the circumstances....you can mix if you must. Won't be the end of the world as long as it is the same size. 

• Like 1

Do you think Nankang is OK?

It's manufactured in 2023 but they didn't confirm if it's Taiwan or Chinees. Ask for 54K for each tyre.

Do you have any recommend place to check for available stocks?

MARSHAL Korean tyre is available in 235/65R17 size. It's an alternative.

image.thumb.png.066803d8141641c4a3c83c9e37de7662.png

Current tyre size is 245/65R17

image.thumb.png.b1c6708e8a368ab47aa1c1b19e175afd.png

Do you think it's OK to go with 235/65R17

Edited by C_J