• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

The New Smart Driving License

shane6399

IPB Image

BUT CAN IT DOUBLE UP AS A SIM CARD if necessary :) :)?

30 MILLION??!?!?!?!?

in a country with somany people starving and war and chaos they want to spend 30 million

on this?

u know what, if they have so much money cant they just build us some proper roads?!

strange thing is that they say the microchip will only carry personal info. i thought they would also have traffic violation history and maybe points like they do abroad....

SHH!! Man, don't give em any ideas!!

Edited by Saturn

BUT CAN IT DOUBLE UP AS A SIM CARD if necessary :) :)?

30 MILLION??!?!?!?!?

in a country with somany people starving and war and chaos they want to spend 30 million

on this?

u know what, if they have so much money cant they just build us some proper roads?!

SHH!! Man, don't give em any ideas!!

True, we have advanced driving licence,number plates before good roads.Typical

strange thing is that they say the microchip will only carry personal info. i thought they would also have traffic violation history and maybe points like they do abroad....

Well the investment looks bloody high to me-anyway in a way it could be good. - Fuzzo is right :the points scheme is not included- soooo back to square 1 – U can do any amout of accidents and STILL DRIVE wOw…….. where else in the world would u get freedom like that

Question – Is it the most essential thing right now???? Ok OK…. I know some people have to make money and buy loads of stuff and live a luxury life ( through this new contraption expenditure) eg. The new license plate project which had NO planning what so ever

Y not look at getting the people to drive properly by having more cops and allowing them to enforce the law properly. U never know it could be much cheaper

Any Ideas guys…..

The smart chip does not have point based system? yesh.. me dream come true.. wel it would be just a matter o time til they implement it though.. but i seriously think they would have the points system as this system is quite costly and if it were merely to include driver info o the card, it is a plain wastage o money as every det could be printed (via mnemonics) ..

sometimes going hi-tech aint always the answer..

Zz

the whole point of é Build-Own-Operate-Transfer or BOOT scheme is that é govt. doesnt spend on é investement - so this who we're a poor country n cant afford it rot doesnt apply!!!!! <_<

é company which gets é tender for é deal will make é system , get it running & operate for a set time period & workthings out so they can recover their cost and after é term expires they will hand over to é govt & move out

its é same system thats expected to be used with all é supposed new highways that r due to come online as well..

& people who get charged in a court of law for driving offences DO have their Licenses taken away - suspension do occure just that its not common

& those who do break é law hardly ever fess up or stay around to face é consequences!!

Wont be long until everything becomes BOOT based.. the govt got enough cash right now (as they say in the newspaper related to income taxes etc) so they could manage it right from the beginning.. then again.. if the govt is doubtful of their own capabiltiies.. lol.. private is the way.. frankly it should be the other way around.. people should opt for govt based services rather than private.. our jumbo cabinet does wonder though..

Zz

.. the govt got enough cash right now .. our jumbo cabinet does wonder though..

money for how long i know not - 150+ mmeeber delegation to chine for a whole week

more minitsters abroad - Health min. in ausi...

...all em trips ought to clear up an cash in hand! :mellow:

the whole point of é Build-Own-Operate-Transfer or BOOT scheme is that é govt. doesnt spend on é investement - so this who we're a poor country n cant afford it rot doesnt apply!!!!! <_<

é company which gets é tender for é deal will make é system , get it running & operate for a set time period & workthings out so they can recover their cost and after é term expires they will hand over to é govt & move out

its é same system thats expected to be used with all é supposed new highways that r due to come online as well..

& people who get charged in a court of law for driving offences DO have their Licenses taken away - suspension do occure just that its not common

& those who do break é law hardly ever fess up or stay around to face é consequences!!

Wow, someone has studied! Im proud!

Surely there must be huge commison going for our beloved uncles from this card system, otherwise will we do it sudenly? Just like the printed number plate story

Wow, someone has studied! Im proud!

Surely there must be huge commison going for our beloved uncles from this card system, otherwise will we do it sudenly? Just like the printed number plate story

see not all my time is spent on AL :)

ah is it ture that A.H.M. Fowzies son or someone who was é transport chief had a hand in this new numberplate thing??? it was un utter flop of sorts né - given that there was no classification of vehicles in terms of

vehicle class/category

fuel

etc until now

n if é new licences arent gonna carry drriver traffic violation n info and é like , i cant quite see é purpose of it all...might as well keep é exiisting thing né!

see not all my time is spent on AL :)

ah is it ture that A.H.M. Fowzies son or someone who was é transport chief had a hand in this new numberplate thing??? it was un utter flop of sorts né - given that there was no classification of vehicles in terms of

vehicle class/category

fuel

etc until now

n if é new licences arent gonna carry drriver traffic violation n info and é like , i cant quite see é purpose of it all...might as well keep é exiisting thing né!

bro, carefull they must be reading this right now...Public Forum!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

Thank you for the information. But this doesn't say if it is mandatory to convert your old licence. Mine a Class A licence issued way back in 1984 (Card was issued later) does not require a renewal (and carries my pretty young face as a bonus, of course). I am trying to reach DMT on the numbers given for a clarification but impossible to reach them.

Edited by Rumesh88

Shouldn't the older licenses be converted first? that sounds like common sense to me....

ah well this is sri lanka after all

Of course you sound logical but here everything goes in reverse chronological order! Anyway for me I do not need a new SMART DL for I look pretty smart (18+) in mine and I intend to keep it that way for the rest of my life. LOL!

Of course you sound logical but here everything goes in reverse chronological order! Anyway for me I do not need a new SMART DL for I look pretty smart (18+) in mine and I intend to keep it that way for the rest of my life. LOL!

Hey Rumesh, you mean now you are almost 50 and need to continue with 18+ smart photo ? ;)

I obtained mine in 1996 for C,C1,D and thinking to get new smart card as my permanent address has been already changed. (And good proof for my son at School Admission for Grade One :sport-smiley-004: )

Edited by Sampath Gunasekera

Hey Rumesh, you mean now you are almost 50 and need to continue with 18+ smart photo ? ;)

You got that one right mate!

BTW perhaps DMT may have a valid reason to keep older DLs until last. They would have that much less work to do because some part of the old licensees would be at the Golden Gate by then!

• Like 1