• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Upgrade Headlight Bulbs In E39

MSP0RT5

Hi Guys,

Is it possible to upgrade the bulbs in the E39's headlights? I'm after something slightly brighter and maybe whiter which is easier to see in the nights. PIAA make some extreme whites which might suit - are they available locally? I believe the E39 is H7 size. I was going to try darley road as well, are the parts genuine there?

Thanks!

C

Hi Guys,

Is it possible to upgrade the bulbs in the E39's headlights? I'm after something slightly brighter and maybe whiter which is easier to see in the nights. PIAA make some extreme whites which might suit - are they available locally? I believe the E39 is H7 size. I was going to try darley road as well, are the parts genuine there?

Thanks!

C

Managed to get some, will see how they are tonight. The usual Japanese 55->100w "pure white" ones. M'cade also had a HID kit.. seemed pretty cheap (compared to how much they sell them for in the US/Aus). Anyone fitted their kit?

Managed to get some, will see how they are tonight. The usual Japanese 55->100w "pure white" ones. M'cade also had a HID kit.. seemed pretty cheap (compared to how much they sell them for in the US/Aus). Anyone fitted their kit?

man i saw em too, love to have one but has anyone used one b4?

man i saw em too, love to have one but has anyone used one b4?

I'll ask around too, but last thing I want is to fit a low qual kit on the bm and end up frying something else!!

Edited by MSP0RT5

I went the simple way and just upgraded the H4 bulb in my car. I happened across "Rally" spec Phillips H4's that are are hellishly bright (on low dip, i've got oncoming cars flashing me).

While there are no standards for headlights in SL, i found that this kind of bulb is not for normal road use in Europe. But i have to say, it is highly effective, although i've not seen what a HID/Xenon set up is like. Each bulb was 1000 rs.

I went the simple way and just upgraded the H4 bulb in my car. I happened across "Rally" spec Phillips H4's that are are hellishly bright (on low dip, i've got oncoming cars flashing me).

While there are no standards for headlights in SL, i found that this kind of bulb is not for normal road use in Europe. But i have to say, it is highly effective, although i've not seen what a HID/Xenon set up is like. Each bulb was 1000 rs.- i found them at a Suzuki Parts supplier in Kohuwela-Hospital Road.

I'd be cautious in getting replacement bulbs for the E39- just make sure its a standard that is compliant with the car, and won't bugger up the electronics. These brighter units put out a significant amount of heat, so beware!

While there are no standards for headlights in SL, i found that this kind of bulb is not for normal road use in Europe. But i have to say, it is highly effective, although i've not seen what a HID/Xenon set up is like. Each bulb was 1000 rs.- i found them at a Suzuki Parts supplier in Kohuwela-Hospital Road.

I'd be cautious in getting replacement bulbs for the E39- just make sure its a standard that is compliant with the car, and won't bugger up the electronics. These brighter units put out a significant amount of heat, so beware!

Exactly what I was about to say... the Competition spec bulbs should be used only on lights with Glass Lenses as a plastic lense would discolour quickly after prolonged use. Even the reflectors melt on the newer 'Crystal' type lights if the heat of the bulb is too much to handle.

Exactly what I was about to say... the Competition spec bulbs should be used only on lights with Glass Lenses as a plastic lense would discolour quickly after prolonged use. Even the reflectors melt on the newer 'Crystal' type lights if the heat of the bulb is too much to handle.

What about the non-comp ones - such as the PolarG's 55w (standard H7 is also 12v55w) but claim the light output is equivalent to 100w (not that I believe it..). Reckon there'll be a heat issue?

I think the ones gunat is talking about are actually a higher wattage than stock yeh? I know what you mean.. at $260.00 per light assembly, I dont want to be melting anything :unsure:

Edited by MSP0RT5

While there are no standards for headlights in SL, i found that this kind of bulb is not for normal road use in Europe. But i have to say, it is highly effective, although i've not seen what a HID/Xenon set up is like. Each bulb was 1000 rs.

Hi

I’ve been looking at getting some lights myself. My lights ( Lens ) is made of plastic, hence I’ve hesitated to put 110/90w bulbs like the one on my mother car as it’s glass.

Where did you buy the Phillips bulbs and what was the damage. Further is there bulbs that are the standard 60/55w with more power/brightness ?

Would like to know some more on this as It’s really hard to see at night and some times you get people with their heads on who just don’t bother to dip them even though I flash which could be due to 2 reasons

1. They are just self centered morons and take advantage of the fact that my lights are not powerful enough to effect them

2. That they have absolutely no clue about driving or road ethics

What about the non-comp ones - such as the PolarG's 55w (standard H7 is also 12v55w) but claim the light output is equivalent to 100w (not that I believe it..). Reckon there'll be a heat issue?

I think the ones gunat is talking about are actually a higher wattage than stock yeh? I know what you mean.. at $260.00 per light assembly, I dont want to be melting anything :unsure:

Yes,

The ones of reputed brand (Polarg, Raybrig, PIAA, Phillips, Osram etc) actually do produce a brighter light with the same heat as the 55w, while their high wattage bulbs are clearly marked 'For Competition Use only'. The cheaper unbranded ones you get in Darley road end up frying your headlights and electricals. I learned the hard way - my bulb holders had actually melted.... :( Presently using PIAA bulbs which I got down from Japan.

Also the filament position and fitting of the genuine competition bulbs is slightly different to the standard ones, and may require minor modification to fit and also headlight beam re-allignment to avoid dazzling oncoming traffic.

Alternatively, D*MOs and their dealers have quite a wide range of OSRAM bulbs including the Silverstar and Cool Blue range at a very reasonable price. But all the reviews I've read on the web rate the Japanese premium bulbs very much better than the equivalent european ones.

For the E-39 you might also check with Milroy as I've seen a number of branded bulb types in his stock.

Edited by nira74

Yes,

The ones of reputed brand (Polarg, Raybrig, PIAA, Phillips, Osram etc) actually do produce a brighter light with the same heat as the 55w, while their high wattage bulbs are clearly marked 'For Competition Use only'. The cheaper unbranded ones you get in Darley road end up frying your headlights and electricals. I learned the hard way - my bulb holders had actually melted.... :( Presently using PIAA bulbs which I got down from Japan.

Also the filament position and fitting of the genuine competition bulbs is slightly different to the standard ones, and may require minor modification to fit and also headlight beam re-allignment to avoid dazzling oncoming traffic.

Alternatively, D*MOs and their dealers have quite a wide range of OSRAM bulbs including the Silverstar and Cool Blue range at a very reasonable price. But all the reviews I've read on the web rate the Japanese premium bulbs very much better than the equivalent european ones.

For the E-39 you might also check with Milroy as I've seen a number of branded bulb types in his stock.

I'm using PolarG 55watters at the moment. Had them running for about 30 minutes the other night (in the garage) and no excess heat detected (I was doing some stuff in the engine bay) I know what u mean about the darley rd lights. Milroy was my next stop, just that Hyde Park was closer than Kelaniya :) But the car's going to milroy for something else when I have some time so I'll run it past him. Kept the original bulbs just in case.

Thanks for the info man! B)

this will be a stupid question but I am asking because I do not know,

how do you identify the type of bulb used in your car ? both head lights and others,

and any place in SL where you can get PIAA lights ?

That's a good question. I of course cheated and checked a few forums :-) But i just checked the manual (e39) and its on page 153 and 154. So I'd dare say most cares manuals will have it in there too, generally up the back in the "maintenance" section.

I couldn't find a PIAA dealer either, so went with PolarG which is also a reputed Japanese brand.

Hi

I’ve been looking at getting some lights myself. My lights ( Lens ) is made of plastic, hence I’ve hesitated to put 110/90w bulbs like the one on my mother car as it’s glass.

Where did you buy the Phillips bulbs and what was the damage. Further is there bulbs that are the standard 60/55w with more power/brightness ?

Would like to know some more on this as It’s really hard to see at night and some times you get people with their heads on who just don’t bother to dip them even though I flash which could be due to 2 reasons

1. They are just self centered morons and take advantage of the fact that my lights are not powerful enough to effect them

2. That they have absolutely no clue about driving or road ethics

:violent-smiley-030: Agree :D

Where did you get the philips brand?

Hey guys

the phillips H4s were purchased at a Suzuki parts dealer in Kohuwela- i can't remember the name (this was almost 2 years ago), but he's about 2 blocks down from the junction, on the left. If i'm not mistaken, i think you have to pass a petrol shed first.

My car has glass lenses, so no issues, but in honesty i haven't check the holders since i installed the lights, so who knows what condition they are in now. Having said that, its been quite some time since i installed the bulbs, so if there was a problem, i should know by now.

As advised, stick to factory specs as you don't want to bugger up the lense covers on the E39. I'm sure PolarG is a good replacement- used those as foglights, and they were better than the stock headlights!

Edited by gunat

PIAA bulbs are super... i replaced my stock stanley bulbs with them and they are super bright...

i bought mine off bajadesigns.com :)

but they do develop more heat as opposed to a xenon...

I'm also thinking of upgrading to HID xenon's... cost is the issue as always :(

scouring ebay daily for a good deal on a branded HID kit :)

PIAA bulbs are super... i replaced my stock stanley bulbs with them and they are super bright...

i bought mine off bajadesigns.com :)

but they do develop more heat as opposed to a xenon...

I'm also thinking of upgrading to HID xenon's... cost is the issue as always :(

scouring ebay daily for a good deal on a branded HID kit :)

Recently heard of another side effect that could be caused by fitting non-standard HID Conversion Kits.

Apparently on cars fitted with Headlight Failure warning circuits, the Headlight Failure warning lights come on due to the extremely low power consumption of the HID Bulbs. Therefore an additional capacitor has to be fitted to ensure that a minimum power is drawn to avoid tripping the warning lights.... :lol:

Recently heard of another side effect that could be caused by fitting non-standard HID Conversion Kits.

Apparently on cars fitted with Headlight Failure warning circuits, the Headlight Failure warning lights come on due to the extremely low power consumption of the HID Bulbs. Therefore an additional capacitor has to be fitted to ensure that a minimum power is drawn to avoid tripping the warning lights.... :lol:

no issues for me... i got an ae100 sprinter :P

I have been looking for brighter lights for my maxima for ages and most of the effective solutions are expensive or labor intensive. I try not to drive it at night :) The really cost effective solution I have found is the 9004/9007 upgrade. I can send more info for you nissan guys if you need.

just a few pointers;

For the E39, DONT go with jimmy540i xenons ;)

just keep in mind when upgrading bulbs; u will need to upgrade the harness and maybe the relay when you almost double the wattage. or u could be smart and just put a bigger fuse :D

also look for the light output (lumens) if u can find it. I can take a 55W bulb and put a resistor in parallel and make it a 110W bulb, but it doesnt mean it gives out twice the amount of light. All that means is that it draws twice as much current and the remaining 55W are spent as heat.

and PLEASE DONT use HIDs in non-projector housings(w/shrouds). The light simply glares oncoming traffic and serves very little purpose.

Edited by dhp

no issues for me... i got an ae100 sprinter :P

Did you use a HID Solution for the H4 Bulbs (with Both High and Low beams) ? And how much did it cost ?

Actually my 1987 Sprinter Cielo (AE91) had the bulb failure warning lights, but I think toyota dropped the feature on the subsequent models....

DHP...

thanks for that...din't know you need strictly "projector lights" for HID conversions... I've seen a couple of SUV's in SL with normal housings and HID lights...those things are bloody darn too bright :blink:

Nira,

Nope... I'm an offroad biker :D Got my sissy little h4 halo headlight that put out 35w replaced with a 55w H3 from PIAA... bulbs are intended for "offroad" use only :P

The sprinter is my first car so don't even know what bulb it holds yet :P But i assume it's an H4 by the looks of it from the outside...

I haven't checked HID kits in SL yet...have to do so before settling for an ebay import. But my friends tell me it's about 8-12k but made in china :ninja:

I've seen merc and beemer used HID units appearing on ebay on an off.... gotta keep on checking :)

and yes they do have both high and low beams but that cost a bit higher

DHP...

thanks for that...din't know you need strictly "projector lights" for HID conversions... I've seen a couple of SUV's in SL with normal housings and HID lights...those things are bloody darn too bright :blink:

Nira,

Nope... I'm an offroad biker :D Got my sissy little h4 halo headlight that put out 35w replaced with a 55w H3 from PIAA... bulbs are intended for "offroad" use only :P

The sprinter is my first car so don't even know what bulb it holds yet :P But i assume it's an H4 by the looks of it from the outside...

I haven't checked HID kits in SL yet...have to do so before settling for an ebay import. But my friends tell me it's about 8-12k but made in china :ninja:

I've seen merc and beemer used HID units appearing on ebay on an off.... gotta keep on checking :)

and yes they do have both high and low beams but that cost a bit higher

A projector has a clearly defined focal point (f) and symetry unlike ur stock housing. All those small and irregular surfaces simply scatter the light in all different directions. When a light source is properly used in the focal point of a projector, you will acheive optimal lighting below the cutoff line. IMHO using a hid in a regular housing is like getting a mercury bulb attached to your hood...lots of lumens going in all directions (good for an aappa kadey) :D

if your opting for a HID conversion and wanna source parts from ebay, I would suggest TL or E46 projectors and philips D# bulbs and the appropriate ballasts. goto hidplanet and get the part numbers then goto ebay and try to find them cheaper. maxima org has a bunch of guys who have retrofitted TL projectors. You will find some good writeups. I however hate the OEM TL aiming cos they're aimed a lil too high. Most ppl who have had acura TL hids oncoming at night will agree with me that someone needs to regulate them. Until then, I just let them feel my highs...maybe they'll go and get them aimed lower :)

Edited by dhp

dhp...thanks for the informative reply... reminded me of the optics section in my A/L physics class :)

Before i got ma sprinter i was checking this eg8 advertised in AL ... it had projector lights that were pretty crap... the low beams were so bad it's better to carry a flashlight taped on ya bonnet :P

my boss's jag has cool projectors that actually works but i'm sure those are darn to pricey :)

me need to find a good projector setup to suit my ae100 :ninja: i'm sure it's gonna be pretty tough to find :(

will checkout the sites you've mentioned :)

thanks again for tips :D:alc:

A projector has a clearly defined focal point (f) and symetry unlike ur stock housing. All those small and irregular surfaces simply scatter the light in all different directions. When a light source is properly used in the focal point of a projector, you will acheive optimal lighting below the cutoff line. IMHO using a hid in a regular housing is like getting a mercury bulb attached to your hood...lots of lumens going in all directions (good for an aappa kadey) :D

if your opting for a HID conversion and wanna source parts from ebay, I would suggest TL or E46 projectors and philips D# bulbs and the appropriate ballasts. goto hidplanet and get the part numbers then goto ebay and try to find them cheaper. maxima org has a bunch of guys who have retrofitted TL projectors. You will find some good writeups. I however hate the OEM TL aiming cos they're aimed a lil too high. Most ppl who have had acura TL hids oncoming at night will agree with me that someone needs to regulate them. Until then, I just let them feel my highs...maybe they'll go and get them aimed lower :)