• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

When you wanted to be an suv,but mama said be a van…

fiat fan

On 5/17/2024 at 3:16 PM, john cooper said:

@fiat fan My Dad has been to the court due to the full crash bar.

He used to carry a copy of the "Danda neethi sangarahaya" and the original Japanese car catalogue to show that the full crash bar is not something fitted at home.

He was in luck for many years and his luck ran out when he met the correct police officer 🤣

The officer took my Dad to the court for "ishta rupa" blah blah and filled a case against him, Dad lost the case and the judge gave the decision that it should be removed from the Van

Sadly that was the case for our Full Crash bar.

Regards,

JC

So according to a few rmv guys, modifications are ok now. And you can even get it registered.

But as usual with everything in Sri Lanka, nobody can confirm nor point me to someone who can. Confused and not interested seems to be Lankan gov service.

A fiber crash-bar seems ok according to cops. Maybe I’ll get it redone in fiber.

Meanwhile I also have pictures saved on my phone for cops to see.

Thanks for the update bro.

IMG_9556.thumb.jpeg.48addb98c269fa02ccae29087a65bd86.jpeg

Went to see the Historic Balana Fort in Kadugannawa. 

I’ve been thinking about someday restore it to its original glory. So I set about looking for a chassis number decoder. Also special thank you to @iRage who helped me identify and point out the correct information.

The first few decoders said this was a DX-DT and it did look like it -IMG_9398.thumb.jpeg.19b9505895ab18b5a499a2b683211811.jpeg

But a few others said it was a GL. Turns out it is a GL. And it came in this blue. Which I forgot and will update soon.

IMG_9426.jpeg.a5b416b35dde09c513d58d18a7b26d63.jpeg
6th van is what mine was.

IMG_9425.jpeg.9bb93aa6c96044988327ab0d14266d3b.jpeg
After much research this is what the van looked like when it was imported in 1993. Minus the wheels and suncap bits. 

Yes the lights were quad squared and later fitted with the projector lens from the facelift. I might go back to the quad lamps.

So this is what I plan to do. Restore it back to 100% what it came out of Japan.

What you guys think? I’m actually digging the color scheme!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, fiat fan said:

So this is what I plan to do. Restore it back to 100% what it came out of Japan.

I am with the quad lights too...perhaps you can find retro looking LEDs or something a bit more modern ?

As for going back to 100% stock...I am guessing you mean just the exterior? Because being a GL and a P25V means you may have to loose some nice interior trim bits too.

I wonder what that color is called. The Japanese catalog image just says "Blue Black," which I presume refers to the decal and not the body color.

EDIT:

Is that "Arctic Blue" (B80) and Sophia White (W09) ?

Edited by iRage
  • Thanks 1

On 5/19/2024 at 10:05 PM, Ruslan said:

I'm with the Classic Quad lights. like the Color scheme as well.

Thanks bro. Vote taken on the quad lights.

I actually saw the color scheme on a donar van when visiting the local parts guy. Looked very nice.

On 5/20/2024 at 5:14 AM, iRage said:

I am with the quad lights too...perhaps you can find retro looking LEDs or something a bit more modern ?

As for going back to 100% stock...I am guessing you mean just the exterior? Because being a GL and a P25V means you may have to loose some nice interior trim bits too.

I wonder what that color is called. The Japanese catalog image just says "Blue Black," which I presume refers to the decal and not the body color.

EDIT:

Is that "Arctic Blue" (B80) and Sophia White (W09) ?

Vote taken!

It is indeed Arctic/Coral Blue and Sophia white. Looked good in person just like the pictures, which I was glad to see TBH.

My bad… when I meant 100% back to original, I was having the exterior in mind.
The interior was converted into a super exceed somewhere down the line and I wouldn’t want to miss it. Even the seats are from a super exceed which are rare and expensive.

I was thinking about restoring it to this-

IMG_9616.thumb.png.647552b83f52d9ae3e07b17db7b8af34.png

IMG_9887.thumb.jpeg.346aa955ee2b87469ce4ec81e821adc3.jpeg

found this in the salvage yard. It’s a nice color and I’ve made my mind up!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Ok so quite a lot of things have been done to the Delica. 

It also got a name- “Jasper” 

Jasper is a mid spec model that never made it here AFAIK. Found that out reading through the merch and thought it was a fun name. Inspired by Casper no doubt!

The list of things that got done-

• Number plates
  • Plate holder
  • Android 7” player
  • Led bulbs
  • Removed tacky stickers
  • Installed some badges
  • Stickers- delica
  • Stickers- ralliart
  • Tint-front doors
  • Reflectors on rear bumper
  • Extra Reverse light(couldn’t see jack)
  • Fixed lighter socket(even the light inside works now.
  • Wiper blade for rear.
  • Jasper sticker.
  • Speakers-subwoofer.
  • Door trim 3pcs (rare af)
  • 3M coil Carpet for rear.

• Mmc
  • Flat roof Spoiler (ultra rare)
  • Bodykit (PITA to find good ones)
  • Door light knobs.
  • Original design Rear Wiper arm(p25 specific which were missing)
  • Pedal covers.
  • Fuse box cover.
  • 2 Fuses
  • Silencer tip off a newer jdm.

• 2 rubber bushes
  • Rear door light plastic.
  • Rear tail light
  • 2 signal cup lights
  • Mmc badge(another one)
  • Mitsu badge
  • Grab handle for rear door
  • Turbo timer
  • Coolbox (yay!)
  • OG Catalogs
  • Gear lever assembly and cables etc.
  • Door pins were redone and doors adjusted.

And of course the rims… the OG was chosen, currently being buffed out.

quite a bit more actually. Will update later.

Everything done is with genuine parts and according to the catalogs and OG specs that these came with. Even the body stickers are off the accessory catalog.

now to the pics-

IMG_0588.thumb.jpeg.b510b899fed6a38a88aafbfd5a26ce44.jpeg

CFE8A8C9-B4BE-4499-A097-2F80C86A7E6C.thumb.jpeg.2e3a7332e8f19b53f25bcfc6ace7450b.jpeg

IMG_0527.thumb.jpeg.122e1eef3f66074b54691ee4581fc641.jpeg

planned to go with the 215/75 tires that the CR mentions, too skinny? Its on 255/70 now. 

78331923-3A26-42F8-BC5B-986B7F6C4CD1.thumb.jpeg.0b5dd2be205c8c32b783bacfc7146a3e.jpeg

I would suggest that you get a AT type tyre 225 / 235 after all its just a matter of the width. As suggested you could look at the Maxxis Bravo 751 which is a 215 size. I think other you get at that size would be more like HT tires, unless you go for a different brand with an aggressive pattern at a larger size.

1 hour ago, Gummybr said:

I would suggest that you get a AT type tyre 225 / 235 after all its just a matter of the width. As suggested you could look at the Maxxis Bravo 751 which is a 215 size. I think other you get at that size would be more like HT tires, unless you go for a different brand with an aggressive pattern at a larger size.

Yes AT set would do better (it will definitely cost you more) specially if your planning to go slight off roading in bad roads.. HT Tires wouldn't stand a chance and tend to break the Steel radial.

• 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Update time-

I have made a decision that any mod/addition be done exactly like the catalogue and nothing else!

Keeping that in mind, I have scavenged the internet and the local parts sources. Luckily the guy with the best parts and prices plus rare goodies lives real close to my jungle. 

Also the Kandy/Gampola & Mawanella/Kegalle areas are well stocked on Delica bits and van parts in general. Also most Delica’s seem to run in above areas.

Since this is a P25V, it means it was meant for commercial purposes. So it must have been pretty basic.

But like @iRage pointed out somewhere down the line somebody did a full star wagon conversion inside out. Also it was facelifted from the quad lights to the “torch lights” alongside. Yes,torch light is the word used for projector lights in SL by the regular jonnys.

That was indeed a good thing because prices now are crazy.

Also I made a mistake on reading the vin-tag, it was not coral blue and sophia white like I had previously thought, it is actually this color-

IMG_1147.thumb.jpeg.0aca0dfdca03404e42663fba0edcd512.jpeg

Here’s the parts bought-

IMG_1258.thumb.jpeg.ce79e35ffd76937a462fece2847d6afb.jpeg
How the parts sit for now.

IMG_1255.thumb.jpeg.f7961625ce64db026d48eaa492b6438c.jpeg

The all important GL Mirrors. Driver side is chrome. Managed to snag the passenger side with power controls which is super rare!

59b3e025-4809-4cad-abe6-3b0690237517.thumb.jpeg.488e5eebe17dd59f7efa7a26d12ff8d9.jpeg
The optional fogs offered by Mitsubishi when new. Still looking for these. Any leads guys?

IMG_0996.thumb.png.d3b0765b6d6b178a65f7ed2ebc3250aa.png
Now this is what I really want. Super super rare vintage discontinued PIAA 950 fogs which were also a Mitsubishi optional. Will have to go  the Yahoo Japan route

IMG_0963.thumb.jpeg.d4c252bb65a3bf05730164f4757095d3.jpegChose these rims which were,you guessed it… an optional extra.

IMG_1246.thumb.jpeg.e7a8d72231106094082039d09ee0cfbd.jpeg

Replaced the clock but still didn’t work.

IMG_1244.thumb.jpeg.d5947aa9ad011fb3ac99906b79dfd46f.jpeg

Front hood light.

IMG_0972.thumb.jpeg.09a261c1058ddce5d06939c198f9b7f8.jpeg

Got an luminous key ring off AliEx.

Few more bits to be uploaded,but forum wont let me.

IMG_1232.thumb.jpeg.65def8aaaa7b3d328265d01f686d5656.jpeg

Got the Delica garnish lights working. Just had to replace the old bulbs with leds. Fun fact the illumination is done by a fiber optics lines. Very cool!

IMG_1247.thumb.jpeg.6d1b635f0695ba5a220c1f627c14481c.jpeg

Also got the signal/park light assembly replaced with genuine parts.

IMG_1245.thumb.jpeg.0cede6a7d597c3b39c3cd065761de72d.jpegBuffer-End Garnish.

IMG_1130.thumb.jpeg.94973537f0955fbd7238dada45946511.jpeg

Replaced the 7” android set with a 9” set. Much better quality, but fitment aint the best.

IMG_0789.thumb.jpeg.140a050d800c117420651ca1aa67b37d.jpeg

That rare elusive flat-roof spoiler. Freshly painted. Seen only about 4 van in Lanka with this and 5 abroad in videos.

IMG_0786.thumb.jpeg.c8d562a14ed1531467f3f808774bb756.jpeg

Polished the painted the indents. Completed picture was posted above.

Edited by fiat fan
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, iRage said:

❤️ Starting to look nicer 

Thanks. It’s always the details that matter right?

Also could you be kind enough to point me to a brochure for these? Scavenged the web,but not much info! Thanks

Posted (edited)

Did some work DIY style on a lazy Sunday…

First tried on the “GL” mirrors. Yet to tighten them as I’m missing a clip for the top retainer. Visibility through it is much better.

IMG_1295.thumb.jpeg.d8f3d29e60dd667036eb198a2775e008.jpeg

Also the chrome does not work on this Van. First glance makes you think it’s got no mirror at all. Shall be redone in black. The classic choice tbh!

IMG_1294.thumb.jpeg.7d1b935a2ac565b390850c31fab74370.jpeg

See what I mean ⬆️

And then set to work on the crash bar.
Some guy had relocated the “4wd” garnish to make space and bolt in the fogs. Maybe they did not know that the fogs were hanged by zip ties(industrial grade I believe) from factory.

Also got rid of the cheapo fogs. The front looks very different now, do you agree? ⬇️

IMG_1301.thumb.jpeg.2540e4105aecfc90a7b83e8201a35f7e.jpeg

*** most often cant add pictures due to site error code 200***

Edited by fiat fan
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. What a difference the new tires and rims made! Everything from the visuals to the driving experience. All changed-For the good.

IMG_1753.thumb.jpeg.d43c119b7697cbf3380c293812a67884.jpeg
OG size 215/75 R15 AT tires fitted to the optional wheels out the catalog. Pizza cutters ftw!

Made a night and day difference. Gone are the “gammata padhinawa” vibes. Much elegant now.

Decided to go for the Nankang’s after much decision. Best value for money, warranty and performance according to many P25/Pajero owners.

Alignment and balancing was also done. Lower arm bushes need changing. Like I said, the ride is much much better. Had a loose jiggly feeling. All gone…

Some more de-ricing to be done soon. Will keep posted.
Work is slow because garages don't seem to honor appointments. They tell you a time and you still stand around for hours. And then they break a bunch of stuff to fix something. Aiyo these fellas

Anyway-

IMG_1728.thumb.jpeg.3679af44fdd1c4eafe68176ce3549d9d.jpeg
IMG_1752.thumb.jpeg.fb7c4a6bed321d066120bc95fd53009f.jpeg
 Here’s some more angles. Sorry for the trash. Garage construction underway.

• Like 1

That does look nice.

What a lot of people don't seem to realize is that the engineers who designed and design these cars knew and know what they were/are doing. So when the owners change the size of the wheels or do some weird **** it does change how the car acts and behaves by quite a lot.

• Like 1

@fiat fan Sorry mate, late to the show.

Hats off to your decision to go original and please don't go with a plastic crash bar.

You will get there for sure since you have the focus!

Mine was a P25V with originally two square light models and it was a DX in coffee brown colour. I have seen the original Van photos and I believe they are still at the Pinnawala Elephant Orphanage office walls.

AFAIK there is only “one” real genuine P25W Starwagon on the island registered under 57 -5*25, which has been imported under an MP permit around mid 90’s

Should have bought it when it was offered for 1mil back in 2001

The rest the P number Van are Harbour auctions so I don't know how genuine they are.

Little more about our ex delica:

The van actreally has had a history of serving as an Elephant Medical equipment transport vehicle in early life (whoever made that decision, I am sure that person is a real off-road guy, I can't vote any betterVan)

During one of the Elephant rescues the van was captured by one of the opposition parties has war with the SL Army and Van was rescued during the peace period and put on sale. 😅😅

Feels like buying the van back. 😂😂😂

• Like 1

On 7/26/2024 at 10:09 AM, iRage said:

That does look nice.

What a lot of people don't seem to realize is that the engineers who designed and design these cars knew and know what they were/are doing. So when the owners change the size of the wheels or do some weird **** it does change how the car acts and behaves by quite a lot.

Thanks. Compliments have been all positive actually. Even from the ricey types.

Very true. Testing would have shown this was the best during R&D for sure. Local guys just want the looks and nothing else!

On 7/27/2024 at 3:08 AM, john cooper said:

@fiat fan Sorry mate, late to the show.

Hats off to your decision to go original and please don't go with a plastic crash bar.

You will get there for sure since you have the focus!

Mine was a P25V with originally two square light models and it was a DX in coffee brown colour. I have seen the original Van photos and I believe they are still at the Pinnawala Elephant Orphanage office walls.

AFAIK there is only “one” real genuine P25W Starwagon on the island registered under 57 -5*25, which has been imported under an MP permit around mid 90’s

Should have bought it when it was offered for 1mil back in 2001

The rest the P number Van are Harbour auctions so I don't know how genuine they are.

Little more about our ex delica:

The van actreally has had a history of serving as an Elephant Medical equipment transport vehicle in early life (whoever made that decision, I am sure that person is a real off-road guy, I can't vote any betterVan)

During one of the Elephant rescues the van was captured by one of the opposition parties has war with the SL Army and Van was rescued during the peace period and put on sale. 😅😅

Feels like buying the van back. 😂😂😂

Thanks mchn. Not a fan of the rice cake mods the usual van guys do.
This gen of Delica had so many factory options and accessories from mmc itself. I’m spending a lot of time and money researching and purchasing them. Love the tid bits japs have. The items fixed so far really elevated the looks and made it feel elegant in a weird way.

I’m actually thinking of going bare if cops go crazy. So far it’s been pretty sane.

Wow 1 mil is a dream now. The cheapest is 4mil now for a clunker and the minters with some nice accessories go for well over 8mil. Most sold are around 5mil. 

yours was the same as mine when it landed in SL I’m guessing 😊

Actually there are about 5-6 W versions here from my knowledge. Whether they are here legally is anyones guess. There is one GJ-1*54 that I’m sure is legal.

Also I remember you mentioning the W variants came with rear suspension and not leaf springs, can you confirm that? Every search and video/picture I’v seen so far had leaves and a shock. No coils. Even on the fully loaded W super exceeds. Both locally and abroad.

You should totally buy it back if the opportunity presents. With such a lovely history. It’s worth it 💯 

Mine was with a dude in matara for 19 years and he sold it during covid, went through a new paint and changed hand twice. Pretty tame tbh.

On 7/27/2024 at 7:49 AM, Ruslan said:

Adeh, those wheels looks lovely. i believe that was the intended Suspension geometry hence the steadiness.

Thanks bro. I love them! 
True that. Manufacturers knew best.

• Like 1

So bought a few more items. Closing in on the missing trim and accessories not fitted to my van.

The ladder and roof-rack will be leaving the scene shortly.

The rear AC controller was missing along with the storage bins for the rear upholstery. They have been replaced again. Made a whole lot nicer.

Also bought a velvet carpet for the side door sill. Very cozy feeling.

IMG_2171.thumb.jpeg.7005956cb6bb107f359360076739e802.jpeg

Got those missing door-card trims (see door edge)IMG_2146.thumb.jpeg.2d786a34eb8486c6bc3a9583f5207680.jpeg

Rear AC unit in.

IMG_2131.thumb.jpeg.6818abada871678884e38dfcedd5eaab.jpeg

few more bits. Door railing in chrome.

IMG_2024.thumb.jpeg.13a97598d2ed8336315ea36088dfe734.jpeg

Climbed the Sandagiri Seya stupa up in Hanthana. The road from the entrance to the top was super narrow, Twisty and nerve racking. And it was almost a 90 degree incline. But the Deli did not break a sweat. No videos sadly. 

And then did a hanthana-galaha-delthota-peradeniya-kadugannawa run in an absolute beauty of a scenic route. 

making memories is the way to go!

• Like 4

12 hours ago, fiat fan said:

Also I remember you mentioning the W variants came with rear suspension and not leaf springs

I believe this was for the SPACE GEAR and not the Star Wagons. It had mostly to do with how much of the mechanisms were borrowed from the Pajero vs the L200. I am 90% certain that all JDM variants of the Star Wagon came with leaf springs while the SPACE GEAR Ws came with coil springs and Vs with leaf springs.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, iRage said:

I believe this was for the SPACE GEAR and not the Star Wagons. It had mostly to do with how much of the mechanisms were borrowed from the Pajero vs the L200. I am 90% certain that all JDM variants of the Star Wagon came with leaf springs while the SPACE GEAR Ws came with coil springs and Vs with leaf springs.

I had a feeling. Also a guy on FB posted that his van had worse handling after coils put it. Almost toppling over every-time he drove apparently. 

So finally the ladder and roof rack came off!

looks much cleaner. But too clean at the back with no ladder tbh. Will try to get a flat roof ladder that was oem.

IMG_2210.thumb.jpeg.8e04fe84c440d81de6410cc2ad7ab712.jpeg

IMG_2209.thumb.jpeg.79d72d57f94722293df45716fb68b138.jpeg

FB groups are really a landscape of wealth and knowledge. The local fb groups have saved me much time and money. Items I would have imported were found for dead cheap in it. Very cool. Specially for JDM vehicles.

Another gem I found off a FB post from 2022. The guy still had it. Almost gave it away…

496bd7d3-15a4-42c0-aff0-bb8065386770.jpeg.3b27ca5f957428d936bf22789862130b.jpeg

IMG_2213.thumb.jpeg.1ea9f4ddec91affe3df366261e8e037c.jpeg

came in silver and black. Mines black.

the factory specced AM/FM Cassette receiver by National. Very cool. Managed to get one locally. It’s the little things I tell you!

16 hours ago, fiat fan said:

Thanks. Compliments have been all positive actually. Even from the ricey types.

Very true. Testing would have shown this was the best during R&D for sure. Local guys just want the looks and nothing else!

Thanks mchn. Not a fan of the rice cake mods the usual van guys do.
This gen of Delica had so many factory options and accessories from mmc itself. I’m spending a lot of time and money researching and purchasing them. Love the tid bits japs have. The items fixed so far really elevated the looks and made it feel elegant in a weird way.

I’m actually thinking of going bare if cops go crazy. So far it’s been pretty sane.

Wow 1 mil is a dream now. The cheapest is 4mil now for a clunker and the minters with some nice accessories go for well over 8mil. Most sold are around 5mil. 

yours was the same as mine when it landed in SL I’m guessing 😊

Actually there are about 5-6 W versions here from my knowledge. Whether they are here legally is anyones guess. There is one GJ-1*54 that I’m sure is legal.

Also I remember you mentioning the W variants came with rear suspension and not leaf springs, can you confirm that? Every search and video/picture I’v seen so far had leaves and a shock. No coils. Even on the fully loaded W super exceeds. Both locally and abroad.

You should totally buy it back if the opportunity presents. With such a lovely history. It’s worth it 💯 

Mine was with a dude in matara for 19 years and he sold it during covid, went through a new paint and changed hand twice. Pretty tame tbh.

Thanks bro. I love them! 
True that. Manufacturers knew best.

Regarding the W series and the coils, let me confirm.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Update time!

1.Did some work on the leaf springs. Made creaking noises. Reshaped the springs, greased shackles, and put rubber guards between the springs for sound deadening.

2.The rear passenger door had to be slammed super hard to be closed. Fixed that and adjusted the door. Much better now.

3. The android setup kept getting loose. Fixed it for good.

4. Door trims got some love aka glue.

5. Door stoppers were replaced.

6. Spoiler was not installed because I was kinda not feeling the drilling to attach. Maybe in the future.

7. The belts were checked and deemed good. Tightened the alternator belt because of an occasional squeal.

8. Undercoated the footwell and the engine bay upper bits. Much better sound insulation now along with lesser heat from the engine coming through.

Work to be done soon-

Lower and upper arm bushes need replacing.
Also the rear shocks are worn.

Need opinions on this please-

IMG_2230.thumb.png.d73f341e0ae3b7aee18e3924dcf35efb.png

This is the ladder that came as an option on the flat roof vans.

Below is the ladder that was meant for the high roof which was on mine. Popular mod it seems. Lankans actually prefer this over the oem.
fb1565ce-7eaa-4f35-94fa-c6fc46d9a154.thumb.jpeg.f364c83ff90ebf3b0bbcfc6bd5135e5f.jpeg
The one thats on right now/\

Which one you guys prefer?

IMG_2669.thumb.jpeg.c899b8defe6e29bcd98e792eb7ae0488.jpeg
Got the railing replaced with a chrome part. Turns out the one I had was chrome underneath the blue paint. Oh well! 

IMG_2357.thumb.jpeg.c0e89394183712a577abfe701cf6bff0.jpeg
looking clean now!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fiat fan said:

Which one you guys prefer?

The high roof ladder is the nicer one due to its beefiness. But since you are going with a complete manufacturer-spec look, it might seem a bit off place. But then, I wouldn't be surprised if dealers installed the high roof ladder on the low roof.

Having said that...the installation of the ladder is totally wrong on your vehicle. The ladder should be more towards the middle where both top mounts are at the same level. Right now, the left side mount on top in lying on the slightly raised part of the roof line with the right-side mount on the lowered part of the roof shape. Both mounts should be at the same roof level point. It might be because they used the wrong type of mount (i.e., they didn't have the low roof ladder mounts), so they had to improvise. The result seems to be:

a. top mounting brackets just seem twisted and stuck on by a high schooler.

b. the ladder seems to be twisted at the bottom and seems to be too close to the over-rider on the rear bumper (probably why the side has been hit in).

c. when the ladder is too much on to the side it increases the blind spot around the D-pillar. This happens because there is no see-through gap between the outter edge of the ladder and the metal surround of the rear glass.

Also...if the ladder is not properly mounted this may impact the mounting and clearance for the rear spoiler.

So...yeah...I might have kept the high-roof ladder but totally reinstalled it.

On 8/1/2024 at 9:50 PM, john cooper said:

Regarding the W series and the coils, let me confirm.

Confirming the P25, 35 or 45 none of them came with coil sprung rear suspension.

The Star Wagon that I was referred to as original was a conversion.

I do apologize for the mistake!

Regards,

JC