• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Havolin Engine Oil Vs Lanka Super Plus

Hungry_Minder

Question

Hi,

I am new to this forum.I have a Mitsubishi lancer GLX CB2A car.I bought it last month.

Yesterday one of my uncle has been serviced my car and change the engine oil.

Previous owner used havolin.But now uncle used Lanka super plus

One of my friend told me that why did u change the oil.it would be affected to your car.Is it really true.

After service i have run about 7,8 Kms.Now I am so confused about this.

What should I do.Should I change the oil to havolin immediately.

Please reply me

21 answers to this question

Well, our cars have always been using the good old Lanka oil for as long as i remember and havent had any issues.... So i guess it really depends on personal views..

Anyway, i dont think there should be any problems caused because of the 'transition from Caltex to Lanka'... i'd say just use it... but if you want to go caltex nothing should stop you, even though you'll be throwiing away a good batch of engine oil thats hardly used. If you notice a loss of power or any negative effects, maybe you can go back to caltex in your next scheduled oil-change..

BTW, isnt Lanka owned by Caltex? (maybe i remember wrong)

Hi,

First off thanks guys your replies.So I thought to use super plus even 1000 km and then move to previous oil or as you said better oil than havolin.

So i just wanted to ensure that is there any side effect to my car.According to your replies there is no such a side effect (If wrong correct me)

So what do you think.

Thanks

IMHO..

i doubt you'll have any issue when you switch from caltex to lanka or even the other way around. If i'm not wrong...the normal Havoline is just a mineral oil like lanka... i would assume that havoline is better filtered etc so it's superior to Lanka...

I'm not sure of this but going by the info on the two labels and the quality standards they have...Havoline appears to be superior...

It's not like migrating from full synthetic to mineral etc cos in that case the engine requirements might demand for a higher grade oil...

Nilantha

I was involved with caltex lubricants about 4-5 years ago and have read a lot of their documentation, R&D papers, white papers etc and they have always "claimed" they have minimized sludge build up... I'm not saying they are 100% true to their statements but i'm also not buying into the argument of Caltex was solely the reason for your sludge issue... What makes you sure that the present oil is not causing sludge in your motor? I'm just purely curious how you can say that caltex is the only culprit for your sludge issue...

BTW i don't use caltex...Mobil and Castrol :) Purely because of their better racing background :)

Hi,

I am new to this forum.I have a Mitsubishi lancer GLX CB2A car.I bought it last month.

Yesterday one of my uncle has been serviced my car and change the engine oil.

Previous owner used havolin.But now uncle used Lanka super plus

One of my friend told me that why did u change the oil.it would be affected to your car.Is it really true.

After service i have run about 7,8 Kms.Now I am so confused about this.

What should I do.Should I change the oil to havolin immediately.

Please reply me

Caltex is probably a slightly better oil than Lanka Super, but Lanka super is unlikely to cause any problems to your car as long as you change oil regularly.

My family has always run Lanka Super and never had any issues (Though in my present car I run Mobil Super XHP as my car is not run very regularly which gives rise to its own set of problems !!)

If you want you can switch back to Caltex or any other mineral oil like Super XHP at the next oil change without any issues.

Edited by The Don

As far as i know The VVTI engines of toyota is having problems using Havoline. this i got to know from one of my friend who works at Toyota La***. he said that they'll receive couple of vehicles due to Sludge buildup using that Engine Oil.

Edited by Ruslan

Does anyone here use Shell or Valvoline... if so, pls comment...

I've used to 40 grade fully synth Helix oil.. very good while its new. tends to burn more than other oils and needs to be topped up and changed frequently unlike Mobil1.

But I must say the car sings when its new.. my engine noise reduced and the drive was smoothed out a lot as well

I've used to 40 grade fully synth Helix oil.. very good while its new. tends to burn more than other oils and needs to be topped up and changed frequently unlike Mobil1.

But I must say the car sings when its new.. my engine noise reduced and the drive was smoothed out a lot as well

Whoops, ha ha! Was so amused over the Valvoline I forgot that I'm using Shell Helix too. :) Only oil I've used in this car, so can't really compare. Madmax said "Use Helix" and I obey the rules of Madmax when it concerns cars :D

Whoops, ha ha! Was so amused over the Valvoline I forgot that I'm using Shell Helix too. :) Only oil I've used in this car, so can't really compare. Madmax said "Use Helix" and I obey the rules of Madmax when it concerns cars :D

have heard a lot about Shell but their synthetics are impossible to find...

Been using CASTROL for the last 11 years both in my car and my mothers …

I now use Castrol Magnatech – can get about 8K as per the agent s but I change it in 5

Cost has now increased :( very smooth and keeps the color/velocity for quite a while :)

Been using CASTROL for the last 11 years both in my car and my mothers …

I now use Castrol Magnatech – can get about 8K as per the agent s but I change it in 5

Cost has now increased :( very smooth and keeps the color/velocity for quite a while :)

Color and Viscosity i assume... :)

it does suck when the color of the oil changes very rapidly but seems like all oils do that and nothing seem to be much superior to another