• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Are Sri Lankan Car Buyers Too Conservative?

jehan80

Hey guys,

I thought of asking the above question cause i'm considering buying my first car for around 2m. And i see some pre 2000 BMW's and even some Audi A4's out there for that price range, that look really nice. But dare i mention it to anyone, everybody immediately pounces, looks at me like i'm insane and says, nooooo buy a Toyota, buy a honda or buy a nissan!

It seems the majority of SL car buyers, and looking at the posts here, the members of autolanka as well seem hung up on these select jap brands.

What gives???

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys,

I thought of asking the above question cause i'm considering buying my first car for around 2m. And i see some pre 2000 BMW's and even some Audi A4's out there for that price range, that look really nice. But dare i mention it to anyone, everybody immediately pounces, looks at me like i'm insane and says, nooooo buy a Toyota, buy a honda or buy a nissan!

It seems the majority of SL car buyers, and looking at the posts here, the members of autolanka as well seem hung up on these select jap brands.

What gives???

In my simple mind what I feel is >

The blooming country and the morons running the joke house

Roads are in the state that U can have a 4x4 event ( In Colombo)

Replacing cost are over the roof for parts

Fuel is almost in the range of jet fuel

Roads are full of #%@* 3 wheel & bus driver as well as other moteriss who have no clue to what driving is- Would hate to own a BMW and see it been bashed by a 3 wheeler

Hence simple but freely available jap cars would be the choice,…

I would love to won a Audi but cost of maintaining it is beyond my wallet….

In my simple mind what I feel is >

The blooming country and the morons running the joke house

Roads are in the state that U can have a 4x4 event ( In Colombo)

Replacing cost are over the roof for parts

Fuel is almost in the range of jet fuel

Roads are full of #%@* 3 wheel & bus driver as well as other moteriss who have no clue to what driving is- Would hate to own a BMW and see it been bashed by a 3 wheeler

Hence simple but freely available jap cars would be the choice,…

I would love to won a Audi but cost of maintaining it is beyond my wallet….

DITTO!

agreed with everything mazdaspeed says here. the additional issue is the non availability of spare parts for some of these brands and most agents are rubbish which means you wouldnt want to take the risk of owning a car that's can't be maintained.

also most people don't look at image as a factor when it comes to car brands. they don't care that they may look "cooler" driving a b4 as opposed to an allion. or that owning a 156 or punto is a way of expressing themselves and distuinguishing them from the N16/121 crowd. who cares about driving pleasure when the roads are so sh*t! a car is used to get from A to B, so you might as well be conservative!

Hey guys,

What gives???

dude, if you have money AND if you have the need of going for a BMW, Benz, or a Audi, why dont you just go for it..

experience it your self! and then let us know too..

Hey guys,

What gives???

Actuallly, you'll find people to back the BM or Audi idea here. I think I just suggested it myself in another thread. But most people have an idea of what they want and they ask advise along those lines so thats what given. Barring a couple of guys whos worlds start and end with Honda and Toyota.

Excellent post. IMHO I think Sri Lankans whether they be car buyers or anything else are ultra conservative and averse to risk. I feel they are not willing to venture out of the ordinary and they get comfortable in their little worlds too fast. And then they don't want to move anywhere esle.

From my limited knowledge of Behavioural studies, I think in any society the majority will be like that. There will only be a very few who will be trend setters. Why do you think Toyota is such a big company? Because it build ultra conservative and uninspiring cars.

And I believe that as we are a poor third world country, more ppl are likely to stick with the usual and not get adventurous simply because they can't afford or think they can't afford to take a risk. Sometimes they could think this way because they lack knowledge.

Ppl here are also highly worried about other ppls' opinion about them. And so are shy to take a risky decision and be laughed at if it were wrong.

Ppl here are very scared of change. Politicians seem to know this and usually use this fear to win elections! So I really hope that we grow up soon :rolleyes: !!!

also most people don't look at image as a factor when it comes to car brands. they don't care that they may look "cooler" driving a b4 as opposed to an allion. or that owning a 156 or punto is a way of expressing themselves and distuinguishing them from the N16/121 crowd.

I totally disagree with this comment. Don’t you think the definition of the word 'cool' vary from person to person? You may look cooler inside a B4 but a 40 year old may look as if he's in a middle of a midlife crisis.

IMO SL people do try their best to express themselves with car they own. Who’s been buying every single model D*MO bring down, little green men from mars?????? Popularity of 'dinky' SUV is another great example.

If depreciation and high maintenance cost is not an issue i'm sure everyone will love to own a European brand. At the end of the day this is a developing nation and it does make sense for majority of the people to pursue the value for money proposition.

Edited by xXx

Actuallly, you'll find people to back the BM or Audi idea here. I think I just suggested it myself in another thread. But most people have an idea of what they want and they ask advise along those lines so thats what given. Barring a couple of guys whos worlds start and end with Honda and Toyota.

and Nissan! :angry-smiley-048:

I totally disagree with this comment. Don’t you think the definition of the word 'cool' vary from person to person? You may look cooler inside a B4 but a 40 year old may look as if he's in a middle of a midlife crisis.

IMO SL people do try their best to express themselves with car they own. Who’s been buying every single model D*MO bring down, little green men from mars?????? Popularity of 'dinky' SUV is another great example.

If depreciation and high maintenance cost is not an issue i'm sure everyone will love to own a European brand. At the end of the day this is a developing nation and it does make sense for majority of the people to pursue the value for money proposition.

Exactly.. well said!

and Nissan! :angry-smiley-048:

Actually, you'll find thats not the case. The only time someone has said "Buy a Nissan" recently was when SViper said that about the N16. Otherwise, its very rarely that the recommendations to "What can I buy" questions come up as a Nissan.

Agree with XXX - it's not a matter of venturing out - If you'r loaded with cash and u still stick to a toyota - yes then U are plain stupid. However I know lots of motorists would love to own a BMW, Volvo, Audi.

I personally would like to have a Subaru- pre 2002 model but just cant cough up the cash. Cause of the absurd duty and other issues we have

Given the opportunity ( Like the buffoons in the parliament & their spoilt brats) by all means we would be looking at European cars as servicing and parts would not be and issue as the good old public pays tax to get them fixed.

Excellent post. IMHO I think Sri Lankans whether they be car buyers or anything else are ultra conservative and averse to risk. I feel they are not willing to venture out of the ordinary and they get comfortable in their little worlds too fast. And then they don't want to move anywhere esle.

GTAm can you please elaborate more on this comment if not too much of a hassle please list couple of examples

Why do you think Toyota is such a big company? Because it build ultra conservative and uninspiring cars.

don't you think this is why toyota is bulletproof when it comes to reliablity. they stick to what they know and do best. as we discussed in an ealier thread toyota or may i say jap car manufactures master the technology before implementing it oppsoe to their european counterparts. i think this is their unique selling point and it has worked for them in the past and will owrk for many years to come just like some manufacturers are renowned for their performance and styling.

Ppl here are also highly worried about other ppls' opinion about them. And so are shy to take a risky decision and be laughed at if it were wrong.

I’m ashamed to say I’m one of them. But I think this is a common human behavior none of us like to be ridiculed in public

If you'r loaded with cash and u still stick to a toyota - yes then U are plain stupid

I’m afraid I have to disagree with this comment as well. I know quite a few wealthy individuals sticking to average cars because either they are not that passionate about cars or they don’t see the point in buying a vehicle when you can buy a house for that money

Mind you buying a brand new vehicle is the one of the worst investments one can make. Of course like many things in the land of ‘chinthanaya’ this rule too works the opposite way.

Guys.. the finacial stability is one key factor that'll define the life style of an individual or even a nation...

...and since we know that as a nation no such thing exists here, the common man is compelled to take the safe route and use the Toyotas or Nissans...

the regulars in AL would remember I asked about the car they love to own, a few days back..... and if you think of the very reasons why they don't actually drive around in them in SL, you'll get the answer....

A used BMW is fine... if you have money to waste :(

I’m afraid I have to disagree with this comment as well. I know quite a few wealthy individuals sticking to average cars because either they are not that passionate about cars or they don’t see the point in buying a vehicle when you can buy a house for that money

Agreed with xXx..... if money is not an issue, it's upto the individual todecide what they like.... how can anybody tell U which car you SHOULD enjoy going around? if U love driving around in an old beetle over a flashy new car of any brand, that's Ur business.... <_<

I'm afraid I have to disagree with this comment as well. I know quite a few wealthy individuals sticking to average cars because either they are not that passionate about cars or they don't see the point in buying a vehicle when you can buy a house for that money

Mind you buying a brand new vehicle is the one of the worst investments one can make. Of course like many things in the land of 'chinthanaya' this rule too works the opposite way.

yes I take it back -

ahhhhh I was trying to say a car freek like myself - Toyota is a dam good car I ageree 100%

My bad

I suppose it comes down to needs again. I keep my car coz I don't need to use it too often, and even when I do go to work, I get to use some fun roads. Tho it it is a nightmare on some of the rougher parts I also have to use. But if you do the route my sis does, up to Fort and back, driving on Duplication every day, you can hardly blame people for going for the cheaper to use option and not bothering with the driving feel. You need transport, there is no chance for the driver to enjoy, the roads ensure the car wears down fast, so why bother?

Besides, its all well and good to complain about taxes. My main tax complaint is there is no benefit from paying it. But you have to consider, the current infrastructure cant even support the cars we have, as evidenced by everyday traffic jams. (As opposed to the political person going kind). If they DO drop the taxes and lots more people start bringing in cars, the gridlock would be unimaginable. I'm no expert, but if they did do something to the infrastructure with the car taxes they get these days, then maybe someday they can afford to reduce the taxes and bring in more vehicles. As it is, we just seem to be in a cycle of roads getting worse and taxes increaseing without that getting better.

If work allowed it, I'd move somewhere with decent roads. Like Tissamaharama. Odd how those good roads are all out of the city.

Tissa?? Then you'd some back here complaining about the speeding tickets ;) j/k

But seriously- IMHOcars are like investments in SL.. you got to be sure that you can recover at least close to the amount you spent on it (after spending on repairs through out the time you owned it-which is a lot) you just cant be 100% sure about doing so with the 'limited/specialty' models available- the market/people who'd spend money on these is just too limited. -which is typical for a less developed nation like ours. Also there are not many people who can afford to spend on weekendish type cars as second cars for the weekend lol :)

what i meant was that a majority of sri lankans look for practicality rather than trying to create an impression with the car they own. i did read somewhere that in the UK for instance, BMW' s brand image has taken a bit of a beating cos BMW owners are perceived to be reckless and boorish drivers. Which is apparantly one of the reasons that audi has done so well there recently. its got nothing to do with bimmers being bad cars! but you'd be hard presssed to find sri lankans who are worried about owning an N16 just because they are used as cabs in colombo hotels. which is why i said they are not interested in expressing themselves with the car they own and go the conservative route.

i bet if you gave most people 3.5 million bucks and said, choose between a say an unregistered IST and a brand new grande punto, they'd go for the IST. i would think punto is value for money because its brand new, comes with lots of features, has a full warranty and looks great etc. IST is used and older, who knows what the real milleage is, everyone has one, options are limited, driving experience isn't great etc.

as for D*mos selling all their models, well it just so happens that they are perceived as being the best agents here and mercedes in particular has always had tremendous brand equity sl. thus if you have a bit of cash, a merc would be possibly be top of mind on your luxury car list. also politicians (and we have way too many of them) give d*mos enough of business.

leave aside wanting an european brand. hell most are reluctant touch japanese brands apart from toyota and basic nissans.

Edited by leonardo

If work allowed it, I'd move somewhere with decent roads. Like Tissamaharama. Odd how those good roads are all out of the city.

Super thought. The south is phenomenally beautiful, rather uncongested and is being developed at the rate of knots. The fact that the roads in the area are world-class is a bonus.

Tissa?? Then you'd some back here complaining about the speeding tickets ;) j/k

I'd probably be doing summin to deserve it in my car, but I was just puttering in a Corolla! :D Besides, that was Lunugamvehera and a bad road.

On the Mercs. D*MO is giving the old model C at 10 mill. Since the competition at that price point is the Audi (which is over 11), the 300C, Cefiro, Camry and Mitsu 380 there shouldn't be too much of a problem selling them in SL, eh?

Edited by Pericles