• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Starlet Gt Engine Miss After Washing!

priya

Hi Guys,

I just washed my engine since it had a lot of dirt on it. Just with plain water a simple spray was at home. After engine was car is missing but after heating up and kept it running at idle for about 10min miss was gone..Again in the afternoon I started car and again missing...and soon after came to normal temp after rides fine..What can be wrong. Anything to clean? Since I did not cover anything when washing..like turbo...etc. :rolleyes:

cheers Priya

Hi Guys,

I just washed my engine since it had a lot of dirt on it. Just with plain water a simple spray was at home. After engine was car is missing but after heating up and kept it running at idle for about 10min miss was gone..Again in the afternoon I started car and again missing...and soon after came to normal temp after rides fine..What can be wrong. Anything to clean? Since I did not cover anything when washing..like turbo...etc. :rolleyes:

cheers Priya

i dont think its anything wrong with the turbo ,one of your plug's may be misfiring. maybe when you sprayed it water might have leaked into the plug cylinders from the tappet cover. the best thing what i think is to clean the plugs, then it'llbe ok, the fact that it becomes normal when the engine heats up it creates the right temperature for the plug to fire.

it's not that much of an issue. my starlet too had the same problem, then i changed the plugs(that was because they were done for not cause of the idiots at the service station who directly high pressured the engine.).

it is not wise to spray the engine with water directly onto the tappet cover, luckily water had not leaked into the electrical system (the distributor),

if the cleaning of the plugs don't work then you'd have readjust the position of the distributor accordingly.

next time the best thing to get the engine cleaned is to get it de-greased whn servicing the vehicle.

cheers

niroshan

i dont think its anything wrong with the turbo ,one of your plug's may be misfiring. maybe when you sprayed it water might have leaked into the plug cylinders from the tappet cover. the best thing what i think is to clean the plugs, then it'llbe ok, the fact that it becomes normal when the engine heats up it creates the right temperature for the plug to fire.

it's not that much of an issue. my starlet too had the same problem, then i changed the plugs(that was because they were done for not cause of the idiots at the service station who directly high pressured the engine.).

it is not wise to spray the engine with water directly onto the tappet cover, luckily water had not leaked into the electrical system (the distributor),

if the cleaning of the plugs don't work then you'd have readjust the position of the distributor accordingly.

next time the best thing to get the engine cleaned is to get it de-greased whn servicing the vehicle.

cheers

niroshan

Thanks you Nirosh..I thought the same too. But wanted a good opinion just before doing it. :rolleyes:

Seriously I wash my car engine atlest 3 tymes per week using High presure, i wash every part other than the Air Flow sencer,

Thanks to water all 4 plugs Busted! Ordered an Inridium set now for 29pounds. The standard NGK is 27pounds. :rolleyes:

Seriously I wash my car engine atlest 3 tymes per week using High presure, i wash every part other than the Air Flow sencer,

3 times a week?

Man what are you using the engine for ? eating off it LOL :)

hey seriously its never a good idea to wash these modern engines with High pressure hoses, as even if they are waterproofed, the high pressure will force water inside......

Take it easy - the engine is meant to get dirty, as long as the dust and dirt are on the outside everythings fine. A normal cloth & some soapy dishwash liquid gets most grime off. Labourious but effective.

I think thats where the term " Elbow Grease" comes from Lol.

Again my humble opinion only,

3 times a week?

Man what are you using the engine for ? eating off it LOL :)

hey seriously its never a good idea to wash these modern engines with High pressure hoses, as even if they are waterproofed, the high pressure will force water inside......

Take it easy - the engine is meant to get dirty, as long as the dust and dirt are on the outside everythings fine. A normal cloth & some soapy dishwash liquid gets most grime off. Labourious but effective.

I think thats where the term " Elbow Grease" comes from Lol.

Again my humble opinion only,

Hi Guys,

cheers Priya

This is just for information for everybody.

One of my friend had the same problem after washing his Starlet Reflet engine. His engine also missing with with pop sound from the silencer. When he went to a mechanic just nearby he removed the timing belt cover and did something inside. friend has very little knowledge on automobile and the mechanic explained him there was a loosen wheel at the timing belt mechanism and it has repaired.

However the problem remains and he went to Mr.La* Alaw*****a. He advised him to replace the timing belt. Since the vehicle has done 87000km, i also advised him its worth to replace the belt just because I also beleive Mr.La* must be correct. When the timing belt replacing I also went there to see the capabilities of Mr.La*'s place. I was there until they completely replace the timing belt and after replacing the problem still remains. I went to Mr.La* who is usually in the office and tell him the situation. He just told me "No need to hurry. I will do the needful". Then I advised my friend to not to take the car out without correcting the problem and returned to my office.

After checking here and there technicians decided to do EFI tuning to correct the problem. Finally they did EFI tuning and were able to solve the missing matter. And the final bill was Rs.22000/-.

This is just for information for all. This was happen yesterday.

This is just for information for everybody.

One of my friend had the same problem after washing his Starlet Reflet engine. His engine also missing with with pop sound from the silencer. When he went to a mechanic just nearby he removed the timing belt cover and did something inside. friend has very little knowledge on automobile and the mechanic explained him there was a loosen wheel at the timing belt mechanism and it has repaired.

However the problem remains and he went to Mr.La* Alaw*****a. He advised him to replace the timing belt. Since the vehicle has done 87000km, i also advised him its worth to replace the belt just because I also beleive Mr.La* must be correct. When the timing belt replacing I also went there to see the capabilities of Mr.La*'s place. I was there until they completely replace the timing belt and after replacing the problem still remains. I went to Mr.La* who is usually in the office and tell him the situation. He just told me "No need to hurry. I will do the needful". Then I advised my friend to not to take the car out without correcting the problem and returned to my office.

After checking here and there technicians decided to do EFI tuning to correct the problem. Finally they did EFI tuning and were able to solve the missing matter. And the final bill was Rs.22000/-.

This is just for information for all. This was happen yesterday.

this lal fella must be all f*rt no $h*t type of dude... i think sharkster also had a bad experience with this fellow throwing lotsa attitude at him...

now for the timing thing...i'm assuming the initial mechanic fella advanced the timing a bit so that the miss won't be felt that much...

Guys,

We have a lot of coplicated and expensive solutions offered here! How about the simple, after washing down the engine bay if it really is needed remove plug wires wipe clean and spray wd40 or a similar damp repelling spray on them and the plug tops. Treat the ignition coil to the same spray and wipe off any excess. If your car has a distributor ("delco") keep the cap covered during cleaning and afterwards remove the cap and carefully wipe the inside with a dry cloth, then spray with wd40 or similar and wipe off the excess, re fit and spray any exposed wiring connectors with the same spray to expel any damp. This should get rid of the damp and the car will run as before as long as you did not fill the air intake with water during the cleaning. If you did before you crank the engine major dismantling of the intake system will be needed to prevent serious damage to the engine. So keep all intakes covered during washing.

Maithri.

music to my ears :)

Hi guys,

I was gonna give my Nissan in this weekend to the mentioned person.

I have given my other cars to him and been ok, so far....... <_<

Attitude I agree but hey what are we to do? We cant get a good place anywhere to dio up our cars....? :unsure:

Any suggestions would be very welcome....

Hi guys,

Attitude I agree but hey what are we to do? We cant get a good place anywhere to dio up our cars....? :unsure:

Thats true..The guys who atleat know something contains the so called attitude..and the guys without it dont know their stuff at all. Well comparing to other contries the experts are very seldom found here in Sri Lanka not that there are'nt any but they are not broadcasted so that everybody could get hold of them. Other thing is the cost! Agents might have the equipment but they rip you. Some expert individuals have skills but do not have the equipment!

A good tuner would be a mixture of cost effective with expertise and equipment.

Edited by priya

Hi guys,

Where are you based dude?