• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Automatic Gearbox Problem

Jaliya48

Question

Hi Everyone,

I have a problem, & I'm not sure what it is... My car is a Toyota Corolla CE106 Wagon ('97) which is diesel & has an automatic transmission. The problem is that it does not exceed 80 km/h on level road & 18km/h on inclined roads.(Kadugannawa-15km/h with 4 passengers) This is OK on normal colombo roads, but it's a huge problem when driving to Kandy & similar areas where there are alot of inclines. What do you think the problem is? Is it something to do with the automatic gearbox? How can it be corrected?

Your expertise will be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou.

Edited by Jaliya48

17 answers to this question

Hi Everyone,

I have a problem, & I'm not sure what it is... My car is a Toyota Corolla CE106 Wagon ('97) which is diesel & has an automatic transmission. The problem is that it does not exceed 80 km/h on level road & 18km/h on inclined roads.(Kadugannawa-15km/h with 4 passengers) This is OK on normal colombo roads, but it's a huge problem when driving to Kandy & similar areas where there are alot of inclines. What do you think the problem is? Is it something to do with the automatic gearbox? How can it be corrected?

Thankyou.

what is the mileage like?

is your vehicle burning engine oil or emmitting a lot of smoke?

When was the last time you did a total change of your Automatic Transmission Fluid ?

Hi Everyone,

Thankyou.

Didn’t you change automatic gear box oil recently?

Since the car goes at 18 km/h speed at kadugannawa hill mean that can't be a gear box problem. You better check the RPM at 18 km speed and the RPM at the flat land 80 km/H speed.

If the RPM tally with the speed definitly problem is at the engine.

Engine could be under compression or diesl injectors might have chalked.

Since the car goes at 18 km/h speed at kadugannawa hill mean that can't be a gear box problem. You better check the RPM at 18 km speed and the RPM at the flat land 80 km/H speed.

If the RPM tally with the speed definitly problem is at the engine.

Engine could be under compression or diesl injectors might have chalked.

Hi again,

Thanks for everyone's prompt response. Current milage is 200k+. The engine was overhauled at 185k & the ATF was replaced in early '06. 23k miles have been done after the ATF was changed. The car does emit a bit of black smoke. It's serviced regularly & filters are also changed at the correct time. There is no tachometer so I can't compare revs on level roads & inclines.

Thanks

Hi again,

Thanks for everyone's prompt response. Current milage is 200k+. The engine was overhauled at 185k & the ATF was replaced in early '06. 23k miles have been done after the ATF was changed. The car does emit a bit of black smoke. It's serviced regularly & filters are also changed at the correct time. There is no tachometer so I can't compare revs on level roads & inclines.

Thanks

Change the ATF fluide and see if it makes a difference. Thats always the starting point. I think you should change your fluid at more regular intervals !. I've never owned an AT car so I do not know the intervals but in Sri Lanka its probably less than 23K Km.

Hey again,

I changed the ATF, turns out the Brand was crap! Nyway, thanks to everyone who shared their knowledge with me.

Later

wow, i knew that there were slight advantages of some ATFs over others, but I didnt know that there were ATFs that were that significantly BAD as opposed to others...

Ifs the Mods permitt maybe Jaliya can warn us about this particular brand....

& the other thing was the ATF was wayyy too old, apparently you are supposed to change it every 15k km- Mine was 23k!!

Was it the Owner's Manual or a local agent/mechanic that stated that you need to change it every 15k... The recommended interval for ours (in the Owner's Manual) is 60k, though we generally have been changing at around 50-55k... Of course the agent/mechanic would rather have you change it every 1k (thus giving them more business) but there has to be a unbiases recommendation for SL's conditions... must google AL (i'm sure this was discussed before)...

Was it the Owner's Manual or a local agent/mechanic that stated that you need to change it every 15k... The recommended interval for ours (in the Owner's Manual) is 60k, though we generally have been changing at around 50-55k... Of course the agent/mechanic would rather have you change it every 1k (thus giving them more business) but there has to be a unbiases recommendation for SL's conditions... must google AL (i'm sure this was discussed before)...

I trust 30-40K is a fair interval for an ATF change in SL machan.

& the other thing was the ATF was wayyy too old, apparently you are supposed to change it every 15k km- Mine was 23k!!

its only engine oil that you need to change frequently machan!

ATF oils lasts well over 50,000 kms!!

you've been 'had' i'm afraid :mellow: