• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Overheating My Van

john cooper

Question

Friends,

i got a overheating problem on my Delica P25 it got a normal 4D56 Turbo engine. 2months ago only i bought this van and last month i had a trip to N'eliya, while towerds to N'eliya the engine was overheated. most of the time i am getting this prob @ upcountry and the person who sold the van said he repaired the engine and that sure for me.last week i remove the radiator and clean it, then i replace the radiator fan too. i put the radiator coolent also, and i went Rathnapura @ week end but i got the same problem at their. another thing is water pump also replaced.

i did only 1 modification, fixing an extra condensor at front but before fixing that i have got the same problem.

i was little bit confused a b this matter.

is tappet clearance cause this kind of prob??????

if turbo has gone then wht gone happen???????

but i can hear the turbo working sound.

some 1 pls help me to findout the problem......

thank you

JC.

Edited by john cooper

17 answers to this question

It seems you have replaced most of the vital parts in the cooling system. But what about the Thermostat Valve? Have you checked it and replaced it as well? If you have not replaced it yet, before going for an advanced step you would better checking it. Thermostat Valve failures also cause such overheat problems. Thats my idea. Anyway good luck!!!!!!!!!!!

Friends,

i got a overheating problem on my Delica P25 it got a normal 4D56 Turbo engine. 2months ago only i bought this van and last month i had a trip to N'eliya, while towerds to N'eliya the engine was overheated. most of the time i am getting this prob @ upcountry and the person who sold the van said he repaired the engine and that sure for me.last week i remove the radiator and clean it, then i replace the radiator fan too. i put the radiator coolent also, and i went Rathnapura @ week end but i got the same problem at their. another thing is water pump also replaced.

i did only 1 modification, fixing an extra condensor at front but before fixing that i have got the same problem.

i was little bit confused a b this matter.

is tappet clearance cause this kind of prob??????

if turbo has gone then wht gone happen???????

but i can hear the turbo working sound.

some 1 pls help me to findout the problem......

thank you

JC.

assuming you have the correct pressure rated radiator cap and with the radiator cleaning you've done etc we can assume that the problem lies with the engine...

sorry but i know very little about diesels but like you said...if your tappets are not working properly, worn, mis-timed etc you'll have the engine generating extra heat so to speak and this too can be a reason for your problem...

Is the vehicle smoking? how's the motor running, you feel like there's an engine mis or loss of power?

Also like car maniac said...can be the thermostat valve too... If i'm not wrong this thing's supposed to open up once the coolant temp reaches a certain point... If it doesn't open, circulation wont happen and motor will heat up...

And another thing can be that the water channels inside the motor are blocked. But if a full overhaul has been done chances are that this is not the case...

anyway... there's only two ways you can have the motor heating up...

1. motor generating excess heat due to some form of mechanical problem and cooling system can't cope with it

2. cooling system is not functioning properly and can't keep the motor in it's correct operating temperatures...

at least if you can completely eliminate no.2... you can sorta narrow down your problem

good luck

thanks ripper

i have remove the thermo valve and lock the fan too. forget to tell a b that

and it's generating extra heat, YES that is da prob machan, stuck on that,

is any 1 know the correct valve clearance of the Mitsubishi 4D56 turbo engine???????

other thing ripper,

engine is running perfectly. no any miss or smoke just normal as other diesel engines

gud start at morning also and gud fuel consumption (10km with A/C in city)

but????????????????????????????

thanks ripper

i have remove the thermo valve and lock the fan too. forget to tell a b that

and it's generating extra heat, YES that is da prob machan, stuck on that,

is any 1 know the correct valve clearance of the Mitsubishi 4D56 turbo engine???????

other thing ripper,

engine is running perfectly. no any miss or smoke just normal as other diesel engines

gud start at morning also and gud fuel consumption (10km with A/C in city)

but????????????????????????????

Check for any obstruction to ambient air reaching the radiator. I first though that condenser you fixed might be the problem but since you said you had the problem from before that is probably not the case.

I wonder what your driving style is ? As in do you rev the engine up a lot when driving as you do in a petrol vehicle ?

The engine is unlikely to be producing extra heat, what is more likely is it is not being as efficiently cooled as the manufacturer intended. It might be something went wrong during the engine rebuilt process and one of the cooling tubes is blocked or partially blocked !

If everything else is ok, the things you can try is fitting an auxiliary fan or fitting a bigger radiator !

Since the overhauling is done don't know whether the internal circulating tubes are chalked (some time with the the gas cut).

As car maniac said possibility is there to malfunctoning of the thermo stat valve.

If evrything related to cooling system is perfect, Possibly the reason may be over generating of the engine heat.

Some time back I had the same problem with my EK3 while climbing the kadugannawa hill and I got my radiater cleaned (some of tubes were blocked)from panchikawatta and it was perfect after that.

Since the overhauling is done don't know whether the internal circulating tubes are chalked (some time with the the gas cut).

As car maniac said possibility is there to malfunctoning of the thermo stat valve.

If evrything related to cooling system is perfect, Possibly the reason may be over generating of the engine heat.

Some time back I had the same problem with my EK3 while climbing the kadugannawa hill and I got my radiater cleaned (some of tubes were blocked)from panchikawatta and it was perfect after that.

Hmm any possibility that this could be a blown head gasket? I guess you should see oil in the radiator if so.

no oil on the Radiator machan

or their is no any compression line leake too

so i was wondering a b that :mellow:

Is the radiator right in the front of the van ? or is air fed on to it through a system of tubes ?

Is there any mechanism to let air flow in to the engine bay at all as the vehicle travels ?

it's in correct way machan

in this model system is not filling with the air.

I see, when the engine overhaul was done, was the engine bored to a bigger size or is it the same ? Is it possible the engine is running higher compression than before ?

I mean I honestly cannot think why an engine will produce more heat if it has not been modified in some form or the other ..........

Hi,

Just a different line of thought, is your engine really over heating or is your temp guage reading wrong? As you seem to have done all the other obvious checks and replacements I suggest you check the real temperature of your water(coolant) I have a hand held IR temp sensor for this I am sure there are other ways to check it.

Just a thought

Maithri.

no problem in da Indicator cos overheating mean, it boiling the water :(

one of our vans had the same prob (Townace CR 26 with 1C Engine) it started overheating after the engine re-built. Then found out it was due to partially tightened engine head nuts. Therefore some compression leaked out through the gasket in to the water channels and over pressures the water circulating circuits and throws out water from the radiator lid which only holds up to a particular pressure. had to replace the gasket.

This sounds like a gasket leak for me. Try this, remove the radiator cap (only when the engine is cold) and see whether water level is sufficient and you can see the water floating level. Then start the engine and check whether any bubbles are coming up. Small amount of bubbles coming up in the beginning is alright. but if it happens continuously, then it should be a faulty gasket.

everything is over now

u want believe wht was happen on yesterday

i showed the van to the sale person who sold me the van, and i told him ma prob, he repaired the engine with his micanic and sold it to me.

yesterday he had a test run and we went to his micanic @ that time it was overheated :angry-smiley-005:

the micanic check the van and rev's up to 6k "dooom" sound, 4th piston come out :wacko:

then he switch off the engine. connecting rod has taken from da side of the engine block :lol:

no 1 can belive this

but it's true

person who sold me, he is going to fix it maybe he ll put a new engine

but that is not my thing

from da engine repair i had done only 4000km

that was happen to my van end of da day

upload some snap of blown engine soon

still finding the reason

Edited by john cooper

Sorry to hear your engine letting you down and eventually having some one kill it.

the over heating problem in your case could have been caused by a number of reasons.

The engine could have been running on wrong timing after the overhaul leading to over heating when stressed, ( our highly skilled grease monkeys use their own settings as to the manufacturer's)

Most engines overhauled in SL have some form of over heating at least till the first 10,000 km after the rebuild because of extra low clearances in honing the cylinder bores and not using new pistons when over hauling. The bespoke engine oil our grease monkeys use also have a tendency to cause long term damage as well as over heating due to it not meeting the specifications of modern car manufacturers ,especially of a turbo engine.

The engine should have not been revved up to 6000 at any cost.

When you get the van back,

The extra condenser fitted for the dual a/c system along with the existing a/c condensor should be removed and fitted a dual a/c condenser from a hiace or caravan which does not get in the way of air flow to the radiator, +

Next, replace the alternator with a higher capacity unit capable of running a dual a/c , as the original unit will give the engine extra load trying to keep up with increased demand.