• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Please Help Me To Choose My Car

vitz

Guys,

I am searching a car for my small family. My daily route will be peradeniya to kandy. Though I loved to buy a carina, I had to change my idea bit. Now two choices remaining,

1. Unregistered swift (year 2004) (HS15): manual, F/O, ABS: price is 2.0 milion

2. Registered (used 1 yr in srilanka) vios: 2.35 milion

I am bit struggeling to take a decion. Experts.... if i consider the comfort, resale value (probaly i may have to sell it if gvt decide to grant permit, i know it will not happen soon!!!!), and more importantly the fuel consumption.

one more thing,,,, are there any issues with manual swift!!!. I am asking this beacuse the this unregistered manual one is 2-3 lacks cheaper than the automatic one.

many thanks in advance

vitz

Yo Vitz, you'd better consider your own preference in terms of your existing/old car, if you have been using it for a long time. I remember I had a bit of a hard time getting used to the Sunny EX after been using a Presia for about 3 years. Its just you miss the features...

Won't be a problem if you are going for a fully-loaded car.

Just a thought... :rolleyes:

And usually a manual car is about 1 to 1.5 lakhs less than an auto one. Automatic transmission comes as an option :huh: the price difference could be due to the high demand for automatic transmission cars :unsure:

Better get some opinion from someone who actually use the same model

Edited by isam

The Swift is a good car - but i dunno how it is when it comes to coping with the usual steep inclines one finds up in the hill country..

Devinda, during my school days I used to load up to 14 people in my family's old 1987 1300cc Mazda Familia station wagon and still do reasonable speeds and go up hills without too many issues (thanks to the wonderful 4 speed gear boxes on these cars). Like the military we had a policy of leaving no one behind. I'm sure the Swift will cope fine :)

Edited by The Don

Devinda, during my school days I used to load up to 14 people in my family's old 1987 1300cc Mazda Familia station wagon and still do reasonable speeds and go up hills without too many issues (thanks to the wonderful 4 speed gear boxes on these cars). Like the military we had a policy of leaving no one behind. I'm sure the Swift will cope fine :)

14 People??? :action-smiley-060: :action-smiley-060: You could have got into the Guinness book :lol:

Damn, we managed 10 in a California once, but 14 is ridiculous!

Driver + 2 in the front seat + 6 in the back + 5 in the boot ! Basically the whole cast of a play we were doing !. Let me tell you keeping the car going on the straight line was a struggle due to narrow tyres and the car fish tailing in response to a sudden change of direction, and breaking had to be pre planned as they just did not cope with the weight, but as far as pulling went it did wonderfully well (was still keeping up with most of the traffic).

Its not difficult to understand why Ford Lazers and the Mazda 323s and Familias are so popular with racers :) People have offered to buy my 4 speed gear box he he :) It is the most useful thing we've ever owned and has transported everything from cement bags, platforms, props for college plays, bicycles, our old 28inch TV among other things. I would recommend a station wagon to anybody with a family ! You just don't need to hire vehicles (like hand tractors) for little things !

So 1300CC on a small car with 4 people in it should be a doddle. The only thing Vitz has to consider is if he has 2 kids its best to opt for a sedan over a small hatch back, which gives them a little more space to run riot, and there is a little more boot space to carry their stuff. The new Swift has got rave reviews every where !

Driver + 2 in the front seat + 6 in the back + 5 in the boot ! Basically the whole cast of a play we were doing !. Let me tell you keeping the car going on the straight line was a struggle due to narrow tyres and the car fish tailing in response to a sudden change of direction, and breaking had to be pre planned as they just did not cope with the weight, but as far as pulling went it did wonderfully well (was still keeping up with most of the traffic).

Its not difficult to understand why Ford Lazers and the Mazda 323s and Familias are so popular with racers :) People have offered to buy my 4 speed gear box he he :) It is the most useful thing we've ever owned and has transported everything from cement bags, platforms, props for college plays, bicycles, our old 28inch TV among other things. I would recommend a station wagon to anybody with a family ! You just don't need to hire vehicles (like hand tractors) for little things !

So 1300CC on a small car with 4 people in it should be a doddle. The only thing Vitz has to consider is if he has 2 kids its best to opt for a sedan over a small hatch back, which gives them a little more space to run riot, and there is a little more boot space to carry their stuff. The new Swift has got rave reviews every where !

H ah aha ha.. I once pulled 8 old aunties in a 323 Interplay! after a daane... I insisted that I will come back again after the first trip to drop them , bUt NO, they insisted on piling in... 2 in the front + me and 6 in the back!!!!

You are right, the 323 Engines seems to love pulling weight!

H ah aha ha.. I once pulled 8 old aunties in a 323 Interplay! after a daane... I insisted that I will come back again after the first trip to drop them , bUt NO, they insisted on piling in... 2 in the front + me and 6 in the back!!!!

You are right, the 323 Engines seems to love pulling weight!

Its the gear box VVTI which helps it make the best use of the little power it has. Its just a matter of power but how it is applied.

I simply used the example to hi help vitz prioritise what he requires from his new small family car. It is not a simple matter of Hatchback vs Sedan or 1300cc vs 1500cc or whatever. Each car need to be judged on their own merits and compared and contrasted with his primary requirements.

The Swift and the Vios are both good cars. Both have their issues (vios's have a well publicised engine sludge issue when not maintained in accordance to our climate. Be very mindful of this issue when buying this car and get it inspected thoroughly by an expert before committing to a purchase). The vios obviously has more boot space and a little more rear leg space. The swift is more economical fuel wise and both should be in the same region when it comes to depreciation (after the initial depreciation) and resale value. One thing to bear in mind is that the Swift will technically depreciate more than the Vios in this scenario because it is still to be registered and as soon as it is registered it will take a hit (initial depreciation). The vios has already gone through its initial depreciation phase and the previous owner has absorbed the costs of it.

Edited by The Don

Many thanks all who replied to my post. Don, I had no idea about this sludge formation, so I will get it checked by a technician.

By the way, due to my wife's influence,,,,, i may have to drop the Swift from my wish list :unsure: .....

Damn, we managed 10 in a California once, but 14 is ridiculous!

You guys are amazing. I've been thinking the one run to the beach we had in my uncles Triumph Herald was amazing with 3 adults and 7 kids including myself. This was in the early 80's. Mind you the Herald is a two door so getting in and out required some awkward body twisting :D

Yes tharidu, technical issues can probably be solved quickly. But, it would be much much difficult to hear complaints daily.

So

well same happens when you try to buy a 2 door car.even though i'm not married we both are in the same boat i guess :P

Haha yes, the famous "abamobile"! :lol: those certainly were the days!

I owned a Swift (HT51S) for two years. It did not give me any trouble whatsoever. Just did the basic maintenance's on time.

It was an automatic and gave me 10km/ltr in Colombo and 14-15km/ltr outstation (on 185/60/R14 tires). I don't drive that hard.

We loved the height advantage. But with that, the ride comfort was a bit harsh compared to a sedan. It could be due to my tires too.

I have gone up steep hills and had no issues with the transmission and power.

Wonder why your wife would dislike the Swift cos she would love to drive it (mine did) as it gives a better view of the road and easy to park !!

All the best with your choice !

I owned a Swift (HT51S) for two years. It did not give me any trouble whatsoever. Just did the basic maintenance's on time.

It was an automatic and gave me 10km/ltr in Colombo and 14-15km/ltr outstation (on 185/60/R14 tires). I don't drive that hard.

We loved the height advantage. But with that, the ride comfort was a bit harsh compared to a sedan. It could be due to my tires too.

Wonder why your wife would dislike the Swift cos she would love to drive it (mine did) as it gives a better view of the road and easy to park !!

i'm not a fan of small cars or hatch backs by any means , but if i were given the choice to buy a unreg hatch for a realstic budget , the Swift would be very high up on that list - it check just about every tick box , from a decent driving expereince to solid agents...

it safe to say that we're all rather stumped as to why your wife wouldn't like the Swift... :huh:

...come to think of it, i'm yet to find a person who has out n out professed to hating the car yet! :blink:

uh um, the Swift is a 4 door ne!

unless of course your eyeing a Swift Sport , but then again there aren't that many of those here.. :huh:

Yeah thats true. But most of the ladies prefer if its big ( i mean the car ) :P.swift is very good interms of petrol consumption.

Mas,,,, Many thanks for sharing the infor. I heard mixed views about the fuel consumption of Swift. Some users in our department even are very satisfied about the fuel consumption and others not. Probably, as many pointed out, it may be due to the different driving styles.

You know, the main reasons for her rejection seems the safety of the rear seat passengers and the look as well, those are personnal feelings ne. This came up when I took her to a car sale.

vitz

Mas,,,, Many thanks for sharing the infor. I heard mixed views about the fuel consumption of Swift. Some users in our department even are very satisfied about the fuel consumption and others not. Probably, as many pointed out, it may be due to the different driving styles.

You know, the main reasons for her rejection seems the safety of the rear seat passengers and the look as well, those are personnal feelings ne. This came up when I took her to a car sale.

vitz

Well on mine, I had 2 rear headrests and 3 rear seat belts (2 shoulder belts at the sides & 1 waist belt at the centre). The leg space for rear passengers were surprisingly large. I would say better than some sedans. I don't think this model came with side air bags. So the rear safety is pretty much what you would get for any vehicle within this price range (I think).