• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Family Hack

pradfred

hiya all,

I have a challenge for all the distinguished members of Al.

It goes like this . We need to buy a vehicle to be used as the Family Hack .

Budget : 2 Million.

No Vans. No Maruti brands. Has to be a vehicle with 4 doors.

Year : has to be not older than 1999.

Kms: We do over 75 - 85 Kms a day so it should do decent mileage.(not phenomenal)

Vehicles we looked at so far

Toyota Touring wagon (used), Viva Brand new, Honda civic, etc

So get those motors running and give me some options before we take da plunge .

cheers

how about a diesel double cab?...an L200(or strada two meter model) or a SSR-X....very rugged and very manly!....although i doubt if you'll be able to find one north of 1994 M.F.D. for that budget...but they are still very reliable creatures,and i'm speaking from personal experience

Edited by HelRazor

how about a diesel double cab?...an L200(or strada two meter model) or a SSR-X....very rugged and very manly!....although i doubt if you'll be able to find one north of 1994 M.F.D. for that budget...but they are still very reliable creatures,and i'm speaking from personal experience

no chance of even a remotely new hilux machan :(

the '88 LN 65's are the only ones that asking prices south of 2 million - TWO whole decades old mind you , and none of them are likely to have lived a cushy life :blink:

hiya all,

I have a challenge for all the distinguished members of Al.

It goes like this . We need to buy a vehicle to be used as the Family Hack .

Budget : 2 Million.

No Vans. No Maruti brands. Has to be a vehicle with 4 doors.

Year : has to be not older than 1999.

Kms: We do over 75 - 85 Kms a day so it should do decent mileage.(not phenomenal)

Vehicles we looked at so far

Toyota Touring wagon (used), Viva Brand new, Honda civic, etc

So get those motors running and give me some options before we take da plunge .

cheers

How about the Mazda familia sportback/wagon. looks good too.

Yeah man that was my choice too.

Finally manged to convince the wifey ( after 8 years of trying mind you ) and then realsied that could not find one for that budget or anything close if its after 1999...... buggered in style. Wife is tickled pink :(

As Devinda says the cabs are appreciating faster than land prices he he.....

Oh well, looks like I will have to go with a "rational" decision this time around.........

Mazda ...is a good bet ...Thanks guys...that will mean I can still be in the MFOC after selling the MX 3 too....

the '88 LN 65's are the only ones that asking prices south of 2 million - TWO whole decades old mind you , and none of them are likely to have lived a cushy life :blink:

Very true Davinda_Z - was looking arround but the priceses Vs. the YOM is way out :(

Bollocks, there is a large difference between ASKING prices, and what people are actually going to pay y'know..... An LN106 is worth about 1.6-1.7 million at present, and a 107 (Full spec) will fetch about 2 - 2.2 Million.

Its the later ones that cost ridiculous amounts of money.

@ Prad, Have you considered a Carina? not exactly the most interesting car on the face of the planet, But solid, dependable, and will take many many years of abuse...

was just made aware that you had recently gotten rid of a Carina, so obviously that's not a choice....

There were a couple of decent Foresters on the market, The old model of course... Think there's one within your budget on the AL classifieds, Im not entirely convinced an Oldish forester is the best vehicle for the "family hack" requirement, but it's an idea nonetheless.

an ES Generation Honda Civic is also a very decent machine, Devinda will disagree vehemently, but IMO it's worth at least a look.

err not really....1993 -94 L200's go for about 1.9 mil and the toyotas go for about the same amount

Bollocks, there is a large difference between ASKING prices, and what people are actually going to pay y'know..... An LN106 is worth about 1.6-1.7 million at present, and a 107 (Full spec) will fetch about 2 - 2.2 Million.

exactly....there is a huge diifferance between the asking price and the prices they actually sell for....specially under the current circumstances

for example the the pajero intercooler never sell for the insane amount their owners quote(one guy tried to sell me his for 6mil,but eventually he sold it for 3.8 mil to another guy).....it's all about the hype,but the reality is very differant...

Edited by HelRazor

was just made aware that you had recently gotten rid of a Carina, so obviously that's not a choice....

There were a couple of decent Foresters on the market, The old model of course... Think there's one within your budget on the AL classifieds, Im not entirely convinced an Oldish forester is the best vehicle for the "family hack" requirement, but it's an idea nonetheless.

Just went for Test drive in it. Awesome machine. 2000cc intercooled turbo.

:rolleyes:

Mmmmm wife likes it too, and very nice dude ( the owner)

we are gonna mull it over and see on Monday.

If anyones interested , Senok also confirmed that its a very good car. Has a few niggles but hey ...who doesnt ?

Edited by pradfred

err not really....1993 -94 L200's go for about 1.9 mil and the toyotas go for about the same amount

yeah other double cabs are likely to sell for those prices , but i was of the view that the Toyota crowd have been able to get the ultra conservatives to pay a premium for thier legendarily reliable product! :mellow:

exactly....there is a huge diifferance between the asking price and the prices they actually sell for....specially under the current circumstances

for example the the pajero intercooler never sell for the insane amount their owners quote(one guy tried to sell me his for 6mil,but eventually he sold it for 3.8 mil to another guy).....it's all about the hype,but the reality is very differant...

fair enough..

but which ever way, 3.8 for an intercooler means the sellers has got a good/fair deal ya?