• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

How To Prevent Threads Going OT ??

MADZ

With all due respect KLM, I would have to disagree with that view.... True some threads do tend to go off topic and contain quite some banter, but within reason, as Helrazor pointed out, this is what makes AL more of a friendly atmosphere than most other automotive forums. The key here is for all of us to ensure that OT drifting is kept to a minimum.

As for very little of interest being up here, I suppose we all will have to make a bit more effort into posting relevant threads and so on.... That I suppose will have to be a collective effort.

Incidentally, you too can contribute by putting up threads of interest more frequently machan.... once again, no offense meant. :)

there were few so called Hard core Automative forums in SL and every day we see nothng than fights, im glad no Drag racing discussions in Al cus thats the starting of fights, cus in drag racing there are very few people who think they know better than others cars than the owners of those cars, :rolleyes: also im happy those dumb ass idiots are now not in AL,

IM happy how things are heppning in AL now,

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm guessing those who complain that the members of a forum should never go OT are clearly the types who buy autocar weekly or prefer fifth gear over topgear. i'm not saying they should p*** off but the others members should know just where the limits are. and for those who still can't take it can either go join a german automotive forum or get a life :angry-smiley-048:

Err... dude.. I feel I have to point out at this juncture that you have only been a member here for just about three months.... and although you've certainly been posting at quite a rate, I dont think you're quite justified in telling members (most of whom have been around longer than you) to either go join another forum or "get a life"

Just my 2c :)

I too agree for someone who’s reading a serious thread coming across OT posts can be bit annoying. So my suggestion is to change the colour of the font to an agreed colour (say blue for example) on any posts that are OT. Posters should have the courtesy of doing this and maybe mods can get involved from time to time (i know there’s only one guy in operation now so maybe it is high time to get couple of new faces for the job). This way people who don’t want to read OT posts can simply scroll though the posts in blue. This way the humour OT posts add will be maintained for people who don’t mind reading them.

On KLM’s claim that this forum is not automotive enough, I think this has been the hidden secret behind the success (both in terms of hits per day and revenue) of AL. If this forum was hard-core automotive I don’t see people who know jack about automotive like me logging in religiously. However the little identity we got has managed to keep this forum from turning into an online dating website (but certain posts published recently beg to differ and thank god there aren’t any opposite sex members here or otherwise AL too have the potential to turn into one of those sites)

You have a solid point there XXX...

Also, Guys, I know this is a pretty controversial topic considering past experience.... But dont you think we might do well to have an additional moderator? Cos sharky i know finds it difficult to log on a lot now, and dillongt kinda has a time zone related issue, so that leaves peri with all the work here... Maybe now would be a good time to nominate an extra mod, considering that AL IS rather large and getting larger...

Also, Guys, I know this is a pretty controversial topic considering past experience.... But dont you think we might do well to have an additional moderator? Cos sharky i know finds it difficult to log on a lot now, and dillongt kinda has a time zone related issue, so that leaves peri with all the work here... Maybe now would be a good time to nominate an extra mod, considering that AL IS rather large and getting larger...

OH..are we gona have an election here with candidates and election riggin and all of the fine things inbetween...i hope not...why dont we just drop the issue of threads going OT and let the forum be as it is....it worked fine for last several years...with all the different opinions being posted here and all the guerilla marketing and threads going OT and all the heated arguments or expressions and so on and so forth...but its jus the way the AL forum is and its the uniqueness the forum has so why change it...think of it as the Autolankas way of foruming...just my 2 cents

Err... dude.. I feel I have to point out at this juncture that you have only been a member here for just about three months.... and although you've certainly been posting at quite a rate, I dont think you're quite justified in telling members (most of whom have been around longer than you) to either go join another forum or "get a life"

if HOLA was not baned, im pretty sure he already posted more than 10000, AL is not a place to increse post count by replying to every damn thing, new members have to remember it

didnt we discussed abt this issue sometime ago ? can u remember madz told hell decide when to apoint new mods ? like last time im happy how Preicles doing his job even without any support from other mods, yes other mods are busy but like last time i dnt think we need new mods, B)

i'm guessing those who complain that the members of a forum should never go OT are clearly the types who buy autocar weekly or prefer fifth gear over topgear. i'm not saying they should p*** off but the others members should know just where the limits are. and for those who still can't take it can either go join a german automotive forum or get a life :angry-smiley-048:

see the topic of this thread, even we like or not the owner of this website dosent like threds goin OT, so its better to stay on topic, personally i also like to go bit OT :)

Good to see there are pro and anti posts regarding this matter. I think it is fair to say majority thinks posts slightly running off the topic should be forgiven. I too am in that school of though. But then again how/where can one draw the line and how can one decide/measure the margin of error (in this case off topicness).

I too agree for someone who’s reading a serious thread coming across OT posts can be bit annoying. So my suggestion is to change the colour of the font to an agreed colour (say blue for example) on any posts that are OT. Posters should have the courtesy of doing this and maybe mods can get involved from time to time (i know there’s only one guy in operation now so maybe it is high time to get couple of new faces for the job). This way people who don’t want to read OT posts can simply scroll though the posts in blue. This way the humour OT posts add will be maintained for people who don’t mind reading them.

On KLM’s claim that this forum is not automotive enough, I think this has been the hidden secret behind the success (both in terms of hits per day and revenue) of AL. If this forum was hard-core automotive I don’t see people who know jack about automotive like me logging in religiously. However the little identity we got has managed to keep this forum from turning into an online dating website (but certain posts published recently beg to differ and thank god there aren’t any opposite sex members here or otherwise AL too have the potential to turn into one of those sites)

excellent idea - seeing as i'm one known to often digress, i'll be more than happy to put in an OT post in another colour :)

seeing as all Ash's always posts in Blue we might have to pick another colour , but i'm in support of that idea

Me think that the first violation requires a 1 week ban.

Second 1 year

Third [if the offender so choose to come back]---- A through lynching in a public square, shoot some videos and post here for all to see... ehh.... learn. :)

ouch Mani thats rather extreme! :lol:

OH..are we gona have an election here with candidates and election riggin and all of the fine things inbetween...i hope not...why dont we just drop the issue of threads going OT and let the forum be as it is....it worked fine for last several years...with all the different opinions being posted here and all the guerilla marketing and threads going OT and all the heated arguments or expressions and so on and so forth...but its jus the way the AL forum is and its the uniqueness the forum has so why change it...think of it as the Autolankas way of foruming...just my 2 cents

"if it ain't broke, don't fix it" - now if only the blokes@ F.B bothered to heed that as well...

Edited by Devinda_Z

ouch Mani thats rather extreme! :lol:

now we know who NOT to pick as a mod :lol:

i might have fixed that problem - will tell all once things are official ;)

that is good news indeed! :)

now pardon me while i go and light some sympathy candles for your future employers

:P:lol:

...but i think that person should be decided by MADZ and not by public voting...

Exactly. We all have to always remember that AL is a privately owned site and agree with whatever decission made my the big boss.

...seniority :angry:

yeah...an additional mod to help pericles is a good idea...but i think that person should be decided by MADZ and not by public voting...

i agree. why not people interested in the job send an email or a PM to Madz

rite! at this point i really wanted to say "all the jobless people please form an orderly queue". but since its the OT topic i'm glad i didnt say that :)

ha ha ha aren't you quite the comedian. i'll leave this one for Peri to take over lol

Not about seniority mate....all about respect the other fellow members :)

i didnt mean any of that literally. all i'm saying is going OT doesnt harm anybody as long as whats in the topic is discussed reasonably well. and i wouldnt mind if we are given strict orders to stick to the topic. its just the forum would turn out to be quite dull :)

and if someone feels the urge to ignore me i don't mind. after all i've been in this forum for only 3 months and i'm probably among the youngest if thats got anything to do with this :unsure:

i didnt mean any of that literally. all i'm saying is going OT doesnt harm anybody as long as whats in the topic is discussed reasonably well. and i wouldnt mind if we are given strict orders to stick to the topic. its just the forum would turn out to be quite dull :)

and if someone feels the urge to ignore me i don't mind. after all i've been in this forum for only 3 months and i'm probably among the youngest if thats got anything to do with this :unsure:

Me too like going bit of OT but what S_N meant was nothing about your opinion of being OT. Its about your quote and for those who still can't take it can either go join a german automotive forum or get a life :angry-smiley-048:

Wasn't it rude?

S_N too like going a bit og OT and he has already mentioned that and even kindly disagreed with KLMs post.

Edited by Bharath

Just to clarify mate, what I meant was that your comment (which has been highlighted in bharath's post) was not exactly a polite thing to say.... Even if it was meant as harmless banter (which it probably was), im sure you can appreciate how it might be interpreted in the wrong way... :)

Suggest Madz appoint invisible moderators if there is a requirement of more moderators.But things are smooth sailing now isnt it? Keeping posts clean and maintaining peace is no easy job.Mods are vulnerable to make enemies.Invisible mods are the only solution I see.So this hidden race to be the next appointed Mod will be over ha ha.

Food for thought!

MINIACE

rite! at this point i really wanted to say "all the jobless people please form an orderly queue". but since its the OT topic i'm glad i didnt say that :)

Hay mate, why are you passing rude hint’s on MOD’s without any valid reason?

Well if I were you I would not crack down these kinda jokes to MOD’s in ANY forum. Consider yourself is lucky since AL MOD’s are bit cool and they have a good sense of humor...,but I advice not to push your luck because you are asking for unnecessary trouble :) and for your information all the MOD’s in AL are working on voluntarily basis and they are doing a great service by maintain the forum when ever possible while they do their regular full time jobs.

Hay mate, why are you passing rude hint’s on MOD’s without any valid reason?

Well if I were you I would not crack down these kinda jokes to MOD’s in ANY forum. Consider yourself is lucky since AL MOD’s are bit cool and they have a good sense of humor...,but I advice not to push your luck because you are asking for unnecessary trouble :) and for your information all the MOD’s in AL are working on voluntarily basis and they are doing a great service by maintain the forum when ever possible while they do their regular full time jobs.

speaking of Mods... gotta take our hats off to Peri for doing an absolutely fantastic job! Especially since the other Mods find it difficult to moderate due to work commitments etc...

And if you look at some automotive forums, it's pretty easy to see how things can get out of hand and stoop down to a very low level...

It aint broken...so why looking for a fix.. :)

It takes a lot to be a mod and keep a cool head etc etc...very rare species of folks IMHO :)