• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

How To Prevent Threads Going OT ??

MADZ

I’ve noticed that some of the valuable automotive related threads going OT after some time. We should maintain the quality of the forum. What do you guys think? How can we prevent this in the future, any suggestions? :rolleyes:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’ve noticed that some of the valuable automotive related threads going OT after some time. We should maintain the quality of the forum. What do you guys think? How can we prevent this in the future, any suggestions? :rolleyes:

i noticed the same. but its less boring when you momentarily go OT (say with lady gaga ;) ) to add some much needed excitement on rather drab topics. but i see your point mate. as the premier automotive forum in sl we should indeed make an example. however anyone can open a thread about something utterly contradictory ahem! *cough* ...wont mention names here. the sort of thing that would bring out that sense of playfulness in us all. and by not going off topic ever and by acting like real petrol heads (with a beard, greasy fingernails, mechanics bum crack etc etc) we might be miss that little something that makes us want to log in so often. i'm not saying we should go OT on purpose. but if we must we should apologise beforehand and if it does seem to continue going off topic we should remind the others what the priority is. but personally i think there's no harm going OT when nearly the whole community agrees the topic is pretty much useless (definitely not the tata nano. but i think that thread itself sums up everything about it).

A private warning message first to notify the bad, next a post for all to see (if continues that same).Agreed that many good topics are destroyed by OT posts.

MINIACE

And can delete the OT posts too.

And can bring back the Post Whore thread for the people who want to use.

Edited by Bharath

Guys, my fuel consumption is really low these days and I'm thinking of taking my car to the agents for a checkup..

;)

well.. best thing you could do is try to steer the topic back on topic, and perhaps send a private message to the poster if they continue to try to drag it OT.

Edited by Saturn

Best option is move those OT stuff to post Whroing, i can remember pericles did it so many times, one more thing, valuable automotive related threds never go OT, only boring threds go OT

but with a link to the original dialogue if possible - or else the posts won't make any sense and we end up loosing most of the humour! :D

A warning to the guy and the post being moved to the Post Whoring would be good, but won't it put too much burden on the Mods? Better if we can discipline ourselves, and those who don't should be given warnings?

I also think it should be with done through self discipline. Let them know when they’re going too much OT. But going OT once in a way should be tolerated, since it brings the life in to a boring thread sometimes.

Is that an OT post on the don't go OT thread?

Yes...but in a way it is me protesting against the OT restrictions,i totally agree that members should control themselves from going off topic on important threads,but i honestly believe that some casual chatter should be forgiven from time to time...like asking devinda how his job hunt was going on an otherwise dead thread(nissan cab thread)...i believe it's stuff like that,that makes us the autolanka family and not just another car forum...i am a member of other local and international forums,but this is the only site that makes me feel at home and among friends...and thats what makes some of us log in multiple times a day...

anyways that is just my 2 cents...i will ofcourse respect whatever decision MADZ and the moderators will make....

Yes...but in a way it is me protesting against the OT restrictions,i totally agree that members should control themselves from going off topic on important threads,but i honestly believe that some casual chatter should be forgiven from time to time...like asking devinda how his job hunt was going on an otherwise dead thread(nissan cab thread)...i believe it's stuff like that,that makes us the autolanka family and not just another car forum...i am a member of other local and international forums,but this is the only site that makes me feel at home and among friends...and thats what makes some of us log in multiple times a day...

anyways that is just my 2 cents...i will ofcourse respect whatever decision MADZ and the moderators will make....

Well put Helrazor... Yes, for the most part the members seem quite capable of keeping it going without too many diversions, I guess intervention is only needed if a thread goes wayyy off and keeps going with no heading back to original topic.

yeh i have to agree with him...besides it doesnt get way way off track and its jus a mild case as an when required to....jus to keep things lively....besides i think most of the people creating the thread would have met there objective in terms of info or help...

...like asking devinda how his job hunt was going on.........

:lol: :lol:

It seems you want devinda hunting for job all his life for you to be asking this question once in a while.

I think AL members need to be more disciplined. The few automotive-related threads that come up now are taken over by inane banter that really is more appropriate for a private mailing list or that God-awful 'Post Whoring' thread. To be quite frank, there is actually very little of interest here anymore, automotive-wise, and it's more about other day-to-day nonsense that doesn't really belong on an automotive forum.

Good to see there are pro and anti posts regarding this matter. I think it is fair to say majority thinks posts slightly running off the topic should be forgiven. I too am in that school of though. But then again how/where can one draw the line and how can one decide/measure the margin of error (in this case off topicness).

I too agree for someone who’s reading a serious thread coming across OT posts can be bit annoying. So my suggestion is to change the colour of the font to an agreed colour (say blue for example) on any posts that are OT. Posters should have the courtesy of doing this and maybe mods can get involved from time to time (i know there’s only one guy in operation now so maybe it is high time to get couple of new faces for the job). This way people who don’t want to read OT posts can simply scroll though the posts in blue. This way the humour OT posts add will be maintained for people who don’t mind reading them.

On KLM’s claim that this forum is not automotive enough, I think this has been the hidden secret behind the success (both in terms of hits per day and revenue) of AL. If this forum was hard-core automotive I don’t see people who know jack about automotive like me logging in religiously. However the little identity we got has managed to keep this forum from turning into an online dating website (but certain posts published recently beg to differ and thank god there aren’t any opposite sex members here or otherwise AL too have the potential to turn into one of those sites)

Me think that the first violation requires a 1 week ban.

Second 1 year

Third [if the offender so choose to come back]---- A through lynching in a public square, shoot some videos and post here for all to see... ehh.... learn. :)

Edited by Mani

yes its quite annoying when you are going through a forum to realise its completely OT. but then again jokes aside this forum has a good mix of members with wide spread of knowledge of almost everything thats been discussed. try going to some forum about citroen saxos or ford fiestas and see how they fare against us. and its hardly ever that the topic starter leaves without the answers they needed. mostly i'm glad nobody takes themselves too seriously no matter how much they know.

i'm guessing those who complain that the members of a forum should never go OT are clearly the types who buy autocar weekly or prefer fifth gear over topgear. i'm not saying they should p*** off but the others members should know just where the limits are. and for those who still can't take it can either go join a german automotive forum or get a life :angry-smiley-048:

I think AL members need to be more disciplined. The few automotive-related threads that come up now are taken over by inane banter that really is more appropriate for a private mailing list or that God-awful 'Post Whoring' thread. To be quite frank, there is actually very little of interest here anymore, automotive-wise, and it's more about other day-to-day nonsense that doesn't really belong on an automotive forum.

With all due respect KLM, I would have to disagree with that view.... True some threads do tend to go off topic and contain quite some banter, but within reason, as Helrazor pointed out, this is what makes AL more of a friendly atmosphere than most other automotive forums. The key here is for all of us to ensure that OT drifting is kept to a minimum.

As for very little of interest being up here, I suppose we all will have to make a bit more effort into posting relevant threads and so on.... That I suppose will have to be a collective effort.

Incidentally, you too can contribute by putting up threads of interest more frequently machan.... once again, no offense meant. :)