• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

95 Fuel And Carbon Build Up?

gunat

Over the past few months, i've noticed very heavy carbon build up on the exhaust tip of my car...which logically lead me to look into the tuning of the engine.

Turbos do tend to run rich, but somehow i don't remember it being so quick between the times i wash the car (once a week).

Sole culprit at this point is the fuel as i have had the mani, sparks, and injectors attended to quite recently.

Any other other noticed this in their cars?

I've done a little research on this, and spoken to the agents as well as other parties...but would like to reserve my findings until i get feedback from others on this.

Any thoughts?

Edited by gunat

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope! Very (very) clean. Turbo is absolutely fine- had the agents take a close look...there is an explanation actually, but i'm looking to see if anyone has really noticed something similar...

I might add that it is far less to do with the car and more to do with the fuel...

Edited by gunat

Nope! Very (very) clean. Turbo is absolutely fine- had the agents take a close look...there is an explanation actually, but i'm looking to see if anyone has really noticed something similar...

interesting what more could go wrong.. it's either a rich mixture or lack of O2 .. Can think of EGR, Oxygen sensor, Air flow sensor ?

Over the past few months, i've noticed very heavy carbon build up on the exhaust tip of my car...which logically lead me to look into the tuning of the engine.

Turbos do tend to run rich, but somehow i don't remember it being so quick between the times i wash the car (once a week).

Sole culprit at this point is the fuel as i have had the mani, sparks, and injectors attended to quite recently.

Any other other noticed this in their cars?

I've done a little research on this, and spoken to the agents as well as other parties...but would like to reserve my findings until i get feedback from others on this.

Any thoughts?

i drive a humble corolla and have been pumping 95 since i bought it... haven't noticed any carbon build up like this...

impurities in fuel means less CH bonds /octane level, this should result in poor performance but less carbon build up..

I use octane 90 with soltron and a fule system cleaner every 4000Km's. and it works for me. Cos the fuel it self is not so clean some times and it deffers from batch to batch (one bouser load to another). no matter its 90 or 95. So better to use a fuel system cleaner regularly.

I use octane 90 with soltron and a fule system cleaner every 4000Km's. and it works for me. Cos the fuel it self is not so clean some times and it deffers from batch to batch (one bouser load to another). no matter its 90 or 95. So better to use a fuel system cleaner regularly.

oh crap... that's quite frequent FSC usage innit?

i was advised by an uncle of mine who's into car stuff to use wurth fsc twice an year or so...

and yeah... i think soltron is just bs marketing :D but that's just me :D

i think soltron is just bs marketing :D but that's just me :D[/color]

Soltron smells WD40 for me and Yes I ran my old 504 diesel with soltron for couple of months. From what it looked like, it was as if I'm mixing Petrol with Diesel coz car pulled well for the old engine it had. But engine worn out significantly and after 3 months it gave up on starting. Same effect when you mix small amount of Petrol with a tank full of diesel. Engine runs fine, more power and high wear out. one mechanic told me old diesel engines has carbon deposits in the combustion chamber and this helps to keep a higher compression ratio, when you mix Soltron or Petrol with diesel it causes to remove this carbon deposits and compression ratio drops, thus may become hard to start.

oh crap... that's quite frequent FSC usage innit?

i was advised by an uncle of mine who's into car stuff to use wurth fsc twice an year or so...

and yeah... i think soltron is just bs marketing :D but that's just me :D

Soltron is good but it takes at least 3 days to make it work. Ideally 4 days. the soltron works, but i dont know how good is the product in SL.

mine's around 121000Kms on clock, guess it's bit risky running fuel cleaner that often am i right? agree with Ripper. used soltron for a while, but i couldn't find any differences. it's the same with those nano fuel savers me thinks.. :unsure:

Edited by Ruslan

Soltron smells WD40 for me and Yes I ran my old 504 diesel with soltron for couple of months. From what it looked like, it was as if I'm mixing Petrol with Diesel coz car pulled well for the old engine it had. But engine worn out significantly and after 3 months it gave up on starting. Same effect when you mix small amount of Petrol with a tank full of diesel. Engine runs fine, more power and high wear out. one mechanic told me old diesel engines has carbon deposits in the combustion chamber and this helps to keep a higher compression ratio, when you mix Soltron or Petrol with diesel it causes to remove this carbon deposits and compression ratio drops, thus may become hard to start.

100% agreed.........!

mine's around 121000Kms on clock, guess it's bit risky running fuel cleaner that often am i right? agree with Ripper. use soltron for a while, but i couldn't find any differences. it's the same with those nano fuel savers me thinks.. :unsure:

machan, for old engines, dont start using any fuel system cleaners. if you really want to use it, mix it with some oil treatment like X-1R. (or any other product you think the best for your mortor)

I might add that it is far less to do with the car and more to do with the fuel...

breater send oil vapours to the inlet and slowly thsse go and trapt inside the intercooler, then what hapend is this oil goes to the intake through the TB, get a gallon of toluene and wash the intercooler, we did the same for my friends subaru and it sorted this carbon issue, also if any of the CAT's Fail ull see carbon in the exhaust, if i not mistaked u have cat in uppipe and downpipe ryte ?

mine's around 121000Kms on clock, guess it's bit risky running fuel cleaner that often am i right? agree with Ripper. used soltron for a while, but i couldn't find any differences. it's the same with those nano fuel savers me thinks.. :unsure:

Dunno about soltron, but the Nano fuel saver thingy is just absolute BS of the highest order.... a quick google will show dozens of occasions where the same type of thing has been tested and found to do absolutely nothing at all! The whole Nano thingy appears to be something designed specifically to prove the old saying "A Fool and his money are soon parted"... The promoters make doubly sure by engaging the endorsement of that Quack Alawatte.

Thanks for the all the feedback guys.

Couple of notes on my issue:

1. Its recent, and right after a thorough tune up etc etc

2. As highlighted, failed Cat could be a reason- but its been cat-less for most of its road life. Carbon build up has been in the last couple of months only

3. Govt. is broke, fuel quality is debatable ;) (hint, hint)

Dunno about soltron, but the Nano fuel saver thingy is just absolute BS of the highest order.... a quick google will show dozens of occasions where the same type of thing has been tested and found to do absolutely nothing at all! The whole Nano thingy appears to be something designed specifically to prove the old saying "A Fool and his money are soon parted"... The promoters make doubly sure by engaging the endorsement of that Quack Alawatte.

I cant give any correct stats yet but I recently fixed a nano thingy to my car. First thing i ve noticed was lot of humidity coming from the silencer. (A sign of a good combustion). But i dont know for how long and its still early to give any fuel saving statictics. But for sure something is happening.

Thanks for the all the feedback guys.

Couple of notes on my issue:

1. Its recent, and right after a thorough tune up etc etc

2. As highlighted, failed Cat could be a reason- but its been cat-less for most of its road life. Carbon build up has been in the last couple of months only

3. Govt. is broke, fuel quality is debatable ;) (hint, hint)

Hmmmm...still pumping 95OCT and its Friday (have 2 pump again today)! let us know the final conclusion pls, sooner the better :rolleyes:

placebo effect :D a co-worker who pumped nitrogen insists the fb15 she drives is pulling better, handling better and also giving a comfier ride :D :D

I bet she would easily fall for that ultra bs nano thing also :D :D

apologies gunat for diverting your thread

In that case, I'm experiencing the same thing. I'm running a little on the rich side but still there seems to be an unusual amount of carbon build-up as you mentioned. Washed my car last night and thoroughly scrubbed the exhaust. Will let you know the result after a day or two.

breater send oil vapours to the inlet and slowly thsse go and trapt inside the intercooler, then what hapend is this oil goes to the intake through the TB, get a gallon of toluene and wash the intercooler, we did the same for my friends subaru and it sorted this carbon issue, also if any of the CAT's Fail ull see carbon in the exhaust, if i not mistaked u have cat in uppipe and downpipe ryte ?

Ah the memories of that struggle! LOL!