• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Blown Gasket, Toyota 3l ..hlep Need!

bhanu128

Question

I think the my hilux107 has blow its gaskets, there is lot of bubbles coming out from the radiator now, so 3 questions,

1. is replacing gaskets a big job

2. will there be a problem to engine if run is as it is for a short time

3. will there be a need to rebuild the engine if the damage is big..what would be the cost ..if any of u had to do it..let me know..or will a re-con engine cost less?

10 answers to this question

Are you sure it's your gasket?

If engine still runs smoothly but air bubbles come up it can be a rubber hose leak. Is there any visible water leaks.

If gasket is blown up i think you can see oil leaks in enjine housing as well...

I think the my hilux107 has blow its gaskets, there is lot of bubbles coming out from the radiator now, so 3 questions,

3. will there be a need to rebuild the engine if the damage is big..what would be the cost ..if any of u had to do it..let me know..or will a re-con engine cost less?

few air bubbles coming out is quite ok as far as i know cos during normal operation, some air bubbles tend to form inside the radiator, hoses etc and this tend to "bubble out" from time to time...

If it's a gasket problem leading into this, most of the time the engine tends to heat up fast since the exhaust gases getting into the water jacket will heat up the water much faster than it would be under normal conditions...

Like most folks have said...

with gasket failures... the air bubbles would be significantly more in quantity and also larger in size.....the motor will heat up faster and you might notice water in engine oil and also oil in the water.... It'll appear as a milky substance...

If the gasket issue is on the interior parts of the engine block opening into the waterjacket, you might not notice any oil leaks from the outside...

Replacing gasket is not a major job though i have no idea what the costs are...

running the motor for a while shouldn't be a major issue if you oil isn't getting busted up by possible water seepage, and/or the engine heating up excessively during running

i would doubt you need to rebuild the motor or have to got for a recon engine if the present engine is not having any other issue than water bubbles appearing in the radiator

i would doubt you need to rebuild the motor or have to got for a recon engine if the present engine is not having any other issue than water bubbles appearing in the radiator

cheers to the chief bottle opener :D that is as detailed replay as i hoped! :alc: and to MkX as well

few weeks back during a long drive my engine overheated.. since i noticed some black stuff i did diy cleaning of the radiator.. there i noticed some bubbles but thought it was from a leak so took it to r@house to fix it. when it was fixed the bubbles were bit more frequent and the when i asked why they told it is probably from a busted gasket...thats the full history..

Mkx: there is no visible water leaks

anyway i am glad it will not be as drastic as some guys have suggested :rolleyes:

you can check through a radiator pressure test that your gasket or engine cracked. Running with a damage gasket / head is not advisable as, damaged gasket can fill any of 4 cylinders with water or oil. And that will cause a hydraulic lock in the specific cylinder causing connecting rod bending, damages to valves, rocker arms, cam shaft, etc, etc.

Gasket replacement will be a job around 10k-20k.

But, if your head cracked you have to do a smoke test and if it is so need a replacement, can not estimate the cost. But the worst side you can replace an engine. It will cost around 130k-150k. <_<

But, if your head cracked you have to do a smoke test and if it is so need a replacement, can not estimate the cost. But the worst side you can replace an engine. It will cost around 130k-150k. <_<

call me a pessimist but lests say its the worst case... where could one get an engine replcement ?

also i did some reserch and seems toyota 3L can be replaced by 5L (which i belive has more hp?)... can anyone with better tech knowhow verify this

call me a pessimist but lests say its the worst case... where could one get an engine replcement ?

also i did some reserch and seems toyota 3L can be replaced by 5L (which i belive has more hp?)... can anyone with better tech knowhow verify this

Regarding the swap, it's possible, have seen LJ78 which came with 2L-TE swapped with 5L motor (No point of swapping to 5L cos it's the same HPs with 3L according to the Wiki). if your considering More HP under your hood, why not consider Legendary 1KZ-TE??? ;) well lets hope for the best.. :rolleyes:

This was the Result came when i Googled,

Edited by Ruslan

yes... 3L can be replace with 5L/ 1KZ or even with 2LTE ...

theres a bit difference in displacement in 3L and 5L

from wiki

3L

2779 cc

Output is 89.8 hp (67 kW) at 4000 RPM with 134.9 ft·lb (183 N·m) of torque at 2400 RPM.

5L

2986 cc

Output is 89.8 hp (67 kW) at 4000 RPM with 191 N·m of torque at 2400 RPM.

Edited by ferrarif50