• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Smart Cab

NPP

This is a brand new vehicle i think from Toyota being in sale all over car sales and there is a huge ad campaign for them....

a friend said that they were rather cheap.

i learnt through a post in the forum that they hav a low import tax.

so how much is this thing going at present?

seems cool with that thing at the frnt :rolleyes:

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a brand new vehicle i think from Toyota being in sale all over car sales and there is a huge ad campaign for them....

a friend said that they were rather cheap.

i learnt through a post in the forum that they hav a low import tax.

so how much is this thing going at present?

seems cool with that thing at the frnt :rolleyes:

yep cheap as in rs. 4 million upwards... and then you have to register it as a Lorry. Then you need to have a A class license to drive and get this... you need a permit to enter Colombo... ;)

yep, great deal!

yeah seriously good deal..i come across ones as cheap as 3 million for sale,price differs on the engine i hear...

i got a chance drive one for a lil' bit the and engine was fantastic...torque and the accelaration is amazing...and most of all it's a toyota,with it's legendary reliabilty and resale value..fuel efficiency is also ok,on par with my strada according to the owner...the only minus point is the backseat,but i found that there' enough space for a aftermarket seat,if anyone cares to install one

get yourself a lorry licence(or preferebly the bus licence) and go for it :)

and theres a similar Nissan cab called NAVARA, cheaper than the toyota. to me it looks better than the toyota, as it has the tough look. just my thought

etcmnewnissannavara5.jpg

Also Nissan has got automatic transmission. I have driven a 3 lt vigo cab. excellent pick up after 2000 RPM (turbo gets on).

Please tell me that this is not going to result in Sri Lanka being overrun by idiots in enormous, impractical, gas guzzling trucks, like the USA... :rolleyes:

I heard from a contact at RMV that they are going to put a stop to the registration of these vehicles as Lorries and start taxing them as luxury vehicles. There was a hole in the system and some enterprising importers caught on to it.

I heard from a contact at RMV that they are going to put a stop to the registration of these vehicles as Lorries and start taxing them as luxury vehicles. There was a hole in the system and some enterprising importers caught on to it.

And then it will come to the valued customer at a price of 8 million or may be more. Even at the current price of 3.5-4.0 million people are finding it hard to afford one of these. They seem to be great machines with 3litre turdo diesel toyota engines. Heard these are assembled in Thailand. But our folks will take it slow to get adapted to the whole two door concept or else its a great vehicle for a small family.

Now its almost impossible for a private party to get hands on a new hilux or L200. Only govt departments and NGOs are able to buy these hence they are available on a duty free basis. But back in the day there were many families and private parties who bought b/new LN 65,106,166 double cabs. Something went wrong somewhere down the line, now people only have options like the TATA when it comes to diesel affordability. :angry:

...................................Now its almost impossible for a private party to get hands on a new hilux or L200. Only govt departments and NGOs are able to buy these hence they are available on a duty free basis. But back in the day there were many families and private parties who bought b/new LN 65,106,166 double cabs. Something went wrong somewhere down the line, now people only have options like the TATA when it comes to diesel affordability. :angry:

Following are my observations:

From the late-80s to the late-90s there was a huge influx of Dual-Purpose Diesel Vehicles (Double-Cabs & Vans).

I came to this conclusion after noticing how fast the Reg. No. series of DP vehicles moved on during that period.

Actually it took only 6 yrs (1991-1997) for it to move from 52 - 0001 to 59-9999 (Excluding 55) After 59- came 250- and it took less than 2 yrs to move into 253-.

By the end of 1998 our roads were flooded with "Dolphins" and "Lottos".

With advantages like

* Initial purchase price being just 10-20% more than the Petrol counterpart (Unlike today's >100% difference)

* Ability to be driven with a 'C' class Driving licence

* Space and Practicality

* Diesel Economy (With Super Diesel at less than Rs. 30, It was still cheaper to run even after paying the annual Diesel and luxury taxes)

Dual-Purpose Diesel Vehicles were the natural choice of a prospective buyer who wanted a versatile vehicle for their family use.

Remember that was more than 10 yrs ago.

SUDDENLY the then Government (in their 1998 Budget ?) seemed to have 'applied brakes' to that influx by placing Dual-Purpose Diesel Vehicles on a duty bracket that was even higher than that of Diesel Cars.

[Correct me if I'm wrong. I don't have the facts since I was not in SL in during that period of 1998 Govt. Budget. However I'm sure it was during this period that 'something went wrong' as 'DevakaC' told.]

FINALLY the BIGGEST SHOCK came in 2004 when the Govt. increased the Customs Duty of all Diesel Vehicles (Excluding commercial vehicles) to a ridiculous level thereby almost forbidding people from buying Diesel Vehicles for Private use. :(

Also Nissan has got automatic transmission. I have driven a 3 lt vigo cab. excellent pick up after 2000 RPM (turbo gets on).

Have the 4x4 Navaras come on sale yet? So far all I've seen are the 4x2 variety (with the auto trans). Not sure they look better than the Vigos necessarily, though the latter being so plentiful (read: common) makes the Nissan a bit more desirable, IMO.

and theres a similar Nissan cab called NAVARA, cheaper than the toyota. to me it looks better than the toyota, as it has the tough look. just my thought

etcmnewnissannavara5.jpg

Have the 4x4 Navaras come on sale yet? So far all I've seen are the 4x2 variety (with the auto trans). Not sure they look better than the Vigos necessarily, though the latter being so plentiful (read: common) makes the Nissan a bit more desirable, IMO.

Ditto that

now, how much cheaper than the Toyota is the Navara? :huh:

Following are my observations:

From the late-80s to the late-90s there was a huge influx of Dual-Purpose Diesel Vehicles (Double-Cabs & Vans).

I came to this conclusion after noticing how fast the Reg. No. series of DP vehicles moved on during that period.

Actually it took only 6 yrs (1991-1997) for it to move from 52 - 0001 to 59-9999 (Excluding 55) After 59- came 250- and it took less than 2 yrs to move into 253-.

By the end of 1998 our roads were flooded with "Dolphins" and "Lottos".

With advantages like

* Initial purchase price being just 10-20% more than the Petrol counterpart (Unlike today's >100% difference)

* Ability to be driven with a 'C' class Driving licence

* Space and Practicality

* Diesel Economy (With Super Diesel at less than Rs. 30, It was still cheaper to run even after paying the annual Diesel and luxury taxes)

Dual-Purpose Diesel Vehicles were the natural choice of a prospective buyer who wanted a versatile vehicle for their family use.

Remember that was more than 10 yrs ago.

SUDDENLY the then Government (in their 1998 Budget ?) seemed to have 'applied brakes' to that influx by placing Dual-Purpose Diesel Vehicles on a duty bracket that was even higher than that of Diesel Cars.

[Correct me if I'm wrong. I don't have the facts since I was not in SL in during that period of 1998 Govt. Budget. However I'm sure it was during this period that 'something went wrong' as 'DevakaC' told.]

FINALLY the BIGGEST SHOCK came in 2004 when the Govt. increased the Customs Duty of all Diesel Vehicles (Excluding commercial vehicles) to a ridiculous level thereby almost forbidding people from buying Diesel Vehicles for Private use. :(

your memories on years are impressive. you got the numbers spot on. effects of the initial brakes applied came into effect couple of years later thanks to the government servant permits that were handed out.

Thank you oh master of the wiki... we'd NEVER have been able to figure out what a pickup truck was without your amazing ability to post links.

You got skillz!

Thanks . :)I think the customs duty is less on Standard cabs and Extended or Super cabs.Crew cabs have a higher duty.cheers

Edited by jerryda

your memories on years are impressive. you got the numbers spot on..................

Thank You. :)

.............I think the customs duty is less on Standard cabs and Extended or Super cabs.Crew cabs have a higher duty.cheers

Yes Lorries/Trucks (incl. Smart Cabs, Extended Cabs and King Cabs, all of which have only 2 "proper" doors) falls under the lowest duty bracket.

Then there are the Crew Cabs (i.e. isuzu NHR/ELF 150, Canters with 4 doors and single rear wheels).

These fall under a higher duty bracket.

AFAIK their customs duty amount is not higher as that of Double-Cabs, since they are light commercial vehicles without creature comforts. [Correct me if I'm wrong, because I could not find a Customs Tariff Chart]

Anyway they are registered as Dual purpose Vehicles and can be driven with a 'C' class licence.

As a result, an annual Semi-Luxury Tax is payable if their engine capacity exceeds 2200cc (Source: http://www.motortraffic.gov.lk/services.php#4)

Finally Double-Cabs (4-door models of Toyota Hilux, Mitsubishi L200/Strada/Triton etc.) are the ones that are heavily taxed with Customs Duty and other import levies.

Samishka, you are spot on with your observations. But I still fail to realize the reason behind forbidding people from buying diesel vehicles for private use by levying a ridiculous and unreal tax amount. These taxes dont seem the kind of tax that are levied to earn government revenue but to totally discourage the consumer from buying it. Could it be due to the fact that diesel is highly subsidized and therefore lesser consumption of diesel would save govt more revenue? If there were more diesel vehicles on road than petrol vehicles the govt will have to bear the subsidized cost of each liter of diesel consumed, which could sum upto a massive amount in subsidies. Petrol in the other hand is sold at a profit from what I see. I pumped Gas today and it was $2.49 a gallon which means in SL we could only get 2 liters from it. The rest of the liters left on the gallon goes as revenue i believe either to IOC, CPC, govt. 1 Gallon = 3.79 Litres.

And I didnt know the Nissan Navara was sold in SL. Does it come with the 2.5 engine compared to 3L on the toyota? It does look much better than the toyota and is there actually anybody on this forum who owns any sort of king-cab? For me a king cab is far better investment than a single cab which once we looked at were going above 2Million. (hilux and L200). But the ISUZU single cab was on sale for 1.5 Mil some time back.

Samishka, you are spot on with your observations. But I still fail to realize the reason behind forbidding people from buying diesel vehicles for private use by levying a ridiculous and unreal tax amount. These taxes dont seem the kind of tax that are levied to earn government revenue but to totally discourage the consumer from buying it. Could it be due to the fact that diesel is highly subsidized and therefore lesser consumption of diesel would save govt more revenue? If there were more diesel vehicles on road than petrol vehicles the govt will have to bear the subsidized cost of each liter of diesel consumed, which could sum upto a massive amount in subsidies. Petrol in the other hand is sold at a profit from what I see. I pumped Gas today and it was $2.49 a gallon which means in SL we could only get 2 liters from it. The rest of the liters left on the gallon goes as revenue i believe either to IOC, CPC, govt. 1 Gallon = 3.79 Litres.

yes you are correct it is to minimize the use of diesel that the taxes were raised. but the government of course said a whole different story to public, according to them it was to reduce the pollution caused by diesel cars.

you are wrong on your numbers though. first of all never compare gasoline prices of other countries. different countries have different policies. for example simply cross across to the other side of the boarder and the prices are no where near that of the US. neither CPC nor LIOC makes much of a profit as both of them have to pay a huge amounts of taxes to the treasury. it is the treasury that gets all the money.

on a more lighter note it is because sri lanka is NOT a banana republic price of petrol went down by Rs.15 over night last week even when the taxation policy and the price of crude oil remained what it was months and months ago.

yes you are correct it is to minimize the use of diesel that the taxes were raised. but the government of course said a whole different story to public, according to them it was to reduce the pollution caused by diesel cars.

you are wrong on your numbers though. first of all never compare gasoline prices of other countries. different countries have different policies. for example simply cross across to the other side of the boarder and the prices are no where near that of the US. neither CPC nor LIOC makes much of a profit as both of them have to pay a huge amounts of taxes to the treasury. it is the treasury that gets all the money.

on a more lighter note it is because sri lanka is NOT a banana republic price of petrol went down by Rs.15 over night last week even when the taxation policy and the price of crude oil remained what it was months and months ago.

You know, I must ask... do you get paid for this? because as of oh, I dont know, the last year or so you only ever make posts that have some kind of political finger pointing in them. What may I ask is the point?

This thread was a discussion on the merits of extented cab pickups and now we seem to be discussing government policies and world gas prices, Bit OT yes?

You know, I must ask... do you get paid for this? because as of oh, I dont know, the last year or so you only ever make posts that have some kind of political finger pointing in them. What may I ask is the point?

This thread was a discussion on the merits of extented cab pickups and now we seem to be discussing government policies and world gas prices, Bit OT yes?

Machang DevakaC asked a question i simply answered, he miss interprited something i merely corrected it. I'm sure (hope) someone must have updated their knowledge on the matter. Very last paragraph was ofcourse aimed at the other thread to prove my point that the name calling is pointed towards the chaotic administration of the country and not anything else.

and the answer to your question, I'll let your imagination run wild on that.