• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Is It Safe To Move From Semi Synthetic Oil To Fully Synthetic Oil ?

Podi Lamaya

Is it safe to move from Semi Synthetic Oil to Fully Synthetic Oil without an engine flush ? The complete engine flush which "PITSTOP" offers is recommended ? Are there any risks in engine flushing ?

After dabbling on this subject for a long time I personally has stopped using Synthetic oils or the idea of 'flushing' especially.

Why do you need to flush an engine? Unless its very very old or burning oil. Flushing engines tend to dislodge accumulated sludge and this can actually cause more issues than it supposed to solve.

Use the factory recommended oil, service at the specified intervals and enjoy the car.

A*W recommends standard LankaOil SAE 40, believe it or not with 4000km intervals.

Not sure for Toyota, but I suppose it rings true for that as well.

and for all these stuff they want to pour in to your crankcase, not a good idea mate.

After dabbling on this subject for a long time I personally has stopped using Synthetic oils or the idea of 'flushing' especially.

Why do you need to flush an engine? Unless its very very old or burning oil. Flushing engines tend to dislodge accumulated sludge and this can actually cause more issues than it supposed to solve.

Use the factory recommended oil, service at the specified intervals and enjoy the car.

A*W recommends standard LankaOil SAE 40, believe it or not with 4000km intervals.

Not sure for Toyota, but I suppose it rings true for that as well.

and for all these stuff they want to pour in to your crankcase, not a good idea mate.

I agree with VVTi when it comes to the the sludge flush:

An oil flush is really not something you need to get done unless your engine is giving you trouble; even then then it depends on the paticular issue you're having. And in most situations like VVTi states it would cause MORE problems than not. An oil flush uses solvents to dissolve and dislodge accumulated sludge and forces it backwards through your engine. Not a good idea as engines are full of narrow creavises and have one-way valves in certain areas. The likely hood of something dislodging off where it was doing no harm and getting lodged in someplace critical is always present.

Save your money and don't let these lube places rip you off.

Edited by Kavvz

I mentioned in another thread where a Cefiro V6 engine was completely wrecked due to severe sludge issues because the owner was adding every kind of muck in the engine. The flushing liquid that was added to 'clean' the engine edislodged some sludge and blocked the valve that controls the timing chain tensioner and whammm!!!

Major overhaul.

If you wanna switch, just switch. No need for a flush. The main reason you'll have sludge is when you use a conventional oil and don't change the oil at recommended intervals; and over time it breaks down and causes sludge. Synthetics don't do that as much; if any at all. When I rebuilt my engine, I used straight 30 to break it in and then switched to synthetic at the first oil change and you can take my engine apart and it still looks brand new.

If you wanna switch, just switch. No need for a flush. The main reason you'll have sludge is when you use a conventional oil and don't change the oil at recommended intervals; and over time it breaks down and causes sludge. Synthetics don't do that as much; if any at all. When I rebuilt my engine, I used straight 30 to break it in and then switched to synthetic at the first oil change and you can take my engine apart and it still looks brand new.

MeanGreen, problem in SL machang, is that there are so many misinformation and crappy products in the market with no control or proper advise..

Also due to very high ambient temps and the stop and go nature of our traffic really places immense pressure and stress on the oils we use.

Our engines are stressed beyond anything yours face on a daily basis.

In your case, you rebuilt it from Zero. Most of us buy cars that we are not sure how it was maintained. Unless b/new.

IMO just to do the switch if the engine still has low km's on it. But dont do the flush for the discussed reasons. Anyway why do you want to switch from semi to full?

Is it safe to move from Semi Synthetic Oil to Fully Synthetic Oil without an engine flush ? The complete engine flush which "PITSTOP" offers is recommended ? Are there any risks in engine flushing ?

MeanGreen, problem in SL machang, is that there are so many misinformation and crappy products in the market with no control or proper advise..

Also due to very high ambient temps and the stop and go nature of our traffic really places immense pressure and stress on the oils we use.

In your case, you rebuilt it from Zero. Most of us buy cars that we are not sure how it was maintained. Unless b/new.

When you create fear it's easy money, IMO if service done on time, fuel chagne, filter change, etc no need of flush for years and lubrication always circulate and what ever the deposits (if they can damage the engine) in oil sump will removed in regular oil change. So no need of flush when changing the oil.

Its easy money for marketers when your technical knowledge is limited. It cause fear and fear drives you to buy anything. I know my friends who doesn't know what 4-stroke means in an engine.

When you create fear it's easy money, IMO if service done on time, fuel chagne, filter change, etc no need of flush for years and lubrication always circulate and what ever the deposits (if they can damage the engine) in oil sump will removed in regular oil change. So no need of flush when changing the oil.

Its easy money for marketers when your technical knowledge is limited. It cause fear and fear drives you to buy anything. I know my friends who doesn't know what 4-stroke means in an engine.

Every time I took the P11 or the Ford, EVERY TIME, they want to pour in that muck in, and everytime I had to snap at them saying NO. Then they say its 'good' for the engine. One day I had to tell them if they cant do the service the way I want to do the service, please lower the car and I will take it away. Since then, no offers to 'flush'.. :) They even have the flush to flush the Power steering circuit.... :)

Us mere mortals... we bleed the circuits.

But its sad the way they convince the other hapless, clueless motorists for a ride with their 'flushing' gimmicks.

that's what I'm getting at, pick a name brand synthetic oil and stick to and you'll have no issues. A good brand would also clean up the gunk in your engine (within reason) over time. I used to do this kinda service all the time and people used to come to us and ask for a flush and we'd take a quick peak in the oil cap and say "no, you don't need it, just switch to a good brand of oil and follow the maintenance schedule to the dot and you'll be thanking us down the road". The only reason you would even change a synthetic oil is because the additives (for sludge removal/etc.) break down, not the oil itself.

bingo! Edited by Mean Green z28

My car has 54,000 Km on ODO meter & it is well maintained (records available). But the first owner (I'm 2nd owner) was using semi synthetic oil since he imported the car at mid 2006 (car is brand newly imported & 2006 made). I decided to change the oil in to fully synthetic because, heard some good qualities of that oil type & some friends recommended too. Anyway thanks guys. I'm NOT going to flush my engine. It seems no need of flushing for 54,000 Km driven well maintained engine without a reason. All what I understood from the discussion is this.

SWITCHING FROM SEMI SYNTHETIC TO FULLY SYNTHETIC WILL NOT CAUSE ANY PROBLEMS & NO NEED OF ENGINE FLUSH.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks.

My car has 54,000 Km on ODO meter & it is well maintained (records available). But the first owner (I'm 2nd owner) was using semi synthetic oil since he imported the car at mid 2006 (car is brand newly imported & 2006 made). I decided to change the oil in to fully synthetic because, heard some good qualities of that oil type & some friends recommended too. Anyway thanks guys. I'm NOT going to flush my engine. It seems no need of flushing for 54,000 Km driven well maintained engine without a reason. All what I understood from the discussion is this.

SWITCHING FROM SEMI SYNTHETIC TO FULLY SYNTHETIC WILL NOT CAUSE ANY PROBLEMS & NO NEED OF ENGINE FLUSH.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks.

Yes no need of fushing. but if u are too much worried about it, you can do the flush with the fully synthetic oil that you are going to introduce. Also remember that oil changing interval should be according to the engine manufactureres recommendation not the oil manufactureres recommendation. (ie 3000km for most vehicles).