• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Bj 40 Vs 4dr5 Vs Lr

hasthi

Hi guys,

I would like to buy a BJ 40/43, LR or a 4dr5 4x4, but not sure which is the best for modifying. The idea is to convert that it in to a real off- road rig leaving only the chasy and body untouched. Any suggestions???????

Edited by hasthi

Hi guys,

I would like to buy a BJ 40/43, LR or a 4dr5 4x4, but not sure which is the best for modifying. The idea is to convert that it in to a real off- road rig leaving only the chasy and body untouched. Any suggestions???????

Many thanks for the info. But what about the spares? Readily available?

Can any body tell me where to buy the right 4x4 accessories . A phone number will do.

Thanking in advance.

:alc:

BJ40/43 or 4DR5 can be heavily modified and are excellent off roaders. I fully second the comments made by some other members on cost of modifying and maintaining a LR. It would be at least twice as much as what a BJ40/43 or 4DR5 would cost. In terms of reliability as well the Japs would be better than the LR.

Cheers!

thats perception

well no, not really... fact is that LR's ARE more difficult to maintain/source the correct parts for than a Bj series Cruiser. They aren't the nightmares that sri lankan "wisdom" considers them to be by any means, but compared to the toyotas they do give more headaches.

BJ40/43 or 4DR5 can be heavily modified and are excellent off roaders. I fully second the comments made by some other members on cost of modifying and maintaining a LR. It would be at least twice as much as what a BJ40/43 or 4DR5 would cost. In terms of reliability as well the Japs would be better than the LR.

Cheers!

I have done a bit of research myself on the subject(Only electronic media), and what i have found was indeed the Jap rigs are reliable and can be heavily modified as you suggest. How ever when it comes to stability i think the LR stands tall.

In my case i dont want this rig to be ´¨competitionon only¨. It must be street legal, which means changing over to wider track axles is out of the question.

But the LR is wider by design and has to be more stable(i am only guessing). Normally the diff gear ratio is low , meaning taller tires without much hassle.

So finally when you wiegh the pros and cons.....

LR= STABLE,UNRELIABLE,EXPENSIVE TO MAINTAIN

BJ=UNSTABLE,RELIABLE,INEXPENSIVE TO MAINTAIN

Only other criteria which is not included in the equation is the initial cost of two similar condition vehicles.

Which is better???????????

Hasthi

I have done a bit of research myself on the subject(Only electronic media), and what i have found was indeed the Jap rigs are reliable and can be heavily modified as you suggest. How ever when it comes to stability i think the LR stands tall.

In my case i dont want this rig to be ´¨competitionon only¨. It must be street legal, which means changing over to wider track axles is out of the question.

But the LR is wider by design and has to be more stable(i am only guessing). Normally the diff gear ratio is low , meaning taller tires without much hassle.

Only other criteria which is not included in the equation is the initial cost of two similar condition vehicles.

Hasthi

The Stability issue is really a matter of minute differences it's nowhere near enough of a gap to say that an LR is stable and the 'Cruiser is unstable. Also keep in mind that with vehicles this old, which (Hopefully at least) should have hat a lot of major components replaced/upgraded over the last 25+ years, the differences really do come down to individual vehicles. So your best bet would be to try out similar examples of both and see. :)

Hasthi

think about a nissan patrol 160 too its also a good 1