• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Land Rover Assembly In Sri Lanka

racerx

You got a very good point. But if you closely scrutinize the existing vehicle assembly operations in SL you'll see local value addition even though it’s in the rule book is none existence and same applies to the forex outflow. Radical reduction of price in these assembled vehicles is mainly due to not having to pay the full amount of taxes and custom duty, not because the initial CIF value is low (it is somewhat low but not a great deal).

Assembling vehicles locally is definitely the way forward but i'm afraid existing operations have add no value to the local economy other than couple of dozen individuals getting employment and handful of individuals becoming multi millionaires.

agreed, what most of operations does is bring down CKD kits and reassemble. There were few initiatives like Araliya seats were benefitted. However, this used vehicle assembling project can help saving forex as they bring down parts at a penny and a half ;) though safety can be questioned.

For L board's economies of scale, we got to start operating in order to think about scales, rather improving and refining processes.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

agreed, what most of operations does is bring down CKD kits and reassemble. There were few initiatives like Araliya seats were benefitted. However, this used vehicle assembling project can help saving forex as they bring down parts at a penny and a half ;) though safety can be questioned.

Harsha again its hard to disagree with you. But from what i've heard even this BOI assembly project brings down the whole shell of the car, local assembling is limited to things like doors, seats, tiers etc. hence the initial cost is not that cheap. Plus these vehicles are fairly old. Government is better off lifting or expanding the age limit on used cars imports.

As someone mentioned most of these projects are initiated buy well 'connected' individuals therefore finding and exploiting loopholes is a piece of cake.

Good example with Araliya unfortunately they too ran into trouble due to well connected individuals obtaining permits to bring down used seats stating overall quality of the seats produced by Araliya is not good enough for the luxury coaches used in tourism industry.

For L board's economies of scale, we got to start operating in order to think about scales, rather improving and refining processes.

Only if you can get those manufacturers to operate before they think about the scales! They got to be having such a bad business sense which is quite unusual! Before they think about Sri Lanka to begin a manufacturing plant they must wipe out China from the map I guess. Beetles singing....Dreeeeeaaam, dream, dream, dream, dream, dreeeeeaam. I wish positive attitudes could do all these.....Makes me laugh

:D

Only if you can get those manufacturers to operate before they think about the scales! They got to be having such a bad business sense which is quite unusual! Before they think about Sri Lanka to begin a manufacturing plant they must wipe out China from the map I guess. Beetles singing....Dreeeeeaaam, dream, dream, dream, dream, dreeeeeaam. I wish positive attitudes could do all these.....Makes me laugh

:D

dude, you're looking at this assembling thing from a different angle. I don't see any reason as to why a manufacturer would move into this market, knowing that, it's us, local business has to drive such projects like what upali motors did.

What about assembly plants exists in countries like kenya, nigeria? What they did was buying the production plant once production life cycle of the plant has been end where principles have recovered the initial investment and surplus. Such production plants they bought in 80's manufacturing vehicles to the date.

Well i don't think positive thinking alone would do everything but definitely negative thinking at your level will not do any better even at personal development

dude, you're looking at this assembling thing from a different angle. I don't see any reason as to why a manufacturer would move into this market, knowing that, it's us, local business has to drive such projects like what upali motors did.

What about assembly plants exists in countries like kenya, nigeria? What they did was buying the production plant once production life cycle of the plant has been end where principles have recovered the initial investment and surplus. Such production plants they bought in 80's manufacturing vehicles to the date.

Well i don't think positive thinking alone would do everything but definitely negative thinking at your level will not do any better even at personal development

Well the two countries you have taken as examples make me laugh again. I actually cant stop laughing :D No wonder they remain extremely under developed!

I dont think our investors have such a poor sense of business to buy a scrap plant and manufacture outdated models here. Even if they do, our market is so small that they will never be able to recover that investment (Unless those plants are like tents which you can close, bring over here and re-irrect over here and start to produce donuts). Before we think about vehicle plants here, we dont even have simple TVs assembled here. At least if we had motor cycle, scooter which have a bigger market than Land Rovers???? Some one please help me to stop laughing...... :D

This senseless positive thinking is giving me good entertainment early on a Monday morning which is great!

Edited by L board

Well the two countries you have taken as examples make me laugh again. I actually cant stop laughing :D No wonder they remain extremely under developed!

I dont think our investors have such a poor sense of business to buy a scrap plant and manufacture outdated models here. Even if they do, our market is so small that they will never be able to recover that investment (Unless those plants are like tents which you can close, bring over here and re-irrect over here and start to produce donuts). Before we think about vehicle plants here, we dont even have simple TVs assembled here. At least if we had motor cycle, scooter which have a bigger market than Land Rovers???? Some one please help me to stop laughing...... :D

This senseless positive thinking is giving me good entertainment early on a Monday morning which is great!

well, you seriously need to wake up and look around mate. All those commodities you mentioned are being assembled here. Ever heard of Unic TV? or TVS motor cycles ? and the mentioned countries made you laugh are doing better than what we are in current economic context.

well, you seriously need to wake up and look around mate. All those commodities you mentioned are being assembled here. Ever heard of Unic TV? or TVS motor cycles ? and the mentioned countries made you laugh are doing better than what we are in current economic context.

Its a great pleasure to know it. By the way can you direct me to any web material which gives details of Unic TV assembly in Sri Lanka or TVS cycles being assembled in Sri Lanka. Even if they are done here, they are by no means comparable with assembly of motor cars such as Corollas, Civics or Defenders. For the two countries you mentioned, I am still laughing... Their economic placement ahead of us makes me laugh longer :D

One more thing. I just called TVS Lanka. They said all their models are manufactured and assembled in India. However, due to ease of shipping and to minimise damage via transportation, they fix few items in Sri Lanka such as the side mirrors. They do not have a complete assembly plant where they get the parts seperately and assemble over here. They get the total unit with engine etc readily fixed from India but only few items such as the side mirrors are fixed here. It is a shame to call it an assembly :angry-smiley-048:

I am still waiting for your information on Unic Television. Let's see whether there is any truth behind that at least. :ninja:

Edited by L board

It is a shame to call it an assembly :angry-smiley-048:

that's where whole thing gets started. We'll see what happens to these initiatives. But as you said this thread neither died nor enthusiasm on assembling thing has not deteriorated. Mind you, assembling and manufacturing are two different things, countries like ours could afford to assembling that's how Ssangyong and some another chinese brands are being assembled here. Even the topic is based on such projects focusing on low cost labour can be found in here.

Edited by harshansenadhir

Its a great pleasure to know it. By the way can you direct me to any web material which gives details of Unic TV assembly in Sri Lanka or TVS cycles being assembled in Sri Lanka. Even if they are done here, they are by no means comparable with assembly of motor cars such as Corollas, Civics or Defenders. For the two countries you mentioned, I am still laughing... Their economic placement ahead of us makes me laugh longer :D

Even the Micro or Wasana or any other assembly lines are not comparable with the mentioned brands, it's well known truth. Read the topic again, it says assembly, not manufacturing and that is very much feasible with todays context and that's where 12 million priced Sangyong is available at 7mil range. Same will happen to Land rover if it can be assembled locally.

One more thing. I just called TVS Lanka. They said all their models are manufactured and assembled in India. However, due to ease of shipping and to minimise damage via transportation, they fix few items in Sri Lanka such as the side mirrors. They do not have a complete assembly plant where they get the parts seperately and assemble over here. They get the total unit with engine etc readily fixed from India but only few items such as the side mirrors are fixed here. It is a shame to call it an assembly :angry-smiley-048:

I am still waiting for your information on Unic Television. Let's see whether there is any truth behind that at least. :ninja:

Dude what the hell is your problem? Some people here are just trying to be a bit forward thinking... Yeah there's no guarantee that it'll work out but then your attitude is inexplicable.... you seem to be dead set against the very IDEA that something could possibly be assembled in Sri Lanka. Whats your deal anyway? Why the constant muleish negativity?

Dude what the hell is your problem? Some people here are just trying to be a bit forward thinking... Yeah there's no guarantee that it'll work out but then your attitude is inexplicable.... you seem to be dead set against the very IDEA that something could possibly be assembled in Sri Lanka. Whats your deal anyway? Why the constant muleish negativity?

Now now why do you want to spoil the innocent conversation we were having? So are you also going to buy a scrap plant from Uganda and start manufacturing donuts over here? :angry-smiley-048:

Oh by the way the topic initiator wants to know why Defenders are not assembled in Sri Lanka right? So lets expand on this positive thinking. Why dont we start assembling Nissan Patrol, Toyota Land Cruiser, Mitsubishi Montero, Nissan Xtrail, Toyota Rav 4, BMW M3?... well how about Aston Martin or Lamborgini? I mean why dont we start assembling them in Sri Lanka? Why not ha? Why should we limit the topic to just Land Rover Defenders? Let's be more positive and add these also to the list. Let's forget about the Sunnys, Corollas and Civics...they are too small compared to the Defender :P

Edited by L board

Oh by the way the topic initiator wants to know why Defenders are not assembled in Sri Lanka right? So lets expand on this positive thinking. Why dont we start assembling Nissan Patrol, Toyota Land Cruiser, Mitsubishi Montero, Nissan Xtrail, Toyota Rav 4, BMW M3?... well how about Aston Martin or Lamborgini? I mean why dont we start assembling them in Sri Lanka? Why not ha? Why should we limit the topic to just Land Rover Defenders? Let's be more positive and add these also to the list. Let's forget about the Sunnys, Corollas and Civics...they are too small compared to the Defender :P

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the defender is more feasible to be assembled as a start-up cos it is technologically less complex than say a Nissan Patrol or a Toyotoa LC. Its a basic get parts, screw them on depending on the body configuration necessary, and ship them out process. Not too many high tech components. So the quality 'drop' of being assembled by a 3rd party as opposed to LR themselves would be relatively less.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but thats what i thought was the initial reasoning.

i for once thought you're with negative thinking and an extremist of it. But now i know that it's just about lack of understanding and issues in comprehending. Dude, get your facts organised and keep yourself updated, at least about what happens in sri lanka at least in automobile industry since this is an automobile forum. There were initiatives, rather boi approvals given for start up a land rover and jag assembly plant. At least before indians buy them over. Topic starter asking what has happened to that initiative, not a stupid question like why aston martin is not assembled in sri lanka as you might'Ve understood.

Edited by harshansenadhir

hey L board...I really think you should get your facts straight before commenting on our country's lack of engineering know how to even "ASSEMBLE" a LR defender.

first of all ill just explain sum details about the land rover defender.

If you have a chassis, gear box and the engine coupled to it, you can easily BUILD the remaining whole vehicle in sri lanka. The body panels can be fabricated in aluminum and be riveted together and fixed to the chassis. and all the other stuff, like coil springs, servo brakes, power steering and AC and etc etc can be produced within sri lanka or purchased in sri lanka. by the way do u think all the defenders that you see in sri lanka are directly imported from the UK :D

People like osanda and another couple of guys bring down original parts from the uk and basicall assemble the defender from the scratch up. And some people even go as far as to modify the chassis!!!!! Basically in sri lanka all most 60% of the private vehicles that are seen on the road are assemble or even built by a common sri lankan garage "bas" who havent even completed his o/ls. So think what we can do if we start a plant and get trained technicians to work in it. It is is not just a dream as u say L board. If a common bas can build a defender IN Sri Lanka, then we can definitely can produce them in mass scale if we start a plant. We don't have to get tents from Timbuktu and erect them here and start selling donuts in it :angry-smiley-048:

I know this is an automobile thread, but did you people know that we are basically BUILDING ships at Colombo Dockyards and our Navy build their own Fast Attack Craft (DVORA) and arrow gun boats?

As an engineer living in Sri Lanka, I strongly believe that an assembling plant of vehicles(be it cars vans or lorries or busses) can be easily started in sri lanka.

WE have built busses in sri lanka (LATEC AND D*MO)

WE have built cars in sri lanka.

If we can do that then, why cant we do it now. As I think, the only thing that is in the way is people like L Board who thinks that they have to go and lick a suddas ass to get everything, ranging from our vehicles to our education. :violent-smiley-099:

hey L board...I really think you should get your facts straight before commenting on our country's lack of engineering know how to even "ASSEMBLE" a LR defender.

If you have a chassis, gear box and the engine coupled to it, you can easily BUILD the remaining whole vehicle in sri lanka. The body panels can be fabricated in aluminum and be riveted together and fixed to the chassis. and all the other stuff, like coil springs, servo brakes, power steering and AC and etc etc can be produced within sri lanka or purchased in sri lanka. by the way do u think all the defenders that you see in sri lanka are directly imported from the UK :D

People like osanda and another couple of guys bring down original parts from the uk and basicall assemble the defender from the scratch up. And some people even go as far as to modify the chassis!!!!! Basically in sri lanka all most 60% of the private vehicles that are seen on the road are assemble or even built by a common sri lankan garage "bas" who havent even completed his o/ls. So think what we can do if we start a plant and get trained technicians to work in it. It is is not just a dream as u say L board. If a common bas can build a defender IN Sri Lanka, then we can definitely can produce them in mass scale if we start a plant. We don't have to get tents from Timbuktu and erect them here and start selling donuts in it :angry-smiley-048:

I know this is an automobile thread, but did you people know that we are basically BUILDING ships at Colombo Dockyards and our Navy build their own Fast Attack Craft (DVORA) and arrow gun boats?

As an engineer living in Sri Lanka, I strongly believe that an assembling plant of vehicles(be it cars vans or lorries or busses) can be easily started in sri lanka.

If we can do that then, why cant we do it now. As I think, the only thing that is in the way is people like L Board who thinks that they have to go and lick a suddas ass to get everything, ranging from our vehicles to our education. :violent-smiley-099:

well said

Edited by Chooti Putha

1+ :)

very well said mate. I couldn't have told it any better. But i doubt he would understand this with his sudda biased glasses.

Don't want to take anyones side here just having a stab at this with my two cents.

Yes we do have lot of local talent and resources (someone in this forum once did say existence of talented individuals among a group is natural). But the question is can that be turned in to a fully fledged business???? Assembling/restoring a single vehicle a month or a week to cater to a similar demand is simply not in the same league. In that case L board did have a point in saying it is useless discussing why we are not assembling X, Y or Z car.

As I said earlier trying to assemble cars locally is definitely a forward step. My view is best path for such an operation is to assemble a car that caters to the masses. But then again that segment is filled with Indian and Chinese competitors. Cruel irony is Micro I believe had a similar view but with new found 'friendship' they seems to have changed their strategy.

Sir,

I appreciate your post as a Educated Engineer. But how many people can do this Micro first had lot of difficulties in registering this first Micro Car now they are doing a better job with mini van and others

Wasana came out with a Chinese 15 seat locally assembled van it is their at their Walisara show room.

To get BOI status to assemble a Vehicle you have to go behind so many people it is most annoying that officer is not present and come back when he is their.

20 years ago I assembled a Bakery mixer with a two speed motor most of the moving parts was driven byduplex Chains motor was 5HP 3PH driven with three belts with a auto spring loaded Belt adjuster.

When I took this machine to Ratmalana IDB Government institution the Engineer concern did not want me to bring the machine inside to their premises As he had a argument about with me on a different Tea leaves bag loading machine which I did and he did not recommend for Insurance to that factory.

As this was informed early to IDB and with prior approval I took the Bakery machine their. he looked at the machine and said Belt driven Bakery mixers are Failures and he cannot do any comments on this Machine.

I wanted to produce this for mechanizing Baker's cost at that time was Rupees 40000.00.

I operated this Machine for five years without any break downs in a Bakery and sold it to a Engineer friend of mine.

Recently one Motor Examiner refused to go to Examine one of my Vehicle which met with a accident Without his ? and I had to complain in to RMV relevant head of the department after his order this examination was done in one hour with all endorsements that I cannot drive without getting examined at Vehrahara.

He retained my Vehicle Revenue License the person who went to take back after all was done he had told that person one day he will meet me because I complained to Head of the department.

Above are few Experiences in Srilanka Public service officers. I have had.

Wijesinghe.

WOW sylvi!!!! talk about going OT!!!!

6 hours on the internet, and that's how your type?? maybe you can read an article on 'punctuation marks' sometime?

am i the only person who couldnt understand jack-shi** in the above post?

Edited by Dilesh