• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Our New Baby, Fiat Grande Punto

VVTi

Park ROAD people, its Park Road!!!

:D

(that's the road turning off from the baseline near the Apollo Hospital)

Whoops! Must be all the Monopoly :D

And its Apollo no longer. Now Lanka Hospitals. Or Hospital. I haven't bothered to find out which.

I think it is... I've seen it in India.. and the Punto too is now made in India. VVTi's machine came from Italy.

i think "made" is a wrong word there...some fiats would be assembled in india but i'm not too sure which ones are and which ones arent.

triptronic is having an auto box with the ability of selecting the gear literally. But when you slow down it'll down shift automatically to the appropriate gear. Where as this is like having a manual box with automated clutch.

Mate not too sure if im with you on this one. I had a sportstronic on my eclipse where as VVTI said you can slap the gear up or down while its floored. Triptronic does the same, theres no abilitiy to literally select the gear we want. And on the sportstronic if your on 3rd and come to a stop it wont automatically downshift to 1 but instead be on 3. For what i know Slap Sticks are known in different names but same technology (sportstronic, triptronic, steptronic etc) From what i see the Punto has a slap stick just like every other car with a gear lever closely resembling a manual. If i misunderstood what you were referring clear me up.

On a side note nice set of wheels marn. Red looks good on the baby.

Last week we brought home our new baby. Considering the crazy market prices for mundane, second hand, 10 year old cars, this was IMHO was a better deal.

Just took it for a Colombo-Galle- Colombo trip and couldn't have been happier with the choice... though we were discouraged a lot by the usual 'Jap Experts'...:)

Excellent road holding, steering response and feel is amazing... almost tempted to pull of a few crazy vettus! Alas my fun was cut short by a White Striped PoPo... ;) Now I have to drive again on Monday to pay a fine... :)

But it was worth it.

Believe it or not, the fuel consumption figures were far superior to any Jap car I have ever seen.... see the pics for yourselves.

Not bad for a 1.4 ltr 8V engine..... :))

28052010054.jpg

img0470he.jpg

img0473ps.jpg

img0467kn.jpg

You are correct.It gave figures of 39 also, however I filled the tank to the brim before we left and filled her up again when we returned home from the gas station close to home. The tank only took in around 12ltrs. Overall trip distance was around 270 Kms. But there wwas no traffic or any hard drioving... damn cops. Who managed to take my license ANYAWAY saying I crossed the white line in Beruwala. Sigh!

Maybe it has something to do with only 8 Valves and a very light car.. sub 1000Kgs. But I do have a very very light foot as well.

Or Maybe it was just the initial self calibration of the thing... maybe it will settle off after a few thousand Kms.

Damn... this is becoming one of those dreaded Fuel Consumption threads!

I also have a Grande Punto and does only 10km per liter in the city and 12-13km out of city :mellow: Never got anything more than that.

As Dilesh said it is the instant consumption per liter as shown in the dash. You also have the same option in the Japanese 1500cc VVTI Swift sold brand new from the agents here….

All in all Grande Punto is a great car and I drive it every day… :-)

I also have a Grande Punto and does only 10km per liter in the city and 12-13km out of city :mellow: Never got anything more than that.

As Dilesh said it is the instant consumption per liter as shown in the dash. You also have the same option in the Japanese 1500cc VVTI Swift sold brand new from the agents here….

All in all Grande Punto is a great car and I drive it every day… :-)

with a nice set of alloys as i hear from friends who are in an MBA class :)

Mate not too sure if im with you on this one. I had a sportstronic on my eclipse where as VVTI said you can slap the gear up or down while its floored. Triptronic does the same, theres no abilitiy to literally select the gear we want. And on the sportstronic if your on 3rd and come to a stop it wont automatically downshift to 1 but instead be on 3. For what i know Slap Sticks are known in different names but same technology (sportstronic, triptronic, steptronic etc) From what i see the Punto has a slap stick just like every other car with a gear lever closely resembling a manual. If i misunderstood what you were referring clear me up.

On a side note nice set of wheels marn. Red looks good on the baby.

triptronic/sportronic/steptronic and clutchless manual AKA semi-automatic are two different technologies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semi-automatic_transmission

Dear Friend,

Canu plz mention the model and price of this dream machine? :angry-smiley-048:

Read the thread from the beginning mate. I`m sure these info was mentioned before.

where did you get the jack stands from and how much did they cost?

btw...car is looking good :D

on a side note.... guess who got a test drive on VVTI's GP....ME!!!!!!!!! :D:) :)

VVTI talked me out of doing a power slide though :P

lol !! You lucky fellow...got pictures? As for the power slide, you've got to be exaggerating. Isn't it FF?

Edited by Kavvz

• 1 year later...

Dear VVTI, I think still you are owning the PUNTO. I also think of changing over to PUNTO or DEMIO from my wife's PASSO. Could you please tell me the after sales service from the PUNTO agent and the pros and cons of the car. Also whether the gear shifting to be done manually with out clutch or it changes automatically. Is it worth to pay 2.5 million for Y.O.M. 2006?

Yep, we still do. So far no issues. Have done the service with Wheels Lanka all this time as still under warranty.

No complaints. Nothing has been replaced yet apart from the oil and filters. Almost 10000kms now.

The gear shifting can be done both ways. Keep it in AUTO and the car changes gear itself, or you can switch to manual and then its like a normal manual, with the exception being when the car slows down it automatically down shifts, even when in Manual. Also, it will not change gears if the chosen gear and the vehicle speed is not ideal. But then you get used to it.

No complaints at all. Lovely to live with.

thanks bro. Gear shifting is same as my FD1 It seems. How about finding body parts in case of an accident? Has agent got all the stuff?

Agent claims to be fully equipped. I have not gone and checked out their inventory. But I suppose they would have all the commonly replaced body parts in hand.