• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Our New Baby, Fiat Grande Punto

VVTi

Last week we brought home our new baby. Considering the crazy market prices for mundane, second hand, 10 year old cars, this was IMHO was a better deal.

Just took it for a Colombo-Galle- Colombo trip and couldn't have been happier with the choice... though we were discouraged a lot by the usual 'Jap Experts'...:)

Excellent road holding, steering response and feel is amazing... almost tempted to pull of a few crazy vettus! Alas my fun was cut short by a White Striped PoPo... ;) Now I have to drive again on Monday to pay a fine... :)

But it was worth it.

Believe it or not, the fuel consumption figures were far superior to any Jap car I have ever seen.... see the pics for yourselves.

Not bad for a 1.4 ltr 8V engine..... :))

28052010054.jpg

img0470he.jpg

img0473ps.jpg

img0467kn.jpg

Great Choice, the full option one is great with great features.

How much did it cost you? and btw did it do 23 km/l ? :blink:

Thanks, and yes, this has all the gizmos thrown in... But then they all do. This was on the road 38.50.

Yes... what you see is correct. I went with a full tank and pumped 12 liters back to fill up... have done a total of 267Kms.

But then I took it easy, never above 70-80.

Edited by VVTi
  • Like 1

The EPS & T/T box must make it fun in town :)

Yes it does... its an actual manual box with a solenoid actuated clutch... so kick down is just like in a manual. You can shift while the foot is planted. Loads of fun!

Nice machine all in all. I envy you for that staggering 23.1 and manual box with having a slave down there to press the clutch for you.

The CRD engines of the same model are pumping out 38/l figures apparently. Imagine that.

Yes the slave is very helpful. There is a slight lag while the engine tries to match the wheel speed. but that is only a second or two.

The CRD engines of the same model are pumping out 38/l figures apparently. Imagine that.

Yes the slave is very helpful. There is a slight lag while the engine tries to match the wheel speed. but that is only a second or two.

thats quite a lot, and might make a prius ashamed of. Seen a red D plate in piliyandala belongs to a lecturer in a leading uni. Must be a crd. What's the special design behind this coz 406 hdi known as uk's one of best mpg cars only throws out around 20km/l being common rail again. Also i think the figure is calculated and not the one throws out from the trip computer. ;) have seen my boss's fortuner(v6, 2.7l petrol) does 31 km/l as per the trip computer.

I agree with that .....I dont think this can give your 23 per litre......looks like something wrong with the trip computer...or calculating basis is something else.I am not trying to be rude..........but just going by the logic.But overall i think this was a good choice.We would like to see some pics of the outside as well

Edited by rameez

I agree with that .....I dont think this can give your 23 per litre......looks like something wrong with the trip computer...or calculating basis is something else.

wrong, i'm not saying it's impossible. Needed more info on the technology and design. Also wanted to make sure his calculations entirely not based on trip computer.

wrong, i'm not saying it's impossible. Needed more info on the technology and design. Also wanted to make sure his calculations entirely not based on trip computer.

Actually if i'm not mistaken the kmpl figure thats shown is a instantaneous figure. At the current speed/throttle/fuel-burn-rate you're getting 23kmpl. When you try to overtake someone and step on it, you'll get a lesser figure (since you're sending in more gas for the combustion). And when you ease off the throttle to slow down or going downhill the figure will increase even more since relatively less petrol is needed to maintain that speed. And as it seems' VVTI's photo is while on the move, so at that speed, he'll be getting 23kmpl. This isnt the same as the traditional overall 'kmpl' that we calculate (distance covered)/(refill)....

Yes it does... its an actual manual box with a solenoid actuated clutch... so kick down is just like in a manual. You can shift while the foot is planted. Loads of fun!

Hi,

I am not aware of this technology can anyone give me more details.

Thanks

Hi,

I am not aware of this technology can anyone give me more details.

Thanks

this is not new and afaik was there in citroen ds as well. It's nothing but activating the clutch electronically or using hydraulics when needed. Chinese car lifan too has this semi automatic box with auto clutch. Remember old c90 and chally bikes? They too had this but mechanical. Please do google a bit more for elaborated diagrams.

Actually if i'm not mistaken the kmpl figure thats shown is a instantaneous figure. At the current speed/throttle/fuel-burn-rate you're getting 23kmpl. When you try to overtake someone and step on it, you'll get a lesser figure (since you're sending in more gas for the combustion). And when you ease off the throttle to slow down or going downhill the figure will increase even more since relatively less petrol is needed to maintain that speed. And as it seems' VVTI's photo is while on the move, so at that speed, he'll be getting 23kmpl. This isnt the same as the traditional overall 'kmpl' that we calculate (distance covered)/(refill)....

You are correct.It gave figures of 39 also, however I filled the tank to the brim before we left and filled her up again when we returned home from the gas station close to home. The tank only took in around 12ltrs. Overall trip distance was around 270 Kms. But there wwas no traffic or any hard drioving... damn cops. Who managed to take my license ANYAWAY saying I crossed the white line in Beruwala. Sigh!

Maybe it has something to do with only 8 Valves and a very light car.. sub 1000Kgs. But I do have a very very light foot as well.

Or Maybe it was just the initial self calibration of the thing... maybe it will settle off after a few thousand Kms.

Damn... this is becoming one of those dreaded Fuel Consumption threads!

Edited by VVTi

he did say that he topped up 12l for a 267km ride. now that is impressive

Wow that is VERY impressive, considering that in SL you can't really maintain a constant speed for a long time. And the Car looks very slick. Nicely done VVTi. Congrats on the new addition.

:grinning-smiley-003:

Wow that is VERY impressive, considering that in SL you can't really maintain a constant speed for a long time. And the Car looks very slick. Nicely done VVTi. Congrats on the new addition.

:grinning-smiley-003:

Thanks machang... its the Wifeys.... we were looking for a car for a while. She wanted a SUV... i discouraged her.. Went looking for a GOLF.... that was too steep. I kept seeing the FIATS on Park Road many times and I thought..hmmmm. lets go and see... she loved it from the time she sat inside and boom...

Constant speeds can be maintained depending on where and when you drive...we drove to Galle early morning on Vesak day... so hardly anyone on the roads. But not for long though.

But over all thrilled with the choice... so far... :)