• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Silencer & Fuel Economy

Uditha88

Hi All,

How does the condition of a silencer affect the fuel economy of a vehicle. The affect of

damaged or not matching silencers ?

A car engine is usually designed to work with a certain amount of back pressure from the silencer. Damage to the silencer (leaks) will cause the exhaust gas to leak out which reduces this back pressure to the engine. The engine will need the right amount of pressure down the exhaust so too little or too much will cause the engine to run inefficiently.

Performance exhaust work by reducing the back pressure on the engine making it easier for the engine to 'push out' the exhaust gases this also increases the exhaust gas velocity thereby increasing the heat transfer away from the engine bay. This makes the intake manifold temperautures lower thereby increasing the density of air pulled into the engine (more oxygen = better efficiency). Note that a performance exhaust will give you a little more power because of the reduced back pressure but this will come at the cost of slightly higher fuel consumption.

MalithS

hey uditha88...I have noticed you opening a lot of threads of how fuel consumption is affected by throttle body,silencer etc etc...have you succeeded in increasing your fuel efficiency through these various queries mate? :)

hey uditha88...I have noticed you opening a lot of threads of how fuel consumption is affected by throttle body,silencer etc etc...have you succeeded in increasing your fuel efficiency through these various queries mate? :)

Hey Master....

I'm mastering "Fuel Economy & consumption" ;-)

Engine Tune-Up: Altra Sonic Injector cleaning n Throttle Body cleaning showed "1 km additional" economy. Still experiments going on.

Pls be patient n KIT.

Thnx for the valuable question n appreciate ur awareness abt forum topics......

Hey Master....

Engine Tune-Up: Altra Sonic Injector cleaning n Throttle Body cleaning showed "1 km additional" economy. Still experiments going on.

Pls be patient n KIT.

Well it certainly sounds like your enjoying yourself experimenting mate.... thats great :)

if i may ask, whats your current consumption figure like? You must have a LOT of patience to be able to experiment and experiment to try and squeeze every single KM/L out of that vehicle. personally id rather have my prostate extracted with a fork than go to all that trouble, but i guess you seem to be enjoying it so more power to you!

Edited by Supra_Natural

Hey Master....

Pls be patient n KIT.

Sir,

I tried STP injector cleaner in my vehicle it is very good and gave me good results.

As I have lot of other things added to my Engine to get more Kms for a liter I get 2kms in Colombo and 4to6 Kms out of Colombo.

Depending on driving out of Colombo if I drive on 5th gear I get more KMs for a Liter. Colombo I cannot use 5th Gear.

Wijesinghe.

Hey Master....

Pls be patient n KIT.

ok dude...if it helps you in any way :)

you might also want to look in to weight saving and aerodynamic efficiency rather than solely concentrating on the mechanical side...for example even your own body weight impacts fuel economy substantially,the lighter you are the better...so you and your fellow passengers ought to join a gym ASAP if you wanna do this properly ...i'm not kidding!

id rather have my prostate extracted with a fork

:lol: :lol: :lol:

that made me LOL...literally!

Edited by MasterDon

Soon, his fuel tank will overflow... :)

ok dude...if it helps you in any way :)

you might also want to look in to weight saving and aerodynamic efficiency rather than solely concentrating on the mechanical side...for example even your own body weight impacts fuel economy substantially,the lighter you are the better...so you and your fellow passengers ought to join a gym ASAP if you wanna do this properly ...i'm not kidding!

Ya. U r not kidding!

Well it certainly sounds like your enjoying yourself experimenting mate.... thats great :)

personally id rather have my prostate extracted with a fork than go to all that trouble, but i guess you seem to be enjoying it so more power to you!

Literature

Thnxx !

Sir,

I tried STP injector cleaner in my vehicle it is very good and gave me good results.

As I have lot of other things added to my Engine to get more Kms for a liter I get 2kms in Colombo and 4to6 Kms out of Colombo.

Depending on driving out of Colombo if I drive on 5th gear I get more KMs for a Liter. Colombo I cannot use 5th Gear.

Wijesinghe.

Hi Wijesinghe...........

Can u pls tell me how to use this STP injector cleaner.

Is it just mixing with the fuel.if so the measurements...

kind regards .....

prasa

Ya dude. Even 0.5 KM improvement valuable for me. Bcos I'm one of the poorest

in Sri Lanka. <_<

Along with the mechanical solutions you've tried, have you considered changing your driving habits as well? Just a suggestion.

Ya dude. Even 0.5 KM improvement valuable for me. Bcos I'm one of the poorest

in Sri Lanka. <_<

aw c'mon dude!...dont play the poor card this early...that is a very old ploy used by forum trolls when they are cornered...you are better than this.

anyway have you seen the top gear episode where jeremy clarkson drives an audi a8 to scotland and back on one tank of fue... ,if you havent, download and watch the full episode cos it has some great tips on weight saving and driving habits you''l find useful...infact Ithink it's the only episode of top gear you'll enjoy :)

aw c'mon dude!...dont play the poor card this early...that is a very old ploy used by forum trolls when they are cornered...you are better than this.

anyway have you seen the top gear episode where jeremy clarkson drives an audi a8 to scotland and back on one tank of fue... ,if you havent, download and watch the full episode cos it has some great tips on weight saving and driving habits you''l find useful...infact Ithink it's the only episode of top gear you'll enjoy :)

What about the episode where they drove from Switzerland to the UK on one tank of fuel in each car. Cant remember which series it was.

Ok found it

Series 12 episode 4

http://www.topgear.com/uk/tv-show/series-12/episode-4

Edited by maliths

Hi Wijesinghe...........

Can u pls tell me how to use this STP injector cleaner.

Is it just mixing with the fuel.if so the measurements...

kind regards .....

prasa

Mr. Prasa,

I topped up the fuel tank full and added one bottle I think it is 150 ML Any petrol station will have I paid 450.00 Rs. for STP.

Wijesinghe.

Mr. Prasa,

I topped up the fuel tank full and added one bottle I think it is 150 ML Any petrol station will have I paid 450.00 Rs. for STP.

Wijesinghe.

Thnks Mr Wijesinhe....................................................