• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Need Help

tharindu6

hey guys need your expertise on this. My car is a 1991 Carina AT170 with M/T.. for the past 3 weeks car was parked on the garage. I did start the motor once in a while. but didn't move her.. now when I checked today I found out that I'm unable to change gears.. what could be the reason ?

This only happens when the motor is running, i can change the gears when motor is switched off. and there is no visible oil leak.

few possible things

1- clutch plate has stuck to the pressure plate over time. And maybe some water or whatever leaked in and expedited a slight rusting effect. a quick hard jolt just might fix it. but un-properly done can mess it up. get someone who's done it before to do it...

2-hydraulic leak. Does the pedal do to the bottom without any resistance? (and maybe not come back up)... in this case its probably a leak along the line...

Can anyone think of any other possibilities?

few possible things

1- clutch plate has stuck to the pressure plate over time. And maybe some water or whatever leaked in and expedited a slight rusting effect. a quick hard jolt just might fix it. but un-properly done can mess it up. get someone who's done it before to do it...

2-hydraulic leak. Does the pedal do to the bottom without any resistance? (and maybe not come back up)... in this case its probably a leak along the line...

Can anyone think of any other possibilities?

Dilesh- thanks for the quick reply ... Dont think there is a leak because the clutch oil reservoir still maintains the same oil level

Dilesh- thanks for the quick reply ... Dont think there is a leak because the clutch oil reservoir still maintains the same oil level

If the oil isnt leaking and the clutch pedal is working it might be what Dilesh said - the clutch plate being stuck to the flywheel.

You could try this:

put the car in 4th or 5th gear then with the cluth pedal fully depressed turn the ingition (not too long) to start the engine hopefully the jolt might release the clutch from the flywheel. Be very careful when doing this and make sure there isnt anything in front of the car incase it starts to move.

If the oil isnt leaking and the clutch pedal is working it might be what Dilesh said - the clutch plate being stuck to the flywheel.

You could try this:

put the car in 4th or 5th gear then with the cluth pedal fully depressed turn the ingition (not too long) to start the engine hopefully the jolt might release the clutch from the flywheel. Be very careful when doing this and make sure there isnt anything in front of the car incase it starts to move.

tried it this morning.. but still the problem is there :(

hey guys need your expertise on this. My car is a 1991 Carina AT170 with M/T.. for the past 3 weeks car was parked on the garage. I did start the motor once in a while. but didn't move her.. now when I checked today I found out that I'm unable to change gears.. what could be the reason ?

This only happens when the motor is running, i can change the gears when motor is switched off. and there is no visible oil leak.

Tharidu - sorry bro - cant really understand the question. Now correct me if i'm wrong - you want to start the car - TO MOVE - it out of the garage - and preferably take it to a garage right? [good idea since it was in one place for 3 weeks]

what exactly do you mean by '"change gears"? - does it mean for example 'cant change' from 1st to 2nd etc, etc. --If yes - then does it means the car moves on any of the gears engaged -[but cant change to any other gear]?

Or are you trying to tell us that - once the car is started - cant engage ANY gear?

Is it possible to put the car in gear to 01st or 02 nd [bEFORE starting] - and after its in gear - to start the car - and move it to desired location?

Sorry for not been helpful - but the best bet it to even tow it and show - first-hand - to a good mechanic.

Edited by mirage7777

Sorry for not been helpful - but the best bet it to even tow it and show - first-hand - to a good mechanic.

Dude, towing the car when its stuck in gear is a the worst idea ever!!!!

Did you try cranking up the engine while pressing down on the clutch?

Dude, towing the car when its stuck in gear is a the worst idea ever!!!!

Who said anything about towing a car in gear - lol - did you see 'first hand' as 'first gear' or something??

towing was - if everything failed :action-smiley-060: [in neutral - to tow it to a garage :)]

Edited by mirage7777

Who said anything about towing a car in gear - lol - did you see 'first hand' as 'first gear' or something??

towing was - if everything failed :action-smiley-060: [in neutral - to tow it to a garage :)]

how about we use a flat bed just to be safe? :lol:

Tharidu - sorry bro - cant really understand the question. Now correct me if i'm wrong - you want to start the car - TO MOVE - it out of the garage - and preferably take it to a garage right? [good idea since it was in one place for 3 weeks]

what exactly do you mean by '"change gears"? - does it mean for example 'cant change' from 1st to 2nd etc, etc. --If yes - then does it means the car moves on any of the gears engaged -[but cant change to any other gear]?

Or are you trying to tell us that - once the car is started - cant engage ANY gear?

Is it possible to put the car in gear to 01st or 02 nd [bEFORE starting] - and after its in gear - to start the car - and move it to desired location?

mirage7777 thanks for the reply mate !

What do I mean by '"change gears"?

yes once car is started cant engage ANY gear ...when the engine is switched off I can press the clutch and put to any gear.

Yes can start the engine if the gear is in " Neutral " position

NO cant start the engine if I put to a gear and press the clutch fully down

yes once car is started cant engage ANY gear ...when the engine is switched off I can press the clutch and put to any gear.

wow - really looks like -there is no way out - i'm sure even the 'experts' too will be stumped here :( - Lets wait and see.

When you state "NO cant start the engine if I put to a gear and press the clutch fully down" - what happens when you turn the key - with the gear engaged & clutch fully down ?-- does the car lurch forward - as though the gear is engaged without the clutch pressed?

Well - tharindu - it could be a simple issue - as nothing drastic wd have happened to your car - after-all it was sitting in the garage for 03 weeks. Wish you the best mate! let us know what happens. Best is to show a mechanic - who'll have a first hand look & inspection of the car.

try this:

before starting put the car onto the 4h or 5th gear.. step on the clutch and start the engine it wont start running but WILL crank up... if the plates are stuck together it should release it. try make sure there's enough open space in front of you just in case.

As you CAN shift your car into Neutral when the engine is off, why not do that and get it towed to the nearest mechanic OR give the bugger a good tip and drive him over to your house after he finishes his shift?

Note: Before towing OR winching the car up onto a flat bed, check if your car IS actually in neutral by having someone give it a shove after you shift to ensure it'll roll forward with minimal resistance.

I hate when shit happens... I hope as someone had mentioned, its just something simple.

Edited by Kavvz

i still feel this is something other than stuck clutch plate. Clutch pedal might return to the original position even if washers of either master or slave clutch cylinders have failed coz it has a loaded spring to return the pedal. Get someone to check whether the clutch fork is moving when you're pressing and releasing the clutch pedal.

Edited by harshansenadhir

wow - really looks like -there is no way out - i'm sure even the 'experts' too will be stumped here :( - Lets wait and see.

When you state "NO cant start the engine if I put to a gear and press the clutch fully down" - what happens when you turn the key - with the gear engaged & clutch fully down ?-- does the car lurch forward - as though the gear is engaged without the clutch pressed?

Mirage yes mate the car lurch forward with the gear engaged and clutch fully down

try this:

before starting put the car onto the 4h or 5th gear.. step on the clutch and start the engine it wont start running but WILL crank up... if the plates are stuck together it should release it. try make sure there's enough open space in front of you just in case.

Machan I tried this but it was not successful .. :(

As you CAN shift your car into Neutral when the engine is off, why not do that and get it towed to the nearest mechanic OR give the bugger a good tip and drive him over to your house after he finishes his shift?

Note: Before towing OR winching the car up onto a flat bed, check if your car IS actually in neutral by having someone give it a shove after you shift to ensure it'll roll forward with minimal resistance.

I hate when shit happens... I hope as someone had mentioned, its just something simple.

Machan I cant tow it out from my house because of the way my garage is situated..+ the road which leads to my house was closed for the past 3-4 week as they are making it ( cuz of this only I'm having all these issues with my car )

I also don't like it when shit happens especially these days as my wedding is around the corner :(

I will try to fetch a garage dude to check it out

Anyways will keep u guys posted about the developments as it might help some one down the line

Anyways will keep u guys posted about the developments as it might help some one down the line

Best bet to get a mechanic home. Also keep us posted - as we too can learn from your experience.

Also WISH YOU & YOUR WIFE [TO BE] --ALL THE VERY BEST - On Your Upcoming Wedding!!

Machan I cant tow it out from my house because of the way my garage is situated..+ the road which leads to my house was closed for the past 3-4 week as they are making it ( cuz of this only I'm having all these issues with my car )

I also don't like it when shit happens especially these days as my wedding is around the corner :(

Hey man. So sorry. Hope everything works out. Best is to get mech to have a look.

Best bet to get a mechanic home. Also keep us posted - as we too can learn from your experience.

Also WISH YOU & YOUR WIFE [TO BE] --ALL THE VERY BEST - On Your Upcoming Wedding!!

Thanks Bro !

Mr. Tharindu,

I have send you Email please check your Yahoo account in case if you have not sorted out your problem

Wijesinghe

Mr. Tharindu,

I have send you Email please check your Yahoo account in case if you have not sorted out your problem

Wijesinghe