• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Cvt, Automatic Or Manual Transmission?

kalana

Autos are safe for people who can't drive manuals properly me thinks :P

so many people love auto boxes when they can't figure out things like "clutch balance" etc :P

and about concentrating on gear changes...if you drive a manual long enough and can yourself a good driver....changing gears comes automatically :P

you don't have to think about gear changes...it just happens...

+1 ripper, just what the ladies can't do :P

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when i was checking cars, i saw some cars with "automanual" transmission.is this the automated manual ??? (i guess it is)

and what abt cost,durability,repairs in sri lanka ?

Edited by royalkalana

when i was checking cars, i was some cars with "automanual" transmission.is this the automated manual ??? (i guess it is)

and what abt cost,durability,repairs in sri lanka ?

i think they may have been refering to triptronic. if the undelying gear box is a traditional automatic or CVT then i think tripronic is superfluous.

i do not think they are as hardy as manual transmission. you can be quite unforgiving for a manual box and still get away with it. but it is not the same with any auto box. auto boxes have not yet been perfected for longevity.

Autos are safe for people who can't drive manuals properly me thinks :P

so many people love auto boxes when they can't figure out things like "clutch balance" etc :P

and about concentrating on gear changes...if you drive a manual long enough and can yourself a good driver....changing gears comes automatically :P

you don't have to think about gear changes...it just happens...

lots of +1s...

Couldnt have said it better myself...

If you are not concerned about MPG and wear of break pads then Auto is the way to go .

I used manuals for the first 10 years in my driving life ,Then I bought a auto Civic which has made my life lot easier .

You don't need to worry about clutch plus Honda automatic box is very reliable when you compare them to some other models .

Driving an auto does not make you less of a man it just makes your life easy

If you are not concerned about MPG and wear of break pads then Auto is the way to go .

I used manuals for the first 10 years in my driving life ,Then I bought a auto Civic which has made my life lot easier .

You don't need to worry about clutch plus Honda automatic box is very reliable when you compare them to some other models .

:alc:

yeah, it makes life easy if you're driving only for the purpose, say going from point A to B. But if you're enjoying the driving pleasure and love driving to the extent of you will find a reason to drive, like me ;) then manual is the way to enjoy and have full control of the wheels, power, grip and handling.

yeah, it makes life easy if you're driving only for the purpose, say going from point A to B. But if you're enjoying the driving pleasure and love driving to the extent of you will find a reason to drive, like me ;) then manual is the way to enjoy and have full control of the wheels, power, grip and handling.

hell yeah :D

was out in the hills over the weekend... the manual truly shines and gives you great driving pleasure...even on a very old car with not many ponies under the hood.

If making your day to day drive "easy" is your biggest concern...i'd say getting a driver to do the driving for you is the best bet :P

makes life a lot easy in traffic when you dont want to be getting in and out of gears manually and just chill out in the back seat and listen to some good music. :D

Well Said... :angry-smiley-048:

Little suggestion:

"wear of break pads"

Put automatic to 2nd or 1st or Low when going down a deep slop....

Little suggestion:

"wear of break pads"

Put automatic to 2nd or 1st or Low when going down a deep slop....

if you imagine doing that will get you down a steep hill without using brakes, all i can say is: Happy landings!

Edited by Supra_Natural

means you can negotiate a down hill on 2 or 1/L of automatic even without using brakes like you do in a manual ?

Hi Harshana

No , i guess he means putting minimum load on the brake since the less speed in 2 or 1/L gear positions.

i also heard that method from a experienced driver , since i don't use auto i don't have any experience

thanks

Regards

sumith

It is like playing paint ball. You know you can get hit but you know you will not die. To feel the real war you need to face the real gun. To feel the real power and to get control of it manual box is what you needed. End of the day .. it's still man plays the paint ball. :violent-smiley-030:

I think auto boys have taken this slightly the wrong way..

i don't think the manual fans are saying driving autos are less manly or anything to the effect...

just that for driving pleasure...to date...manual seems to be the best :)

The bottom line is

If you are driving for pleasure then manual is the way to go ,

But if you have past that phase of your life and fed up with driving in SL roads with other drivers who drive like maniacs ( think they are better than F1 champion when they have a noisy exhaust and a body kit :D) + all the traffic , auto is the way to go .

Edited by AL998

Hi Harshana

No , i guess he means putting minimum load on the brake since the less speed in 2 or 1/L gear positions.

i also heard that method from a experienced driver , since i don't use auto i don't have any experience

thanks

Regards

sumith

Could be mate, what I'm trying to illustrate is the main difference when you're negotiating a down hill on an auto on 2 or 1/L and the same on 2nd gear of a manual box. Where in Auto engine brake concept doesn't apply at all, as you said it's only limiting the speed.

I think auto boys have taken this slightly the wrong way..

i don't think the manual fans are saying driving autos are less manly or anything to the effect...

just that for driving pleasure...to date...manual seems to be the best :)

yeah, I made it very clear in one of posts that it depends on the personal flavour/taste/preference.. just that another avenue of experience/driving pleasure is open for you when driving a manual.

Silly Misunderstanding... Cannot expect from a one who ever driven a vehicle.. sorry...

Err, what?

Just FYI, if you meant to say that you can chuck an Automatic into 2, 1 or "low" and coast downhill with minimum use of the brakes like you can if you put a Manual into 1st or 2nd, You're sadly mistaken....

How do I know this? Because I tried it... You still need the brakes, Less than if you were in D, but definitely more than you would in a Manual.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Y u no discuss this further???

Very interesting topic...

I myself have decided to opt an automatic because I have never driven one (long term)... I guess driving will be more fun and enjoyable and safe.,

Edited by Bracket

I myself have decided to opt an automatic because I have never driven one (long term)... I guess driving will be more fun and enjoyable and safe.,

Whether you would "enjoy" an auto or a CVT over a manual is matter of personal taste. I enjoyed motoring most when I was driving manuals but not owned one since year 2000. I missed the days of heel and toe down shifting since then. But I am sure you will find your choice enjoyable.

I picked an Auto in 2012 because autos make up 99.9% of private vehicles over here. I would've had a time selling it if I bought a manual. While I don't miss the middle pedal in stop-and-go traffic, the more fun stuff does leave you longing for it. Which is why I insisted on a manual for my project :)

But autos or CVTs can handle the daily grind pretty darn well and I'm sure you will have loads of fun with your new car.

Edited by Hoonigan