• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Car Service

CK2

Question

hi,

I want to know what is the exact procedure of servicing a car?

what are the oils i should change?(Engine,gear, power steering, etc.. )

what are the parts i should replace?(If any)

Should i change the Coolant?

Is it safe the Cleaning engine bay?

:unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Please give your valuable advices

thanks..

8 answers to this question

hi,

thanks..

If you don't know, you should probably not be trying to service the car yourself ?!?

Unless you are really knowledgeable on the subject (which you appear not to be, and to be honest, neither am I) you should restrict yourself to checking/topping up tyre pressure, battery water, engine oil, wiper liquid, and coolant. Instructions for these will be in the manual (except if you got a recon then you either don't have the manual or it's in Japanese)

Other stuff (brake oil, ATF, power steering, and various filters) you are better off getting done by professionals.

hi,

thanks..

usual procedure of servicing the car is wash under carriage, remove engine oil, top up gear box oil/remove and fill gear box oil, remove tires and clean hubs/brake drums(if any), grease pack if any part is suppose to (hub bearings, ball joints, steering rack(non power assisted) newer vehicles are equipped less or non grease nipples ), apply thin coat of a protection oil on under carriage, replace oil filter and then wash engine bay, refill engine oil and wash body, clean interior. This may vary depending on the vehicle, esp washing engine bay, under carriage and applying oil on under carriage may not suitable for a newer vehicle.

You suppose to change engine oil, change oil filter, top up or change gear box oil depending on the mileage, clean or change air cleaner depending on the mileage or condition, top up or replace differential oil if it's a rear wheel drive vehicle or 4wd vehicle, top up brake fluid and batterry water.

More importantly don't let them to use the atf changer if yours is an auto, coz there were many cases reported of gear box failures due to fricton plates not engaging properly.

hi,

thanks..

What ever you do ,don't clean the engine bay with high pressure water ,If you really wan't to clean then use some WD-40 or equivalent and do it by hand .

What ever you do ,don't clean the engine bay with high pressure water ,If you really wan't to clean then use some WD-40 or equivalent and do it by hand .

Why would you use wd40 to clean an engine bay? the whole point of cleaning it is to degrease the engine bay.

Why would you use wd40 to clean an engine bay? the whole point of cleaning it is to degrease the engine bay.

No need to degrease the engine bay , Aim should be to keep water away . High pressure water can bring harm to the electrical components . I think this must have been discussed this before

So if someone really wants to clean the engine bay then best thing is to use a WD40 like 'Water displacement'. It will make sure to keep water away from electrical connectors . Hence no rust or oxidisation

No need to degrease the engine bay , Aim should be to keep water away . High pressure water can bring harm to the electrical components . I think this must have been discussed this before

So if someone really wants to clean the engine bay then best thing is to use a WD40 like 'Water displacement'. It will make sure to keep water away from electrical connectors . Hence no rust or oxidisation

yes, repurcusions of washing engine bay of vehicles equipped with newer electronics were discussed alot and the same has been severely discouraged. Mechanical fuel injected diesels and carb model petrols can be washed with coil, distributor closed properly.

usual procedure of servicing the car is wash under carriage, remove engine oil, top up gear box oil/remove and fill gear box oil, remove tires and clean hubs/brake drums(if any), grease pack if any part is suppose to (hub bearings, ball joints, steering rack(non power assisted) newer vehicles are equipped less or non grease nipples ), apply thin coat of a protection oil on under carriage, replace oil filter and then wash engine bay, refill engine oil and wash body, clean interior. This may vary depending on the vehicle, esp washing engine bay, under carriage and applying oil on under carriage may not suitable for a newer vehicle.

You suppose to change engine oil, change oil filter, top up or change gear box oil depending on the mileage, clean or change air cleaner depending on the mileage or condition, top up or replace differential oil if it's a rear wheel drive vehicle or 4wd vehicle, top up brake fluid and batterry water.

More importantly don't let them to use the atf changer if yours is an auto, coz there were many cases reported of gear box failures due to fricton plates not engaging properly.

Hi buddy,

What is the best place for a service for my petrol 110 around Piliyandala area?

Thanks in advance...

hi,

unsure.gifunsure.gifunsure.gif

thanks..

I always follow the user manual. Its the best document for me. User manual says 'when u should do' and 'what you should use' (from engine oil to coolant to window washer).

Since we are using the car in SL roads (rough and dirty) i choose time in between 'normal driving' and 'severe driving' section.(Eg if changing Air Filter is normal - 20,000kms and severe 10,000kms; i change air filter in 15,000kms)

I think following the user manual is the best no matter who advice you and service, and also need to use common sense (Eg if you see ur air filter is full of dirt at 10,000 kms you better change it):D

Edited by kmeeg