• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

New Headlight Law Xenon / Hid Lights??

MkX

Hi All,

- What is the best place for HID Conversions..? Need to fix a genuine one, not the once which glare on other drivers.. :)

- My electrical guy said all most all HID kits cannot be focused properly, and the result is you get the light every where.. So it'll be worse than your normal lights where useable light is lesser than normal properly focused ones. And he also said that HID's are much worse in rainy days.. Any ideas abt this friends..??

Cheers..

K.

hi friend

if you are installing HID kit to a no projectors housing the major issue is the headlight reflectors are designed to reflect Hallogen light and do a very poor job and tend to 'scatter' the beam of a HID bulbs. It dosen't focus the beam very well and your light output is not a nice focused beam to avoid this Headlight Modification is needed

hid light source three times the output of standard halogen lighting

i thinks HID's improved peripheral vision and enhanced down-the-road visibility, especially in bad weather

well i converted my normal halogens for HID 6000's from ebay on the astina. and belive me they were great.. especially since the car was so low and the halogen xenon's wasnt doing the job..

so i would not take much into what your guy has said about the HID;s....

Yup, it depends on the headlight housing...

Anybody want to form a Autolanka faded drivers licence card owners club and get it replaced together...hate doing these things alone,let me know if you guys are going.

I'm in.

And on the after market HID front, if possible just adjust your lights so that the low beams are on par with regular halogen low beams. If you've got a pair of bi-xenons, you'll never get the full use of high beams because the beam deflection is too little (the low beam shroud still gets in the way). If you do adjust them high enough for the high beam to be effective, then your low beams are going to be straight in the face of oncoming traffic and there will be several Maruti's acting all kamikaze like.

I experimented over several weeks on the optimum beam height for my CR27, I rarely get flashed at, and the instances when I do I'm sure its more because the driver looks straight into my lights since they're of a different colour (4300K) and he blinds himself, than not.

Yeah, I'll try too, depending on the date. Couple of cops have already complained about mine. But those guys are checking for drunks so they can't really be bothered with me, its not worth the hassle for them. Can't pull a bribe for the license situ :)

righto!...as I am not a office guy I can pretty much come at anytime you are going...just let me know a couple of days before hand. :)

• 1 year later...

So apparently the HID headlight restriction has finally come into play. Any victims? On a side note, I'm glad I didn't upgrade the car to HID.

Edited by terrabytetango

So apparently the HID headlight restriction has finally come into play. Any victims? On a side note, I'm glad I didn't upgrade the car to HID.

So how does this new law work? do they fine only those HIDs with 8000K and above? cuz some cars come with factory fitted HID which are usually 4300K

anyone have more info on this?

wonder if its only for HID's or whether auxiliary driving lights too come into play here.

99% of the time i drive on low beams. But have a pair of large driving lights for emergencies mounted on the bumper at the same height as the heads.

Wonder if coppers will go after that too now :(

wonder if its only for HID's or whether auxiliary driving lights too come into play here.

99% of the time i drive on low beams. But have a pair of large driving lights for emergencies mounted on the bumper at the same height as the heads.

I guess cops do make a scene if you have any extra lights above the bumper

Since you own an off roader just tell them you use them strictly for off roading only.

You should be fine as long as you don't use them in the urban areas. Since your car is an off roader they'll understand you use them only when off roading. I think the law mainly applies to vehicles with headlight (primary lamp) HID conversions as opposed to factory fitted HIDs. In particular they will most likely be inspecting if the vehicle has an H4 HID I think, since no (brand name) OEM makes such a bulb.

Since you own an off roader just tell them you use them strictly for off roading only.

You should be fine as long as you don't use them in the urban areas. Since your car is an off roader they'll understand you use them only when off roading. I think the law mainly applies to vehicles with headlight (primary lamp) HID conversions as opposed to factory fitted HIDs. In particular they will most likely be inspecting if the vehicle has an H4 HID I think, since no (brand name) OEM makes such a bulb.

I think you are giving the cops way too much credit for possessing functioning brains. We had a set of empty holder mounted on the roof of our cab, no bulbs in them, wires not connected to anything, and the fronts covered, but the moron still wanted us to remove it and come and show them.

Wasn't there any rule or request to keep them covered in urban areas or main roads?

It's only for aftermarket installations.

lol i dont think our cops are smart enough to differentiate between factory fitted HIDs and aftermarket ones. i guess they'll be stopping every vehicle that doesnt have halogen lamps :speechless-smiley-004: :speechless-smiley-004:

I guess cops do make a scene if you have any extra lights above the bumper

Wasn't there any rule or request to keep them covered in urban areas or main roads?

Have been running with 9.5inch dia hella driving lights for well over an year without a problem.

It's mounted on the bumper almost at the same level as the heads. Lenses are not covered.

But i rarely use them cos the low beam 90w stock halogens get the job done for me 99% of the time.

The driving lights come in handy only when a moron comes with his head beams on or when i'm out of town when extra lighting is needed and there are no other oncoming vehicles to blind.

So far, i've never been pulled up for the lights.

Thanks mate.

And from what i could dig up on the web...this seems to be only for HID converts.

Looks like some choka HID converted guy blinded some big wig! :)

Maybe its for the best anyways... it was just a matter of time untill three wheeler guys figured out this HID thing. THose dual lighted 3wheelers already have prettty powerful heads. Imagine those running HID's?

Thanks mate.

And from what i could dig up on the web...this seems to be only for HID converts.

Maybe its for the best anyways... it was just a matter of time untill three wheeler guys figured out this HID thing. THose dual lighted 3wheelers already have prettty powerful heads. Imagine those running HID's?

I thought those 3wheel lights don't have proper alignments. Kinda high for the vehicle.

• Like 1

Thanks mate.

I have seen a Pulsar type indian bikes already using HIDs, from the way the bugger was frantically flashing me when I switched on the high beams at him.

The three wheelers use a 35w system which really can't accommodate a 35W HID system, because the burst current on ignition would probably melt some things and vaporize others.

afaik, untill u cover the fogs when not in use its not a issue.

and actually copping 8000k ++ HID is actually useless, since the lower K emits more light.

im sure our pol buruwo's will just cop Blueish lights thinking its "High Power"

• Like 1

and actually copping 8000k ++ HID is actually useless, since the lower K emits more light.

im sure our pol buruwo's will just cop Blueish lights thinking its "High Power"

Yeah but thats just the amount of reflected light, which is due to the increased scattering of the bluer light. The glare (which is what bothers people) is actually proportionate to the amount of scattering of light so higher temperatures will actually be worse.

• Like 1

I think you are giving the cops way too much credit for possessing functioning brains. We had a set of empty holder mounted on the roof of our cab, no bulbs in them, wires not connected to anything, and the fronts covered, but the moron still wanted us to remove it and come and show them.

Depends on the cops time of month.

Yeah but thats just the amount of reflected light, which is due to the increased scattering of the bluer light. The glare (which is what bothers people) is actually proportionate to the amount of scattering of light so higher temperatures will actually be worse.

i see, i have 8000k for my heads and its crystal, but since there is a big cover like thing for the bulb and i used 35w, insstead of 55w the glare is very less. compared to alto's and so on.

Depends on the cops time of month.

lol true, i was traveling in a friends hilux. and it had big aftermarket hella fogs. we got copped and they just said "next time put a cover on it"