• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Quick Trivia 3

Watchman

Achini's son is my close friend. so i know the history well. i guess i should have been more specific. Dr. K. owned a Rolls royce. i just confirmed, it was a white silver ghost, or so his grandson thinks. sadly he isn't a petrolhead. but hanging out with me is rubbing off a little. :)

Achini's son is my close friend. so i know the history well. i guess i should have been more specific. Dr. K. owned a Rolls royce. i just confirmed, it was a white silver ghost, or so his grandson thinks. sadly he isn't a petrolhead. but hanging out with me is rubbing off a little. :)

WOW!! That's interesting!

Unfortunately though all the accused got off due to a big blunder by the prosecution.!

Well since the floor is open

PDTs8vY.jpg

An old family member of ours. cant be hard :)

1973 Toyota Corona.

the car that's more aerodynamic going backwards

austin allegro?

lol! Correct! Ok..waiting for the next one! :)

Was that the case the "dadayama" ( the hunt) film was based on?
Yes! That's the one, though the film featured a red Ford Capri = 7 sri 7077. Wonder who owns it!!

Yes, Komi you are correct.

"Dadayam" based on Jayalal Anandagoda & Adeline Witharana story. In real life Jayalal Anandagoda was a teacher at one of the schools at Kalutara South.

The car (7 sri 7077) used for the "Dadayama" film was belonged to a friend of my father (Mr.Nimal, Kalutara North) at that time. This car was very familiar to me those days as sometimes he parked this car under our car porch. (we were neighbors too) It was a red colour sporty looking car . Nimal uncle did all the marketing work of "Dadayama" film. He made advertising boards with replica of the car , which front of the car coming out through the board. He used clay to make the car replica . Also, "Dadayama" logo appeared on both sides of the car, exactly between rear windscreen and rear side window.

If you guys haven't watch this film, please watch at least the part that Swarna Mallawaarchchi comes in front of the car while high speed driving by Ravindra Randeniya and breaks the front windscreen by hitting a rod.

No stunts, no 3D editing, great driving by Ravindra Randeniya and great timing by Swarna Mallawaarchchi.

Dadayama-1313_3.jpg

z_p15-Learn-03.jpg

Not only make up , Ravindra Randeniya gets his own real blood on his face after windscreen broken.

Don't know about the present owner of the car. It was a lovely car. :smilie_liebe9:

I was just 6 years old at that time (1983) and always worried about the broken windscreen. :sport-smiley-004:

Edited by Sampath Gunasekera

Yes, Komi you are correct.

"Dadayam" based on Jayalal Anandagoda & Adeline Witharana story. In real life Jayalal Anandagoda was a teacher at one of the schools at Kalutara South.

The car (7 sri 7077) used for the "Dadayama" film was belonged to a friend of my father (Mr.Nimal, Kalutara North) at that time. This car was very familiar to me those days as sometimes he parked this car under our car porch. (we were neighbors too) It was a red colour sporty looking car . Nimal uncle did all the marketing work of "Dadayama" film. He made advertising boards with replica of the car , which front of the car coming out through the board. He used clay to make the car replica . Also, "Dadayama" logo appeared on both sides of the car, exactly between rear windscreen and rear side window.

If you guys haven't watch this film, please watch at least the part that Swarna Mallawaarchchi comes in front of the car while high speed driving by Ravindra Randeniya and breaks the front windscreen by hitting a rod.

No stunts, no 3D editing, great driving by Ravindra Randeniya and great timing by Swarna Mallawaarchchi.

Dadayama-1313_3.jpg

z_p15-Learn-03.jpg

Not only make up , Ravindra Randeniya gets his own real blood on his face after windscreen broken.

Don't know about the present owner of the car. It was a lovely car. :smilie_liebe9:

I was just 6 years old at that time (1983) and always worried about the broken windscreen. :sport-smiley-004:

I'd be worried about damaging a Capri too!

You are absolutely correct!! It's a 1939 Armstrong SIddeley. ( you didn't do a google image search did you??? ;) )

This is the model that featured in the Colombo Turf Club Robbery ( Haara Lakse Mankollaya) in 1950. John Silva the innocent driver of the car paid with his life and had a slow and agonising death when he was asphyxiated by the robbers using a WWII gas mask in a thicket by the side of the Puttalam Anuradhapura road. This was before the Wilpattu Murder.

There was one car which I have seen on an estate upcountry owned by a planter. Wonder what came of it as I saw it around 78-79 and learnt about the story too, fascinated me even then though I was about 9 years!!!

BTW

The Kularatne murder did not involve a car (though the doc may have had one) In that case Dr.Kularatne's mother together with the cook woman poisoned Dr.Kularatne's wife with the blesssings of the doc who was having a fling with a nurse at his nursing home in the Galle Fort. The murder was carried out by giving arsenic mixed into a pickle (achcharu). The prime witness for the prosecution was the doctor's small daughter Achini. Interestingly the Counsel for the defence in both cases ( Turf Club Robbery and Kularatne) was the late Dr.Colvin.R.De Silva.

Well just dug this pic up from the Classic car search page on FB, apparently this was the car involved, and the wife's body was carried in the boot as well

!

66369416.jpg
Edited by Supra_Natural

Well just dug this pic up from the Classic car search page on FB, apparently this was the car involved, and the wife's body was carried in the boot as well

!

66369416.jpg

he had a rolls too. i had a picture somewhere but can't find it now. supra you met Dr Kula's grandson when you came over to my place that day...

slightly OT here, but just wanted to share this with you guys. here's Dr. Damon Kularatne with his 1956 Austin Princess, outside his house in galle fort. this is what i mistook for a roller. i think he had one too. but his daughter has no recollection of a desoto custom.

picturemrw.jpg

Edited by Komisiripala

slightly OT here, but just wanted to share this with you guys. here's Dr. Damon Kularatne with his 1956 Austin Princess, outside his house in galle fort. this is what i mistook for a roller. i think he had one too. but his daughter has no recollection of a desoto custom.

picturemrw.jpg

That definitely not a Roller, you can see that it doesn't have the Rolls grille... I'm trying to figure out what it is... Maybe an Armstrong Siddenely or a Daimler of some sort.

Edited by Supra_Natural

That definitely not a Roller, you can see that it doesn't have the Rolls grille... I'm trying to figure out what it is... Maybe an Armstrong Siddenely or a Daimler of some sort.

That is indeed an ausin princess