• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Quick Trivia 3

Watchman

On 4/7/2024 at 8:49 AM, iRage said:

ewly acquired French plant of an American car manufacturer. As a result, it was sold under both manufacturers' names. 

This is the biggest clue. Simca took over Ford Europe's factory and started making the Vedette which was also marketed as a Ford.

On 4/9/2024 at 11:16 AM, Gummybr said:

SIM games should have CAr racing as well as VEDETTE piloting games.

Simca Vedette it is ! One turned up at last month's Classis Car Run...freshly restored (with a little bit of touching up needed)

Over to you !

16 minutes ago, iRage said:

Simca Vedette it is ! One turned up at last month's Classis Car Run...freshly restored (with a little bit of touching up needed)

Over to you !

This will hopefully be interesting. Coming from a state owned manufacturer who used to build vehicles for other brands in their country. The previous vehicles used to be copies of other brand vehicles which they used to manufacture with very long names (letters followed by numbers), I was fortunate enough to drive two of those in Sri Lanka (a petrol double cab and a Diesel Single Cab) of which one is still being used by a leading manufacturer agent as their parts vehicle. Later on I think around 4-5 years ago Sri Lanka Police got a fleet of vehicles from this manufacturer as a grant maybe?

Triv01.jpg

21 minutes ago, Gummybr said:

This will hopefully be interesting. Coming from a state owned manufacturer who used to build vehicles for other brands in their country. The previous vehicles used to be copies of other brand vehicles which they used to manufacture with very long names (letters followed by numbers), I was fortunate enough to drive two of those in Sri Lanka (a petrol double cab and a Diesel Single Cab) of which one is still being used by a leading manufacturer agent as their parts vehicle. Later on I think around 4-5 years ago Sri Lanka Police got a fleet of vehicles from this manufacturer as a grant maybe?

Triv01.jpg

The State owned manufacturer would be BAIC. 

the car in your pic would be a BAIC X55 ? 

image.thumb.png.0aa43eabb9c616d6e33412cdefc5beac.png

Correct. They made vehicles under the Beijing name back in the day (Beijing Benz, Beijing Jeep etc) I have driven the Beijing Jeep double cab (running a Toyota Petrol engine) which had an old Jeep face and a Single Cab (running an Isuzu diesel engine) typical communist jeep face. Sri Lanka Police got a fleet of Beijing Jeep Humvee look a likes recently through the Government of China.

This current one is infact a Petrol version assembled in Sri Lanka by David Peiris.

18 hours ago, sathyajithj99 said:

Mitsubishi L200 (Triton)

visually very similar but the small clue is in the mirrors. 

image.png.538ae79ca70951f5053513e5a85834a1.png Triton Mirror

image.png.435c815f52eb6452698102c37c9ed301.png our suspects mirror.

I will add another clue - the marque is not quite famous for pickup trucks and this particular models' chassis is based on another very common pickup truck. 

At first I was convinced that it was a Merc X-class. Although the mirror seems to be the same shape I am not entirely sure if the blinker on the mirror is that shape. So not entirely sure now.

8 hours ago, matroska said:

visually very similar but the small clue is in the mirrors. 

image.png.538ae79ca70951f5053513e5a85834a1.png Triton Mirror

image.png.435c815f52eb6452698102c37c9ed301.png our suspects mirror.

I will add another clue - the marque is not quite famous for pickup trucks and this particular models' chassis is based on another very common pickup truck. 

20 minutes ago, iRage said:

At first I was convinced that it was a Merc X-class. Although the mirror seems to be the same shape I am not entirely sure if the blinker on the mirror is that shape. So not entirely sure now.

I think iRage is correct. Some models seems to have the blinkers of that shape

18c0414_017.jpg

Ok then here you go, I was following one yesterday on my way home the guy was driving a bit odd as he used to accelerate suddenly and slow down to a crawl at times (sometime too careful) only when I overtook it I saw that it was an undertaker.

Triv001.jpg

1 hour ago, Gummybr said:

Ok then here you go, I was following one yesterday on my way home the guy was driving a bit odd as he used to accelerate suddenly and slow down to a crawl at times (sometime too careful) only when I overtook it I saw that it was an undertaker.

Triv001.jpg

I was going to go with a brand that has a LEGACY in the rallying circuit. But I realize it's not the same. Next guess is deduct 40 from the number of the beast and you have the model? 

Maybe he was driving slow cos he was a bit nervous? What if you are driving a hearse and suddenly someone taps your shoulder and says 'malli drop me off here thank you' ? 

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, matroska said:

I was going to go with a brand that has a LEGACY in the rallying circuit. But I realize it's not the same. Next guess is deduct 40 from the number of the beast and you have the model? 

Maybe he was driving slow cos he was a bit nervous? What if you are driving a hearse and suddenly someone taps your shoulder and says 'malli drop me off here thank you' ? 

Your second guess would be correct. Mazda Capella / 626 it is.

Quoting Count Blockula from Vavulwatte it would have been "malli suck ekak dennada?" (And its not a bad thing) 

• Haha 4

18 hours ago, matroska said:

ok then have a go at this 

image.png.bc8335bbcd5474176838da3ac0ca9f7b.png

The model was to be a prelude of things to come with advanced features like being the first Honda car to come with a sunroof. It also heralded the start of a dealership line that was to cater to more youthful minded people (Honda Verno) where the model remained the flagship model until the introduction of the NSX.

The badge name is rumored to have been first registered by Toyota and that they gave it to Honda amicably. Neither manufacturer has confirmed nor denied this and evidence is rather scarce.

Oh yeah...second generation zenki.

2 hours ago, iRage said:

The model was to be a prelude of things to come with advanced features like being the first Honda car to come with a sunroof. It also heralded the start of a dealership line that was to cater to more youthful minded people (Honda Verno) where the model remained the flagship model until the introduction of the NSX.

The badge name is rumored to have been first registered by Toyota and that they gave it to Honda amicably. Neither manufacturer has confirmed nor denied this and evidence is rather scarce.

Oh yeah...second generation zenki.

Did one of our forums members own one?

19 hours ago, Gummybr said:

Did one of our forums members own one?

Feels like it right ? We did talk about a dark red/maroon one and then a blackish/greyish one. Not sure if someone owned it or we were just talking about it.

So here goes...the one in SL is white. It is from one of our colonizing countries with an engine from the Far East. It is suggested that this car was designed with the market trends of the country from which the engine came from.

image.png.f9907f8748d2548c0c39fa128f6ccece.png

1 hour ago, iRage said:

Feels like it right ? We did talk about a dark red/maroon one and then a blackish/greyish one. Not sure if someone owned it or we were just talking about it.

I vaguely remember someone having one.

1 hour ago, iRage said:

So here goes...the one in SL is white. It is from one of our colonizing countries with an engine from the Far East. It is suggested that this car was designed with the market trends of the country from which the engine came from.

image.png.f9907f8748d2548c0c39fa128f6ccece.png

Market trends from the country of engine? I thought this was built as an outright track machine from the 1950s and later made into a road car which you could buy in KIT form? Superlight weight, small engine, goes very well around the corners. There was a time they built one with two Yamaha R1(?) engines mated together with over 500hp as a limited production (or was it a concept only?)

19 hours ago, Gummybr said:

Market trends from the country of engine? I thought this was built as an outright track machine from the 1950s and later made into a road car which you could buy in KIT form? Superlight weight, small engine, goes very well around the corners. There was a time they built one with two Yamaha R1(?) engines mated together with over 500hp as a limited production (or was it a concept only?)

Got one aspect right but way off with the rest :)
Stay on the same line of thought...think of different models

43 minutes ago, iRage said:

Got one aspect right but way off with the rest :)
Stay on the same line of thought...think of different models

I will leave the answer here. From one of our threads.