• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

New Drag Strip To Sri Lanka

devilchild

oh ok then,

but last time i saw street racing in sri lanka there were more than 15 cars , i thought if this was to do properly there will be more cars involved and people will happy to come and race ,,,,,,,,,,,

Thats once a week. And most of those chaps use the cars as daily drivers too, I doubt they can put in the time to run everyday even if there was a legal track. You'll need to set up some kinda event, maybe a championship series, maybe setup some sponsorships.

Still a skeptic, just explaining something.

Members,

When auto detailing first started in 1988 By Mr. RR owner of CP now KP every one was discouraging him but to day how many had followed his footsteps, as he was in Japan he knew the potential of the detailing requirement for new cars in Srilanka.

Let this person do the drag strip I find members are giving him support with all necessary requirements to be a success in Srilanka

When I started my service in 1992 all discouraged me some of my close friends said what is the reason you closed your fathers business and the knowledge what you have in industry in which I was, even one government institution questioned me when I first advertised about my business how I got the funds to start a new service.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

so are there any drag strips in those places?

do they actualy give u a timing sliip with your highest speed, 1/4 mile time and your reaction time ?

i thought those places were tracks not a drag strip :rolleyes:

Those r all race tracks.....about an hour distance from colombo....

Experts,

Please tell me the differences between a race track and a drag strip?

Thanks in advance.

'Luckey'

I hope you have seen motor racing in Srilanka motor race tracks also because this motor racing having a long history in Ceylon and now Srilanka.If you want to know go to this site about Drag strip.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragstrip

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

mmmm..............................................:unsure:

Well, surely, you need to have a pro-scene. That will be how you can take things up.

I mean, even if you get the nuts who think mommy's civic and daddy's corolla are drag cars and show up to race, cars that aren't stressed for it will break down and be absent from the strip for periods of time. Unlike dedicated race cars which will be able to take the abuse and have a proper crew looking after them.

Maybe talk to A*W and Unimo. There has to be some race fans higher up at Unimo, they do go thru the effort to get DDs race cars. And its fairly obvious that Yohan at A*W is a fan of speed too :)

Members,

When auto detailing first started in 1988 By Mr. RR owner of CP now KP every one was discouraging him but to day how many had followed his footsteps, as he was in Japan he knew the potential of the detailing requirement for new cars in Srilanka.

Let this person do the drag strip I find members are giving him support with all necessary requirements to be a success in Srilanka

When I started my service in 1992 all discouraged me some of my close friends said what is the reason you closed your fathers business and the knowledge what you have in industry in which I was, even one government institution questioned me when I first advertised about my business how I got the funds to start a new service.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

We're not discouraging anyone.But one has to be realistic.The guy expects 100+ cars to show up every weekend,anybody who has been on a trackday or to watch races knows that it is not a possibility.Maybe in a few years IF the sport gets popular but not under current conditions.

• Like 3

Experts,

Please tell me the differences between a race track and a drag strip?

Thanks in advance.

A dragstrip is a one straight (like a Air port Runway) most commonly an eighth or a quarter mile long, with an additional shutdown area to allow vehicles time to stop after crossing the finish line. Drag strips are used to test vehicles acceleration, drivers handling speed etc..

Race tracks are circular kind of tracks (ie: F1 Circuit) allowing races to occur over several laps.

We're not discouraging anyone.But one has to be realistic.The guy expects 100+ cars to show up every weekend,anybody who has been on a trackday or to watch races knows that it is not a possibility.Maybe in a few years IF the sport gets popular but not under current conditions.

'MasterDon',

Yes I agree with your post, do not know what will happen on the next Budget if duty is increased like few years back again imports will reduce. What you say is true racing depends new young people getting interested and popular.

Like good old days we had full crowd at Ktukurunda track although there were few events.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

'MasterDon',

Yes I agree with your post, do not know what will happen on the next Budget if duty is increased like few years back again imports will reduce. What you say is true racing depends new young people getting interested and popular.

Like good old days we had full crowd at Ktukurunda track although there were few events.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Sylvi, werent you patting the OP on the back and asking him to go ahead with the project, though now you're agreeing with MD that its not feasible. Are you practicing speaking two tongues to run for elections. ;)

Its not just the 'good old days' even right now you get a fairly large crowd at Katu races.

• 4 weeks later...

Its been a while and there's no sight/news from the OP nor his container-load of drag racing track equipment.

Looks like we experienced the biggest fart of the month there :D

hi there,

sorry not posting any thing recently i was v.bc with my work and building my mate's race car for the FLAME AND THUNDER SHOW IN november (santa pod)

any way currently im in sri lanka,came here on the 3rd and was spending some time with my family mean time trying to find the correct land, as all of u guy's mentioned to me earlyer posts this is the biggest issue, but i have seen couple and not that happy so trying to find the correct land, i have advertised on last sunday news papers about the land and have got many replys so im going through many of them ,

with the drag racing equipments i think guy's are bit misunderstand with what i mentioned on the previous posts, i have got lot of equipments including brand new christmas tree and etc, which is in my container, but it's still in uk, im waiting to finalised every thing here b4 i import them ,

have contacted the B.O.I , BUT IT looks like it's better to not to go with the b.o.i, as they think the invesment is not enough to get all the benifits from b.o.i, so long term it's better to go AS A PRIVETE business,

trying to get in touch with some polticians as well

im trying my best to make this happen

if any one out there happy to help me out u can contact me on 0775101682 this my s/l number, pls send a text if the phone is off,i'll get in touch with u,,,,,

thanx

Gihan j

Members,

I Telephoned to Mr. Gihan J just now on to his mobile, at the moment he is at Benthota holiday resort with his family.

He has got lot of offers for the drag strip around Colombo.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Edited by Sylvi

• 3 months later...