• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota Prius Gear Knob

sampath_fer

There is an insurance we should pay when shipping things. Isn't it? (not the ordinary insurance that we do annually.)I think we cannot ship more expensive things like vehicles without an insurance.  Is it valid only on the air or on the sea? or am I wrong?

oh! this is very simple thing. i import sample 100pcs of Automatic Soap dispensers. all my shipment stolen from the harbor. now almost one year. i could not recover from the insurance because port guys protect there people. they not giving me report about my goods. so you are lucky because you have the car :D

Members,

I do imports. I insure my vehicles and goods till my where-house, small shipments like air freight to my door step.

Vehicles with Total or partial damage, Washing over board, Windshield and other glasses damage, parts missing till to my where-house.

Please note premium is high, only few Insurance companies accept this type of Insurance, due to miss use by the importers.

You have to inform as soon the vehicle arrives to port all damages and losses. To local Insurance agent, if any claims. Then will send their agent to port immediately and appraise the vehicle photograph all damages including losses.

when the vehicle arrive at final destination after clearing, if there is any damage or loss they will pay. that too has to be informed as early.

I have to be patient till they send all photographs and their comments to their parent company. All those things will take time, will be two months or so.

In my import carrier for last 36 years of motor vehicles few thousand vehicles I have made only about ten claims at the port 1 claim after arriving at my where-house.

Air freight to one leading company in handling air freight that was few promotional caps which was robbed by the Currier service staff who handle the goods in Srilanka air freight section at the airport.

My complain was entertained and investigations were held by that company found few employees of their air freight division was responsible for theft of those caps and relevant officers were discontinued from their service.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

oh! this is very simple thing. i import sample 100pcs of Automatic Soap dispensers. all my shipment stolen from the harbor. now almost one year. i could not recover from the insurance because port guys protect there people. they not giving me report about my goods. so you are lucky because you have the car :D

'Nilantha',

First of all Samples cannot be 100 numbers as for your post (100pcs). It is the duty of insurance company to investigate into the matter, if it is lost in the harbor, they can complain to police then they will take action. Your insurance company is not strong enough and if you had mentioned on the invoice samples 100 numbers is also questionable, that may be one reason insurance company is not taking interest on your matter.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

When you buy the vehicle in Japan you pay a CIF (cost insurance freight).. Hence, any damage until you take delivery is insured under that. This includes the worst case of the ship sinking with your car, to minor cases such a lost gear knob. But you should report/declare this BEFORE you drive it out of the harbour through the local agent for the insurance.

Our vitara's Head unit had been stolen too while at the habour. According to the manifest it should have been there. Insurance paid up for it.

Insurance was after registration and the theft occurred at the port before that, I presume. You can get a knob off ebay for cheap ('knob off' heehee - sorry no more). 50k for a mirror??? wow, thats steep.

Probably bought a original off the dealer instead of hitting up a 3rd party importer or looking for a used one. Should have posted on AL for a list of alternative retailers...

mostly SL insurance companies covers only the above said worst case(ship sinking with the vehicle/total loss- its very very rare to happen)..they dont give cover for the bits and pieces missing..they exclude the C clause even the shipment term is CIF..correct if i'm wrong

mostly SL insurance companies covers only the above said worst case(ship sinking with the vehicle/total loss- its very very rare to happen)..they dont give cover for the bits and pieces missing..they exclude the C clause even the shipment term is CIF..correct if i'm wrong

I dont mean to knit-pick but the C means "cost", which is the car itself!! kinda hard to exclude that, dont you think :P

And its not local insurance companies that its insured under, mostly done at the seller's end with more global insurance companies that specialize in this kinda thing.

i didnt mean C in CIF ..there are cargo clauses in marine insurance A, B, C...if a vehicle comes under A clause even for a small scratch the insurance company has to pay the loss..which the clause mostly/always excluded when a person trying to import a used/recondition vehicle(but a for a brand new ..A clause will apply)..to import used vehicle our insurance companies 99.99% gives C clause

and sorry i said in my earlier post that the insurance companies EXCLUDE the C clause in marine insurance ..(wrong info, insurance companies are more comfortable when they are giving C clause for a vehicle coz it covers only the total loss )