• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Lancer @ 100Kmph

trinity

Hi Guys..

Last Friday had the opportunity to use the high way.. Nice experience..

Here comes the issue..

When the speed is at 100kmph, i felt the car is vibrating at an unusual rate.. So to hell with the vibration, i increased the speed up to 120 and the vibration faded at this level. So i realized that the whole vibration shit happens just after 95kmph up to 100-110 kmph..

The car was loaded with all three passengers.. Driven on 5th gear at 3000rpm

Car description

Lancer CS1 - Year 2001, 1.3cc carb.

Condition of the car,

Rack ends - New

Front shocks - New

Tie rods - New

Engine mount(s) - New (Replaced a one when replacing Shocks)

Lower arm bushes - That is also new baby...

Tyres - Maxis & Yokohama having about 30,000kms on the clock

Regular service is done on the dot..

Wheel alignment done about 6000kms ago (So its due...)

So here is whats is bothering me..

I've driven this over and at 100kmph enough times to know that this vibrating thingy is a new to the car..note that this is not a steering wheel vibration.. the whole car is shaking like a bloody fish out of the water.. i'm taking care of this baby like a child and i cant understand why this is happening now :speechless-smiley-019: . One of my friends told me to do a wheel balancing.. This is something which i have not done before..

Machos,,i feel like taking the car to the agents to do a checkup. But heard that these people rip the funk out of you to do even a minor job.. have no money these days,,,

Appeal...

1.What could be the issue??

2.Should i go to the Agents??

Would be pleased to have your valuable thoughts before i do anything about this,,,

Thank you all for your valuable time and kind support...

Cheers!

When the speed is at 100kmph, i felt the car is vibrating at an unusual rate.. So to hell with the vibration, i increased the speed up to 120 and the vibration faded at this level. So i realized that the whole vibration shit happens just after 95kmph up to 100-110 kmph..

The car was loaded with all three passengers.. Driven on 5th gear at 3000rpm

Its great to know that you & your friends have a willing to die attitude just so that you can take your car really fast. Most people with common sense would slow down if something like that happened, but here's thinking that you guys are immortal. You've said 'to hell with the vibration' & then you ask people for their opinion?

• Like 8

Did you do wheel alignment after changing the rack ends? Did you fix new alloys?

If you haven't done wheel alignment after replacing rack ends, get it done. And if you fixed alloys get the wheels balanced. Also it might be a tire with broken belts :)

Hi machan

Yes i did the wheel alignment after the racked replacement.. No.. i did not fix any new alloy wheels..car is having the original rims.. regarding the tire with broken belts, from the outside all four looking as they should.. rear left tyre (which used to be the front left tyre) is bit worn out from the outside.. (due to a bad wheel alignment)..could it be the issue??? i dont know.....

Thanks buddy,,,,

Wheel balancing. I fitted a new set of front tires prior to taking a trip down south, and I too experienced a massive vibration when attempting to accelerate from 100km/h (maintaining 100 was fine). Had 5 people + trunk full of luggage. Went on the highway after balancing, was able to accelerate from 100 to 130 without any drama. The reason why the vibration disappeared at 120 for you is because the wheels match vibrations with the other moving components at ~ 100, so below and above those speeds there are no vibrations.

Edited by terrabytetango

It could also be because one of the wheel weights have fallen off. Check all wheels to see if they are there and in the right quantity.

Hi machan...

This i suppose that i have to check from a place where they do wheel balancing & alignments rite??? So another vote for wheel balancing.. :) counting 3,,, pls correct me if im wrong...

Many thanks.,...

Its great to know that you & your friends have a willing to die attitude just so that you can take your car really fast. Most people with common sense would slow down if something like that happened, but here's thinking that you guys are immortal. You've said 'to hell with the vibration' & then you ask people for their opinion?

Hi Gyiman

Sorry if i have offended you in any way.. i understand what you are saying and realized that i was being a kid.. Maybe my inner child got over my common sense at that time..

Anyway thank you for caring,, really appreciate it,,,

Best regards..

Wheel balancing. I fitted a new set of front tires prior to taking a trip down south, and I too experienced a massive vibration when attempting to accelerate from 100km/h (maintaining 100 was fine). Had 5 people + trunk full of luggage. Went on the highway after balancing, was able to accelerate from 100 to 130 without any drama. The reason why the vibration disappeared at 120 for you is because the wheels match vibrations with the other moving components at ~ 100, so below and above those speeds there are no vibrations.

Hi machan...

Thanks for sharing your experience...really appreciate it..

So wheel balancing counting 4....

Best regards

.. i'm taking care of this baby like a child and i cant understand why this is happening now :speechless-smiley-019: .

Cheers!

The problem is you are taking care of a baby like a child.... take care of a baby like a baby.

My bet is also on the wheel balancing, the reason you did not feel a steering vibration maybe due to the rear wheels being totally out of balance.

The problem is you are taking care of a baby like a child.... take care of a baby like a baby.

My bet is also on the wheel balancing, the reason you did not feel a steering vibration maybe due to the rear wheels being totally out of balance.

hi hi,,, i'll do that from now on... thanks for the advice...

Best regards

Hi friends...

As you all suggested, I will do the wheel balancing this weekend... Unfortunately i will not get any time to do it during the week days.. also the car is not used when im not at home,,, so, i'm hoping to do the wheel balancing on this Saturday..I will keep you guys posted of the outcome no sooner i get it done...

Thank you all for your time and valuable thoughts...really appreciate it..

Cheers!

mate, you car just wobbles making you all shake right?

i had the same issue when going between 90-110 km/h, its the wheel balancing, tell the mechanic when your doing your alignment, mharagama Car care people fixed mine, they diagnosis is pretty god, ..

Nadun,

Hi Trinity,

This could be because of a couple of reasons, (wheel alignment and balancing, worn shocks or struts, bent rims, worn engine mounts etc.) but your description is quite clear and I also would like to vote for unbalanced wheels.

But since you say that the car got smoother as you increased the speed, I'd have the engine/gearbox mounts checked as well. Because it could be mechanical resonance (vibration transmitted from the engine to the vehicle chassis at a particular frequency) that led your car to vibrate at a certain speed. Just a thought, better check it out if balancing doesn't solve the issue.

Good luck! :)

Hi All

Update....

Went to the wheel balancing place today,..,, they said that vibration is due to a uneven tire pressures and to a tubeless patch in the side wall of the front tire (pic attached)... Since the wheel alignment is due, they did it and pumped air in to all four tires @ 30psi..afterwards did a test run up to 120kmph. The car was lot smoother than before but not 100% ok... So until i go for a new tire set im gonna have to live with it. But thats ok since the speeding is a seldom thing...

So what i could figure out was there were 3 main reasons for the vibration

1. Tyre pressure

2. Wheel Alignment

3. And the stupid patch...

I have not mentioned about the patch in my original post (i might've thought it is irrelevant at that time.. stupid me..). As per the tire pressure, Seems that i have to check it more frequently than before..

Davy and Nadun,., sorry i couldn't reply to your posts.. Was having a busy week and could not logged in,,

Thank you all for your kind advises and support...

Cheers !

P.S. last Monday came from Galle to Dodangoda on Highway. Kept @ 80kmph & 2000RPM. Trip started from Matara.

With all 3 passengers and A/C on. Petrol consumption was 17.10. (There was minimum traffic from Matara to Galle so i managed to drive at an even phase through out the trip)

Thought to share and to tell that E01 is a real time & money saver if used properly...

Edited by trinity

On the topic of patches…..(Bit off)

Try to avoid the patch they do by inserting that rubber/ whatever they call it type you have in the pic. Best is to go for a heated patch – most repair shops don’t like to do it as it’s cumber sum & takes a long time.

One tyre seller advised me on the same as they plug method uses a sharp pin kin of instrument to make a hole in the tyre to insert the plug – this tends to damage the threads inside the rubber or “Kammbi” best known.

On the topic of patches…..(Bit off)

Try to avoid the patch they do by inserting that rubber/ whatever they call it type you have in the pic. Best is to go for a heated patch – most repair shops don’t like to do it as it’s cumber sum & takes a long time.

One tyre seller advised me on the same as they plug method uses a sharp pin kin of instrument to make a hole in the tyre to insert the plug – this tends to damage the threads inside the rubber or “Kammbi” best known.

Hi Mazdaspeed

One of my friends also told me that there's a method to put a patch from the inside of the tire.. I'm not sure is it the same method that you are suggesting. As you said, i've seen that they pierce the tire from some sharp pointy tool and insert the rubber patch thingy.. so its possible that it does some damage to the tyre. So have to be bit specific when dealing with these situations in future...

And i heard that Toyota Prius or Honda Insight comes with some mechanism where you can repair a tyre puncture on site and move on, thus eliminating the requirement of the spare wheel.. Never had the time to search about it.. but feels like its a good option to have if possible..