• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

2012-12-21 World End...what Do U Think Guys ???

osanda19

Do YOU realize that wikipedia now has a pretty decent system of checks and balances thanks to the wiki community?

False information doesn't last very long... especially if it's an article that is read a lot.

I dont think you fully grasped what my statement meant.

And no you dont need the Wiki community for rolling back changes, the system automatically rolls back if the edit cannot be verified by a credible source published elsewhere. (not and tested, not in a harmful manner btw)

Editing an already existing article was not my point, my point was that anyone with a dumb idea and a computer could put up a new article in that site i.e the world ends in 2012 and equally retarded morons will add up to it.

please refer above by Supra :)

PS: And also YT, FB and any other social media site. WWW is the graveyard for myths, fables, politicians and Gods (and mayan calendars)

Well AFAIK no Organization/University or Professional body accepts Wikipedia as a viable source of information.

BTW what you mentioned on post no 20 is probably the most religiously offensive statement i have come across in Autolanka. You may not believe in supernatural things but certain people might and you have no right to mock other peoples beliefs just as other people haven't mocked your beliefs in Astrology and what not.

Peri i hope you will do something about this :angry-smiley-005:

• Like 2

I dunno about others, But I try not to get offended by people who goes on rants about religion. It is my firm beleif that religion is a man made control mechanism to keep people in check. Also if there is a God up there, last thing he or she or it needs is human protection... :) Look at what we are doing to the world... if anything God needs prortection from us. We commit all kinds of horros in his name. Between the stealing, corruption, and buggering small children, all religion has lost its lustre as far as I am concerend. We will be better off without our false Gods.

Bill Maher for World President!!!

• Like 3

I don't think you fully grasped what my statement meant.

BTW what you mentioned on post no 20 is probably the most religiously offensive statement i have come across in Autolanka. You may not believe in supernatural things but certain people might and you have no right to mock other peoples beliefs just as other people haven't mocked your beliefs in Astrology and what not.

Stig',

Very good comment, about the post. I too agree to that. It is offensive to some people who believe in their religion psychology.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

I dunno about others, But I try not to get offended by people who goes on rants about religion. It is my firm beleif that religion is a man made control mechanism to keep people in check. Also if there is a God up there, last thing he or she or it needs is human protection... :) Look at what we are doing to the world... if anything God needs prortection from us. We commit all kinds of horros in his name. Between the stealing, corruption, and buggering small children, all religion has lost its lustre as far as I am concerend. We will be better off without our false Gods.

'VVTi',

Above is your opinion.

As I all ways say opinions differ.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

IMHO, mankind is f**d up enough in their heads without the extra burden of the releigious zealots adding more fuel to the fire. The world will be a better place if religion takes a back seat in all human affairs.

• Like 2

I'm surprised no one brought up the Y2K fiasco. And on another related note, my dad's birthday is on 12/21. I wonder if I should budget for a gift this year, or use the funds for frivolous spending...

The Y2K fiasco! Ha ha ha ha ha ha! That was one of the funniest doomsday non-events... :)

I was waiting for planes to crash, power to go out and for us to go back to the dark ages, MadMax style!

I knew people who actually took all their money from the banks and kept them at home thinking their davings will be wiped out.

Guys... The end of the world is going to happen and that's 100% sure, however it may not be in 2012.

Just think about it keeping all our religious beliefs aside for a moment. First every living thing in this planet is dependent on the Sun, from plants to animals and the whole eco system. We all know that the sun is a gigantic ball of fire, which has been burning for millions of years. But we all know that this flame cannot last till eternity and someday it will die off. Just like a car out of fuel it will stop firing. After this happens the Sun will be a dead star, just like many others out there in the universe.

What Liya had mentioned is true, religion has been distorted by the people who wrote the bible and the Quran, and people have been systematically brainwashed to believe in something which is not logical. My best part is the 7 Virgins waiting for me in Haven.

• Like 1

Look mate, if someone goes around claiming he is descended from the heavens (and in this case that the world I live in would be ended in in 12 months) its well within my right to question it

Anyway, for a person mighty enough to create a world in 7 days wouldn't need Uncle Peri's protection right?

But yes, i agree autolanka is not a forum for this kind of topic, so this shall be my last post in this tread. Apologies if anyone is offended, but don't expect everyone to blindly accept these fairy tales and superstitions. As i said before, WWW is the graveyard of Gods and Politicians. Both will be dissected to bits and put under microscope. And I for one welcome freedom of thought. The day we stop questioning ourselves, that will be the end of humanity and will end up perhaps no better than the monkeys.

Ok, The End :)

Edited by liya
  • Like 2

I thought about it, but he has taken care to insult everyone, not just one set of beliefs, so I think it's an attack on religion as a whole, not any religious belief in particular.

Anyway, thats my opinion, if you still feel there should be some censorship, you can talk to Madz for the override.

• Like 1

We all know that the sun is a gigantic ball of fire, which has been burning for millions of years. But we all know that this flame cannot last till eternity and someday it will die off. Just like a car out of fuel it will stop firing. After this happens the Sun will be a dead star, just like many others out there in the universe.

Oh damn.... the sun that kept burning for millions billions of years is gonna run out of gas one fine day and we are all gonna wake up as zombies :)

FYI... the sun does not 'burn'. It goes through nuclear fusion where hydrogen atoms become helium and releases massive amounts of energy in the process. And if I remember properly, the sun can go on for another few billion years like this and thereafter, it will go through a process of a slow death, which will probably last another billion or two years.

Edited by Crosswind

Oh damn.... the sun that kept burning for millions of years is gonna run out of gas one fine day and we are all gonna wake up as zombies :)

FYI... the sun does not 'burn'. It goes through nuclear fusion where hydrogen atoms become helium and releases massive amounts of energy in the process. And if I remember properly, the sun can go on for another few billion years like this and thereafter, it will go through a process of a slow death, which will probably last another billion or two years.

Actuall B4 got it right the first time, the sun is 'burning' its fuel as we speak. Eventually it will be done using up her Hydrogen fuel, lose mass, expand in to a red giant, eat in to the the inner planets orbits, destroy all life on earth, (provided it is still there by that time) and collapse back in to a white dwarf.

Wiki, man, Wiki!!!

• Like 1

I dont think you fully grasped what my statement meant.

And no you dont need the Wiki community for rolling back changes, the system automatically rolls back if the edit cannot be verified by a credible source published elsewhere. (not and tested, not in a harmful manner btw)

Editing an already existing article was not my point, my point was that anyone with a dumb idea and a computer could put up a new article in that site i.e the world ends in 2012 and equally retarded morons will add up to it.

Look sonny, you seem to have some trouble with basic comprehension. Have you actually looked up the Wiki articles related to this 2012 nonsense? Well if you have you'll realize that it approaches the idea with the correct degree of scientific skepticism and concludes pretty comprehensively that the whole thing is bulls**t.

So in this instance, wiki is actually a reliable enough source because the article has plenty of citations and verifications.

Well AFAIK no Organization/University or Professional body accepts Wikipedia as a viable source of information.

That's his opinion isn't it? AFAIK Autolanka is a free website... He didnt directly insult any particular religion so there is no cause to get worked up about it... Religion doesn't really belong on a car website anyway...

You really shouldn't get so steamed up mate, not good for the blood pressure.

• Like 1

You want to read a good book on the end of the world.... read a book called The Killing Star. Pure fiction but with some nasty twists... :)

Sri Lanka is mentioned.

Just downloaded it in PDF, couldn't find it in the Kindle store.

Edit: spoke too soon, the link was a red herring.

Edited by terrabytetango

Just downloaded it in PDF, couldn't find it in the Kindle store.

Edit: spoke too soon, the link was a red herring.

Thats unfortunate. Its a great read. Gets one to think about our own mortality and how fast we can lose it all.

Basically story is this, Somewhere in the next 100 years, humanity gets wiped out by a superior alien civilazation. They dont come in peace, nor do they come to have sex with us or to steal our water. they just destroy us in one 'single' attack. The story is about the survivors, scattered all over the solar system and how they are trying to escape the mop up squads. Some crazy and awe inspiring sceince stuff in some chapters.

Part fo the story is where 2 survivors are taken by the invaders and the conversations between them is rather profound.

Basicalluy, its the survival of the fittest. The invaders destroy humanity not becasue they hate us, just that any civilazyion that is capapble of killing themselves is capable of killing another planet, so its always the first strike that matters.

How they find us? Well you have to blame the late MJ for that it seems... according to the story. Apparently the first braodcast of the song 'We are the world' was huimanity's single biggest transmission todate. We have pumped some serious juice in to that song's transmission. That signal is still on its way to outer space... ;)

And it has attracted the wr0ng attention.

Also it argues that teh reason no one can hear from ET is becasue no one in their sane mind will want to be discovered, only the humans are broadcasting themselves like a bunhc oif idiots.

Like I said, great read.

Disagree.I'm far from a religious man and nor do I believe in all that mumbo jumbo like miracles or virgins giving birth.BUT I believe religion has given mankind a set of moral guidelines for it to live by,and it has taught the people the differance between right and wrong.Without which I believe humanity would gave destroyed itself a long time ago.

And BTW Bill Maher is the douchebag of atheists...George Carlin(RIP) FTW!

• Like 1

Disagree.I'm far from a religious man and nor do I believe in all that mumbo jumbo like miracles or virgins giving birth.BUT I believe religion has given mankind a set of moral guidelines for it to live by,and it has taught the people the differance between right and wrong.Without which I believe humanity would gave destroyed itself a long time ago.

And BTW Bill Maher is the douchebag of atheists...George Carlin(RIP) FTW!

true, but it si teh same moral guidelines that sent thousands on crusades, wiping out hundreds of thousands, spread diseases, wiped out civilizations, (Mayans. anyone?), destroyed cultures, ways of life, stole land, slavery, the inquistion, and that was all before we invented the gun... :)

Then we have Jihadists, Fundamentalism, KKK, Orthodox Jews, etc etc etc.

Religions guides men and their affairs with moreal guidelines? I don't think so. I t is the inherent good in some people that has managed to keep humanity safe all this time.

if it was up to the releigious nut jobs, we would have killed ourselves long time ago.

Like Desmond Tutu famously said, 'When they came, we had the land, they had the bible.

They said, let us close our eyes and pray. When we opened ours, they had the land, we had the bible'.

So I tell you, religion is one of humanities best organized crimes.

Bill Maher is not a douchebag... he speaks the bitter truth. :) Watch Religulous!

• Like 1

Oh damn.... the sun that kept burning for millions billions of years is gonna run out of gas one fine day and we are all gonna wake up as zombies :)

Thank you for the more precise scientific explanation... either way the sun will die, and all humanity will die with it.

But I heard the guys at NASA has found a planet with similar conditions as earth that could have life, but anyway bet that is a few thousand light years away and even if we can travel at the speed of light its not going to be enough.

true, but it si teh same moral guidelines that sent thousands on crusades, wiping out hundreds of thousands, spread diseases, wiped out civilizations, (Mayans. anyone?), destroyed cultures, ways of life, stole land, slavery, the inquistion, and that was all before we invented the gun... :)

Then we have Jihadists, Fundamentalism, KKK, Orthodox Jews, etc etc etc.

True.But do you think history would have been any better without it? We'd have found another reason to go to war and kill.it is in our nature to destroy.Religion just seems to be by far the the popular scape goat.If it wasn't religion it would have been either race,caste,natural resources etc that would have been taken as the prime reason for war and destruction.

Religions guides men and their affairs with moreal guidelines? I don't think so. I t is the inherent good in some people that has managed to keep humanity safe all this time.

Your point may be true to a handful of people who can think and decide for themselves.but sadly the masses need some sort of a text book or a "higher power" to teach them how to conduct themselves through life.If we'd relied solely on "the inherent good in people" I shudder to think what the world would be like right now.

Bill Maher is not a douchebag... he speaks the bitter truth. :) Watch Religulous!

I did.and I wasn't impressed.Filled with a bunch of rants if you don't mind me saying...Not to mention other douchebaggy stuff like the one sidded interview with M.I.A during the war and the costume he wore for haloween not even two weeks after Steve Irwin's death.

Wow. I've seen people argue about which religion is better, but which atheist is better is a new one for me. And on AL, of all places!

Let it be said that AL is the home of the intellectual Sri Lankan.

Wow. I've seen people argue about which religion is better, but which atheist is better is a new one for me. And on AL, of all places!

Peri, MD and I are setting an example on how to debate/argue in a positive manner... :)

• Like 1