• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Elaf Sud

Question

It seems that Unimotors have received more than 3500 confirmed orders for Viva cars, the hitch here is that they do not specify in writing the time taken to deliver the car to the customer, in fact they verbly say that it would take 3 to 4 months.

But they take a NON-REFUNDABLE DEPOSIT OF RS 200,000.00, and the agreement is made without mentioning the time period.

Just imagine the total amount of deposit's they would have taken(Non-Refundable) and the intrest they would get on these deposit's which is not passed on to the customer.

It seems that Unimotors have received more than 3500 confirmed orders for Viva cars, the hitch here is that they do not specify in writing the time taken to deliver the car to the customer, in fact they verbly say that it would take 3 to 4 months.

But they take a NON-REFUNDABLE DEPOSIT OF RS 200,000.00, and the agreement is made without mentioning the time period.

Just imagine the total amount of deposit's they would have taken(Non-Refundable) and the intrest they would get on these deposit's which is not passed on to the customer.

Worth problem is Perouda only has the capacity to build about 4000 of these cars a year though they are talking about boosting production to 11000 or so and we're their biggest market outside Malaysia. There are plenty of Myvis that can be exported out of the UK if some smart chap wants to take that challenge up :P

Members,

Whatever the seller says the person who deposits money has a civil right to get a confirmation time of delivery of vehicle.of what they had ordered.

If not agents should not give false promises and get advances for motor Vehicles from customers

I remember one Government organization in 1970s used to get people who want goods from them charge a very nominal charge to register with them like 25.00 Rupees and they let you know the registered number of customers and allocate a reference number. Once the goods arrive they used to publish in papers that the goods are available to come to collect them after paying the cash. If we do not response to that they will give the reserved goods to the next person on the list.

This is like taking money and promising foreign jobs by agencies.

I think this practice of getting advance and not delivering the vehicle in time is a violation of civil rights of our srilankans. We can find plenty of job agencies do this now the vehicle importers had started doing same.

So few persons who had placed orders with deposits to vehicle agents get to gather and go to Consumer protection Authority at Colombo 02. They will give a hearing to the complainant and give a solution for this matter.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

afaik the deposit was 200,000 from the begining.

In 2008 deposit was 100,000 and in 2011 it was 200,000.. :) A friend of mine whos at our office ordered one in last year nov and he said that one of his friend at U/M hint that there might be a tax hike.. But he's NOT SURE..!! So if those who ordered can get a exact delivary date and concrete final price it will be safer..

Edited by kmeeg

wait so;

1. take a 200k deposit

2. keep it in the bank for six months before paying the manufacturer

3.collect interest from the bank

hmm.....seems like a solid plan, when you have a bunch of customers that are willing to take it deep in their backside, just so they can show off their brand new car to their neighbours.

Edited by jdnet
  • Like 3

I've seen people try to hammer Un**o over and over again in these forums and I guess some frustrations are understood. People want to a buy a car quickly and Un**os "Balagiri Dose" kind of answers can be very disconcerting. As someone who waited the wait and got the car and as someone who felt a lot of mixed emotions with their service I just wanted to weigh with a few different perspectives. Here are some popular gripes about the agents and some reasons why I think it is so..

1. They are profiteering by taking people's advances - Because of the time it takes for the delivery of the car, I think the agents are compelled to take a high advance because people tend to get frustrated and cancel their orders midway through the waiting period. This ensures they don't have second thoughts. And also because the car is in limited supply there is also the possibility of certain 'brokers' might corner all the bookings and then 'sell' these free bookings to people. A high advance somewhat prevents unscrupulous elements and makes it fair for genuine buyers.

2. Their customer service is crap - It is generally agreed that their service standards leave a lot to be desired. But sometimes people need to look at it from the worker’s perspective. The company has limited staff to handle thousands of these orders. The sales guys have to close the sale, finalize the financing, follow up the registration, deliver the car and sometimes even help customers out when they have maintenance/accident issues. I've seen some them in action and its not easy. The whole organization from mechanic to sales guy is bursting at the seams. My experience has shown that if you're nice to them and treat them like human beings you can get a lot more done than screaming at them. Just because their bosses are idiots doesn't mean it’s their fault.

3. Delivery gets continuously delayed - I think one of the major let downs here is Perodua itself. From what I've heard from inside sources they've had capacity issues and tend to under deliver to Un**o . The agents try to do their best because obviously it’s not like they can run to another supplier.

4. They are making a massive profit. - All I can point out is that an Alto K10 costs about 360,000 Indian rupees (875,000 LKR) in India and the Viva costs about 35000 ringitt (1.4 million LKR) in Malaysia. Try and figure out who's getting the best deal for their customers.

Finally for those who are on the list or thinking about buying one here's my advice. Be patient. DON'T order the vehicle if you're in a hurry. Go buy a used AE 100, you'll be much happier. But if you want a brand new car that's comfortable, roomy (for its class), does well on juice and is quite nifty to drive then order the Viva. Tell the guys to let you know the nearest date they can actually deliver. Don't bug them everyday. Remind them during the month of their promised delivery. Once you start driving, book a service three weeks before you think you'll hit 1000k.

PS- I am in no way connected to Un**o and have written this only because I love the vehicle and don't want it's image tarnished because the agents don't know how to manage their PR.

• Like 1

Around 6000 units of Viva Elites are already sold in Sri Lanka and 3500 are in waiting list. Usually 600 units per month are allocated to Sri Lanka as according to Perodua Sales person.

I would like to add some comment here

I've seen people try to hammer Un**o over and over again in these forums and I guess some frustrations are understood. People want to a buy a car quickly and Un**os "Balagiri Dose" kind of answers can be very disconcerting. As someone who waited the wait and got the car and as someone who felt a lot of mixed emotions with their service I just wanted to weigh with a few different perspectives. Here are some popular gripes about the agents and some reasons why I think it is so..

1. They are profiteering by taking people's advances - Because of the time it takes for the delivery of the car, I think the agents are compelled to take a high advance because people tend to get frustrated and cancel their orders midway through the waiting period. This ensures they don't have second thoughts. And also because the car is in limited supply there is also the possibility of certain 'brokers' might corner all the bookings and then 'sell' these free bookings to people. A high advance somewhat prevents unscrupulous elements and makes it fair for genuine buyers.

In that case Unimo is reasonable and better than A*W. Unimo takes Rs.200,000/= for as an advance payment for Elite and A*W takes Rs.250,000/= for Alto K10. Definitely agent has to get and advance payment as they open the L/C to the manufacturer (Perodua Malaysia) month by month.

2. Their customer service is crap - It is generally agreed that their service standards leave a lot to be desired. But sometimes people need to look at it from the worker’s perspective. The company has limited staff to handle thousands of these orders. The sales guys have to close the sale, finalize the financing, follow up the registration, deliver the car and sometimes even help customers out when they have maintenance/accident issues. I've seen some them in action and its not easy. The whole organization from mechanic to sales guy is bursting at the seams. My experience has shown that if you're nice to them and treat them like human beings you can get a lot more done than screaming at them. Just because their bosses are idiots doesn't mean it’s their fault.

As some one said earlier their system is not computerized. Most of the things done by manually. The person who handled our 2 sales(February 2011) was very nice and later he left the company due to his university education commenced. He was very helpful. The day I collected our two cars (in May 2011) , lighter was absent in one car. They didn't inform me until I saw it while leaving the Unimo and I returned back and complained. I had to waste one more hour siting there to get their final answer and ultimately they delivered it to me after 10 days. There was a mistake in my CR. So I complained and the person who handled it got it corrected and deliver me the amended CR soon. I relay appreciate it. However some sales peoples don't not have proper idea about the car they sell. One customer lady was asking what is ABS? and sales person failed to give a brief description or simple explanation (this happened in front of me). So some people are doing well while some are not satisfactory. However Higher Management of the Perodua Showroom at Union Place is not efficient I think. Due to their mistakes and poor guidance, decisions sales teams get very much pressure I have seen. How every my idea is better to keep in touch with sales people continuously (not to disturb them all the time) and be update your self epically when promised deliver date getting closer.

3. Delivery gets continuously delayed - I think one of the major let downs here is Perodua itself. From what I've heard from inside sources they've had capacity issues and tend to under deliver to Un**o . The agents try to do their best because obviously it’s not like they can run to another supplier.

4. They are making a massive profit. - All I can point out is that an Alto K10 costs about 360,000 Indian rupees (875,000 LKR) in India and the Viva costs about 35000 ringitt (1.4 million LKR) in Malaysia. Try and figure out who's getting the best deal for their customers.

The Elite Viva CIF Colombo price is about USD 6000/=. (About Rs. 660,000/=) few months ago as per their quotation previously given to permit holders. We know there is a huge tax to pay Sri Lankan government. Unimo pays much more tax than A*W pays. Best example is Radio / CD player. For Elite it is factory fitted and while importing Unimo pays duty/tax to the Sri Lankan government for this item. Alto K10 comes without Radio/CD player and it is fitted by the dealer (A*W) . So A*W does not pay duty/tax for Radio/CD player and so their profit get increased. When compare functions of the vehicles and the prices, it is very much clear Unimo get a lower profit than A*W. I guess Unimos profit for a car is nearly Rs.100,000/=. (Usually for Yaris or Bluebird the agent get their fee about Rs.300,000/= per vehicle.)

Finally for those who are on the list or thinking about buying one here's my advice. Be patient. DON'T order the vehicle if you're in a hurry. Go buy a used AE 100, you'll be much happier. But if you want a brand new car that's comfortable, roomy (for its class), does well on juice and is quite nifty to drive then order the Viva. Tell the guys to let you know the nearest date they can actually deliver. Don't bug them everyday. Remind them during the month of their promised delivery. Once you start driving, book a service three weeks before you think you'll hit 1000k.

PS- I am in no way connected to Un**o and have written this only because I love the vehicle and don't want it's image tarnished because the agents don't know how to manage their PR.

Of course Elite Viva is pretty worth for money you spend. Only thing the agent has to reduce their mistakes and give a better service same as the quality of the car.

Edited by Sampath Gunasekera

only for new orders right??

"only for new orders"?? Heh.. hee.. ur joking mate.. U really need to ask from ppl who bought cars from Unim*..When ur gonna pay the full amount and get the car today and the Gov put a tax hike few hours ago, still you have to pay the new price.. Thats their customer service.. :sport-smiley-005:

"only for new orders"?? Heh.. hee.. ur joking mate.. U really need to ask from ppl who bought cars from Unim*..When ur gonna pay the full amount and get the car today and the Gov put a tax hike few hours ago, still you have to pay the new price.. Thats their customer service.. :sport-smiley-005:

Ya thats true mate.. Addition to that if you get a new feature at the time you recieve the vehicle and which wasn't there when you order it still you have to pay for that.. DAMN..!! Thats what happen to the ppl who bought Elite which came with immobilisor.. It was about Rs20,000..!! Customers knew that their cars equiped with this at the time they come to pay the full amount and collect the car.

I also saw that some salesman has spoken to customers in a very bad manner in some of the older threads.. :violent-smiley-027:

Ya thats true mate.. Addition to that if you get a new feature at the time you recieve the vehicle and which wasn't there when you order it still you have to pay for that.. DAMN..!! Thats what happen to the ppl who bought Elite which came with immobilisor.. It was about Rs20,000..!! Customers knew that their cars equiped with this at the time they come to pay the full amount and collect the car.

I also saw that some salesman has spoken to customers in a very bad manner in some of the older threads.. :violent-smiley-027:

Kmeeg,

Thats true.. when you go their to get some details about the car thier so busy and they are like take it or leave it like. They really have poor service. Also i saw some customers were scolding inside their office, i think his car has got very delayed.. :)

K.

i see..

I asked my sales guy about what happend to the price after exchange change rate at last governement budget . he said that my order does not affect since I orderd in sepentember.. he said new price affect for orders after october.. however, I still did not recieve my car.. so I ill post what happens to my price in next few weeks after receiving my car..

i see..

I asked my sales guy about what happend to the price after exchange change rate at last governement budget . he said that my order does not affect since I orderd in sepentember.. he said new price affect for orders after october.. however, I still did not recieve my car.. so I ill post what happens to my price in next few weeks after receiving my car..

Hi Kmart,

Do you know the latest prices of Viva now?

Elite STD M/T -

Elite STD A/T -

Elite PRM A/T -

Tx alot,

Kalana.

I think there would definitely be a price increase due to foreign exchange fluctuations. I think with only 600 units allocated to Sri Lanka its going to take a while to clear the backlog. I wonder if a smart businessman can take advantage of the situation and import and distribute the cars from a different source perhaps sourced from the used market.

I think there would definitely be a price increase due to foreign exchange fluctuations. I think with only 600 units allocated to Sri Lanka its going to take a while to clear the backlog. I wonder if a smart businessman can take advantage of the situation and import and distribute the cars from a different source perhaps sourced from the used market.

Ya.. If some businessman can bring down Viva straight from Perodua and sell even at a slightly higher price than Unim@ without taking advance payment (Pay and get on the spot), defenetly it'll be a huge profitable business.. Not only Viva, there are other product from Perodua like the Myvi and Alza. But i don't know since Unim@ is the agent for SL and any other person can start a business with Perodua.

If anyone know a contact who is doing this already please let know. Not the ppl who are buying 2nd hand and selling..

Thx,

Kalana.

Links from Perodua -

Myvi - http://www.perodua.com.my/ourcars/myvi-extreme/overview/intro

Alza - http://www.perodua.com.my/ourcars/alza-advanced/overview/intro

Edited by kalanapgb

Ya.. If some businessman can bring down Viva straight from Perodua and sell even at a slightly higher price than Unim@ without taking advance payment (Pay and get on the spot), defenetly it'll be a huge profitable business.. Not only Viva, there are other product from Perodua like the Myvi and Alza. But i don't know since Unim@ is the agent for SL and any other person can start a business with Perodua.

If anyone know a contact who is doing this already please let know. Not the ppl who are buying 2nd hand and selling..

Thx,

Kalana.

Links from Perodua -

Myvi - http://www.perodua.c.../overview/intro

Alza - http://www.perodua.c.../overview/intro

Kalana, I don't think sourcing brand new will work. The problem is at Perouda not at Unimo. Their current manufacturing capacity can't keep up with demand. I think they are planning to boost production to 10,000 units per year but that is not going to happen straight away. I think current capacity is somewhere around 6000 units per year in entirety and currently there are 3500 orders from Sri Lanka alone.

But you can source the Myvi in particular from the UK market but not sure of the feasibility.

Latest price for Perodua Viva Elite :girl_werewolf:

Elite STD M/T - Rs.1,590,000 /= + Rs. 17,500/= (Registration + with holding tax) = Rs.1,607500/=

Elite STD A/T - Rs. 1,690,000/= + Rs. 17,500/= (Registration + with holding tax) = Rs. 1,707,500/=

Elite PRM A/T - Rs. 1,950,000/= + Rs. 17,500/= (Registration + with holding tax) = Rs.1,967,500/=

Earliest delivery : July 2012 :sad-smiley-047:

Elite STD M/T - Rs.1,590,000 /= + Rs. 17,500/= (Registration + with holding tax) = Rs.1,607500/=

Elite STD A/T - Rs. 1,690,000/= + Rs. 17,500/= (Registration + with holding tax) = Rs. 1,707,500/=

Elite PRM A/T - Rs. 1,950,000/= + Rs. 17,500/= (Registration + with holding tax) = Rs.1,967,500/=

• Like 1

Is this getting applicable for those who had already advanced? Also any reasons for increasing this much?