• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Tappet Noise When Cold Startings.

saranga cb3

Question

when my car is started at morning, I here a tappet noise, after few minutes the noise is gone. Pls enyone tell me what it is and how to fixe it.

when my car is started at morning, I here a tappet noise, after few minutes the noise is gone. Pls enyone tell me what it is and how to fixe it.

'saranga cb3',

What is the make of your car how old it is how many kilometers it is done what is the grade of oil what you use.

Without above information no one can post a reply. How do you suspect it is tappet noise

Give more details about your car..

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

sorry for the late reply.my car is Lancer CB3, 4G91 Engine 1992, 150k done. I don't know what is the oil type cause I bougt it before 6month I didn't do any service yet. That noise only comes at cold starts. My mechanist said that it is a tappet noise and I also guess so.

Sure it's a 4G91? Got double camshafts? Might be wrong but do those have hydraulic lash-adjusters? If it has the hydraulic valve system there is no manual “valve” adjustment available. You might have to open up the cam-cover and clean and inspect the lash-adjusters. (That'd be fun!) They might need a bleed or maybe even replacement of some.

Anyway, here's the Mitsubishi 4G9 engine series workshop manual for you to have a study:

http://www.lilevo.com/mirage/Manuals/4G9%20Series%20Engine%20Workshop%20Manual%20PWEE9101-ABCDE.pdf

Good luck fixing the noise.

sorry for the late reply.my car is Lancer CB3, 4G91 Engine 1992, 150k done. I don't know what is the oil type cause I bougt it before 6month I didn't do any service yet. That noise only comes at cold starts. My mechanist said that it is a tappet noise and I also guess so.

Potentially 6+ months without an oil change on a car? And you don't even know what kind of oil you're running?

plus I notice via another thread you're looking to get a fart barrel / muffler tip on your car?

Dude....major fail. And I say this in the nicest possible way- Absolutely no malice intended: Take care of the basic maintenance of your car first, before you worry about its cosmetics; otherwise you're always going to be at your mechanic's with car issues.

To that end: Based on the details of your car I'm assuming you're running non-synthetic oil. If that's the case- Go change your oil! (Non-synthetic oil starts breaking down after about three months use and its no longer effective at protecting / lubricating your engine as intended. Especially when cold.)

The most important (and cheapest) maintenance you can do on your car is to monitor the engine oil and do the changes on time / as needed. For a non-synthetic oil: I'd be looking to change the oil every three months or every 5000km, whichever comes first. If you're picky (and with an older car that you intend on keeping for a while you should be): Change it every three months or every 3500-4000km (Synthetic oils have a longer life and have varying tolerances based on the brand so this rule of thumb will not apply in that scenario).

Edited by Kavvz

I too have the same car and experienced this.

This is due to Hydraulic lash adjusters. Based on information I found this sound must go away after couple of minutes starting the engine. If the sound persists for a long time... this could be due to clogged lash adjuster. Try cleaning lash adjusters and replace if really needs. Here is some help cleaning/replacing them.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-engine-fuel/265060-how-replace-lash-adjusters-lifters.html

I have the same engine on my car and funny enough I went through the exact same problem. Here are the facts.

As the car gets older its normal to hear a bit of tappet noise in a cold start in these cars. It is because as somebody has already said the engine has hydraulic tappets which are adjusted by oil pressure. The oil takes a bit of time to pressure up hence the noise for a little bit before it disappears. As long as it disappears it is not a big problem. If it starts staying on for bit longer it could be one of the following.

1. You haven't changed oil in a while

2. You have sludge in your engine or your oil lines are blocked

3. Your oil pump is faulty

4. You tappets or the chambers are worn

Basically in your car I don't think its a problem since the tappet noise goes away after a cold start as this is normal. A lot of Mitsubishi engines are like this and it is not an issue. So my suggestion is for the moment to get the oil service done and use good quality oil and oil filter and keep to a good maintenance schedule.

In my car there came a point when this noise was always there. I managed to sort the problem out in the short term by a combination of using slightly thicker oil, engine flush and using top end treatment, but after a couple of years I had to change the tappets (I actually ended up changing the engine as my mechanic found one in good nick for 35K at the time which I felt was cheaper as I didn't trust the maintenance of the previous owner). They were just too worn at that point. But my engine had done about 185K and was abused by the previous owner who didn't maintain it properly. I think with good maintenance your engine has a good 50K or more left in it before the tappets become a problem :)

The 4G91 is an excellent engine :)

Edited by The Don

Hi

I too have the same 4g91 engine my car but for some reason, the Timing belt gone and my mechanic says that I must find a head and replace. Little more than 50k km done on that timing belt FYI.

'The Don' it would be a great help if you could tell me where you found the 4g91 engine. I am looking for a head for last few days before the new year but could not find a one.

So, if you could talk to your mechanic and see... that would be a great help.

Thanks in advance.

Hi

I too have the same 4g91 engine my car but for some reason, the Timing belt gone and my mechanic says that I must find a head and replace. Little more than 50k km done on that timing belt FYI.

'The Don' it would be a great help if you could tell me where you found the 4g91 engine. I am looking for a head for last few days before the new year but could not find a one.

So, if you could talk to your mechanic and see... that would be a great help.

Thanks in advance.

Hi tglk,

Sad to hear about what has happened to your car. Did you try to "Watte" area in Panchikawatte because that is where I found my engine. This was a good 4 years ago though and I even spotted another engine, but a carb version when I went to look for an AC compressor. My 4G91 is an EFI version.

Take a trip to the "Watte" and see what you can find.

id be more worried about running on old engine oil than the tappet noise..6 months after you bought the car assuming the previous owner did change the oil when he sold it...best you get the oil and filter changed ASAP and then look into your tappet problem...id be paranoid if i knew an oil change hasnt been done in 6 months and not even knowing what oil that goes into it...

Take a trip to the "Watte" and see what you can find.

interestingly i always wanted to venture out to the watte but never knew how to get to it or whom to talk any tips on coming out of that place alive and fully clad in clothing

Edited by YALA

interestingly i always wanted to venture out to the watte but never knew how to get to it or whom to talk any tips on coming out of that place alive and fully clad in clothing

Well access to Watte area is right by the bridge over the canal. Or you can ask anybody and they will show you the way. The same rules when dealing with Panchikawatte applies. Try to stay clear of the brokers, only talk to people inside shops and negotiate like crazy. Also do not dress as you are a rich guy (better if you look like a mechanic) as they price according to looks. Ironically in my case it was a broker who helped me find the compressor as he took one look at it and knew exactly where to find one. Amazing!

I have the same engine on my car and funny enough I went through the exact same problem. Here are the facts.

As the car gets older its normal to hear a bit of tappet noise in a cold start in these cars. It is because as somebody has already said the engine has hydraulic tappets which are adjusted by oil pressure. The oil takes a bit of time to pressure up hence the noise for a little bit before it disappears. As long as it disappears it is not a big problem. If it starts staying on for bit longer it could be one of the following.

1. You haven't changed oil in a while

2. You have sludge in your engine or your oil lines are blocked

3. Your oil pump is faulty

4. You tappets or the chambers are worn

Basically in your car I don't think its a problem since the tappet noise goes away after a cold start as this is normal. A lot of Mitsubishi engines are like this and it is not an issue. So my suggestion is for the moment to get the oil service done and use good quality oil and oil filter and keep to a good maintenance schedule.

In my car there came a point when this noise was always there. I managed to sort the problem out in the short term by a combination of using slightly thicker oil, engine flush and using top end treatment, but after a couple of years I had to change the tappets (I actually ended up changing the engine as my mechanic found one in good nick for 35K at the time which I felt was cheaper as I didn't trust the maintenance of the previous owner). They were just too worn at that point. But my engine had done about 185K and was abused by the previous owner who didn't maintain it properly. I think with good maintenance your engine has a good 50K or more left in it before the tappets become a problem :)

The 4G91 is an excellent engine :)

Hi Guys,

I think I need to update something here.I have a same problem with my Ck2 for about more than 1 year now.About 2 months ago my mechanic found out some blocked oil lines he cleaned them.Suprise all these tappet noise went away.But I can hear the same tappet noise again.

I am not really sure about my Engine it might be 4G15.My engine has done 178k.

1. You haven't changed oil in a while - I am changine engine oil regulary.I am using Havoline oil.Before my mechanic clean oil lines I did a full service.After I changed the oil for 2 days I couldnt hear this tappet noise and it came again after 2/3 days.Any ideas?

2. You have sludge in your engine or your oil lines are blocked - Yes my oil lines were blocked and cleaned as I mentioend above.Have no idea about sludge in the engine.But I dont want to do a Engine flush.

3. Your oil pump is faulty - My mechanic told me oil pump pressure is fine.Then he cleaned the oil lines

4. You tappets or the chambers are worn - Can this be the last reason? or should I try out anything else.

Your most valuable ideas are welcome :)

Thanks guys.

Edited by Hungry_Minder

Hi Guys,

I think I need to update something here.I have a same problem with my Ck2 for about more than 1 year now.About 2 months ago my mechanic found out some blocked oil lines he cleaned them.Suprise all these tappet noise went away.But I can hear the same tappet noise again.

I am not really sure about my Engine it might be 4G15.My engine has done 178k.

1. You haven't changed oil in a while - I am changine engine oil regulary.I am using Havoline oil.Before my mechanic clean oil lines I did a full service.After I changed the oil for 2 days I couldnt hear this tappet noise and it came again after 2/3 days.Any ideas?

2. You have sludge in your engine or your oil lines are blocked - Yes my oil lines were blocked and cleaned as I mentioend above.Have no idea about sludge in the engine.But I dont want to do a Engine flush.

3. Your oil pump is faulty - My mechanic told me oil pump pressure is fine.Then he cleaned the oil lines

4. You tappets or the chambers are worn - Can this be the last reason? or should I try out anything else.

Your most valuable ideas are welcome :)

Thanks guys.

Did you try using a thicker oil?...Engine flushes rarely solve anything.

Hi,

I am using normal Havline oil.What kind of thick oils you are recommend?

MD's suggesting you change the viscosity of the oil you are using (all brands offer different viscosity so you can stay with Havoline if that's the brand of engine oil you prefer).

For example if you currently use Havoline10W-30 he's suggesting you go up to a thicker viscosity like Havoline 15W-40.

(Or for example, Lanka Super Plus SAE 40 instead of Lanka Super Plus SAE 30).

Try reading this article for clarification on oil viscosity

Edited by Kavvz

Hi,

I am using normal Havline oil.What kind of thick oils you are recommend?

Refer to the post by Kavvz...

This is not a guarenteed soloution ofcourse.But on a fairly worn out engine like yours it might be worth a try,especially as the noise is not permanent,before moving on to a tappet,rocker assembly replacement etc

Thanks guys for the answers

I have used this one already Havoline 15W-40

Seems then not something with the engine oil? my question is why this was gone after cleaned oil lines?

tappet,rocker assembly replacement

is this a expensive replacement? can only replace by mitsubishi workshop or?

See reason #2: Dirty Oil deposits for an explanation of a probable cause as to why the noise went away after the oil lines were cleaned.

Edited by Kavvz

See reason #2: Dirty Oil deposits for an explanation of a probable cause as to why the noise went away after the oil lines were cleaned.

Hi Kavvz,

Thanks for the answer.I remeber my mechinic told me he removed dirty things (like mud) from oil lines.

So then there are still more dirty oil deposits inside the engine? what is the best way to clean them?

Hi Kavvz,

Thanks for the answer.I remeber my mechinic told me he removed dirty things (like mud) from oil lines.

So then there are still more dirty oil deposits inside the engine? what is the best way to clean them?

I currently have a bit of clatter in the mornings too and I think its due to blocked oil lines / lack of oil on startup as it settles down after the engine warms up a bit. Seems like this is the same scenario you face as well? If that's the case, don't sweat it. I think its pretty normal to have that issue as the engine ages and in your case since the engine has 170k on it, I think your situation would be in keeping with that train of thought.

If you want, you can get all fancy and use a high-milage oil as they apparently have additives that are supposed to help reduce tappet noise on high milage cars but I think that its partly marketing mumbo-jumbo. Personally, I use regular oil and change it more frequently (so as to reduce any further build ups).

There are additives on the market that are added just before an oil change to break down / help break down deposits which then get dumped out when changing the oil and filter; but I wouldn't recommend them. Apparently some additives can mess things up even more and since your situation is the norm rather than the exception I wouldn't do anything other than stick with the thicker / higher viscosity SAE 40 oil you're using (in your case Havoline 15w40).

Edited by Kavvz

I currently have a bit of clatter in the mornings too and I think its due to blocked oil lines / lack of oil on startup as it settles down after the engine warms up a bit. Seems like this is the same scenario you face as well? If that's the case, don't sweat it. I think its pretty normal to have that issue as the engine ages and in your case since the engine has 170k on it, I think your situation would be in keeping with that train of thought.

Hi Kavvz,

you are 100% correct in here.I have the same problem.But its really annonying sometimes :speechless-smiley-004:

I just talked to a person in Mitsubishi workshop and he told me its worth to adjust the tappet and see.What do you think about this? My one has hydrolic lifters

Edited by Hungry_Minder

Hi Kavvz,

you are 100% correct in here.I have the same problem.But its really annonying sometimes :speechless-smiley-004:

I just talked to a person in Mitsubishi workshop and he told me its worth to adjust the tappet and see.What do you think about this? My one has hydrolic lifters

I couldn't give you much of an expert opinion I'm afraid, as its not something I've had to do. But thinking about it in a logical fashion I guess you could try adjusting the tappet valves via this mechanic and if the guy is wrong, you can simply take it someplace else and get them to made re-adjustments. Unlike pouring additives into the crankcase this option isn't irreversible; so you might as well try it out. Please do update us on how it went.

This thread begins with tappet noise of a 4G9 series engine with hydraulic lash adjusters connected to the oil path but now it has gone into a discussion of the same problem with a 4G15 engine which does not have hydraulic lash adjusters. For 4G15 if the noise appear only in the cold start it is not an issue other than a slight inconvenience, but if the noise is persistent then you can have the tappets adjusted but is not related to a problem with engine oil in this case.

Edited by Rumesh88