• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Montero Sport 2009-2012 Modifications

RAZOR

Hi, I've ordered a montero sport for my government permit and as you know its has got so many nice features stripped down to keep the CIF value below 25000$. My plan is to fit a good bunch of quality after market gadgets that look similar to factory installed equipment. greatly appreciate if you can give me any suggestions/tip regarding this matter. following are the most likely to be fitted items

Security System With remote engine stop,gps tracking

Reverse Camera or sensors

Cooler-box

rear spoiler

Also im thinking of changing installed center information display with a touch screen monitor + single din alpine head unit that have inputs for vehicle trip information data so i want miss those valuable info on Multi information display

http://www.leasingacar.biz/

You can get accessories from Motor world Dehiwala and Elcardo Naraheinpita. For Reverse sensors and camera try Sun lanka or Pet#o La#ka. And I think Gilbert car audio sell cool boxes :) check with them.

thanks a lot kelum.

Both S*u lanka and El * ardo are seling lot of crome stuff, but please dont waste your money on these it just makes the car look bad....

But I have seen a few M Sports with LED lights, looks like direct fit units, very nice.

Another thing you could go for would be a nice hood rack, the new sport seems to be bit too rounded for my taste , so adding a hood rack would be a nice touch. Also pretty handy if you actually use all 7 seats.

Another thing you could go for would be a nice hood rack, the new sport seems to be bit too rounded for my taste , so adding a hood rack would be a nice touch. Also pretty handy if you actually use all 7 seats.

Only add a hood rack etc. If you intend on using it. As well as increasing the centre of gravity, hood racks add to fuel consumption by a large margin (about 20%-30% for the average hood rack).

Only add a hood rack etc. If you intend on using it. As well as increasing the centre of gravity, hood racks add to fuel consumption by a large margin (about 20%-30% for the average hood rack).

So are you saying a hoodrack is about 1/4 the weight of the vehicle itself?

Dude dont spread BS... yes it will add a bit of weight, and yes it will raise the centre of gravity, but only to a near negligible amount. How heavy is a hood-rack at most 100kg? Thats about the weight of an adult and a child sitting in the car. And centre of gravity again will hardly move considering the chassis, the body and the engine which are the heaviest things dont move at all...At the same time the air resistance due to the shape of the rack is also negligible.. You'll probably save more fuel by keeping ur engine well-tuned rather than not have a rack.

• Like 2

An Aluminium hood rack is under 20Kg ( this is a proper ARB rack, not the cheap ones sold in Darly rd) . Since the M Sport is 7 seater this is a very good way to get additional cargo space when going on long trips with a big family. Also if you get the removable cross bars, its pretty easy to remove when not needed. But I feel a rack gives a 4x4 a nice off road look.

Dude dont spread BS... yes it will add a bit of weight, and yes it will raise the centre of gravity, but only to a near negligible amount. How heavy is a hood-rack at most 100kg? Thats about the weight of an adult and a child sitting in the car. And centre of gravity again will hardly move considering the chassis, the body and the engine which are the heaviest things dont move at all...At the same time the air resistance due to the shape of the rack is also negligible.. You'll probably save more fuel by keeping ur engine well-tuned rather than not have a rack.

I think the FC might go down more due to the drag created by the rack, than it weight it self. Correct me if I'm wrong

I think the FC might go down more due to the drag created by the rack, than it weight it self. Correct me if I'm wrong

Wrong; like i said the air resistance (or what you called drag) is near negligible. This is not a sports car travelling at 100+kmph most of the time. Its more likely to be cruising at 70-80 at most while on a trip and at 40-50 at most.

You know your theory but you're misjudging the magnitude of its effect.

unimods in wellawatte sells the led lights. hoodrack, various different bodykits. spoilers, piggyback ecu upgrades, lowering kit and a whole range of stuff for the montero sport only.. they also have a few ralli art goodies.. check with them..

Thanks for the input Watchman- Fair enough, I stand corrected: My statement was subjective based on my use. I shouldn't have stated : "For the average roof rack". My bad.

What I should have stated was: "In my opinion, based on MY experience with a roof rack I experienced a dramatic decrease in fuel consumption when I took it off my SUV. When I took it off, my fuel consumption decreased by around 20%-30%. Its a shame I didn't take off the roof rack the previous owner had added on sooner; as this was just fuel money down the drain for I never really used the roof rack / basket anyway. It was just sitting on top of the vehicle and increasing my vehicle's co-effcient of drag. Plus it made the high centre of gravity higher, elevating the risk of a roll-over".

My increase in fuel consumption was caused by drag rather than the weight of the rack itself. You may have experienced a lower decrease in fuel consumption due to your average speed and the design of the rack and that's normal as drag increases dramatically (exponentially) with speed; particularly at speeds above 80 kmph. In essence the impact on fuel efficiency will depend on the largely on the drag the roof rack causes and the avg. speed at which the vehicle travels.

I'm sorry I generalized everybody: However based on my usage I saw a dramatic decrease in fuel consumption when I removed my roof rack, therefore I certainly don't recommend adding a roof rack just to improve the appearance of a vehicle.

Edited by Kavvz

• 2 years later...

sorry for opening an old topic.

Where can I find a good Aluminium hoodrack(with plastic roof box,from Thule etc) in Colombo for a limousine(Audi A4)?

http://www.thule.com/en/de/products/carriers-and-racks/boxes-and-baskets/roof-boxes/thule-touring-_-family_445467

And are they allowed in the Expressway yet?

Edited by RViji

Thanks for the input Watchman- Fair enough, I stand corrected: My statement was subjective based on my use. I shouldn't have stated : "For the average roof rack". My bad.

What I should have stated was: "In my opinion, based on MY experience with a roof rack I experienced a dramatic decrease in fuel consumption when I took it off my SUV. When I took it off, my fuel consumption decreased by around 20%-30%. Its a shame I didn't take off the roof rack the previous owner had added on sooner; as this was just fuel money down the drain for I never really used the roof rack / basket anyway. It was just sitting on top of the vehicle and increasing my vehicle's co-effcient of drag. Plus it made the high centre of gravity higher, elevating the risk of a roll-over".

My increase in fuel consumption was caused by drag rather than the weight of the rack itself. You may have experienced a lower decrease in fuel consumption due to your average speed and the design of the rack and that's normal as drag increases dramatically (exponentially) with speed; particularly at speeds above 80 kmph. In essence the impact on fuel efficiency will depend on the largely on the drag the roof rack causes and the avg. speed at which the vehicle travels.

I'm sorry I generalized everybody: However based on my usage I saw a dramatic decrease in fuel consumption when I removed my roof rack, therefore I certainly don't recommend adding a roof rack just to improve the appearance of a vehicle.

Kavvz, is this a roof rack you are speaking of or a Whale shaped Roof box, which is fitted onto roof bars?

Hello The Don

I don't think any law issue for the roof box, but cops might fuss over minor points like this, We had the same roof rack on Delica P25 and never had any issue with cops for the rack, but had to go to the court for factory nudge bar :speechless-smiley-004:

regards

JC

A nudge bar is the so called bull bar in front?

Well that is a pedastrian safety hazard and illegal in towns in most countries.

Is the padded variant legal here? the one thats oem on the defender? I believe its legal in the UK? or is it not?

Edited by tiv

Is the padded variant legal here? the one thats oem on the defender? I believe its legal in the UK? or is it not?

Don't think its legal in Europe. In the UK you used to be able to use them outside urban areas like farms etc but not so sure anyway. Pedastrian safety has become a key requirement of new vehicles (as you know this is why the old Defender is being retired) so even if it is allowed now it won't be allowed for long. Padding does not really help passengers when hit at speed unless the bar collapses and absorbs the impact. But then, whats the point of having that in the first place.

As for SL, our cops have issues interpretting complicated laws, so most likely it will be hassle to sport one.

• 3 years later...
6 hours ago, Nimantha2015 said:

where can i find a place to put led tailights for the montero sport?

I don't have experience with Montero sport but replying since no one replied. In general converting from regular incandescent bulb to LED you don't need any conversion kit. However for headlight LED conversions there is a kit to avoid flickering. For tail lamps as long as these sockets fits I bet you don't have to do anything. Haven't heard the flickering problem for tail lamps.

LEDUntitled.jpg

Edited by kmeeg