• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

How Can There Be Such A Difference?

rameez

Question

guys,

i have been on the lookout for a painter to do some paint work, at times i felt to go a for a full body paint so whenever i meet someone i always show my car and get some indication. most of them quoted somewhere around 100k. last week i went to replace my horn from a dehiwela joint and when that was being fixed i noticed a VW golf being painted white and the job was quite nicely being done,i asked the guy and he introduced me to a painter.since my car was there i showed it to him and he had a good look at it and quoted me a price af around 30,000, and told me that the paint might be around 4 liters and will cost about 15k. i am still worried or confused how can be there such a difference in prices when it comes to painting unless this guy is doing a charity.

any ideas folks....?

1- Did the 100k quote include materials? If it did, maybe they use higher quality paints; the type of paint you use could make a big difference in the cost I guess;

2- then there's also the fact that they maybe using one of those fancy ovens while the 30k might not.

3- Painting doesn't necessarily mean just spraying on a new coat of paint. removing anomalies on the body especially can be a long and painful task.

Its hard for anyone to say if the 100k or 30k is justifiable without having seen the vehicle; but it wouldnt hurt to wait and see how the golf paint-job ends up and covering all bases and possible hidden costs.

Edited by Watchman

yes the 100k was with materials ....but still the price is way too high right,,,,this guy says materials will come around 15k.

the 100k was not any fancy ovens actually he is just another bass who will do it at my house....said he had just finished a double cab and will start on my car.

if there is body work to be done (tinkering) and if things like windscreen etc have to come off, the costs shoot up high.

Some painters tend to respray with just masking things out...

Simply the term "full spray" is different from painter to painter.

yes there is body work to be done there tinkering in the front area to be done.

and actually i showed it to him about the air bubbles that had appeared in my car and he said that you need to scarp it right into your metal and repaint it..

i am still baffled due to that reason. do you think he knows what he is talking about.

Edited by rameez

and actually i showed it to him about the air bubbles that had appeared in my car and he said that you need to scarp it right into your metal and repaint it..

i am still baffled due to that reason. do you think he knows what he is talking about.

If I where you I'd go for the cheaper one, specially for a car that age

I did the same few years ago for a small car,

A garage asked me 120k for it but a man came and did it for 30k,

There where no problems, he told that materials would cost around 15k but it cost me about 30k because the colour was expensive.

The garage was using debeer (i didn't like the finish as they did some touch ups in my other vehicle),

I bought my painter sikens from CIC which he recommended.

What is the color of you'r vehicle as paint prices change from color to color,

Most probably if it's toyota white it's pretty cheap in brands like ROCK.

Additionally the guy did some things for my another vehicle and did some interior painting and painted the brake calipers, which would not have happened if i've given it to a garage.

Edited by Clark's son

I bought a metallic blue color 1/4 liters for below Rs.500

when you buy 4L the rate will be lower but depend on the shade,

If you are doing a complete color swap you could consider going for a cheaper shade because when i searced for a lemmon yellow shade to change the colour to it was about Rs.10000 per liter

Blimey, you're daily driving a 78 Lancer and you want to spend money on a resparay? Off to Youtube with you and have a look at the "paint your car with a roller/brush" vids. You'll be surprised by the results the guys get AND the cheapness, Ya could even get your family involved in the repaint as a weekend project ::-)

Blimey, you're daily driving a 78 Lancer and you want to spend money on a resparay? Off to Youtube with you and have a look at the "paint your car with a roller/brush" vids. You'll be surprised by the results the guys get AND the cheapness, Ya could even get your family involved in the repaint as a weekend project ::-)

so wht u say is just because a car is old....u must not paint it and restore it ..... :speechless-smiley-004:

Edited by rameez
  • Like 3

What's wrong with deciding to give a good paint job to a 78 Lancer? It should be just as valuable to Rameez as to how much your scooter is worth to you. If half the population in the world had that mentality, we wouldn't be having any of the nicely restored classics.

rameez,

Going for a colour change can be pretty expensive compared to a normal paint job. The A72 comes with interior panels which are painted (especially in the boot area) so you will have to strip down the entire car if you're going to do a perfect job. This would shoot your costs further up.

Edited by Davy
  • Like 7

Just having something superior than the OP dosen't make you a god,

Even if you have a Prado some one who uses a Sahara with you'r mentality may laugh at you, saying why you put Geolanders use ceat instead.

@rameez

The lancer is a great car, so do you'r respray, have you heard that old is gold.

As Davy said you would have to remove most of the components for a drastic change like from silver to blue,

And the parts may not fit properly after refitting so unnecessary rattles will appear.

But if you don't like silver go for something like gun metallic gray, or titanium, so that it won't be of much notice when you keep you'r interior parts and engine bay in the old colour.

• Like 2

Yawn...scratches under armpit...hitches his sarong....thinks....jeez, jez tryin to help the lovely fella not waste money he could better spend on booze 'n fags 'n the ladies........gets into his 1959 Ford 100E.....exits stage left in direction of the pub with a plume of blue exhaust smoke and farts from the muffler.......

Yawn...scratches under armpit...hitches his sarong....thinks....jeez, jez tryin to help the lovely fella not waste money he could better spend on booze 'n fags 'n the ladies........gets into his 1959 Ford 100E.....exits stage left in direction of the pub with a plume of blue exhaust smoke and farts from the muffler.......

Looks like monkey didn't have his Banana Today!!!

• Like 4

imagine the other member who is trying to restore his triumph thinking in this terms........there will be no classic restorations ever done ...since they are old. i know that the lancer and the triumph are in a seperate league but then i guess we all are not the same when it comes to cars. just because a car is old does not make it useless........most of our cars starting from 14sri B11s are quite old in that sense but we still use them over here right.......and maintained in mint condition.

Edited by rameez

the color is silver.........but i plan to give it metalic blue....

Rameez, if you are changing colour and using metallic paint 30K is probably too low a quote. I'm not sure if the man understands what needs to be done. The reason is the entire car need to be stripped of items and painted including the engine bay. My suggestion is to stick to stock silver and restore car to original condition by repairing the rusted sections. I think this is a more efficient use of your money and if you are lucky you'll get the job completed within 100K

Two categories of old cars in the real world. One category is worth restoring, cherishing, loving, enjoying, keeping. The other category is worth junking. Now, let's think, where do most 1970s Jap cars belong? In the first category, or in the second? Not a hard question. Here's a clue - in the second category. Now, think hard, its quiz time again, in which category do TRs or an MG or an older VDub belong????????? Mind you I'm probably absolutely wrong.......

PS The great thing about 1970s Jap cars, of course, is their in-built sel-junking mechanism powered by the Great God Rust.

30k is too low a quote machan. i tinkered, reprayed, and went from adriatic pearl blue to electric blue for 63k. if you get it baked, or done at a place like Sen*k, it'll be around 120,000. (they did a friends car for that price. same color, full body spray and tinkering)

Two categories of old cars in the real world. One category is worth restoring, cherishing, loving, enjoying, keeping. The other category is worth junking. Now, let's think, where do most 1970s Jap cars belong? In the first category, or in the second? Not a hard question. Here's a clue - in the second category. Now, think hard, its quiz time again, in which category do TRs or an MG or an older VDub belong????????? Mind you I'm probably absolutely wrong.......

PS The great thing about 1970s Jap cars, of course, is their in-built sel-junking mechanism powered by the Great God Rust.

Hey man... Dont think narrow, its up to the owner of the car to decide its fate. You know, there's a thing called sentimental value. When it comes to that, it doesn't matter whether the car is made in Japan, Britain or in Timbuktu.. if you do a search in this very own forum, you could find proof to that mate.

• Like 3

Hey retard do us all a favor and STFU ok? The age of a car and it's value means absolutely nothing to someone restoring it. A Lot of people restoring cars, both old high priced, rare ones and common everyday cars, don't do it because they are want to make a profit. They do it because they like the car. I'm not saying there aren't people out to restore it and sell it for a profit. There are plenty, but, there are also plenty of people who would rather spend a lot of money on their beat up old sedan, bringing it back to life instead of spending it on a new car. It's a personal preference, if someone wants too spend his money on putting an old car back on the road, who are you to judge? It's not your money for you to get all butt hurt right?

• Like 1

rameez quote your budget and i'll update you whether it's possible or not.

This is called "Doing marketing for someone" and it is HIGHLY recommended that you stop doing this.

I mean seriously, how many times do you need to be told?

Nissan 240Z - '69-'73

260Z - '74

280Z - '75-78

First gen Skyline GTR Hakosuka - '69-'72

Even 70s Sunny's are getting slow recognition in some classic circles.

And thats just the Nissan's coz that's my interests. I'm sure others can expand on other brands. You DO realize that the Lancer started getting a rep on rally racing with the 70s 1600 GSRs?

Dude, seriously.... Keep putting your foot in it like this, and no one will ever take you seriously. You'd be like Cali.