• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Tesla Motors - Cars That Will Change The World

Californikan

Lying? You're the one that's been doing that. The Model S doesn't start at $80,000 like you've been lying about all over this thread.

It retails at $71,000, and that's before the EV tax concession (that every EV gets) which brings the true starting price to down to $63,570........ http://www.teslamotors.com/models/design

And guess you haven't read up on things like financing, true ownership cost and guaranteed resale value, all designed to make it even more affordable ......... http://www.teslamotors.com/true-cost-of-ownership

Well.. Cali, Let's say the government waived off the taxes and other cost completely for electric cars, even with that I think its bit expensive for us Sri Lankans here, I think at least it should come around 40K to just to think about it.

Edited by kushan

Ah, it must be morning. The two monkeys have swung down from the trees. :)

Is that the best come back you have?

I'm gonna repeat the question... If Tesla Model S is a luxurious, energy efficient and as AFFORDABLE as you claim... why don't you buy one?????

• Like 3

@ Cali

After reading through your posts on this thread I get the feeling that you seem to think that Tesla's is on a cake-walk. Despite the highly focused marketing hype on electric cars, do you know why the ambitious project launched by Israeli company "Better Place" went into liquidation a couple of days back. Please read http://www.smh.com.au/business/carbon-economy/how-better-place-got-lost-20130527-2n7gp.html. See the sales ad contract statistics. Knowing the business acumen of Israelis (I mean Jews), it is really surprising how they lost this venture.

True, we are moving in the direction of electric vehicles but a lot needs to be done before EVs become acceptable to a wider market.

In that case, why were you so proud of a 50k car having higher sales numbers than a 80k car (Merc S-Class)?

And why did you, who was trying to be so snarky about me not reading up on financing a car that isn't even available in Asia, much less Sri Lanka (which is what autoLANKA caters to) try to claim that

a. It started at 71k

b. there is a further tax credit on it

This is clearly not knowing your own damn subject, despite all this 100% accurate claims.

Also I see there is a full failure to address this claim of YOURS that Tesla met its goals of making an affordable car. 50k is still not affordable. When it comes down to the price of a Toyota Corolla, THEN maybe it'll be affordable.

I'm still expecting a full formal apology for misleading the forum, a complete retraction on your 100% correct information claims, and apologies to everyone you claim is on a vendetta to bring disrepute to your 100% correct info claims.

Or I can just ding you a few warning points for trying to fight after posting incorrect info.

This is the post in question, which claims "Similarly priced", which is why we are talking about the true cost $80k car, the 85kwh model, not the CANCELED $50k model.

I must call into question why you keep screenshots of the site from what must be some time ago, when the current site has quite a different range. Are you trying to mislead other places with these prices claims of yours too, on cars which no longer exist as model options? These Signature models are no longer on the site either.

It's painfully obvious that you have no real understanding of the Model S pricing structure, and pricing history.

It's also painfully obvious that you have no real understanding of the various versions of the Model S including the ones that have come and gone, the battery, options, or the changes to the Model S lineup over the last few years.

You're just flailing around, grasping desperately at straws, and only making a fool out of yourself. Stop wasting my time and the forums time.

• Like 1

@ Cali

After reading through your posts on this thread I get the feeling that you seem to think that Tesla's is on a cake-walk. Despite the highly focused marketing hype on electric cars, do you know why the ambitious project launched by Israeli company "Better Place" went into liquidation a couple of days back. Please read http://www.smh.com.au/business/carbon-economy/how-better-place-got-lost-20130527-2n7gp.html. See the sales ad contract statistics. Knowing the business acumen of Israelis (I mean Jews), it is really surprising how they lost this venture.

True, we are moving in the direction of electric vehicles but a lot needs to be done before EVs become acceptable to a wider market.

Interesting article Rumesh. Thanks for posting.

It hasn't been a cakewalk for Tesla either. The past year has gone quite well for them, but in previous years they've come close to death on several occasions.

I'm gonna repeat the question... If Tesla Model S is a luxurious, energy efficient and as AFFORDABLE as you claim... why don't you buy one?????
I asked you why you didnt put a down-payment on such a electric/hybrid car if you were such a big promoter of them.. So why didnt you?

It's amazing how these two posts are almost a year apart, yet these two monkeys are still thinking alike, acting alike, talking alike and writing alike. :)

Edited by Californikan

Well.. Cali, Let's say the government waived off the taxes and other cost completely for electric cars, even with that I think its bit expensive for us Sri Lankans here, I think at least it should come around 40K to just to think about it.

Agreed. I think Tesla would sell in small numbers in SL, but the Nissan Leaf would sell much better.

It's amazing how these two posts are almost a year apart, yet these two monkeys are still thinking alike, acting alike, talking alike and writing alike. :)

good morning retard.

so i'm gonna repeat the question (which you have been so unsuccessfully trying to avoid).

If Tesla Model S is so affordable as you and your puppet master claims, why don't you buy one??

• Like 1

It's painfully obvious that you have no real understanding of the Model S pricing structure, and pricing history.

It's also painfully obvious that you have no real understanding of the various versions of the Model S including the ones that have come and gone, the battery, options, or the changes to the Model S lineup over the last few years.

You're just flailing around, grasping desperately at straws, and only making a fool out of yourself. Stop wasting my time and the forums time.

Of course I don't know the pricing structures and histories. I'm in a country that doesn't even have the car on offer. But You DO live in such a country and ARE interested in it, so what is YOUR excuse for getting your numbers wrong so consistently?

good morning retard.

so i'm gonna repeat the question (which you have been so unsuccessfully trying to avoid).

If Tesla Model S is so affordable as you and your puppet master claims, why don't you buy one??

Why do people who don't need a new car, not buy a new car, even if it is affordable?

The answer is obvious, but Crosswind cannot figure it out.

Hmmmmm.....maybe they don't buy that new car because they don't need a new car. :)

• Like 1

I asked you why you didnt put a down-payment on such a electric/hybrid car if you were such a big promoter of them.. So why didnt you?

Quite amazing how similar the lack of logic is with these two ......

One monkey posted that if a car is affordable, then it should be purchased (even if it isn't needed). :)

The other monkey posted that if a car is written about or reported on ('promoted'), then a down payment should be put on it. :)

• Like 2

Awww.. cute.. its like the fox who found the unreachable grapes too sour for his taste...

But if you really are the EV advocate that you pretend to be, I would imagine you to be one of the first people at the tesla factory placing an order.. I guess you just dont put your money where your mouth is

Edited by Watchman

But if you really are the EV advocate that you pretend to be, I would imagine you to be one of the first people at the tesla factory placing an order.. I guess you just dont put your money where your mouth is

After one year on this thread, Monkey #2 still can't figure it out.....

Q: Why do people who don't need a new car, not just place an order for a new car?

A: They don't place an order for a new car because they don't need a new car. :)

Q: Why do people who don't need a new car, not just place an order for a new car?

A: They don't place an order for a new car because they don't need a new car. :)

And it took you a year to come up with that? Anyway its a legit sounding excuse..

Since you're in the sharing mood why dont you share with us your international standard forum and your nickname there..

• Like 1

I admire you cali... somehow you manage to find a legitimate sounding reason.. even if it takes 3 days to do it.. and I really enjoyed seeing "new car" instead of 'Tesla Model S"

so what's the car you currently own? a tricycle?

Members,

I received under by Email.

Tesla Model S Sales Much Higher Than Similarly Priced Cars from Mercedes, BMW, & Audi May 18, 2013 Nathan

It’s near impossible to deny the success that Tesla Motors has been having as of late. The Model S has been selling extremely well. Its stock has been climbing to new heights, it has turned a profit, it has announced that it will be repaying its DOE loan five years early, and the company is gearing up for the release of several new models over the next few years. And now, new data from LMC Automotive is providing a good visual for that success — showing that Tesla’s Model S is selling considerably better than similarly priced cars from Mercedes, BMW, and Audi.

During the first quarter of this year, the Tesla Model S sold better than “any of the similarly priced gasoline-powered cars from the top three German luxury brands, according to data from LMC Automotive.” Roughly 4,750 people bought a Model S EV, compared to the 3,000 or so that bought Mercedes’ top-level sedan. Obviously, though, this isn’t an exact comparison. As CNN Money notes: “Actual selling prices for the Mercedes S-class sedan start toward the upper end of the Tesla Model S price range, according to the auto pricing Web site TrueCar.com, while prices for the other cars are at the lower end. And nobody gets a $7,500 federal tax credit for a buying an S-class or an A8. Also, Mercedes-Benz, BMW and Audi each sell a full range of cars and SUVs while Tesla buyers have only one model to choose from.”

Regardless of any of that, though, it’s an impressive feat — Tesla has carved itself out a significant chunk of the market in just a decade. With the release of its SUV — the Model X — next year and the release of its more-affordable 4th production model sometime around 2017, the future looks very bright for the company.

In related news, Tesla’s Model S was recently called “possibly the best car that we have ever tested” by Consumer Reports — achieving a score of 99/100. The only other car to achieve such a high score was the Lexus LS460 back in 2009. The only criticism was the inability to drive extremely long distances without recharging or being able to recharge very quickly on such a drive.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Edited by Sylvi
  • Like 1

Guys! I got a smart idea. Ever thought of the consequence of having all the cars in SL swapped for Tesla Model S through a buy-back deal or something? Then everyone of us will return home to plug in our cars to the grid at 6 in the evening. We would not want our Hon. Electricity Minister to hear the idea and pi$$ in her pants but rather opt for for solar panels on our rooftops, windowsills and every nook and corner where there is space towards the sky. Then we would be working in the night, charging our cars in the day time and go to sleep at the same time as Cali! How about that?

• Like 1

Guys! I got a smart idea. Ever thought of the consequence of having all the cars in SL swapped for Tesla Model S through a buy-back deal or something? Then everyone of us will return home to plug in our cars to the grid at 6 in the evening. We would not want our Hon. Electricity Minister to hear the idea and pi$$ in her pants but rather opt for for solar panels on our rooftops, windowsills and every nook and corner where there is space towards the sky. Then we would be working in the night, charging our cars in the day time and go to sleep at the same time as Cali! How about that?

Awesome! :D :D

Rumesh88,

Your idea it is a feasible project. But with high duty paid almost 30% of the newly registered vehicles after duty was raised. It will be still cheaper to run on Gasoline vehicles. Last sentence of your working in the night sleeping during the day.?

Solar panels cost is prohibitive. Relative of mine imported spending 1/2 Million Rupees for high capability panel from USA. Made in USA. Did last only for 4 months the controller gave problems. This entire system was sold in Texas, His saving was about 2 units a day which was connected to grid supply. His monthly domestic bill was only 400 units.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

That sounded legit to you guys? Complete horseshit, like everything else he types out. There could be many reasons for him not getting a new car, but those ain't it. He just can't say what his actual reason is coz he'd be shooting himself in the foot.

And I'm still waiting for the apologies for his 100% accurate infomation posting claim. Doesn't even know the prices of the cars he is trying to sell.

Members,

I received under by Email.

Tesla Motors' cut out the middleman approach could spell trouble in North Carolina

Published May 25, 2013

Associated Press

http://www.foxnews.com/slideshow/leisure/2011/10/03/tesla-model-s/?intcmp=related' title="Tesla Model S">

Tesla Model S

$57,400 electric sedan goes on sale in Summer 2012.

RALEIGH, N.C. – Tesla Motors is fighting a bill in North Carolina that would effectively ban the company from selling its electric cars in the state, pitting it against auto dealers who say the car maker has an unfair advantage selling directly to consumers online.

It's the latest such battle for California-based Tesla, which like other car manufacturers must navigate a patchwork of state laws dictating how its vehicles can be sold. Nearly all states -- 48 -- require manufacturers to sell their vehicles through dealerships to ensure the companies don't undercut their own network of franchised dealers, according to the National Automobile Dealers Association.

Tesla says it is cutting out the middleman by allowing people to view different options in a showroom, but then ordering the car direct from the company online rather than buying from a salesman. That approach also allows it to bypass state laws regarding franchised dealers, which have been in place for decades. However, lobbying groups say franchise dealers invest more locally and provide customer service that Tesla cannot.

The bill in North Carolina was mostly routine, simply updating the law governing the relationship between automakers and dealers. But it also changes the law to subject electronic sales to the same scrutiny. It has been unanimously approved by the Senate; the company is set to sit down with the state lobbying group for dealers, the North Carolina Automobile Dealers Association, to discuss a compromise that both sides say is unlikely to be reached. .

Tesla doesn't yet have a showroom in North Carolina, where it has sold about 80 cars to date. The company recently announced the first quarterly profit in its 10-year history, around the same time Consumer Reports gave its Model S electric sedan a near-perfect rating.

Tesla currently operates 29 stores and galleries across 14 states and Washington, D.C. Customers can order a car online at a sales location or at home but not at galleries, which exist purely to showcase cars in states where auto dealers have launched suits or state law restricts the company from discussing sales in person.

Colorado was the first state to take action against the manufacturer's stores, passing legislation in 2010 that halts their expansion. Since then, Minnesota lawmakers unsuccessfully pushed for a similar measure. In New York and Massachusetts, dealers have unsuccessfully sued to shut down the dealer's stores. In Virginia, a judge recently rejected Tesla's request for an exception to laws that prevent manufacturers from operating dealerships in most cases.

But the automaker can sell in every state because transactions legally take place in California. The North Carolina law, however, prevents customers in the state from making electronic purchases directly through manufacturers, said Diarmuid O'Connell, Tesla's vice president of business development.

"This would be the first place to my knowledge that Internet-based communications with our company would be circumscribed," he said.

The argument from dealers in North Carolina has mirrored those from the national association and in other states: franchise dealers invest more locally, showing commitment to communities and customer service that Tesla can't match.

"It's a consumer protection," said Bob Glaser, president of the NCADA, "and why we say that is a dealer who has invested a significant amount of capital in a community is more committed to taking care of that area's customers."

Tesla has stepped up its advocacy in North Carolina with a Web campaign and a recent showing of its Model S just outside the legislature. The demonstration drew lawmakers, their pages and passersby, who almost uniformly marveled at the touchscreen dashboard and sleek design of the car.

Sen. Ellie Kinnaird, D-Orange, lauded the ingenuity of the car after watching it automatically start up when she sat down, but she said she doesn't regret joining the 47 other senators who voted unanimously for the bill.

"Dealerships are one of those basic industries that are the roots of a small town," she said. "The model convinced me that, while this is visionary, the reality is it has to evolve to a local presence."

Some have suggested a compromise that would allow Tesla a certain quota of direct sales without going through franchised dealers. But that isn't fair to other manufacturers, said Sen. Tom Apodaca, R- Henderson and the bill's sponsor.

"You can't cut out a category for a brand new company when you've got Kia, Hyundai -- they're in here full blast -- (but) Maserati, Ferrari (and) Rolls-Royce?" he said. "They have dealer presence in North Carolina, and I know they probably don't sell 80 cars."

Apodaca received a state-maximum $8,000 in contributions from the 7,000-member NCADA in 2012. He noted steady contributions from the industry date back years, and he's a top Republican with a pro-business reputation.

Tesla says that its time-intensive customer service model won't translate well to franchise dealers and that most consumers would laugh at the notion that they're better served by the existing system. O'Connell said the dealers' true interest is maintaining total control over retail.

The bill was initially pitched as a way to protect consumers from online transactions that don't offer protections, "but we saw through that veil and the reality has emerged," he said.

Francine Lafontaine, a University of Michigan economist who specializes in franchising, said the laws in place contributed to the collapse a decade ago of web-based manufacturer Build-to-Order, whose founder, Scott Painter, dreamed of selling cheap and customizable cars directly to consumers.

"For someone who is kind of in business and looking at business models, it's not obvious the car industry is so different, but it's the only industry retail-wise that's protected to this extent," she said.

Those laws are likely to stay in place, considering franchise dealers account for about 20 percent of the sales-tax base at the state level and spend millions a year lobbying at the federal level, Lafontaine said. Tesla has shown resiliency, but the company shouldn't expect the roadblocks at the state level to let up easily, she added.

"I'm kind of pleased that Tesla has gotten as far as it's gotten," Lafontaine said. "In some cases I guess it's because it's electric. But they will need that national solution."

The company could try to lobby for a federal law or a ruling from federal courts that would apply across the U.S., O'Connell said. That could include making a case based on the Constitution's Commerce Clause, which says only Congress can regulate interstate commerce. Courts have also held that it forbids discriminating against out-of-state companies.

Steve Schwinn, a professor of constitutional law at the John Marshall Law School, said such a case could prove difficult. He pointed to a 2001 decision in U.S. Circuit Court in a case involving Ford and the state of Texas. The court rejected Ford's claim that the state's law preventing the company from selling used cars through its own website violated the Commerce Clause.

In this case, Tesla would have to prove North Carolina's law discriminates specifically against the automaker, Schwinn said.

"If it is, and it's enough at Tesla, and Tesla is an out-of-state actor, and there's evidence that the legislature discriminated specifically against them, then there's a chance that the landscape might change," he said. "That strikes me as a lot of ifs."

Sylvi Wijesinghe.