• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Tesla Motors - Cars That Will Change The World

Californikan

It is interesting to note that Tesla is battling out to find a replacement for the age old gas station pump. Tesla may be providing a free service for now but the day would come for them to place a premium over the existing electricity cost to charge a vehicle. Does this make a business case? Introducing a successful EV is not just a matter of designing a good vehicle and finding a substitute for the standard gas pump but requires a total paradigm shift in the transport sector. As the technology stands today, I get the feeling that EVs are taking us back to the days of the horse drawn carriages when people had to take frequent breaks to feed the horses. I would rather dream for the day a fuel station attendant would come to the vehicle to pour in electrons and photons in separate liquid form from a nozzle into my battery.

It is interesting to note that Tesla is battling out to find a replacement for the age old gas station pump. Tesla may be providing a free service for now but the day would come for them to place a premium over the existing electricity cost to charge a vehicle. Does this make a business case? Introducing a successful EV is not just a matter of designing a good vehicle and finding a substitute for the standard gas pump but requires a total paradigm shift in the transport sector. As the technology stands today, I get the feeling that EVs are taking us back to the days of the horse drawn carriages when people had to take frequent breaks to feed the horses. I would rather dream for the day a fuel station attendant would come to the vehicle to pour in electrons and photons in separate liquid form from a nozzle into my battery.

Capacitor technology might provide an alternative someday as mentioned here. A teen provided a proof of concept as mentioned here, but there is no indication whether it would scale it up...

Edited by Kavvz

Capacitor technology might provide an alternative someday as mentioned here. A teen provided a proof of concept as mentioned here, but there is no indication whether it would scale it up...

kawas,

As you have posted the above to educate new developments to the A/L forum I thought l will post what I know about capacitor.

Capacitor is like a battery they get charged and dump the charge instantaneously to a unit which is switched.

During my electrical study days early 1960s we had extensive study of capacitors.

Their history if I am not mistaken the capacitor was developed few hundred of years back as the same time storage battery developed.

A camera's electronic flash uses a charged capacitor. Then battery charges up the flash's capacitor over several seconds,With a electronic circuit,

Then the capacitor dumps the full charge into the flash tube almost instantly. then the charge is switched to the flash.To ignite the flash

I read this system few days back in a web page will try to find out and post to A/L forum.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Edited by Sylvi

Multiple uses of the Supercharger does not harm the Model S battery because the Supercharger computer and the Model S battery computer work together to protect the battery during charging. Also, since most Supercharger stations are solar powered, Tesla pays nothing for electricity and can provide free electricity "forever", as they have promised.

The reasoning behind the Supercharger network is that most people driving long distance can drive about 3 to 4 hours before needing to stop for a break of 20+ minutes. A Tesla owner can easily start their journey in the morning at 8am, drive non-stop until lunch and charge their car while they have lunch. Then, after lunch, they can keep driving until dinner, charge their car during dinner, and keep going if they want.

Potentially driving range in a day is at least 1200+ km (400+ km x 3), with no hassles or wasted time charging the car.

closeup.jpg

Musk is a big fan of capacitors, but has said they need several big breakthroughs before they become viable.

In the meantime, Tesla's next battery technology looks like it could be a combination metal air / lithium ion battery ......... http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1083705_will-future-tesla-electric-cars-use-metal-air-batteries

diagram-from-tesla-motors-patent-applica

@Cali

Although EVs and renewable energy sources will be developed to reach the mass market in the future (distant rather than near), I want to point out that your prophesy of "free solar energy in future" is totally misleading. This is exactly what some of the scientists and politicians did when the nuclear power was first discovered.

How can Tesla provide free energy even if they use solar panels to power their super chargers? What about the overcast days and nights? Do they provide motels free for people to stay until the sun comes up? Do you know the area for a solar panel of 120kw capacity? Now if you expect the people to plan their charging time to coincide with their mealtime that would create a long queue outside the supercharger stations because of the peak demand. How can Tesla address that?. I do admire your quest for technology and news in the area of EVs but please do not try to mislead the forum readership!

Edited by Rumesh88
  • Like 1

Members,

I got this from a Indian web site.

Data Field

Data

Assumption

Capacity of Solar Panel

2kW

Rooftop Area requred

24 sq. m/267 sq. feet

Number of Solar Units produced per year KWhr/year

This is the safe assumption

Capex

Rs. 4,50,000 (Rs. 0.45 million)

Rs. 220/wp without battery

Subsidy

Rs.1,50,000

33% available

Tax Benefit on Accelerated Depreciation

Rs. 1,20,000

80% depreciation and company is at 33% tax bracket

Savings

Number of Diesel Units saved kWhr/year

Number of Working Days = 300

Unit Price of Power from diesel generator

Rs. 15

Savings from avoiding usage of diesel

Rs. 36,000

Payback

After taking into subsidy and tax benefit on account of accelerated depreciation

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

@Cali

Although EVs and renewable energy sources will develop to reach the mass market in the future (distant rather than near), I want to point out that your prophesy of "free solar energy in future" is totally misleading. This is exactly what some of the scientists and politicians did when nuclear power was first discovered.

How can Tesla provide free energy even if they use solar panels to power their super chargers? What about the overcast days and nights? Do they provide motels free for people to stay until the sun comes up? Do you know the area for a solar panel of 120kw capacity? Now if you expect the people to plan their charging time to coincide with their mealtime that would create a long queue outside the supercharger stations because of the peak demand. How can Tesla address that?. I do admire your quest for technology and news in the area of EVs but please do not try to mislead the forum readership!

Rumesh, please read more carefully and think things through...... you will see there is no misleading going on.

1) I wrote that the Tesla and Musk have stated that the Superchargers are free for Tesla owners to use "forever". It's on the video on the previous page. This is a completely different idea from what you wrote ........"free solar energy in future".

2) The Supercharger uses a grid tied solar system so darkness and overcast days don't affect the ability to charge . Tesla reports over the course of a year, the solar canopy produces more energy than the Superchargers use so it's a 'net positive' system.

3) Your point about the potential for queues is a good one. However up to now it just has not been a problem. Even busy Supercharger stations have had enough Superchargers installed.

Rumesh, please read more carefully and think things through...... you will see there is no misleading going on.

1) I wrote that the Tesla and Musk have stated that the Superchargers are free for Tesla owners to use "forever". It's on the video on the previous page. This is a completely different idea from what you wrote ........"free solar energy in future".

2) The Supercharger uses a grid tied solar system so darkness and overcast days don't affect the ability to charge . Tesla reports over the course of a year, the solar canopy produces more energy than the Superchargers use so it's a 'net positive' system.

3) Your point about the potential for queues is a good one. However up to now it just has not been a problem. Even busy Supercharger stations have had enough Superchargers installed.

1. My apologies if my comment implied "free energy for all forever". But it is impossible for Tesla to provide charging free of cost forever for all the cars that they sell. Just work out the investment cost.

2. Just my point. Solar power is only complementing the grid power and hence the cost. Did you do a calculation on the canopy area needed to provide 120kw and to be "net positive"?

3. To do this with solar where do they find the road side space to cover several football fields?

• Like 2

1. My apologies if my comment implied "free energy for all forever". But it is impossible for Tesla to provide charging free of cost forever for all the cars that they sell. Just work out the investment cost.

2. Just my point. Solar power is only complementing the grid power and hence the cost. Did you do a calculation on the canopy area needed to provide 120kw and to be "net positive"?

3. To do this with solar where do they find the road side space to cover several football fields?

Forget it. This is like talking sense to a hardcore religious extremist. This guy is an extremist in a different way... an industrial extremist!

Like any extremist, this guy is a danger to the society.

• Like 2

Forget it. This is like talking sense to a hardcore religious extremist. This guy is an extremist in a different way... an industrial extremist!

Like any extremist, this guy is a danger to the society.

Not anymore, not to this society.

Tesla Model S Vs BMW M5 - Drag

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_gS2KZmnbg

Skeptical of the result though..the BMW seems to have a remarkably bad start. But good to see new technology performing well and giving some potentially serious rivalry to the combustion, finally

So did hare and the tortoise! :mosking:

Members,

I received under by Email.

http://pinterest.com/futureinmotion/'>

Electric Car Charging: It's All In the Cloud

The build out of public charging stations across America has been nothing short of phenomenal. From a few hundred nearly-abandoned charge stations in California, hold-overs from the 1990s, the network of new charging stations has exploded in the last two years to 6,000 and is expected to reach 7,400 units by year's end. In April alone installations grew at a rate of 9%.

The early leaders have been ChargePoint (formerly Coloumb Technologies) and ECOtality (Blink chargers), boosted along by a sizable federal grant to help seed the industry. Some of these chargers are 'dumb' in the sense that they are simply refined, weather-proof outdoor plugs. The rest, however, are networked to enable better management and control of individual units. To access them, you need to be a member of that particular network, which often requires carrying a special smart card or keychain fob to open the charge port. The network also handles who gets billed for the service: the store offering free charging, the employer offering it as an employee perk, the owner of the EV.

These systems are a great asset to the EV world, but according to Greenlots CEO Ron Mahabir, they also don't allow for any flexibility on the part of the charger owner. Once you install, say a ChargePoint charger, you are committed to using their system.

Greenlots solution is their new SKY v3.0, which the company describes as a...

"…comprehensive electric vehicle (EV) network management platform for site hosts and EV drivers. Offering innovative features for network management, billing, fleet management and smart grid/utility optimization, SKY v3.0 integrates with leading charging station manufacturers to enable, slow, medium and fast charging systems. "

Mahabir sat down with EV World's publisher, Bill Moore, last week to talk about his company and their new open source, cloud-based management system that can be used on chargers from manufacturers like ABB and Eaton. There's also a brand new smart phone app that eliminates the need to carry a smart card. It finds the nearest charging station and then provides access, handling any billing through its 'cloud' service.

The two-part video of that Skype conversation is hosted below. To learn more about Greenlots, visit: www.greenlots.com.

Times Article Viewed: 1909

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Members,

I received under by Email.

Monday, June 3, 2013 Elon Musk: The ‘Hyperloop’ Would Be 10 Times Cheaper Than High-Speed Rail
spbs1873.jpg

In an appearance on CNBC, Tesla Motors and SpaceX CEO Elon Musk said a “Hyperloop” — a futuristic new kind of solar powered mass transit — could be built for just 10% of the cost of the high-speed rail project currently underway in California.

While details at this point are a little sketchy, we think Musk has in mind something like a

along the lines of the Moonbase alpha travel tubes as featured in The late Gerry Anderson's TV series from the 1970's Space 1999.

"What you want is something that never crashes, that's at least twice as fast as a plane, that's solar powered and that leaves right when you arrive, so there is no waiting for a specific departure time," Musk says

Musk first revealed this concept in July 2012 at a PandoDaily event in Santa Monica, California.

"You would go from downtown LA to downtown San Francisco in under 30 minutes. It would cost you much less than an air ticket than any other mode of transport. I think we could actually make it self-powering if you put solar panels on it, you generate more power than you would consume in the system. There's a way to store the power so it would run 24/7 without using batteries. Yes, this is possible, absolutely"

During the CNBC interview Musk said he would not elaborate on his conception of the Hyperloop until after June 20, when another announcement regarding Tesla is planned.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

'Hyperloop', like 'supercharger' is another one of those fancy words of Elon Musk. It's just another LRT system, which uses magnetic levitation. Chinese Maglev system does about 500km/h from what I know. Google says it should be around 500km from SF to LA (as the crow flies). So with improvements to the available technology and making the train smaller, one can easily achieve 1000km/h, which is needed to travel from frisco to LA in 1/2 hour. Only difference between the existing system and this one is, it seems to be solar powered.

'Hyperloop', like 'supercharger' is another one of those fancy words of Elon Musk. It's just another LRT system, which uses magnetic levitation. Chinese Maglev system does about 500km/h from what I know. Google says it should be around 500km from SF to LA (as the crow flies). So with improvements to the available technology and making the train smaller, one can easily achieve 1000km/h, which is needed to travel from frisco to LA in 1/2 hour. Only difference between the existing system and this one is, it seems to be solar powered.

Crosswind,

I do not try to dispute your post. Is the system "hyperloop: is it a train or some thing else.

To my knowledge it is a method of transportation.

Can this transportation method be called a train which you are referring.

Railway to my knowledge runs on Rails. Please explain this.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Crosswind,

I do not try to dispute your post. Is the system "hyperloop: is it a train or some thing else.

To my knowledge it is a method of transportation.

Can this transportation method be called a train which you are referring.

Railway to my knowledge runs on Rails. Please explain this.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Well... the word 'train' has now evolved from 'large number of connected compartments that run on rails' to 'compartments that float"... that's what magnetic levitation trains are all about. although there are rails, these trains don't touch them. they levitate (float) on top....

u can call this one a bus if you like... but the principle remains same.