• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

121 Rpm Does Not Drop Quickly

MyCar

Question

Hi Guys,

I recently bought a 121 – 2003/BN/1.5/manual/KM200000done. It does around 14-15 in city limit (not in heavy traffic), still could not try outstation and pump 90 OCT. My issue is when I shift the gear from one to another, RPM goes up a bit and steadily goes down to normal again. Eg: Shift the gear from 1 to 2, (I press the pedal upto RPM is 2000 position) and when I engage the clutch RPM goes up to around 3000 and comes down. Is this an issue ?

19 answers to this question

I think you mean when you disengage the clutch, by pressing the pedal. The load is taken off the engine, thus it obviously spins faster, and then settles back down again once the load is applied (clutch engaged after shifting into the next gear). Try letting go of the accelerator when you press the clutch, and then gradually ease on the gas and ease off the clutch to smoothly pick up from the next gear

I think you mean when you disengage the clutch, by pressing the pedal. The load is taken off the engine, thus it obviously spins faster, and then settles back down again once the load is applied (clutch engaged after shifting into the next gear). Try letting go of the accelerator when you press the clutch, and then gradually ease on the gas and ease off the clutch to smoothly pick up from the next gear

Thanks mate for the reply. NO it is not disengage, when i engage clutch RPM goes up. But at that time, i let the accelerator pedal off. To be clear I do not press the accelerator pedal when i engage the clutch.

I think terra is right. Either you're letting go of the accelerator a bit too late or your foot is a bit too heavy on the accelerator. Go easy on the accelerator and let go as you start to press the clutch.

One other thing I think you have got mixed up is that the clutch is disengaged when you press the clutch pedal and engaged when you let go. So terra is right when he said "disengage the clutch".

Wild guess. Did you own a car with a smaller engine earlier? If so, time to change your footworks a little bit since this engine revs quickly than your previous.

Try to get off the foot bit earlier (somewhere like 0.25 - 0.5 second) from the accelerator before shifting.

Wild guess. Did you own a car with a smaller engine earlier? If so, time to change your footworks a little bit since this engine revs quickly than your previous.

Try to get off the foot bit earlier (somewhere like 0.25 - 0.5 second) from the accelerator before shifting.

you are right mate.. Used it 4 years ago.. did not stay in SL for last 4years... I tried your suggestion, it works fine. thought something wrong with the engine.. I ll try today as well and let you know the update tomorrow.. thanks all for reply...

Edited by MyCar

Hi Guys,

I recently bought a 121 – 2003/BN/1.5/manual/KM200000done. It does around 14-15 in city limit (not in heavy traffic), still could not try outstation and pump 90 OCT. My issue is when I shift the gear from one to another, RPM goes up a bit and steadily goes down to normal again. Eg: Shift the gear from 1 to 2, (I press the pedal upto RPM is 2000 position) and when I engage the clutch RPM goes up to around 3000 and comes down. Is this an issue ?

'MyCar',

I f I am not mistaken some times this type of driving will lead into clutch slip.

Can be clutch is wasted it is time to replace.

Try this test what I do mostly.

Stop your car movement engage your top gear when the engine is running pull your hand brake.

Press the accelerator pedal until engine reaches 2000 RPM. keeping engine to that RPM then release the clutch pedal normal way like when driving.

Engine will stop. If the clutch is not slipping.

If the engine continue to run it is time to replace the clutch plate.

To be 100% accurate. I did this test just before I posted above on the two vehicles one is mine and another on a Japanese vehicle.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Thanks mate for the reply. NO it is not disengage, when i engage clutch RPM goes up. But at that time, i let the accelerator pedal off. To be clear I do not press the accelerator pedal when i engage the clutch.

What is your idle engine rpm? Does this happen when you engage from neutral to a gear as well or only when you disengage from a gear and go to neutral or another gear?

RPM will go up a when you press the clutch while you moving. But if you feel the engine is holding high rpms a bit too long its time to look at your ICV circuit and MAF. I don't think the 121 has an electronic throttle does it?

The ICV can get a bit sticky due to carbon build up.

Either that or your idle speed is set a little too high. You can adjust it from the butterfly adjustment screw on the throttle body

Edited by The Don

'MyCar',

I f I am not mistaken some times this type of driving will lead into clutch slip.

Can be clutch is wasted it is time to replace.

Try this test what I do mostly.

Stop your car movement engage your top gear when the engine is running pull your hand brake.

Press the accelerator pedal until engine reaches 2000 RPM. keeping engine to that RPM then release the clutch pedal normal way like when driving.

Engine will stop. If the clutch is not slipping.

If the engine continue to run it is time to replace the clutch plate.

To be 100% accurate. I did this test just before I posted above on the two vehicles one is mine and another on a Japanese vehicle.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Thanks for your advice,, but i dont think it is something do with clutch as when i release the clutch RPM drops and I do not feel any clutch slippery.

What is your idle engine rpm? Does this happen when you engage from neutral to a gear as well or only when you disengage from a gear and go to neutral or another gear?

RPM will go up a when you press the clutch while you moving. But if you feel the engine is holding high rpms a bit too long its time to look at your ICV circuit and MAF. I don't think the 121 has an electronic throttle does it?

The ICV can get a bit sticky due to carbon build up.

Either that or your idle speed is set a little too high. You can adjust it from the butterfly adjustment screw on the throttle body

What is your idle engine rpm? It is under 1000 with A/C on...

Does this happen when you engage from neutral to a gear as well ? NO..

or only when you disengage from a gear and go to neutral or another gear? YES...

My one does not have an electronic throttle.... any thoughts...

Yeah, check your idle speed without A/C first. It should be 750. If its higher, this can happen.

If that is OK, then you will have to move to what The Don mentioned.

What is your idle engine rpm? It is under 1000 with A/C on...

Does this happen when you engage from neutral to a gear as well ? NO..

or only when you disengage from a gear and go to neutral or another gear? YES...

My one does not have an electronic throttle.... any thoughts...

Just to try Terra's theory can you try running without AC for a bit and see if you still have the same issue.

Hi Guys,

Just to clarify.. Would you say that you engage the clutch when you press it down to the floor or after you let it go ? (I know it's a silly question.. but just needed to make it clear from you, don't mind me asking this from you, sometimes people get it confused)

Only reason i can think of is you are taking the load off the engine while the clutch is engaged so RPM could go up slightly, I think that's normal..and as razordj suggested, letting go of the acc. few milliseconds before pressing down the clutch should do the trick..

Or if what you meant is the other way around then as Sylvi Suggested.. It could be a slipping cluch...

Edited by Fixzit