• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Buying a new smartphone

Zambo

Davy.. There is a rumour that an updated nexus 4 will be out in May with a possible unveiling at the Google I/O conference. Why not wait till then and see? Even if it doesn't meet ur fancy surely if a new model is released the price of the older one should drop at least a little. Please note that is not a brand new model of nexus but just an update of the nexus 4. New nexus phones are usually released somewhere around Q4 of every year.

Hit the link below for more info:

http://www.gsmarena.com/google_rumored_to_launch_an_updated_nexus_4_with_lte_support-news-5894.php

Interesting... Thank you YRD. If this is true, they would be addressing one of my biggest concerns, which is the absence of an expansion slot for memory. I guess it wouldn't hurt to wait a couple of weeks and see.

Interesting... Thank you YRD. If this is true, they would be addressing one of my biggest concerns, which is the absence of an expansion slot for memory. I guess it wouldn't hurt to wait a couple of weeks and see.

If not you can always buy any other android device such as s4, s3, xperia z, htc one etc n root it n then flash a stock android rom onto it..

If not you can always buy any other android device such as s4, s3, xperia z, htc one etc n root it n then flash a stock android rom onto it..

If not for my budget restrictions, I would go for a Xperia Z without hesitation, but I'm afraid I have a bit of a strict budget. The Nexus 4 luckily falls within my budget (if stretched a little) and it's a great phone according to reviews.

Edited:

I meant Xperia Z, not XPeria P. Sorry about that.

Edited by Davy

If not for my budget restrictions, I would go for a Xperia P without hesitation, but I'm afraid I have a bit of a strict budget. The Nexus 4 luckily falls within my budget (if stretched a little) and it's a great phone according to reviews.

Alright cool.. Good luck with ur purchase and pls update the thread with any findings u have once u get it.. Cheers

Alright cool.. Good luck with ur purchase and pls update the thread with any findings u have once u get it.. Cheers

Will sure do mate. Thanks again!

PS: I meant Xperia Z in the previous post and not Xperia P. The P can be purchased for a little over 30k I guess.

Looking to buy a phone myself and I also have my eyes on the Google Nexus 4. Went through several reviews and I think it's a pretty good phone for the price although I'm not a LG fan, having used a Sony Ericsson for the past 6 years. My first preference was to go for a Xperia P (given my budget) but it seems like I can get my hands on a Nexus 4 if I stretch my budget just a little.

How did you get yours down? A local advertising site showed me that they're available here for around 50,000 or so. Any advice/comments from your experience with the Nexus 4? Appreciate if you can share a few details, being a current user. :) Thanks!

I switched from an Xperia too :)

I didn't get mine down, I went to US and got it. Even then, since my google account is linked to SL, and the Credit cards linked to my Google Wallet is SL based, can't buy, so I had Madmax buy it with his account, and paid him the money (make sure that the "link device to this account" check box is ticked off)

I've only had the phone part working over the weekend (had to get a Micro SIM), but I love the thing. Fast, fluid, great interface. Having 2G of RAM and Project Butter, and a quad core Krait, this thing just flies. No lag anywhere. Tons of space without any bloatware (got the 16GB). Of course, lack of bloat also means its pretty barebones right out the bat. The Xperia did include some pretty good software for free too, like the office suite and the enterprise email and stuff. Also, there is nothing to install on the PC, where the Sony had PC Companion software.

The good thing is, you can select the software. The bad thing is, you might have to pay for it. What the heck, you save so much money on the phone, it might not matter. Of course, there is tons of free software too.

Guys,

Did anyone got down a mobile phone thru eBay? Do i have to go collect it from colombo or will i be able to collect it outside colombo, lets say, kandy?? Coz 1 item i orderd from ebay (not a phone) got held at kandy post office n i was able to collect it from there.

For mobiles you have to get approval from TRC and i donno whethere a TRC branch is available at kandy :)

Thanks.

Guys,

Did anyone got down a mobile phone thru eBay? Do i have to go collect it from colombo or will i be able to collect it outside colombo, lets say, kandy?? Coz 1 item i orderd from ebay (not a phone) got held at kandy post office n i was able to collect it from there.

For mobiles you have to get approval from TRC and i donno whethere a TRC branch is available at kandy :)

Thanks.

Anonymous, please update this thread when you have more info as I too like to know what the procedure is to import a phone because as you say written approval must be obtained from TRC for this.

Guys,

Thanks.

Well there is no TRC in Kandy. Kandy customs office will give you a form which you need to submitt to TRC colombo and get an approval to release the phone. AFAIK you'll have to pay very little admin fee for TRC + some couple of thousands to get the job done at TRC..

Anonymous, please update this thread when you have more info as I too like to know what the procedure is to import a phone because as you say written approval must be obtained from TRC for this.
Well there is no TRC in Kandy. Kandy customs office will give you a form which you need to submitt to TRC colombo and get an approval to release the phone. AFAIK you'll have to pay very little admin fee for TRC + some couple of thousands to get the job done at TRC..

I know a person who bought a phone through eBay, i'll ask from him

I know a person who bought a phone through eBay, i'll ask from him

Thanks guys. MkX pls update me when you get the info from the person.

I didn't get mine down, I went to US and got it. Even then, since my google account is linked to SL, and the Credit cards linked to my Google Wallet is SL based, can't buy, so I had Madmax buy it with his account, and paid him the money (make sure that the "link device to this account" check box is ticked off)

I've only had the phone part working over the weekend (had to get a Micro SIM), but I love the thing. Fast, fluid, great interface. Having 2G of RAM and Project Butter, and a quad core Krait, this thing just flies. No lag anywhere. Tons of space without any bloatware (got the 16GB). Of course, lack of bloat also means its pretty barebones right out the bat. The Xperia did include some pretty good software for free too, like the office suite and the enterprise email and stuff. Also, there is nothing to install on the PC, where the Sony had PC Companion software.

The good thing is, you can select the software. The bad thing is, you might have to pay for it. What the heck, you save so much money on the phone, it might not matter. Of course, there is tons of free software too.

Absolutely ..no lags..but only draw back is flash plug-in...any one installed the flash plug-in in nexus 4???

Thanks Peri. All the reviews confirm that this phone is super fast, like you've mentioned. Hope to hear from you once you get the SIM. I'm looking for a way to bring one down. I guess the best way is to have someone bring it down for me. It's also available on ebay BTW, I'll keep that as a second option because I really don't want to mess with the Customs and the TRC and stuff.

For anyone else who might be interested in the Nexus 4, here's an in depth review. Over 1 hour! This is probably one of the most detailed reviews on YouTube.

Edited by Davy

Thanks Peri. All the reviews confirm that this phone is super fast, like you've mentioned. Hope to hear from you once you get the SIM. I'm looking for a way to bring one down. I guess the best way is to have someone bring it down for me. It's also available on ebay BTW, I'll keep that as a second option because I really don't want to mess with the Customs and the TRC and stuff.

For anyone else who might be interested in the Nexus 4, here's an in depth review. Over 1 hour! This is probably one of the most detailed reviews on YouTube.

Its also available on Amazon, tho for a higher price than the Play Store.

• 2 weeks later...

Members,

I was informed by a person this android phones can be convert to portable, two-way radio transceivers.

So that no one will have to go through the Cellular exchange.

Limited to few, who are having the same system of two-way transceiver.

Can any member inform the possibility of same.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

It didn't cost me a penny to register my G2X with TRC. But you have to pay minimum Rs. 1000/- to the Import and Export Department and Rs. 500/- or something to the customs.

• 3 weeks later...

Guys im in need of a good dual sim phone, carrying two phones around and charging both of them is becoming a bit annoying. Im currently using an Xperia Z and a Huawei G6008

Currently my only option seems like the galaxy grand, i know its nothing even close to the Xperia z im using now but as far as dual sim phones go i think its the only high end device.

Does anyone have hands on experience with a Galaxy grand ?

Also what else are my options, should be dual sim and android :)

Guys im in need of a good dual sim phone, carrying two phones around and charging both of them is becoming a bit annoying. Im currently using an Xperia Z and a Huawei G6008

Currently my only option seems like the galaxy grand, i know its nothing even close to the Xperia z im using now but as far as dual sim phones go i think its the only high end device.

Does anyone have hands on experience with a Galaxy grand ?

Also what else are my options, should be dual sim and android :)

Best i know is the Grand

Yup.. Galaxy Grand Duos is the most high-end dual sim device android or otherwise (make sure you get the i9082 as the i9080 is single sim).. Next is the Galaxy S Duos, although it is a good phone it is a step-down in most areas when compared to the Grand. However, the Galaxy S Duos is around 18000 to 22000 cheaper than the Galaxy Grand Duos..

On a side note, if you know anyone in China/Dubai/Qatar/Saudi Arabia or travelling to China/Dubai/Qatar/Saudi Arabia (it's probably available in other regions too but none than I know of at the moment) you can pick up the Galaxy S4 Duos (i9502) which is far superior to the two phones on top although it is significantly more expensive...

Hope this helps.. Cheers

Guys,

This is just FYI. I got a broken screen of my galaxy s duos (6 months old). Though, i could not get the advantage of the warranty, the company charged me 6500.00 Rs to replace the screen. But, in the same time they made the warranty void since i dropped the phone.

I think this is a rubbish policy of J__ K____ to get rid of their responsibilities on a product that they sold.