• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Honda Civic Es Or Ek?

chamath1

Question

Hi everyone this is my first forum post and it's reguarding my very own first car :)

When I was a teenager I had the luxury of riding Mitsubishi Pajero (1989), L200, Lancer Box, Nissan N16, Doctor Sunny, Bluebird (Diesel), Peugeot 406,407, Freelander and none of them gave me the beautiful experience of riding a 1995 Vtec Honda Civic Ex (EG) car. I almost learned all the driving tactics on Sri Lankan roads on this vehicle as my father owned it. I loved it's unique balance between horsepower and fuel consumption which was 15kmpl within Kandy city roads. I dreamt of having it for a lifetime but my dad had to sell it as he needed a four wheel for his travels.

Years later I saw the same car in bits and pieces in a garage as the second owner had tried to modify the vehicle in a very cheap form and then met with a major accident and the vehicle had to be sold for parts. I never felt so sad for machine like that before, and here I am now trying to get a same car just to revive my wild and free good times by buying a Civic to myself :)

I truly like to go for an EG but since that model is too old I'm confused with buying either ES or EK series?

My aspects for a good car is:

1. Fuel Consumption (>12 within city limits, >15 on highway)

2. Price < 2.2 Million

3. Low maintennance cost

4. Vtec engine HP>100

5. Sporty Look (optional)

When it comes to fuel efficiency , I heard that Lancer CVT has a good kmpl count (15-18KMPL) but didn't go for it because of the memories I had with a Civic and when it comes to looks Civic wins.

I truly like to go for an EG but since that model is too old I'm confused with buying either ES or EK series. Which one is the best when t comes to my requirement ?

how do u want me to call you? child? son? dude? listen.. dont ever try to convert an auto to manual or manual to auto. u would destroy its value. unless u do a B16 or B 18 full conversion. and converting a ek3 with CVT tranny to manual is not easy at all. parts are very hard to come by these days. and its not just the gearbox. u need the ECU and vire harness etc... not worth the trouble. just buy a good exi with manual tranny or buy a virs or vi with CVT and enjoy the ride.

I'm a bit close to 30 years old but this is the first time I'm gonna get wheels for myself so I'm pretty much a rookie on that :P The reason why I love that guys car is that he maintained the vehicle so well. Plus that pro who knows Civics well gave me a wow rating for it's condition. Only draw back is the transmission, plus personally I'll start to miss the thrill of driving a manual geared and Auto gear is a bad choice when it comes to fuel economy and commuting on Colombo roads . That's why I thought of transmission conversion and . Sounds like a bad idea then :(

Edited by chamath1

oh god not this argument again. what's with chan5 and doctors who don't wash their cars?? you brought up the same point in another thread. grievous personal experience with a doc and his dirty little premio?

i had good faith on my memory, just because mr Komisiripala said i went through all the posts I've made to find something as you say.couldn't find anything.

and i still believe in my memory,for your information, i remember your reply on that ''particular post'' that you said and googled it,

"Wow that's a nasty generalisation there"

http://forum.autolan...wn/page__st__40

for your convenience - post nu 56/57/59.

if you see that I've not involved in that case.now what...?

doctors thing is there as people consider atleast they've NO time to fiddle with the odometer.

And believe me mate, they never wash cars,and run on daily basis , so 16kmpl is a s*it.

OK. apology for generalization, quite badly for using the word " they never''

as rambo said to the cop in first blood 1: "let it go. let. it. go"

agree, will let. it. go

might have been molested by one. That would also explain his homophobia

retarded homophobic - no point wasting time

Edited by chan5

I'm a bit close to 30 years old but this is the first time I'm gonna get wheels for myself so I'm pretty much a rookie on that :P The reason why I love that guys car is that he maintained the vehicle so well. Plus that pro who knows Civics well gave me a wow rating for it's condition. Only draw back is the transmission, plus personally I'll start to miss the thrill of driving a manual geared and Auto gear is a bad choice when it comes to fuel economy and commuting on Colombo roads . That's why I thought of transmission conversion and . Sounds like a bad idea then :(

What If I told you I had a non vtec civic cvt that did 400 km on 2000 rupees petrol?

Try do that with a manual. Cvt gearboxes were in civics 10 years before Toyota thought of them

• Like 1

What now? Now chan, I say sorry. I remembered the post because it sounded exactly the same! Guess these dirty doctor types are famous!

Anyhow, let's try and help op out here. Before he goes gangnam style on some poor civic!

you're welcome mate,let it go

anyway , OP Is interest on some Terios thing as well.(saw in another thread) :) :)

What If I told you I had a non vtec civic cvt that did 400 km on 2000 rupees petrol?

Try do that with a manual. Cvt gearboxes were in civics 10 years before Toyota thought of them

Cant say it that way man. What type of road trips did you do? Was it traveling on traffic conditions or drive on the highway?

When you face road traffic and you need to stop and pick up every time an Auto geared vehicle tends to require more power than a manual, this means Auto geared consume more fuel. I'm gonna be using that vehicle to travel between Colombo and Kandy on the weekends and to go to work (within Colombo) on the weekdays so manual gear fits my profile.

Cant say it that way man. What type of road trips did you do? Was it traveling on traffic conditions or drive on the highway?

When you face road traffic and you need to stop and pick up every time an Auto geared vehicle tends to require more power than a manual, this means Auto geared consume more fuel. I'm gonna be using that vehicle to travel between Colombo and Kandy on the weekends and to go to work (within Colombo) on the weekdays so manual gear fits my profile.

you aren't going to buy a civic any time this decade are you?

• Like 1

Prvnrox, any chance your friend might be selling his Civic? BTW the guy who has the EK3 with leather interior may have upgraded it from stock seats because he used the vehicle with good care. The only reason I din go for it was because it was Auto gear.

I dont think so bro! he loves his ride!

Machan chk ur inbox

After going through many Ek3s I realised that vtech cars are economical compared to non vtechs. Unfortunately there aren't Vtechs for sale now. I was thinking of getting an EXI and converting it to Vtech. Can someone plz comment on that? Is that a bad idea?

No it's a brilliant idea. Wow of course! You should do that. Imagine the amount of money you'd save on petrol because vtec was made for efficiency!

Edited by Komisiripala

Ohh and to all Ek3 owners who replaced the engine and forgot the most important emblem, i have a brand-new oh-so-precious "Ferio" emblem, which i would be glad to part with if am offered with a hefty sum of $$$s. Stick this in your car, and no one would know that you replaced your 300,000 km worn out engine with an unknown milage recon engine.

Guys, I'm kinda locked on to buy a Civic. Weeks back I was close to buying a VI RS which was in perfect condition I wanted and the next day the owner changed his mind about selling it. If you're a Civic fan you'd probably know how hard it is to find a well maintained Civic. This was one of them. So I'm on the lookout for another one that is close enough to the one I was close to buying. It's quite rare to see a VI RS, RS, VTIs for sale specially a one that is well maintained. So I'm very picky when it comes to this.

So no offence guys but if you don't own a Civic or have a good experience about them please quit commenting unnecessary stuff.

So no offence guys but if you don't own a Civic or have a good experience about them please quit commenting unnecessary stuff.

So basically, you just want yes men who have glorious experiences with Civics, not even the competent people who can point out problems for you?

Must be into politics...