• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Vehicle Id... No Longer Issued?

Saturn

Early english number vehicles had a sheet of paper some referred to as a vehicle ID (I think) with various specifications of the car - is this no longer issued for new vehicles? or is only for certain types of vehicles?

Also, what are the documents a person must keep with them in the car?

I gather one must obviously have road licence and insurance... beyond that I take it the emission test is needed.

What about other stuff like luxury tax receipt etc... are those needed?

Early english number vehicles had a sheet of paper some referred to as a vehicle ID (I think) with various specifications of the car - is this no longer issued for new vehicles? or is only for certain types of vehicles?

Also, what are the documents a person must keep with them in the car?

I gather one must obviously have road licence and insurance... beyond that I take it the emission test is needed.

What about other stuff like luxury tax receipt etc... are those needed?

1. VIC is no longer issued

2. License and Insurance only. (this is one question that always comes up in the D/L exam)

3. Not necessary

4. No need to keep them in the car. Only necessary for transfers.

• Like 1

2. License and Insurance only. (this is one question that always comes up in the D/L exam)

3. Not necessary

Thank you.

However I have heard that the emission test result should be on car and may be requested? This may be a new requirement... or perhaps I am wrong...

3. Not necessary

Actually you do need to keep the emissions test certificate in the car AFAIK.. It's a fairly new ruling.

Actually you do need to keep the emissions test certificate in the car AFAIK.. It's a fairly new ruling.

The Act requires you to do so.

Quote:
(5) The Emission Certificate and Certificate of Fitness issued in respect of a motor vehicle under this section shall be—
(a) carried in that vehicle at all times;
( B) made available for inspection on demand by a police officer, Grama Niladhari or Examiner or authorized officer appointed under this Act, or by any person authorized in writing by the Commissioner - General :Provided however, that such certificate shall be produced when required, before a Court, the Commissioner - General or a Licensing Authority.
218. A person who contravenes the provisions of section 99 or subsection (5) or (6) of section 196 shall be guilty of an offence and shall on conviction be liable to a fine not less than five thousand rupees and not exceeding twenty five thousand rupees or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding one month or to both such fine and imprisonment.
Unquote
Here many people are not aware of this and RMV is not doing anything AFAIK to educate the public. After all the authorities take up the view that the traffic rules are not meant to be a deterrent to potential offenders but merely an instrument to fatten govt coffers.
Edited by Rumesh88

I am happy my post was useful, and relieved on the clarification re VIC!

Yes, it was indeed useful and was an eye opener on what you need to carry in a vehicle. However, as for the VIC I do not know why they began issuing it in the first place and why it was stopped now. But it shows the lack of direction and foresight on the part of the authorities.

• 1 month later...
Yes, it was indeed useful and was an eye opener on what you need to carry in a vehicle. However, as for the VIC I do not know why they began issuing it in the first place and why it was stopped now. But it shows the lack of direction and foresight on the part of the authorities.

Rumesh88,

Most of our administration authorities work according to their whims and fancy's. If possible they will directly or indirectly try to make money by implementing some new regulations.

If you see the Driving license matter. All our drivers had a book early from the inception. Few years ago they changed to a plastic card. later another Plastic card was issued, If I am not mistaken after a court ruling.

Almost all plastic Driving cards were fading after few months. I managed to get three free Driving license new cards, pinpointing the card issued to me got faded in no time.

Now personally I have to go there and be on the ques to get a new driving License card with all comprised data. At my Age waiting on a ques for long hours is not that easy so I do drive with a faded card.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.