• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Range Rover Evoque

jaguar

machan i was talking about 320D facelift.

Ah that... I was wondering whether they had changed the spec so suddenly.

BTW any European car has most of these options you find in our vocabulary as standard. Just that you could keep on upgrading if you have the money.

Ah that... I was wondering whether they had changed the spec so suddenly.

BTW any European car has most of these options you find in our vocabulary as standard. Just that you could keep on upgrading if you have the money.

what about the new Jaguar XF n A6 available for the permit?? heard those 2 are fully loaded.

Dear C-Class Garandiya, words like 'economics' may be quite alien to you, because u didn't step in to a school even during rain. Just because u don't know these words, doesn't mean they don't exist in the planet.

Unfortunately only a people with at least an ounce of brain can understand the obvious

Don’t talk economics in a country where the actual rules of economics is NOT followed.... The prices of 3 wheels and motor bikes are increased to discourage people from buying them. Most crimes that are committed in the country are committed using 3 wheelers...

As for permits... They are given as an incentive to govt servants where the pay is much lower than in the pvt sector. The cash strapped govt doesn’t have to actually increase the salaries of the workers and instead they are given the permit. Whether they want to use or sell is up to them. I agree that it is not the most straight forward way of doing things but its some thing

This will bring back some balance from pvt sector to govt sector. Don’t talk sh!t without knowing the exact the logic and the thought behind issuing permits…

Try and justify how issuing permits is robbing from the poor and giving the rich???

Edited by malla

Practically the permits are issued for government servants for them to buy a new car to drive to work,
So that they don't won't to hang around in garages or bus sands,

It should be like that he would buy even a maruti for the reduced price not to sell it which is not the case that happens here.

What about petrol? We pay more than the norm for petrol just for the rich to enjoy driving in their diesels paying only a fraction of what it would normally be...

uhh wrong. If you drive a petrol car or motorcycle (private transport) you ARE privileged and rich to an extent. But a vast majority of our people still run on diesel. Not in Monteros or 520Ds, but in Leylands, in Tatas and in whatever branded trains which all run on diesel. Not to mention the food that comes to your plate at some point reached there via a DIESEL truck.

And yes those in diesel cars and jeeps benefit from the lower cost per liter. But they still pay a sh!tload more in taxes when buying the vehicle.

Does that make sense? And I wouldnt call price of diesel a 'fraction' of the price of petrol.. you're being a tad bit of a drama queen there..

• Like 1

uhh wrong. If you drive a petrol car or motorcycle (private transport) you ARE privileged and rich to an extent. But a vast majority of our people still run on diesel. Not in Monteros or 520Ds, but in Leylands, in Tatas and in whatever branded trains which all run on diesel. Not to mention the food that comes to your plate at some point reached there via a DIESEL truck.

And yes those in diesel cars and jeeps benefit from the lower cost per liter. But they still pay a sh!tload more in taxes when buying the vehicle.

Does that make sense? And I wouldnt call price of diesel a 'fraction' of the price of petrol.. you're being a tad bit of a drama queen there..

Watchman you have a valid point. As you’ve mentioned a higher import duty is set on diesel vehicles to discourage them from been imported. But this is where the contradiction begins, if the government genuinely want to stick to their policy they should have banned import of diesels under car permits. These car permits have now become a loop hole in importing diesel vehicles to the country. When you take in to account the sheer number of permits that has been issued and will be in the future, Gummy’s point hold some value and so does the Robin Hood theory.

Don’t talk economics in a country where the actual rules of economics is NOT followed.... The prices of 3 wheels and motor bikes are increased to discourage people from buying them. Most crimes that are committed in the country are committed using 3 wheelers...

Dude seriously, as per your theory the government is trying to control the use of a certain types of an automobile (a type that is very popular and servers as a main income source for many) to curb crime? Is it just me or does that sound just plain stupid. Now that I think of it the way the country is run I won’t be surprised if that was the reason behind the policy change. You know what they say, this is a land like no other.

Getting back to the point, the main reason behind increasing the import duties on three wheelers, motor bicycles and small cars is because the government is so cash strapped they want to increase the taxes on popular items/goods that are been imported to the country to boost revenue. Same reason why prices of basic food items are on the rise.

• Like 6

As for permits... They are given as an incentive to govt servants where the pay is much lower than in the pvt sector. The cash strapped govt doesn’t have to actually increase the salaries of the workers and instead they are given the permit. Whether they want to use or sell is up to them. I agree that it is not the most straight forward way of doing things but its some thing

This will bring back some balance from pvt sector to govt sector. Don’t talk sh!t without knowing the exact the logic and the thought behind issuing permits…

Try and justify how issuing permits is robbing from the poor and giving the rich???

malla, i think the 3 wheeler theory is a bit off isnt it.. but my issue is as a country the under 1000CC cars are what people can afford and as XXX said they want to increase the tax so that they get more revenue.. another "higana" wadak from the maha raja and the gang....

As someone said, the permit is purely the govt's way of subsidising a necessity because a typical upper tier employee (by which I mean the intellectuals. Not the 7-pass politicos. Don't get the two confused) cannot afford a car and tax on his/her salary.

I guess most of you guys don't know how much we get paid. If you did, you wouldn't hark so much about it. In my field, I speak of the average guy. Not mr. Private practice who's running his own mint.

What an employee does with a permit, is utterly up to him. God knows some of us can't even afford cars at the subsidised rates!

That being said, I'm getting mine in 2014, and rest assured the car will be a first of its kind to have the red P in Sri Lanka ;)

• Like 7

Machang all true about why the diesel has to be subsidized, but the problem is the people buying vehicles on permits (excluding the state sector people who go for Maruti's etc, no offense Suneth) are mostly buying diesels.

This way they cheat the system and get away with it ( they pay marginal taxes to government and get the benefit of cheaper fuels). It is infact good for people like us who are in the automobile trade as it helps us achieve our targets and fills our pockets.

If someone would research and see they will see that the government loses more revenue by issuing transferable permits, I would say that they are well off paying a bonus every 5 years to the state sector employees. Its just my opinion.

If someone would research and see they will see that the government loses more revenue by issuing transferable permits, I would say that they are well off paying a bonus every 5 years to the state sector employees. Its just my opinion.

Maybe true, but the Government will have to use funds currently in circulation to pay bonuses or finance those payments by printing money.

Of the two options the only feasible avenue for a country in debt is to print money, but that comes with its own risks to the country's fiscal policy.

Issuing permits is the equivalent of printing money in a slightly more controlled, restrictive manner to be spent on only one type of commodity. This serves to allow GoSL to pay its civil servants more (if you take the current value of the tax break offered by the permit or its current equivalent resale as unpaid wages) while maintaining some sort of control on the country's debt and inflation.

The move to issue transferable permits is probably (in the grand scheme of things) a reflection on the higher cost of living in recent years where most of the mid-level civil servants find themselves unable to afford a new car...

As someone said, the permit is purely the govt's way of subsidising a necessity because a typical upper tier employee (by which I mean the intellectuals. Not the 7-pass politicos. Don't get the two confused) cannot afford a car and tax on his/her salary.

I guess most of you guys don't know how much we get paid. If you did, you wouldn't hark so much about it. In my field, I speak of the average guy. Not mr. Private practice who's running his own mint.

What an employee does with a permit, is utterly up to him. God knows some of us can't even afford cars at the subsidised rates!

That being said, I'm getting mine in 2014, and rest assured the car will be a first of its kind to have the red P in Sri Lanka ;)

You raise a valid point there Komi, most people automatically tend to assume that Doctor=Loaded without realizing that it's never as simple as all that.

Your permit's due next year? Hmm I wonder what the car will be....... Something with a Type R badge? If it were me i'd probably try and get hold of a GT86 if that's possible.

My little sister is a doctor too (only on her third year of service) and like Komi says can hardly afford the petrol let alone a car even at subsidized rates. The story is the same for many of her colleagues. Some who has received the permit are thinking about selling the permit and buying a newer car using that money. The only guys utilizing the permits seem to be chaps putting a lot of effort into their private practices.

So as a result my sisters travels are presently subsidized by my father, not the Sri Lankan government. And if and when she gets a permit, the story would probably be the same unless she decides to go down the private practice route. But with the hours she currently does (works nearly every day of the week) I don't see how, unless she absconds on her duties!

My little sister is a doctor too (only on her third year of service) and like Komi says can hardly afford the petrol let alone a car even at subsidized rates. The story is the same for many of her colleagues. Some who has received the permit are thinking about selling the permit and buying a newer car using that money. The only guys utilizing the permits seem to be chaps putting a lot of effort into their private practices.

So as a result my sisters travels are presently subsidized by my father, not the Sri Lankan government. And if and when she gets a permit, the story would probably be the same unless she decides to go down the private practice route. But with the hours she currently does (works nearly every day of the week) I don't see how, unless she absconds on her duties!

Exactly why the permit is given... They can use it of they can afford a car or sell it and get Rs2mn

It pisses me off when "saran mudalalis" call doctors permits 2.5mill wages given to them,

Plane and simple they work all day and night and even poke fingers up the a**es of people all rich and poor to save their lives (PR),

and they have to drive home in a maruti or a 15year old starlet while a idiot drives the 520d/X3/A6.... bought for his permit.

Edited by Clark's son
  • Like 4

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Komisiripala" data-cid="230497" data-time="1358422836"><p>

So in essence it makes since why my colleagues buy appreciating automotive assets. (Spelled T-O-Y-O-T-A)</p></blockquote> when I was doin my interns, I almost pleaded my Senior colleague to buy at least a damn yaris without getting a Alto!. I met him few months back and guess what, he is having a alto and his answere was couldnt afford anything beyond that. So basically thats the story of the majority. I too getting one 3years down the line and wondering what I can afford. I know what komi is after !( Supra is in right track, neda machan)

It pisses me off when "saran mudalalis" call doctors permits 2.5mill wages given to them,

Plane and simple they work all day and night and even poke fingers up the a**es of people all rich and poor to save their lives (PR),

and they have to drive home in a maruti or a 15year old starlet while a idiot drives the 520d/X3/A6.... bought for his permit.

you just summed up my life...

*-reaches for gun-*

you just summed up my life...

*-reaches for gun-*

Komi, don't despair. I went to drop my sister off at the hospital last week and there was a 2012 C class with garage plates on. I asked my sister if it belonged to their consultant. She said it was another MO like her. I asked where he got the money to buy something like that. She said PP :)

With all due respect, there's nothing wrong with the 'Saran Mudalalis'- They are the backbone of our economy so to speak and if a civil servant wants to sell off their permit to one and make some money, so be it.

Come to think of it a lot of Sri Lanka's really nice automobiles / sports cars are all owned by 'Sarang (Sarong) Mudalalis' or by individuals who are one generation removed from these so called 'Sarong Mudalalis'.

Its all good: We should gather around, sing kumbaya and revel in the fact that least someone, sarong clad or otherwise, is buying cars and spinning the wheels of our economy around for us...

Komi, don't despair. I went to drop my sister off at the hospital last week and there was a 2012 C class with garage plates on. I asked my sister if it belonged to their consultant. She said it was another MO like her. I asked where he got the money to buy something like that. She said PP :)

We did a promotion at Ratnapura last November and one elderly walked upto us and asked putha do you have anything smaller like a Maruti which I can buy for the permit after selling my Maruti Alto. It sucked to be there with vehicles costing about Rs. 8mil on permit and have this doctor come ask that question. I guess he is one of them that do not do private practice, and I can tell you there were quite a number of good cars there that the doctors used.

With all due respect, there's nothing wrong with the 'Saran Mudalalis'- They are the backbone of our economy so to speak and if a civil servant wants to sell off their permit to one and make some money, so be it.

Come to think of it a lot of Sri Lanka's really nice automobiles / sports cars are all owned by 'Sarang (Sarong) Mudalalis' or by individuals who are one generation removed from these so called 'Sarong Mudalalis'.

Its all good: We should gather around, sing kumbaya and revel in the fact that least someone, sarong clad or otherwise, is buying cars and spinning the wheels of our economy around for us...

I actually agree with you.

I guess in the end doctor or mudalali, all boils down to the fact that you cant expect to have a cushy 9am-5pm 5days a week job and be driving a RR or a 520D, unless you're exceptionally talented. You gotta work extra hours like a doc or take big risks like a mudalali if you want to hit it big in SL.

And yes, i agree most people who drive the premium cars are either wears a sarong or has a sarong somewhere in the family album and are working as hard to keep up that liestyle. Nothing to be ashamed of in my book. What they should be ashamed of is if they WERE born with a silvr spoon and end up having to drive a maruti.

Edited by Watchman
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...
are you saying that there should be more 3 wheelers and motor bikes on our roads?

Most people don't understand this but Mahinda's long term vision is to make luxury vehicles affordable, even for 3 wheel and motorbike riders ... isnt that wonderful :sport-smiley-004::sport-smiley-003:

Edited by Junkfriend