• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Please Explain Me Toyota Allion Gear Modes

aselaplus

Question

I'm having a Toyota Allion 260 model. It's gear has modes of P,R,N,D,S,B,

Can anyone can explain what are those stands for and when and for what purposes which each mode is used?

Does S mode is used for traffic driving ? Please give me a deep explanation and application of gear system

P - Park

R - Reverse

N - Neutral

D - Drive

S - Slow

B - Brake

its a CVT gearbox. so its a bit different from ur conventional automatic transmisson

therefore calling it 2, L is not really precise.

• Like 1

ohh I didnt realize that. Thanks!

But does the of its behaviour vary from the conventional auto-box? For example, we would use 2 when we descend a slope and need some engine braking. Basically the gearbox hold at a particular drive ratio to prevent unwanted acceleration. I would think it's the same in a CVT too, right?

I'm having a Toyota Allion 260 model. It's gear has modes of P,R,N,D,S,B,

Can anyone can explain what are those stands for and when and for what purposes which each mode is used?

Does S mode is used for traffic driving ? Please give me a deep explanation and application of gear system

S is for Sport - changes gear ratios keeping the engine at higher RPMs. If u put it to this mode and press the accl pedal to the bottom, rpm will stay around 5-6k and keep on changing the gear ratios. Also the accl response is better.

B is for Brake - Use the B mode when you are driving downhill for long distances (like down a mountain for more than 30 minutes). The “B“ mode is NOT a lower gear, like you would use for more traction, or towing or something like that. At almost all times you should be in “D“ mode.

See here http://geekswithblogs.net/gaijin42/archive/2006/10/12/toyota_hybrid_camry_prius_b_mode_braking_brake_fade_downgrade_failure_.aspx

S is for Sport - changes gear ratios keeping the engine at higher RPMs. If u put it to this mode and press the accl pedal to the bottom, rpm will stay around 5-6k and keep on changing the gear ratios. Also the accl response is better.

B is for Brake - Use the B mode when you are driving downhill for long distances (like down a mountain for more than 30 minutes). The “B“ mode is NOT a lower gear, like you would use for more traction, or towing or something like that. At almost all times you should be in “D“ mode.

See here http://geekswithblogs.net/gaijin42/archive/2006/10/12/toyota_hybrid_camry_prius_b_mode_braking_brake_fade_downgrade_failure_.aspx

That article is an interesting read, but it talks about CVT for a Hybrid car and not an ICE. Because of how Hybrids use braking force for recharging I am kind of on the verge of thinking that the gearbox's modes are different...

the hell. i've driven this and there is nothing sporty about the S

granted i didn't floor it to reach 5000RPM but it didnt make much difference

Well I've been in and driven several toyotas with the CVT box and S mode does hold the gears for longer and shift somewhat quicker than D if you really step on it. So its safe to say that S is Toyota's idea of a sports mode.

the hell. i've driven this and there is nothing sporty about the S

granted i didn't floor it to reach 5000RPM but it didnt make much difference

You are correct. S is for slow. This does not stand for Sport. This was told to me when I took the Vitz to Toyotal lanka.

• Like 1

from what i have heard from a mechanic. in slow and brake. it still shifts some gears to make the ride smoother and less revy but still its limited than D

Just to check with you guys... in a typical auto transmission we have "2" and "1" positions to avoid excessive break usage in upcountry driving. How can a trip tonic gear box does this which does not have " 2" or "1" positions where as it has only D. (Example Sportage 2011 ). As you may know it has Sport gear option too

You are correct. S is for slow. This does not stand for Sport. This was told to me when I took the Vitz to Toyotal lanka.

Just checked with a friend who is an S/A at Toyota, S does indeed stand for sport. Whoever said "slow" does not know what they are on about.

Just checked with a friend who is an S/A at Toyota, S does indeed stand for sport. Whoever said "slow" does not know what they are on about.

??????????? :sport-smiley-027:

Hmmm.

Do you think car like Vitz has an Sport Mode(Normal 1000C Vitz). I did try this when driving to Anuradhapura. Shifted from D to S. Car did slow down. When I shifted to B. It really started to Brake. So I thought the guys must be correct.

Edited by Batteries

This is what wikipedia says (if that is to be taken as a reliable source.)

S or Sport

This is commonly described as Sport mode. It operates in an identical manner as "D" mode, except that the upshifts change much higher up the engine's rev range. This has the effect on maximising all the available engine output, and therefore enhances the performance of the vehicle, particularly during acceleration. This mode will also downchange much higher up the rev range compared to "D" mode, maximising the effects of engine braking. This mode will have a detrimental effect on fuel economy. Hyundai has a Norm/Power switch next to the gearshift for this purpose on the Tiburon

Brake or B

A mode selectable on some Toyota models. In non-hybrid cars, this mode lets the engine do compression braking, also known as engine braking, typically when encountering a steep downhill. Instead of engaging the brakes, the engine in a non-hybrid car switches to a lower gear and slows down the spinning tires. The engine holds the car back, instead of the brakes slowing it down. GM called this "HR" ("hill retarder") and "GR" ("grade retarder") in the 1950s. For hybrid cars, this mode converts the electric motor into a generator for the battery (Regenerative Braking). It is not the same as downshifting in a non-hybrid car, but it has the same effect in slowing the car without using the brakes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_transmission

aselaplus

I think you ought to get the interpretation going through the posts now!!!

Edited by CJ5

seriously im confused now.

like battery said i shifted from D to S going downhill and it slowed the car. this was a 1lt vitz too

so basically that means toyota has two meanings for S?

like in my car when u select ECT manu it changes gears quickly but in a carina gt i drove few days back ECT manu holds a gear

but what ever the case, the theory my mechanic gave seem to be right if the gear changes are gonna be at higher rev band though the meaning is different

X__X

@magnum - toyota really loves confusing there customers dont they? :P

like battery said i shifted from D to S going downhill and it slowed the car. this was a 1lt vitz too

like in my car when u select ECT manu it changes gears quickly but in a carina gt i drove few days back ECT manu holds a gear

but what ever the case, the theory my mechanic gave seem to be right if the gear changes are gonna be at higher rev band though the meaning is different

X__X

Just imagine shifting down,

If you'r on the gas it increases the acceleration and if off it, it will slow down.

It's as simple as that we shift to a low gear when coming down a hill as well as overtaking etc..

BTW I have driven a premio and there dosen't seem to be any difference in the 2 modes when it comes to the speed.

Well toyota's sport may be slow for another brand,

And it also makes me wonder about the montero SPORT, RR SPORT, and Actyon SPORT :D

X__X

Yes they really, I have decided not to try learn about their stuff!! I have officially declined!!

you know what? I recently checked out two KDH vans, one was a Super GL and the other DX. the DX had dual air bags but the Super GL had single airbag! :D

S is sport. Even the civic cvt has a sport and econo mode. It's the same as kickback in lower gears higher Rpm. Hill descent is easier on sport.

I dunno about Toyota but the civic had quite a push when on S. the RS autos come with D, S1, S2 presets on the steering wheel. Now that... Is kewl!!

Okay...so page 124 of the user manual of Allion (260)

S : slope drive

B : down slope drive

At least that is what the direct translation of the kanji characters mean.

Checked the user manual of my 1.3ltr Vitz with a S on it and it said the same thing...

So my guess is that S lets you go up the rev range so that you have enough torque to climb up hills..uhmmm..SLOPES ? and B does the same thing but differently so that you can engine brake going down hill.."I mean down slopes" ? maybe the parameters are slightly different for shifting...

I am with Jaliya....forget about CVTs and A/Ts all together...wish cars only came in M/T. We could get rid of some really bad drivers off the roads :D

Edited by iRage

Okay...so page 124 of the user manual of Allion (260)

S : slope drive

B : down slope drive

At least that is what the direct translation of the kanji characters mean.

Checked the user manual of my 1.3ltr Vitz with a S on it and it said the same thing...

So my guess is that S lets you go up the rev range so that you have enough torque to climb up hills..uhmmm..SLOPES ? and B does the same thing but differently so that you can engine brake going down hill.."I mean down slopes" ? maybe the parameters are slightly different for shifting...

I am with Jaliya....forget about CVTs and A/Ts all together...wish cars only came in M/T. We could get rid of some really bad drivers off the roads :D

Correct!

By the by, can you translate Kanji? Or did you use a soft copy of the owner's manual and use an online translation method?

Edited by Jaliya48

forget about CVTs and A/Ts all together...wish cars only came in M/T. We could get rid of some really bad drivers off the roads :D

The value of an A/T is realised driving on roads such as Galle Road on weekdays in the mornings and evenings 5 days a week. I have got foot-cramps clutching and de-clutching on manuals. Ohhh! What a releif the A/T brings with it! As for getting rid of bad drivers..........I am with you on that one!!! :D

Guys you seem to have mistaken cvt boxes with normal planetary gear autos.

Basically you get all these D321 D2L and DS+- modes on a normal auto. and those modes are actual gears cos they do in fact have fixed mechanical ratios. so when you fiddle with these modes you can hold on to a gear or max out on it. Also with these ect functions like in a toyota you get more control over the box.

In cvt boxes there are no real gears. well apart from the first gear which has a fixed ratio to get you up to speed till it changes into the 2nd gear, the cvt one. In this using a belt and a cone the gearbox can simulate massively varied ratios. something like a short 2nd gear to a very long top gear/overdrive. which gives the cars mechanical top speeds upto 380 km/h and possibly more. once the cvt is engaged you dont feel any gear changes. because there are no gear changes. just a varying of the ratios which feels a bit like a slipping clutch. and this goes on all the time depending on throttle position and the position of the gear lever to give you maximum performance or economy.

So when you floor it once you get past the 1st gear as you would on a toyota cvt box, you would notice the revs peak somewhere near the limiter and the speed keeps on climbing. This is also why you could be at 2000 rpm climbing a hill at 60 or cruising on a highway doing 120 while being on the same gear.

As for the modes. D is just the normal mode. the gearbox is always slacking on you and gives maximum economy. in S the cone and belt are always at a shorter ratio to give you a little more response than D. not extra performance. you just feel like a you are accelerating faster cos the car is ready to respond faster in this mode. Also it holds on to the 1st gear for longer and provides better engine braking than in D mode. I use it when taking fast corners. B I thought stands for base or 1st gear. But you can actually get past the 1st gear and into the cvt too. Basically its the same as S but maintains even shorter ratios and responds much quicker. Its good for travelling through tight spaces quickly cos you get more response and engine braking and therefore more control. Also good for climbing steep hills. But I don't think its a good idea to use it at higher speeds even though its perfectly possible.

• Like 1

@Jaliya : I can translate most Kanji (the symbolisms make no sense to me and often wonder what whoever came up with them was smoking at the time). Where my Kanji stops my wife takes over (she is Japanese) and where her's fail then comes out her little electronic dictionary.

@CJ5 : and fore-go all that leg exercise ? think of the muscle toning !! I would even say double clutching ! j/k..maybe the reduction of bad drivers would ease the congestion ?

@Jadey: I believe what we all have been trying to do is equate the behavior of the CVT to a normal A/T and not necessarily equate the technical workings. Thus, in many ways you are right as it would be like trying to equate how an apple has the same nutritional benefits of an orange. Funny how the discussion got so complex from a simple question of what S & B is for :D.