• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Common Rail Engine(Nissan Vanette)

osanda19

Question

hi guys,im planing to buy a nissan vanette VX(2008)which is comes with common rail diesel engine..but my friend saying that this type of engines are not good,it should use only super diesel,vehicle market is low,there are some promblems with injectors&sensors,which is very cost,so older engine is better than this,

but vehicle owner saying that this type of engines are very good on fuel,& we can remove the DPF(sorry i cant remember the correct word,its something like DPF) problem,its cost only about 20000/= :sleeping-smiley-001:

so guys i cant get a decision whether i should buy this van or not, :sad-smiley-067: i dont have a very good knowledge on diesel vehicles, :sport-smiley-027: this is gonna be my first diesel vehicle,pls guys give me your ideas & experiences on this engine :sad-smiley-068:

17 answers to this question

Common rail engines are the newer engines, and yes they will be more efficient. I do believe all common rails engines need to run on Super Diesel be it Japanese or European.

In your case dont worry about the DPF filter, it wont give you any trouble as long as you pump Super Diesel regularly and do a long drive once in a while. Shirt distance running will sometimes block the DPF filter, but a a long drive of about 20kms will clean it out as long as you rev it a little bit on low gears. The other remedy would be to take off the filter and wash it with tap water (get your garage guy to do that).

I wouldn't advice you to remove the DPF filter, instead keep it and you can keep the environment clean as well.

• Like 1

Most of the vanettes i have seen with common rail engines were sounded like tractors :)

That's because they pump the normal auto diesel. Even Haice with 1KD engine makes that tractor like noise when you pump normal diesel

Common rail engines are the newer engines, and yes they will be more efficient. I do believe all common rails engines need to run on Super Diesel be it Japanese or European.

In your case dont worry about the DPF filter, it wont give you any trouble as long as you pump Super Diesel regularly and do a long drive once in a while. Shirt distance running will sometimes block the DPF filter, but a a long drive of about 20kms will clean it out as long as you rev it a little bit on low gears. The other remedy would be to take off the filter and wash it with tap water (get your garage guy to do that).

I wouldn't advice you to remove the DPF filter, instead keep it and you can keep the environment clean as well.

I think Xtra Mile also works fine, cuz that's what my uncle and couple of others I know pump to their Montero Sport

If it is an Euro IV engine it might give trouble(DPF) since our local diesel is not euro IV compatible,

True the diesel we have is Euro3, but then how are all the Mercs, BMWs, Audis, Peugoets and Land Rovers run on them. AFAIK except for brand new Land Rover the others do have the DPF filter. But even the Land Rovers nowadays come with the Euro4 engines even without the DPF filter.

Any car manufacturer will not give their vehicles to countries that does not suit the running conditions because they are putting their reputation on the line if something goes wrong.

thank you very much guys for your valuable comments,is it hard to repair a common rail engine?i mean that is there any special mechanics to repair this type of vehicles

Probably yes, cuz in common rail engines the injectors are electronic

• Like 1

thank you very much guys for your valuable comments,is it hard to repair a common rail engine?i mean that is there any special mechanics to repair this type of vehicles

I think you should look into the mechanics of a common rail diesel engine. A quick search in Google will give you a lot of information. But fundamentally they have a high pressure fuel pump (instead of a standard electronic or mechanical pump) and ECU controlled electronically activated injectors (just like an EFI petrol car). The fuel rail always carries pressurized fuel supplied by the high pressure fuel pump and the injectors are connected to the rail and they open in sequence to inject fuel into the chambers to be ignited. Because fuel is injected at high pressure and the whole process is electronically controlled common rail diesels can run much leaner mixtures without knocking and achieve much better fuel economy.

But of course you've got more electronic components to worry about.

The DPF is a separate component that has nothing to do with common rails, but came in to make diesels more environmentally friendly kind of around the same time. It traps some of the soot particles emitted by diesel engines which is then burnt off by the catalyst inside the DPF. This does not happen effectively if you take a lot of shorter journeys with engine at low revs, so once in a while you need a long drive or you need to drive aggressively revving the engine.

You usually have to pump low sulphur diesel to these engines or the best available fuel. High sulphur diesel causes issues with the high pressure fuel pumps, injectors and causes DPFs to get blocked up quickly.

you can't remove the filter, but you can drill a hole in the filter,after that fix the filter and remove dpf indicator bulb from dash board and reset the ECU by disconnecting battery terminals.Please get some help of mechanic.

after doing is it your engine has a turbo i think fix a turbo timer is better.

RF6C engine is very good in fuel consumption.

you can't remove the filter, but you can drill a hole in the filter,after that fix the filter and remove dpf indicator bulb from dash board and reset the ECU by disconnecting battery terminals.Please get some help of mechanic.

I personally don't think this is a good solution and it probably only works in older cars with DPF. In most newer vehicles the removal of the DPF will trigger a check engine light and may even force the car to go into limp mode.

Do you have a relative by the name of 'Sylvi Wijesinghe'?

• Like 1

genius-meme.jpg

Do you have a relative by the name of 'Sylvi Wijesinghe'?

tumblr_lshw4w5Thj1qhe380.png

Edited by Magnum

@ Mr.Don

our vehicle is mazda bongo common rail type van.so we got some problems with dpf,using super diesel is not a solution for dpf filter block, so that is the best solution for dpf problems in sri lanka

our van done 40000km after dpf filter drilled.

@ crosswind i don't know about Sylvi Wijesinghe

• Like 1