• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Milage Sudenly Droped - Toyota Prius

LAXMAN917576

Question

Jokes apart, first search this forum for Prius related topics. My god there's a lot. There was even one where after a huge argument someone proved that was the average fuel consumption shown there. So this could just mean that your reconditioned Prius slowly shat out the Japanese foot which was up its arse to accommodate yours.

In other words it adjusted to your driving habits. So here's what I would do:

1. Pump a full tank.

2. Take the bus to work

3. Put the Prius out only on weekends

4. Calculate your own fuel efficiency. Don't forget to add the work commute. You should get about 80-100kmpl

• Like 2

Well, firstly, you're looking in the wrong place. The one self-proclaimed expert on the prius and other hybrids normally disappears when a hybrid owner has a question/problem. Secondly there are Prius based forums (outside of Sri Lanka) that might be able to help you troubleshoot. But if it's not anything simple you'll have to goto the agent or the other "hybrid" workshop...

And be courteous enough to update this thread once you sort out your issue so that it can help people like you in the future.

Last service at arabian motors they change the spark plaugh ETI TUNNING ALSO DONE
LAXMAN917576,

First of all go back to Arabian motors, inform you are not satisfied with their work.

Explain your problem of fuel reduction. With money spend for a tune up, new problem had developed.

I know they have solved some problems in few cars.

The owners of those cars had told me. When they came to me with some other problem. Not related to yours.

Two of them had mixed low and high octane petrol and had this problem similar to yours. Did you do that.

Some posts says that your battery is failing. Normally this battery lasts more than 3 years. To my knowledge.

According to what I have read in the web USA Toyota Prius used car forums.The batteries they do change of individual cells of the battery.

USA have a battery testing scanner which they do without removing the batter pack. Can do a load test if any cell is bad test will indicate.

After testing the battery if they find one cell or more are bad. I do not know this can be done in S L by the said Agent.

Do not get alarmed that a costly battery replacement has to be done, without finding the root cause.

I came across a Honda which had done 68000 kilometers imported new without any problem only regular service.

Best of luck for the new year.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

• Like 1

The Reason for this is putha. your running on something called petrol.. the best thing to do is pumping hydrogen.. then the exhaust fumes that comes out with group hug the tree's and will return around 30kmpl..

oh like JDnet said, pump diesel.

Also try prius driving techniques like komisiripala mentioned.

weight in the car affect fuel economy too.. since you battery is at 65%

while your on the move, jump out of the car once in a while and run behind it. Very effective.

banku banku :grinning-smiley-003:

No I checked the condition of battery itwas more than 65%, earlier I used mixed octane 90 and 95, now am only using 90 octane only

If your battery is at 65% that means it obviously no longer has maximum capacity, which means you will experience a reduction in efficiency.

On a side note, where is our resident Hybrid champion? Perhaps he didnt see the thread because it doesn't mention the model.... Must fix that and see.

If your foot is heavy it won't use the motor and will be burning petrol as a normal car would. But if all other factors are consistent, the battery would be f*ed as mentioned earlier.

Think to yourself you made a good choice switching to 90 so you can save even more money ahead of the repair!

I don't know how hybrids work, does it have a normal battery as well? like any normal gasoline, diesel cars do? if so try removing that battery wires and put it back. :speechless-smiley-019:

How is removing and re-inserting the battery cables supposed to increase his fuel economy? If you don't know what you are talking about, then STFU. BTW the prius does have a standard battery too.

First check your 12V battery.

Prius uses the main battery to charge the 12V battery, if the 12V battery is week it will keep drawing power from the main battery. This reduces fuel economy drastically. Check ur 12V or replace whith a exact same model which has a breather hole.

Hope this helps.

Edited by xlr8r
  • Like 1

No I checked the condition of battery itwas more than 65%, earlier I used mixed octane 90 and 95, now am only using 90 octane only
when you say 65%, do you mean that the charge level of battery was at 65% when you checked (can't be because you can already see that information on the dash, can't you?) or only 65% of the battery is in good working order now?

If the latter is the case, then you've got a huge problem already haven't you mate? Changing individual cells as Mr. Sylvi has suggested may be the solution, if that can be done in SL.

Otherwise better send the Prius to the scrap heap and spend the money which you would have otherwise spent on replacing the whole battery, to buy a so called non-environmentally-freindly car like the rest of us.

• Like 1

Guys,

If you'll can help this fellow its appreciated! But please don't be offensive/sarcastic coz thats really rude!

Its like hating Justin Bieber for no reason u'll hate the prius! Now don't tell me i own a prius. I Dont!

Peace

Are you Justin Bieber's mommy? If so you still deserve to be b!tch-slapped for the waste of life you created!

• Like 1