• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Buying A Nissan X-Trail

dinesh_gd2003

Go for the Brand new imported manual, I think it has a 2.4-2.5 l engine which is for some reason was giving better than the JDM 2.0 auto.

Friend had one long time back brought brand new from A** and he use to get around 8/12 kmpl Colombo/ Outstation

The reason i am a bit concerned about fuel is because the vehicle will be a daily runner. But i have been fairly warned by everyone about the high maintenance costs., best bet would be for me to get a well maintained vehicle..

Good luck.............

Guys, so i thought about it a lot and have decided to upgrade my budget to about 3.5 million, since i planning to use the SUV i buy for at least 5 more years. What would be my options now?

I saw some Totyota Rav4J's which fit my new budget.

Guys, so i thought about it a lot and have decided to upgrade my budget to about 3.5 million, since i planning to use the SUV i buy for at least 5 more years. What would be my options now?

I saw some Totyota Rav4J's which fit my new budget.

may i know why you specifically want a crossover/SUV?

may i know why you specifically want a crossover/SUV?

Here are the reasons why:

• For daily office running (So at least should be marginally economical on fuel)
  • I travel outstation a lot on weekends with the family, so i need a vehicle with very good ground clearance
  • Vehicle should be spacious to carry at least 5 people with luggage
  • Should not be too old, at least 2000/2001 model

• For daily office running (So at least should be marginally economical on fuel)
  • I travel outstation a lot on weekends with the family, so i need a vehicle with very good ground clearance

other than for #3 (that too partially), I don't think you necessarily need this for the reasons mentioned above.

other than for #3 (that too partially), I don't think you necessarily need this for the reasons mentioned above.

Even cars can carry 4 adults and 1 kid.

I think OP should go for a car

Even cars can carry 4 adults and 1 kid.

I think OP should go for a car

@ Dinesh

I guess the key reason is not listed down hence the reasoning does not come out well

u need the suv to show off the rest on the road.fair enough:-)

A station wagon would fit this criteria too I suppose, the only drawback there would your need for a lot of ground clearance, but the fuel efficiency would be better than that of an SUV and it would be more affordable which means you could buy a newer model and still stay within budget.

Exactly where do you travel outstation? 80% of the time or more are you going to be sticking to paved roads? If so you could consider a station wagon as well...

Guys, these were only the practical aspects.. but i have really wanted to own an SUV for the longest time, and now i have got the chance. :)

Also, what can you tell me about the Honda CRV RD5, i got some feedback mentioning that it is a good jeep? and even good on fuel when compared with Other SUV's

Have any of you used this vehicle?

What can you "Show off" in an X-Trail, get a proper SUV if you want to "show off"!!!!! :sport-smiley-003:

Edited by CJ5

@ Dinesh

I guess the key reason is not listed down hence the reasoning does not come out well

Some people may buy Suvs for show off,

But actually they are bought because they are more practical to use,

now that the initial cost of buying one has droped down to around a price of a car it seems to be a smart choice.

In Sri lankan roads with constant small pot halls in a car we would have to slow down each time and it's a head ache.

But in an SUV we can drive at the same speed making it's average speed higher than when going in a car,

Practically it saves me a lot of time.

And saves me a lot of thinking as in a car we should think 3D that means the pot halls in the road while in the SUV only need to worry about not hitting anything.

And for Dinesh altough you extended you'r budget the X-trail seems to be better than the Rav-4 and CR-V, me thinks,

If you are worried about fuel at 3.5mill you will have a chance to look for a diesel sportage(2007)

or you can go for a well looked after fully loaded X-trail(around 2003)

Guys, these were only the practical aspects.. but i have really wanted to own an SUV for the longest time, and now i have got the chance. :)

Also, what can you tell me about the Honda CRV RD5, i got some feedback mentioning that it is a good jeep? and even good on fuel when compared with Other SUV's

Have any of you used this vehicle?

I'd prefer the CRV for on-road use which is pretty much what you're going to use it for too I feel. Plus the reliability ratings are pretty good for that vehicle. Everyone who's got one seems to really like it.

Well then you should defiantly get an SUV. Personally I'm not big on SUV's hence the suggestion of a station wagon but at the end of the day, you're going to be driving it / owning it therefore if you're not happy with it, what's the point?

All the best on your purchase.

:grinning-smiley-003:

Edited by Kavvz

I had a 2003 CRV (don't remember the model number). It was a good car in many aspects and my requirement was 95% paved-road use.

However, at the few times I took it for some mild off road, the 4WD system failed miserably. The car is basically a front wheel drive with the 4WD supposed to kick-in automatically when front wheels loose traction. This means by the time the rear wheel come into action the front wheels have already dug into the ground, especially if you are on sand.

Go for the X-trail, in which you get an on-dash switch to manually lock-in the 4WD mode when needed.

Be prepared for horrendous fuel economy as every one else have also said, specially if most of your driving is going to be crawling in rush hour traffic

Edited by HardHat

Some people may buy Suvs for show off,

But actually they are bought because they are more practical to use,

now that the initial cost of buying one has droped down to around a price of a car it seems to be a smart choice.

In Sri lankan roads with constant small pot halls in a car we would have to slow down each time and it's a head ache.

But in an SUV we can drive at the same speed making it's average speed higher than when going in a car,

Practically it saves me a lot of time.

And saves me a lot of thinking as in a car we should think 3D that means the pot halls in the road while in the SUV only need to worry about not hitting anything.

And for Dinesh altough you extended you'r budget the X-trail seems to be better than the Rav-4 and CR-V, me thinks,

If you are worried about fuel at 3.5mill you will have a chance to look for a diesel sportage(2007)

or you can go for a well looked after fully loaded X-trail(around 2003)

@Clark's son, i could not agree with you more. Some of the by lanes i come across in, deep in the heart of Colombo, is ridiculous. Even recently, the bottom of my car ended up getting damaged, thanks to a massive crater in the middle, of the road, And mind you, i am currently driving a mazda 323 which has a decent amount of ground clearance for a car.

I had a 2003 CRV (don't remember the model number). It was a good car in many aspects and my requirement was 95% paved-road use.

However, at the few times I took it for some mild off road, the 4WD system failed miserably. The car is basically a front wheel drive with the 4WD supposed to kick-in automatically when front wheels loose traction. This means by the time the rear wheel come into action the front wheels have already dug into the ground, especially if you are on sand.

Go for the X-trail, in which you get an on-dash switch to manually lock-in the 4WD mode when needed.

Be prepared for horrendous fuel economy as every one else have also said, specially if most of your driving is going to be crawling in rush hour traffic

Regarding the Honda, My mechanic has the same sentiments in terms of reliability, maintenance, as well as fuel economy, How much did it average on fuel? was it an automatic? i am presuming the engine was 2000CC

Regarding the Honda, My mechanic has the same sentiments in terms of reliability, maintenance, as well as fuel economy, How much did it average on fuel? was it an automatic? i am presuming the engine was 2000CC

Honda is one the most reliable vehicle makers throughout the world. Basically if you maintain the vehicle well, it will respect you back. Just a sugesstion, why not an Honda HR-V. Manual one does about 12/13 Kmpl in city, and CVT one is about 9/10 Kmpl in city.

• 10 months later...
Anyone with experience with the new x-trail diesel

About reliability, kmpl

Bro in law got one.Pretty good. only 10k run yet, so don't really expect problems. OK on the rough stuff, but would probably be a lot better with proper tires, it has low pros. Good road manners. Quite smooth. As in have to look at the speedo to realize you are over the speed limit smooth.

Mixed cycle is around 12. I feel a little underpowered when overtaking but then, its a rather large vehicle.

Actually if you are referring to the (N)T32 series....I test drove one in Japan in late February.

I was a bit disappointed to be honest. The outside was typically Murano like curvy but there was a unit with some body kit on it which looked quite nice. Was pretty well spec's for a standard unit.

It came only with a 2.0ltr gasoline engine. It is a lot heavier and a bit longer than the the (N)T31 series. The result was it was very very sluggish compared to the NT31. The ECO mode just made it even more so. Apparently for now they only have the 2.0ltr in Japan with a possible Hybrid on the way.

Also it had a weird body roll to it (not that other cross-overs don't have it..this was just more than the others), it felt like getting flung out and then getting grabbed on to buy something. Did some reading up and apparently the JDM variant comes with some fancy electronic suspension which I reckoned cold be the reason. The steering was light (almost, unfortunately, Toyota like but not to that extent) but you felt where the wheels were pointing and you could get them to point the direction you wanted them to (almost wierd); but unfortunately the rest of the car needed a bit of time to catch up with the front wheels.

On the plus side just normal driving in the city and at highway speeds it is pretty comfortable and smooth.

The cabin was nice and not too plasticy and had fake leather that didn't feel cheap. I drove this soon after driving a VEZEL and the interior finish somehow didn't feel as refined as a VEZEL.

Right now the Clean Diesel version that is offered in Japan is the NT31 series. No idea if and when a (N)T32 series will be offered in a CD version in Japan. If SL agents are saying they will be having a CD version in June then there might be one coming up and hopefully it will be a bit more peppy.

Despite the sluggishness, etc, I think it will be a nice comfy choice to crawl around in town (Colombo) and cruise on highways. But if you are going to be regularly hauling a lot of people/weight or driving up hills (like in Nagasaki) the sluggishness might bet a bit annoying.

Edited by iRage