• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Good Jeep Below 38 Lks

imalone

Question

9 answers to this question

Hilux surf is just a double cab with a additional passenger area.

.......but having coil spring suspension at the rear making it more comfy than the rear leaf spring suspension double cab. :)

Hilux surf is just a double cab with a additional passenger area.

Actually yes and no...

Yes if you are referring to the the first and second generation Hilux Surfs (which I think falls between the OPs budget range) are Double cabs with a SUV body....especially the first gen. IFS and coil springs in the back were introduced 2nd gen onwards.

No if you are referring to the 3rd generation (1996) on wards, it shares everything with the Prado of the same generation. Same engine, same gear box,same suspension...just a different body. I owned two 2700cc versions and found it a lot more peppier and nippy to drive than the equivelant Prado as it was a lot lighter (granted it didn't have the bells and whistles of the Prado)...

Second gen's rear suspension setup is prone to problems that leads to the rear end hanging down and sagging....

The 3rd gen Hilux Surf is still quite popular in Japan (cheap, and offered same 4x4 as a Prado)....I still see quite a few on the roads (more than Prados etc) despite it being more than 10 years old (quite rare for Japan)....After the 4th gen, it was scratched off in Japan because it was as expensive as the Prado of the same vintage and lost out market share.

Edited by iRage