• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Concerns On Setting Up An Alloy-Wheel Set

zee boy

Question

Guys-

I am thinking of setting up an alloy wheel set for my FIT hybrid car. The questions I have is -

Would it do any good or bad to the vehicle performance and fuel consumption as I have heard various stories on alloy wheel performance. Please advice.

20 answers to this question

Well I'm not an expert, but I can say it will depends on multiple factors which ultimately determine you wheels Inertia compared with new wheel Inertia.

Inertia depends on the material ( whether it heavier or lighter ) and distribution of material in the wheel ( in a same weight wheel if more constituent located outer side/ border it will have more inertia.)

If Inertia high in a wheel will have high Angular Momentum ( Difficulty of start rotation, change the direction of the rotation and to stop the rotation ), and thus need high Angular kinetic energy.

If it utilize high energy that will affect fuel consumption as well as performance

Well for performance will depends on many factors hope automotive experts will comment here.

What I can say is if above criteria goes high it will negatively affect Acceleration and breaks as well as cornering but if you go for wider but lighter tyre by keeping above criteria constant you can have good traction thus good handling.

Actually to advice regarding tyre brand wheel brands wheel material , I'm also new to this field still reading.

To suggest a place you haven't mentioned where you're from.

Go through forum topics all these has discussed earlier and please do a search. here are some.

1. http://forum.autolanka.com/topic/15271-alloy-wheels-and-tyre-change-advise/?hl=%2Balloy+%2Bwheels

2. http://forum.autolanka.com/topic/14528-corolla-ae-110-fuel-consumption-issues/page-2#entry244091

Oh FFS!! Just go and get the alloys already! Damn these thel hinganno!!

If you're so concerned about efficiency as to worry about alloy weight then sell your kidneys, one lung and half your liver. There I saved you 20 kilos in weight!!

On a serious note, good alloys will be lighter than steel wheels so you'll be doing better petrol

• Like 3

Thanks Charith H Jayasinghe and Crosswind for your valuable ideas.

Dude Komisiripala

- you have a serious problem buddy...I can imagine your mind set looking at your profile pic.

Well I think few reasons why car buyers choose a specific vehicle model are-

Reliability/Durability

Interior Comfort

Exterior Styling

Gas Mileage

Performance

Advanced Technology

Safety

So I did not think it would offend someone if I get some clarifications on vehicle Performance and Gas Mileage..and you know It's not only me who concern on the Oil dude its just all car manufacturing industries including Toyota..as well as most of developing countries have taken this in to consideration. Don't get angry over everything buddy..world is beautiful out there...

And thanks a lot for your serious note. It helps....

• Like 4

Oh I'm not angry. I'm just amused at how you guys worry so much over such a minuscule percentage. The economy you would lose/gain by adding alloys is, to me, ridiculously small.

You'd be saving more if you bought a ten year old non hybrid car on which you didn't have to pay a 70,000 rupee lease every month.

Think about that. Buddy.

• Like 2

Well..+1 on Komi's serious note. If you are so worried about alloys spoiling your fuel economy and performance...why not just buy an original Honda set that comes with the FIT Hybrid ? I am pretty sure you can hunt some down or at least get it ordered (through the logic of the above posts Honda should know best and would have factored those in during design)? Not sure about the price though...

I can appreciate people being concerned about fuel consumption figures considering how erratic the cost of car ownership can be (more towards the expensive side) in SL, but it is a shame, and don't forget, to enjoy your car and use it for what you have to use it for. Good job on the FIT Hybrid...it is a much more nicer Hybrid to drive than one of those "metal box raped by an alien" Prii and Insights...

Secondly, kudos on your environmental concerns...yes the world is a nice place (which can also be a complete and harsh bi*!tc#) :). However, factoring in long term production and ownership of Hybrids has for ages sparked the debate of whether Hybrid cars are actually more environmentally friendly than a normal non-Hybrid car.... (but then that is a different thread altogether that has been discussed to death)

Well I think few reasons why car buyers choose a specific vehicle model are-

Reliability/Durability

Interior Comfort

Exterior Styling

Gas Mileage

Performance

Advanced Technology

Safety

You forgot the most important one, gotta impress/outdo the Silva's and Perera's down the lane. So many people would compromise safety, comfort, actual needs, the children's tuition fund, just to impress the neighbours.

You forgot the most important one, gotta impress/outdo the Silva's and Perera's down the lane. So many people would compromise safety, comfort, actual needs, the children's tuition fund, just to impress the neighbours.

you can add 99.999% of the local medical types to that list. some of them don't even have a house. but there's a bright red P on the number plate.

on topic, yes, as irage said kudos on the fit hybrid. nice little car. a whole heap beter looking than the prius aqua. and I bet more fun to drive too

I changed mine with 6 X 15" wheels bought from JJ Lanka few weeks ago and no difference in consumption and performance wise.

there you go! on a related note (ey haa sambandha prashnayak) JJ lanka has some really nice alloys men. bloody hell they're reborn after burning down! patta sira!

there you go! on a related note (ey haa sambandha prashnayak) JJ lanka has some really nice alloys men. bloody hell they're reborn after burning down! patta sira!

:sport-smiley-003: Komi so we will go there...

Edited by Charith H Jayasinghe

Well..., Wheels bought were definitely not Japanese branded sports OEM. Just a plain Taiwanese set! ;) post-49549-0-46511100-1376407273_thumb.j

• Like 1

Alloy wheels and fuel consumption...oh god what is this world becoming to....just put it in bro...may be you'll lose 1km per tank maximum depending on weight and aerodynamics...even i don't think so...enjoy the beauty rather than saving some milliliters of fuel......bdw if you are going to change tire sizes than recommended specs that will affect bit noticeably...

Edited by GayanR

Just make sure they're the correct offset. A known blue modified Corolla was recently shod with some really nice 5Zigens I think, however the offset was way too small and the car ended up looking like the DeLorean on train wheels.

26397hh.jpg

Edited by terrabytetango