• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Not Detecting The Intelligent Key Inside The Car But Can Lock/ Unlock Using The Key

buddikat

Question

Hello,

My car has an intelligent key. Recently when I try to turn the ignition switch it doesn’t allow to turn and key indicator lights in red. Then I place the key very near to ignition switch for few seconds, and then I can turn the ignition switch as usual way. After that the key indicator is blinking in green for 5-6 minutes and off. I have a doubt on believing the reason for this issue would be because of the draining key’s battery, but still I can turn on and off the door locks reasonable distance away from the car. Actually will this be a battery draining problem?

16 answers to this question

well i guess you have the 2nd key also with you ? if so just try with that. i feel its because of a weak battery.

I don't have it @maheshw. :sad-smiley-054: . Problem is I’m unable to isolate the issue as this not occurs always. I thought to replace the battery first and before that I decided to post this here to look any other better option.

What are the steps to be taken Incase of I don't have second intelligent key & if I keep the intelligent key inside the car by mistake and if it get locked.How to get it unlocked ?

Quick response will be appreciated

Thanking you

Nissan cdj

Smash the Window, or insert and tap the switch using Metal wire through weather strip (Beading). same happened to our Family's Premio, now Weather strip is damaged and required replacement.

What are the steps to be taken Incase of I don't have second intelligent key & if I keep the intelligent key inside the car by mistake and if it get locked.How to get it unlocked ?

Thanking you

Nissan cdj

Then it is not "intelligent" :speechless-smiley-004:

Then it is not "intelligent" :speechless-smiley-004:

Intelligence in these things last only as long as the battery does

Had it happen to me twice in two cars because the battery in the fob died. Thankfully I had the second key close by. Over here you are supposed to call your nearest Toyota dealer so it really doesn't apply in SL.

Hello,

My car has an intelligent key. Recently when I try to turn the ignition switch it doesn’t allow to turn and key indicator lights in red. Then I place the key very near to ignition switch for few seconds, and then I can turn the ignition switch as usual way. After that the key indicator is blinking in green for 5-6 minutes and off. I have a doubt on believing the reason for this issue would be because of the draining key’s battery, but still I can turn on and off the door locks reasonable distance away from the car. Actually will this be a battery draining problem?

Replace the battery on the key and try.

Thanking you

Nissan cdj

Can the car be locked while the intelligent key is inside??? At least in the Nissan Teana it cannot be done. With the intelligent key inside if the lock button on the door handle is touched from the outside three beeps sound and the doors will not lock.

I thought you have remote lock with cars with intelligent keys, and people always used that to lock cars using that. While the key is inside why would the car lock? (is it because the battery was weak)?

To be honest having the car towed to Toyota might be cheaper than having the window replaced after smashing it. Earlier cars came with a physical key integrated into the intelligent key which you can use to open the door, when the key stops working.

You should always keep a spare key. Have found this the hard way.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="CJ5" data-cid="267252" data-time="1412578937"><p>

<sub class='bbc'> </sub><br />

<sub class='bbc'>Replace the battery on the key and try.</sub><br />

<br />

<br />

<br />

Can the car be locked while the intelligent key is inside??? At least in the Nissan Teana it cannot be done. With the intelligent key inside if the lock button on the door handle is touched from the outside three beeps sound and the doors will not lock. </p></blockquote>

It can happen if the key FOB's battery is dead or too weak. I believe it can happen in any car. What makes it difficult to happen is that it is hard to lock the doors of new cars without the key and requires a bit of a process or a combination of things to be done to achieve it (like the old fashioned way of locking from inside and closing the door pulling the door handle++++++)

In one of my cases (rav4) i pulled over to a parking lot. All the doors were locked , shifted the gear in to P and got down with the fob still inside. The drivers side door automatically unlocks when opening from inside. I closed it and walked away and when i came back the doors were locked.

Second time was a xtrail which wifey managed to lock up. No idea what she did.

Interesting, complications bought over by modern gadgets. I found in the olden days, to prevent this, you could not lock the drivers door any other way from outside without the key. You can of course lock from inside, get out from another door, lock that and end up in a mess....

So the car locks itself after a certain period?

So the car locks itself after a certain period?

Not sure about other cars, but my RAV4 locked itself up thanks to the "wonderful and brilliant" security system. Apparently I put the system in to limbo when I didn't "unlock" and just opened the drivers side door and closed it behind me and not lock it up. Since the key was not detected (thus not inside the car) it just locked it up as the doors were supposed to be still "locked" mode.

On the other hand I did try to lock the door with the key fob inside and fully charged and it refused to lock. I even tried getting out of the passenger doors and still had no success (hmm..maybe if I had rolled the windows down and gotten out that way...).

Not sure about other cars, but my RAV4 locked itself up thanks to the "wonderful and brilliant" security system. Apparently I put the system in to limbo when I didn't "unlock" and just opened the drivers side door and closed it behind me and not lock it up. Since the key was not detected (thus not inside the car) it just locked it up as the doors were supposed to be still "locked" mode.

On the other hand I did try to lock the door with the key fob inside and fully charged and it refused to lock. I even tried getting out of the passenger doors and still had no success (hmm..maybe if I had rolled the windows down and gotten out that way...).

Did your car have a normal key back up?

My car for instance does not, but its not intelligent key either. So if the keys lose power I have no way of locking or unlocking the car.

Did your car have a normal key back up?

Yes...kind of....the key fob has a little metal strip/key that is latched on the side of the fob that can be slid in and out <see image for reference...>. The driver's side door has a key hole for locking and unlocking. Also, as long as the key fob is not detected inside the car you can lock it the old fashioned way of locking the doors from the driver's master switch and closing the door with the outside handle pulled out.

Toyota-Prius-Smart-Key-Fob-Battery-Repla

Haven't looked in to it or tried it myself but maybe it might be possible to cut a duplicate of this key. Might be worth it a try if one does not have a duplicate key fob. If a duplicate can be made can't see why it wouldn't work as it doesn't seem to have any sensors built in to the key itself and you do not need to hold the key fob close to the door or anything for the door to get unlocked by it....